Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

With slugs, the mid-range TTK is actually pretty low for the more accurate guns like Scattercannon and Mattock. Still poo poo-poor DPM, though, which is why they take quite a bit of learning to use.

Buckshot is garbage, never use it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Polyakov
Mar 22, 2012

I do have to disagree with you, i use hacksaws on my max with just plain buckshot and i find myself much more equipped to take a room than i do with my dual mutilator TR max, you are pulping a man a shot and if there is an enemy max in there he will just lose if he doesnt run. Sprint in the door to get to the center of the room and just wreck whatever is around you till you run out of shells and you've probably caused enough damage for your team to take the room. Going in as TR sure i get a couple people but i dont kill them fast enough and i get rocketed down as quick as a flash; i wouldnt trade the NC max for anything either because i enjoy being the metaphorical 800 pound gorilla in close quarters, you are significantly better than they are inside effective shotgun range, the only thing i lost too was a lockdown pounder max that started shooting me the second i sprinted in.

A room isnt big enough that you cant sprint across it, you just accept the fact you will either win completely or die, sometimes both, and embrace the shotgun.

But with regards to the NC max, falcons are a very good option in their class, and mattock slug maxes are suprisingly good as an AI arm for longer range, you can beat other AI arm maxes with that, you wont beat comets or pounders but falcons can do that.

E:

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

With slugs, the mid-range TTK is actually pretty low for the more accurate guns like Scattercannon and Mattock. Still poo poo-poor DPM, though, which is why they take quite a bit of learning to use.

Buckshot is garbage, never use it

Take that back you hound! Buckshot is fantastic if you play around it and accept its limitations.

Davethulhu
Aug 12, 2003

Morbid Hound

PRESIDENT GOKU posted:

Certainly, I've come to terms with it many months ago. But I have sunk a good bit of money into a particular faction and up and leaving it doesn't make much sense.

Did you have anything valuable to say?

I think "stop posting" is the most valuable advice I can give.

Ass_Burgerer
Dec 3, 2010

NC MAX shotgun arms used to be all kinds of bull feces back in the olde beta days, maybe not zephyr levels of OP, but definitely so compared to their different colored peers. Since then they have been rightly nerfed to where they are now.

That being said;

Pros of shotgun arms:
*kill someone coming around a corner before they can react.
*melt MAXs at close range.
*Access to slugs, which are terrifying BS, btw.

Cons of shotgun arms:
*easy to empty your clip quickly and long reload.
*Very difficult to suppressive-fire an area

Shotgun arms having access to slug gives them much more killing potential at medium range at the cost of some close range alpha damage(which they have plenty of already). EHF can elaborate on #sluglyfe MAXs if you want. Sure they can't shoot endlessly like the auto arms can, but the can dump their payload of damage really fast, which means they can drop their targets really fast. The tradeoff, of course, is long reload times. The mythic smart NC MAXs mitigate this weakness by going into cover or using their shield while reloading.

While using the buckshot, you can become an indoor terror. Either camping a doorway and droping dudes with 2 mouse clicks (RB+LB) or hopping around a corner where you know there's a mass of dude behind cover and chainsawing a handful of them before going right back to cover. These are things that shotgun arms are supremely best at, compared to auto-arms which can't camp doors (the targets would likely get away before dying) and can maybe drop a max of 2 dudes while peeking around a hot corner.
----------
Pros of auto-arms:
*Big magazines
*decent reload speed
*good range
*can perform suppressive fire on an area.

Cons of auto-arms:
*slow DPS / low alpha

Auto arms can kill dudes at a decent pace out to medium range and are generally easy to use. Their large magazine sizes and semi-quick reloads allow them to just keep firing until their target is dead. The tradeoff here is TTK. Infantry peasants have a few seconds to respond to this, either by scrambling into cover or activating their shield and/or medkit-tank to safety. Getting each kill takes some time with auto arms, which means there's a little downtime with each kill, whereas with shotgun arms you get your kills in large chunks. Auto-arms have their downtime spread out across their entire magazine in the form of lower DPS. Shotgun arms have their downtime moved to their reload speed instead.
-----------

TL;DR:
At the end of the day, it's up to you to use your tools wisly and to play to their strengths rather than trying to force square peg into round hole. As a shotgun MAX, you want to use you human brain and tactics to avoid medium-long range fights with auto-arm MAXs and get close to them; and as an auto-arm MAX, you want to use your human brain and tactics to avoid getting into close range fights with shotgun MAXs and stay at range because otherwise you'd get buttstomped.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

Davethulhu posted:

I honestly didn't expect any better.

Ass_Burgerer posted:

TL;DR:
At the end of the day, it's up to you to use your tools wisly and to play to their strengths rather than trying to force square peg into round hole. As a shotgun MAX, you want to use you human brain and tactics to avoid medium-long range fights with auto-arm MAXs and get close to them; and as an auto-arm MAX, you want to use your human brain and tactics to avoid getting into close range fights with shotgun MAXs and stay at range because otherwise you'd get buttstomped.

Literally every MAX is an indoor terror. I've never once looked at an NC MAX and thought 'well he might not have SLUGS so gently caress it I'll head in.' Any MAX in any room is a serious problem I don't head into unless I have a squad of dudes, or two other MAXes.

All MAX classes do outrageous damage at close range, NC MAXes don't have a distinct advantage in this. The distinct DISadvantage is NC MAXes are garbage at anything outside of close range, which has been my stupid point all along. Get up close to any MAX and you're dead in less than a second as a man, as a skillsuit man your NC MAX will only win if they can land every single pellet in every single shot they take, with both arms where your auto arm MAX will just LMB+RMB and ADADAD until the NC MAX is dead.

Or they'll just back up and chortle as your pellets become less and less effective while they are still able to effectively kite you with their better arms.

lite_sleepr fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Dec 4, 2014

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003
Double shitpost.

Imapanda
Sep 12, 2008

Majoris Felidae Peditum
If I get the safe landing implant as light assault can I just ski around everywhere like in Tribes?

Mimesweeper
Mar 11, 2009

Smellrose

Imapanda posted:

If I get the safe landing implant as light assault can I just ski around everywhere like in Tribes?

Ever since I tried safe landing III on light assault I can't use anything else or I forget and kill myself.

It's really really good for getting above people and ambushing them with a smg.

Ass_Burgerer
Dec 3, 2010

PRESIDENT GOKU posted:

Literally every MAX is an indoor terror.

But at close range with an auto-armed MAX, there is a little bit of time to respond, sometimes its irrelevant as they can't do anything significant anyway and other times they can escape or get a deci shot off at you. Close range with shotgun arms there is no response. Go around a corner and see an NC MAX, you might as well take your hands off the keyboard. The option of turning back around into cover without breaking sprint or turning on HA shield isn't there. Unless you miss horribly, but everyone misses shots even auto-armed MAXs.

Not only that, but NC MAXs have a medium range option that rivals auto-arms in terms of effectiveness in the form of slugs. It doesn't change the reload time issue but it can still beat auto arms in terms of TTK. And NC maxlords love their slugs. Auto-armers don't have this option or flexibility. They will never be able to compete with NC's buckshots at close range and 96+/96+ biofarms.

Again, as an NC MAX you need to not be getting shot while you're reloading unless you know you can get away with it. You shouldn't be getting hit while reloading if you can avoid it. It's all about playing peekaboo whether with slugs or buckshot. Auto-arms can't use the peekaboo tactic and must stay in LoS for longer periods of time to dish out that damage, which is a slower output than that of shotgun MAXs. You may not think that one or 2 seconds difference is big, but it is.

Ass_Burgerer fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Dec 4, 2014

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Okay, here's the skinny on the #SLUGLYFE:

1) Always use charge, and max it out. This is your get out of jail free card OR your surprise sex power button. Do not use it offensively unless you know you have backup, but if you do you should for sure be using it offensively. Mastery of the SlugMAX is 90% becoming really good at knowing how/when to Charge and 10% getting good with slugs. Aegis is garbage and doesn't block anything and it removes your ability to remove yourself from the fight AND fight back.

2) Never magdump unless your target is right up in your face. Shotguns bloom like mad and these are no exception. Fire, wait a fraction of a second, fire again. Be still when doing so if you can, and crouch if you can. Both of these will reduce the base COF.

3) Do not go for headshots. It increases the likelyhood you'll miss and slugs only have a 1.5x modifier. Out to 12m, 2 bodyshots will kill in any case, so going for body shots is good sense. Aim for the sternum to minimize the chance of leg shots, one of which will increase your shots to kill on the target by 50% regardless of range.

4) Which arms are best? Whichever ones you already have exmags unlocked on. In a position to choose? I'm extremely fond of my Slugsaws. The reload is poo poo but the reload is poo poo for all arms, and they need to be feathered for any kind of accuracy at mid-long range, but the option to be able to go full auto and dump out 10,000 damage worth of slugs in an instant is extremely useful. New to slugs? Grinders with exmags.

5) Buckshot is hot loving garbage. Never use buckshot. The damage dropoff is a sheer cliff, so extreme that unless you're using Mattocks, slugs will put more hurt on target starting at 9m. That ain't that far. The main thing though? Good players will abuse you if you are using buckshot because they know you are worthless >20m. Even good players don't expect to get slug sniped though.

6) Lots of enemy MAXes around? Run kinetic armor. It's retardedly effective, and flak doesn't do poo poo against AV arms or rocket launchers anyway

7) Maximize your mobility. If you run in a circle for 5 seconds you will reach infantry sprint speed. Get in the habit of doing this, as it will save you using a charge to get across dangerous ground.

8) Slug hit hard. HARD. 500 out to 12m, and 334 out to 30m. That means a 2 shot kill out to 12m and a 3 shot kill in all other scenarios. If you've got someone in your sights and you aren't almost dead, you have the advantage, regardless of anything else. The main takeaway here is to take. your. time. and let your COF settle between shots. Firing once and then again 0.2sec later means you just put out 2,000 damage accuracy in 1/5 of a second, enough to kill 2 people from full. If you magdump, you'll hit 1-2 shots total and the rest will be hail marys. That's a combined 10,000 DPS.

9) Come at people from odd angles, and if there are no odd angles, just charge them. If there's 4-5 and you've got good aim and you end your charge right in the middle of them, odds are you're going to win. You're going to be helpless afterwards so check that minimap first, but sometimes it's worth it to just rush in and pulp some bitches.

10) Always take all shots available to you, ESPECIALLY when you're getting used to slugs. Try to do everything to maximize your accuracy and land shots. What the hell is a LA with a carbine going to do to you from 30m away? Nothing, so take your time and line up your shot. Best part? They will just stand there and let you kill them, even if you just blew his buddy right next to him the gently caress up. Running slugs means you run into this scenario all the time, I'm not even exaggerating here.

11) Running around as a walking tank with twin autocannons isn't intuitive because there's nothing else even remotely similar in the game. Infantry shotguns with slugs play entirely differently even, because an NC MAX is firing 2 slugs at once. Give yourself time to adapt, and don't listen to naysayers. People with 25 total combined kills with slugs will tell you they're horrifically inaccurate, they're all RNG, they're bad against MAXes, etc etc etc. People with thousands and thousands will tell you to run slugs RIGHT NOW.

12) Don't theorycraft too much. On paper, taking slugs means you're losing out on a substantial amount of damage per click, but in reality you're gaining a whole lot because it's focused and doesn't drop off nearly as badly in damage. I've not once run into a situation where I wasn't able to one-clip an enemy MAX that I engaged in the 5-15m sweet spot where landing shots is all but assured. Nobody is ever full health in a big fight, and the moment they lose even a little bit the advantage swings wildly to your side. If you're running Kinetic armor as well? It'll be like a victory lap.

Give yourself time to get used to them, and minimize the downsides of the platform you're running. Maximize mobility, watch that minimap, and take every shot. If you play NC you'll be surprised at the ranges a SlugMAX is stupidly deadly at, but if you're TR/VS that sort of statement is not news in the least.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Davethulhu posted:

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003
Indar Alert woo woo!

96+ hellzerg from the TR at Mao Tech or a 96+ hellzerg from the VS at Tawrich. What lovely fight do you want to play, NC Player?

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

PRESIDENT GOKU posted:

Indar Alert woo woo!

96+ hellzerg from the TR at Mao Tech or a 96+ hellzerg from the VS at Tawrich. What lovely fight do you want to play, NC Player?

TR. AOD will run into your guns forever, whereas VS will decide to actually fight somewhere else if they can't win. Also TR puts lockdown Prowlers inside of Phoenix range, which is absolutely hilarious.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Tempest_56 posted:

TR. AOD will run into your guns forever, whereas VS will decide to actually fight somewhere else if they can't win. Also TR puts lockdown Prowlers inside of Phoenix range, which is absolutely hilarious.

This after it was just on sale right after a double xp weekend, too.

So much SCREEEEE

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

PRESIDENT GOKU posted:

Indar Alert woo woo!

That's the kind of alert where you need to hop on the TR alts and ghost cap so that maybe the VS and TR will fight each other somewhere?

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

PRESIDENT GOKU posted:

Hey thread, Good Poster Goku here to try and have a discusso about MAX arms.

Can anyone tell me why the TR and VS get infantry farming MAX arms that come with 50+ (100+ in TR case) bullets that fire fully automatic? Then, while keeping a straight face, explain why the NC max only gets arms with 12 shots max (provided you use grinders with extended mags) that fire semiauto? Then go on to defend your faction MAX arms that are accurate to the length of a shield gen room like in The Bulwark, or from across the vehicle bay at a base like The Crown? Wading hip deep in shitters as a Blueshift or Mercy MAX makes you feel like a space marine because you can literally wipe a room out of dudes without needing to pause to reload. An NC max can poke its big head in, FWOOM FWOOM FWOOM maybe 4 dudes before reloading for 4 seconds and having 2/3s of its health taken by small arms fire.

How can anyone contend that this is a balanced system with any shred of intellectual integrity?

We're usually playing with a couple squads to a platoon working together. With medic and engineer backup we can get any type of max (long or short range) into the kind of position where they can shine and then support them. "Ok maxes go.... ok infantry go... rez nades only now, max needs reps by the point." goes a long way to balancing anything in our favor. Teamwork op nerf teamwork.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003
Haha KV man. KV dumps a platoon of GOKU into Tawrich with slurp sundies, holds it with 2.5 minutes left until NC responds finally and pushes them out. KV whines "it took you long enough with 70% pop, jesus" It's like, the NC took a play out of GOKU playbooks by dumping another platoon worth of dudes on a point to defend a base, only we didn't thump chests and tout ourselves as teamworkin' tactical geniuses, but to KV it's like the NC was operating at a meta level even he didn't understand.

Then some fool brings up how I must be mad at being kicked out of GOKU after he was kicked out of Tawrich. It's funny, GOKU players will bring that up every chance they get and I haven't mentioned it since it happened in February. I guess it makes their sad day :shrug:

GOKU doesn't get to condescend to anyone about being a superior outfit. They run their mouths and bitch and moan and talk as much poo poo as the worst TR and NC outfits full of the most petulant mentally stunted man-children.

lite_sleepr fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Dec 4, 2014

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

I mean you do seem to be upset. Are you upset? I don't even remember fighting at tawrich tonight, did that happen earlier? Maybe days ago?

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

PRESIDENT GOKU posted:

Haha KV man. KV dumps a platoon of GOKU into Tawrich with slurp sundies, holds it with 2.5 minutes left until NC responds finally and pushes them out. KV whines "it took you long enough with 70% pop, jesus" It's like, the NC took a play out of GOKU playbooks by dumping another platoon worth of dudes on a point to defend a base, only we didn't thump chests and tout ourselves as teamworkin' tactical geniuses, but to KV it's like the NC was operating at a meta level even he didn't understand.

Then some fool brings up how I must be mad at being kicked out of GOKU after he was kicked out of Tawrich. It's funny, GOKU players will bring that up every chance they get and I haven't mentioned it since it happened in February. I guess it makes their sad day :shrug:

GOKU doesn't get to condescend to anyone about being a superior outfit. They run their mouths and bitch and moan and talk as much poo poo as the worst TR and NC outfits full of the most petulant mentally stunted man-children.

I dunno that seems like it would be the most logical reason for why you're always being a whiny bitch about GOKU. :)

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

honda whisperer posted:

I mean you do seem to be upset. Are you upset? I don't even remember fighting at tawrich tonight, did that happen earlier? Maybe days ago?

I can ignore irritating children, but when you hear the same thing for 11 months from people who were probably not around when it happened it does begin to wear thin. We fought them at Tawrich literally 20 minutes ago.

Gobblecoque posted:

I dunno that seems like it would be the most logical reason for why you're always being a whiny bitch about GOKU. :)

I don't think I talk or post about GOKU :confused: Are you in GOON mumble and I'm talking about them, or something like that? I certainly don't remember talking about them enough to 'always being a whiny bitch about GOKU.'

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

PRESIDENT GOKU posted:

Also sort this by outfit. http://ps2alerts.com/Alert/1166

43 people, 2052 kills.

Also we bitch, moan, and talk way more poo poo than any other outfit on the server tyvm, don't compare the TR and NC's weak rear end yell meta to us. :colbert:

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

PRESIDENT GOKU posted:

I don't think I talk or post about GOKU :confused: Are you in GOON mumble and I'm talking about them? I certainly don't remember talking about them!

:stare: Uhh you literally just made a long whiny post about GOKU:

PRESIDENT GOKU posted:

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

PRESIDENT GOKU posted:

I can ignore irritating children, but when you hear the same thing for 11 months from people who were probably not around when it happened it does begin to wear thin. We fought them at Tawrich literally 20 minutes ago.

I don't think I talk or post about GOKU :confused: Are you in GOON mumble and I'm talking about them? I certainly don't remember talking about them!

We saw what happened in that "thanks frza" reddit thread.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

honda whisperer posted:

Also we bitch, moan, and talk way more poo poo than any other outfit on the server tyvm, don't compare the TR and NC's weak rear end yell meta to us. :colbert:

As a yell meta connoisseur I've found the VS to be extremely lacking as of late. Mostly the VS are embodied by a silent, dumb, stubborn persistence as embodied by the omnipresent SSGO hellzerg. They neither participate in or complain about yell chat. Either one is acceptable, but to possess of neither is the gravest of crimes.

The TR have some good people to riposte with because, as we all know, that faction is just stacked with legit mental people who have no problems projecting whatever it is that's on their mind.

I believe the fact that even the TR and VS are spamming SCREEEEE right alongside us - both in ServerSmashes and on live - is the final jewel on the NC's crown that we won for being Kings of Yell Chat :colbert:

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

PRESIDENT GOKU posted:

grats on the like 1 win :smugdog:

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

honda whisperer posted:

We saw what happened in that "thanks frza" reddit thread.

What, that I pointed out that servile ingratiation to a GOKU altfit was destructive to the overall welfare of TR?

Gobblecoque posted:

:stare: Uhh you literally just made a long whiny post about GOKU:

'Literally just making' hardly counts as 'always'.

honda whisperer posted:

43 people, 2052 kills.

And 143 TKs, second only to AOD and PHX who have over double your numbers, nice :c00l:

lite_sleepr fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Dec 4, 2014

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

This is not going to reflect well on you when you run for re-election Mr. President.

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003

PRESIDENT GOKU posted:

Ravens are poo poo

This is wrong.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

sitchelin posted:

This is not going to reflect well on you when you run for re-election Mr. President.

On my second term, babe :goku:

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

PRESIDENT GOKU posted:

What, that I pointed out that servile ingratiation of a GOKU altfit was destructive to the overall welfare of TR?

We hosed up their welfare so hard they thanked us.

PRESIDENT GOKU posted:

'Literally just making' hardly counts as 'always'.

Gotta save room for general shitposting too I guess.

PRESIDENT GOKU posted:

And 143 TKs, second only to AOD and PHX who have over double your numbers, nice :c00l:

We were lacking on the TKs but we're doing out best while steve is busy. Can't win 'em all I guess.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

honda whisperer posted:

We hosed up their welfare so hard they thanked us.

Gotta save room for general shitposting too I guess.

We were lacking on the TKs but we're doing out best while steve is busy. Can't win 'em all I guess.

Be proud of being thanked by TR playin redditors; an apt GOKU clientele

Never stop posting.

GOKU has to be the best at everything, TKs are no different.

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

Please do not get this thread locked for bullshit drama again, people.

We can shoot each other and scream in /yell at each other like civilized savages.

Broose
Oct 28, 2007

honda whisperer posted:

43 people, 2052 kills.

What was PrettyPrincess doing that alert? How do I get good too?

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Broose posted:

Decision Chart for getting kills in an Alert:

You are shooting mans?

If Yes - Keep shooting
If No - Redeploy to where you can shoot mans

Your average player seems to spend 5 minutes pulling a driving anf vehicle to a fight that lasts 1 minute (Because it is 80/20), then waits another 5 for the capture to go through.

Xae fucked around with this message at 07:32 on Dec 4, 2014

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

honda whisperer posted:

43 people, 2052 kills.

Then KV had to go one up me by leading this alert http://ps2alerts.com/Alert/1175 44 people 2759 kills. I love how VS has accepted my abuse and now react accordingly and follow orders. I call them shittys over orders then to prove it GOKU overruns the base they couldn't take with even pops, they accept their shittys and try to better themselves.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Has anyone tried to transplant Planetside 2 from one drive to another? How did you do it? I got an SSD drive recently and I'd love to minimize those loading screens when we redeploy across the continent.

Can I just move all relevant files and then run the file check from the launcher? Or is it better to uninstall everything and then reinstall on the new drive?

A Tartan Tory
Mar 26, 2010

You call that a shotgun?!

Arghy posted:

Then KV had to go one up me by leading this alert http://ps2alerts.com/Alert/1175 44 people 2759 kills. I love how VS has accepted my abuse and now react accordingly and follow orders. I call them shittys over orders then to prove it GOKU overruns the base they couldn't take with even pops, they accept their shittys and try to better themselves.

Only 5th with a 7.05 KDR? I need to up my game.

General Probe
Dec 28, 2004
Has this been done before?
Soiled Meat

Broose posted:

Zenith OP I guess? I just kinda rolled with GOKU like I always do. I'm a bit surprised I topped the killboard actually, I felt like I spent a substantial amount of time in the death screen whining about not having any beacons to spawn on

A Tartan Tory
Mar 26, 2010

You call that a shotgun?!
Talking about funny alerts.

http://ps2alerts.com/Alert/818

Over 3000 kills!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

Oh look someone made a thread about the alerts, http://www.reddit.com/r/EmeraldPS2/comments/2o81lp/great_alert/ we should make some comments about how fun that alert was.

• Locked thread