Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
atlas of bugs
Aug 19, 2003

BOOTSTRAPPING
MILLIONAIRE
ONE-PERCENTER

Eonwe posted:

but yea - goons like to use the word pubbie as some kind of insult, but goons are literally pubbies who paid 10 dollars to papa lowtax to post on a message board

and i did it in 2001, so I'm an even better goon

and you are worse

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
so that means I'm better than the 2009 and onward goons

:smug:

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

atlas of bugs posted:

worth noting that this is exactly the stuff that goons do to "have fun" in archeage

maybe we're not so different after all...

I suspect you may not be getting the joke. Goons are in Vaior. Valor is not. Vaior and Valor look drat near identical with the font in game. People are remarking that Valor has 'recruited' a lot of assholes lately because people wearing their guild tag are suddenly doing all kinds of Goony poo poo lately.

atlas of bugs
Aug 19, 2003

BOOTSTRAPPING
MILLIONAIRE
ONE-PERCENTER

SumYungGui posted:

I suspect you may not be getting the joke. Goons are in Vaior. Valor is not. Vaior and Valor look drat near identical with the font in game. People are remarking that Valor has 'recruited' a lot of assholes lately because people wearing their guild tag are suddenly doing all kinds of Goony poo poo lately.

ok thanks

sometimes i can't tell which dumb stuff is the funny stuff and which is pubbie scum assholes

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Eonwe posted:

:negative:

atlas of bugs
Aug 19, 2003

BOOTSTRAPPING
MILLIONAIRE
ONE-PERCENTER

old fyad had like "sponsor a nublet" days

widestancer i wish...i wish you were my nublet

i'd be so proud of you

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
you can sponsor me

Xexre
Jan 26, 2010

Elder Brother, you're so dreamy
:allears:

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Black Desert is going to released much earlier in the states than expected so instead of being 2015 alpha/beta 2016 release they are going to actually ship it 2015. So maybe mid year you'll see the alpha/beta.

That game looks about a hundred times better than Archage and it looks like the team behind it is more competent than XL Games plus its being published by the original korean publishers so its going to be much more solid experience than Archage. Also you cannot be cat people. Eager to see the fishing/cart/pedophile meltdowns that it will bring to these forums.

Xexre posted:

Don't play KMMOs.

Deutsch Nozzle
Mar 29, 2008

#1 Macklemore fan

Xexre posted:

Don't play KMMOs.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Put drugs in your rear end like the goons who post in tcc

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
No but there might be land or something in Black Desert so you should totally pre-order the early access edition at $150, $200 a right bargain $250. Quick order now, if not sooner.

I mean its not like there is precedent for another KMMO crashing and burning horribly after being a blatently incompetent cash grab on a completely unfixable busted open back end married to a complete lack of endgame content - right?

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I'll only do it if I can lead a band of intrepid goonfuckers

Oil!
Nov 5, 2008

Der's e'rl in dem der hills!

Ham Wrangler
The only good thing I have heard about Black Desert is they character creation is ridiculously in depth. On the flip side, there are several leveling systems, no quest experience (keep on grindin'), and it is still a KMMO.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
In the next game there needs to be a rule that if you are an eve big shot you can't decide anything ever

Except parfait, he is cool

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
also has anyone played Skyforge

how is that

Narciss
Nov 29, 2004

by Cowcaster

Eonwe posted:

In the next game there needs to be a rule that if you are an eve big shot you can't decide anything ever

Except parfait, he is cool

Go play EVE and start a splinter corp, and talk about it a lot in the SA thread. They'll go crazy

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Finndo
Dec 27, 2005

Title Text goes here.
It would be nice to have an actual thread to discuss the game, among those who still play it, without each legit post being separated by few dozen zero-content, "this game sucks which is why I quit weeks ago and people who are still having fun are wrong" posts. Maybe it's just a few people still playing but that wouldn't distinguish it from many other threads in the HMO.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
nah just post here

what needs to happen is that people don't just post a big rear end post of patch notes and say ":smug: I have everyone blocked here, but lets talk about patch notes :smug:" and then not loving comment on them yourself

Buffer
May 6, 2007
I sometimes turn down sex and blowjobs from my girlfriend because I'm too busy posting in D&D. PS: She used my credit card to pay for this.

Eonwe posted:

Put drugs in your rear end like the goons who post in tcc

Phenazepam, always a good decision. It's about harm reduction.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Finndo posted:

It would be nice to have an actual thread to discuss the game, among those who still play it, without each legit post being separated by few dozen zero-content, "this game sucks which is why I quit weeks ago and people who are still having fun are wrong" posts. Maybe it's just a few people still playing but that wouldn't distinguish it from many other threads in the HMO.

If more people were posting about the game, the off topic posts would be barely noticeable. As always, the answer is: :justpost:

Buffer
May 6, 2007
I sometimes turn down sex and blowjobs from my girlfriend because I'm too busy posting in D&D. PS: She used my credit card to pay for this.
I mean, basically if you want to play a sandbox your choices are this or EVE, and at least this isn't a single server so DRBD and his pedo-crew of EvE goons aren't in charge in this.

Finndo
Dec 27, 2005

Title Text goes here.
Just post? Okay -- I'm still trying to sell a group of 3 farms in North Two Crowns, close to the beach and spec benches (about halfway between each). Two are connected in a sort of "L" shape and the third is a plot or two away. Post or PM if interested. Thanks.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
I like how people upset about the state of this thread just pop in and say "man it would be great if we actually talked about the game!" then don't talk about the game at all. Maybe if you want to talk about the game then you should just loving do it? Did that ever occur to you?

It's the posting equivalent of gathering up your roommates and saying "guys we should really get around to cleaning this apartment!" and then immediately sitting your rear end down on the couch to play video games without any further action or comment.

Edit: oh so you don't even give a poo poo about discussing the game you just wanted to sell your poo poo. loving lol

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
buy my farm land I am poor

Deutsch Nozzle
Mar 29, 2008

#1 Macklemore fan

Finndo posted:

Just post? Okay -- I'm still trying to sell a group of 3 farms in North Two Crowns, close to the beach and spec benches (about halfway between each). Two are connected in a sort of "L" shape and the third is a plot or two away. Post or PM if interested. Thanks.

atlas of bugs
Aug 19, 2003

BOOTSTRAPPING
MILLIONAIRE
ONE-PERCENTER

Finndo posted:

jesus christ

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

I am sorry atlas, that you get to see how horrible mmo hmo is.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
just fyi guys not only is this the archeage thread, its the MMO social

ThndrShk2k
Nov 3, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Bread Liar

Eonwe posted:

You do know it's actually a demerit to have bothered signing up for this forum in the first place right?

At least lurkers like me had the fortitude to stick it out until 2009 :ironicat:
I feel bad about it every day I post.

Finndo posted:

If we're talking about land I got a kicking Bungalow and my family has a thatched and 2 smalls in south solz, a large farm in north, and I got a large in windscour
Not selling any unless my family member decides to get off his rear end and liquidate his poo poo for realcashmoney before it demolishes.

I also got 2 clippers, a rowboat, a level 30 donkey and horse, and a hauler, but those are vehicles but hey, trying to expand the conversation.
In the game there is a partyboat that is basically a houseboat. I wish I could have a houseboat to go with my floathouse(bungalow). Too bad I value my time and won't want to get that much gilda.

Warning: While UO is dated, it's concepts still stand solid. Playing the game today is a chore and I am too lazy to do that. But I will talk about it so here you go:

That's all I got. IMO housing selection aside from the bungalow is terrible and UO at least had a better system and you could go almost drown yourself, find a random island, mark it on the map, go buy a deed and then come back and put a tiny loving castle(keep) on it. (Also it cost the same to warp anywhere and the game wasn't limited by labor so warping wasn't expensive at wasted potential, just wasted time*if you're playing MMOs you have no actual potential either, so netgain :D)

It's a 20year old MMO and we still haven't made a valid modern equivalent. (SotA isn't it)
Many MMOs have modern active combat systems (Wildstar had a good take on it with AOE fields.) *yes UO wasn't too active, but that'd be an improvement to the formula it already used. You could move and attack but it was pretty hard
Albion online has the idea that most of your weapons are gonna be the same old junk and you only take good poo poo out on rare occasions, while keeping the crafting and loot system balanced enough. (player economy) plus housing
Archeage has boats and housing

I mean they have enough talent to develop these features have proven that different companies successfully made and used them(they got your money, you can't get it back), why not just recombine them? They're all parts of UO, and even UO had tons of grinding and crafting, but the only investment was time. The luck part was keeping that loving poo poo when you move it to your house unless you basically live at the bank then what a life you must lead. (some potions explode when greifers gently caress you over, you lose items anyway). Most modern MMOs use (especially KMMOs) a grindy craft based luck, where your skill determines the chance you accidentally make something -much like these devs accidentally making tons of money on bad execution-

That said, that Black Desert game looks neat, but nothing too interesting. Well except for bird hunting.
I'd play that game to shoot some loving birds in an MMO and show off my bird trophies.

ThndrShk2k fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Dec 6, 2014

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Tokaii

Narciss
Nov 29, 2004

by Cowcaster
Can we maybe shut the H*ll up about the "meta" and get back to talking about the game? I'm starting to understand why Tokaii went off on you keyboard warriors...

----------------

ThndrShk2k
Nov 3, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Bread Liar

Narciss posted:

Can we maybe shut the H*ll up about the "meta" and get back to talking about the game? I'm starting to understand why Tokaii went off on you keyboard warriors...
I don't understand, I was talking about the game. :saddowns:

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

ThndrShk2k posted:

You're fine dude

Narciss
Nov 29, 2004

by Cowcaster

ThndrShk2k posted:

Sorry, I didn't mean to unfairly malign content creators. I was referring to the other posters, the Malignants & Trolls that have plagued every incarnation of the Archeage thread.

----------------

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
from the TCC comedy thread on gbs

Narciss posted:

I find it interesting how the most harmful part of any drug is the Stigma associated with it. This thread just drives that home for me.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
this in a thread where a guy melted to death and another goon poo poo himself in a drug induced coma and had his other friend clean the poo poo off of him

by the way, this is my 2nd time mentioning it but you guys should read that thread

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Eonwe posted:

this in a thread where a guy melted to death and another goon poo poo himself in a drug induced coma and had his other friend clean the poo poo off of him

by the way, this is my 2nd time mentioning it but you guys should read that thread

That thread is equal parts amazing and horrifying. I am so utterly glad that I stayed well the hell away from any hard drugs.

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Shut up, Nick! You're not Twilight.
That thread really is amazing. I think the stories about huffing freon and not regretting it one bit were a mew low, even for TCC. Then again I didn't read far enough to see if the guy who blacked out and ordered a piano came up yet.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

To talk about houses in mmo, UO had a nice idea for the time and it is horrible today.

Game designers knew how bad it was and right after UO they started to change it for the better. Housing in UO only sorta worked since there was no auction house and houses were where you could play dress up, store stuff like a bank, and sell things all in one. If an auction house existed and the banks/inventory system were a bit easier to use, most houses wouldn't see much use.

Here is a map of UO for those who never got to play.
http://runuo.theabyss.ru/images/uokr/mir/felucca.jpg
See that area in the center north? The peninsula with a C shaped mountain on it. This was one of the largest open areas on the map and it was just full of houses. You couldn't walk straight though that without hitting someones house. It made travel worse and removed any chance of you seeing a field in the game.

Games that followed made zones for housing away from other areas since it was normally detrimental to zone design. With the change to mmos with a lot of quests, having to run through houses were not a good thing. This meant new zones or new instances. Other games just didn't put them in because there is so little reward for them.

DaoC even first said there was so little pay off that they would not do it. Then later made zones away from everything else where you could sell gear on them just like UO and it was a ghost town. They made it as content creation to retain customers or get more. A lot of effort went into designing a system barely anyone used often despite all or most of the housing plots being taken.

EQ2 made instanced apartments and people just used cities as gathering spots. There was an auction house but people complained that no one came to their homes so they added in a reduction in cost if someone walked to your apartment and bought it there.

WoW didn't do it at the start because there just wasn't a reason to do it for such a little pay off.

Star wars galaxy tried to say "Lets go back to the glory days of UO with houses" and it really wasn't that special. Often it was just ways for people to play a single player game in a mmo where they didn't have to interact with people. Some communities did happen around housing, but these were not of great majority until most people left for some balance reason or not being a mary sue jedi.

In Archeage, housing is shoe horned in so people will play it more often and stay around longer. That is the reason it is there. There are several other ways they could of done crafting and gathering, but the initial land rush is money to the company. Keeping you tied to the land and making sure subscriptions are part of that is another. These things didn't really make the game fun for most people or let them access more fun parts.

It isn't a good design to have a land rush system unless you tie it to a pay rush to have people fork over more money than they normally would. Each person who paid to get in early for housing fell for it.

Third World Reagan fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Dec 6, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
agreed about it being a pain to navigate

SWG was the ultimate kick in the nuts about this, but even Gweonid forest in Archeage was pretty poo poo to navigate because of all the housing

• Locked thread