Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Martout
Aug 8, 2007

None so deprived

Kumbamontu posted:

Pretend it's a different band. If you liked Colony, you will probably like Clayman, but it's going to be very hit-or-miss (mostly miss) for everything afterwards.

Yeah the album covers still say "In Flames" but it's a trap. I don't even know what to call the music they make now and seeing them live two years ago at a festival gave me the impression they'd rather be reading a book on the porch of their summer cottages than playing metal on a stage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IronLawnmower
Aug 28, 2014

Gorewar posted:

While Rick Rozz and Kam Lee are legends for their involvement in the development of death metal in its infancy, their interviews as well as stuff that I've read about them suggests that neither of them are the sharpest knives in the drawer.

It seems like a lot of OSDM dudes may not be the smartest. Like that guy from Malevolent Creation who hates gays and blacks. :douche:

The Clit Avoider
Aug 11, 2002

El Profesional

UltraVariant posted:

Finally gave Death Angel's Act III a listen after finishing Frolic Through the Park and This Dream Calls for Blood.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=355zC1J_NQI

:stare:

Why aren't you listening to The Ultra-Violence? It's easily their best.

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

Kumbamontu posted:

Pretend it's a different band. If you liked Colony, you will probably like Clayman, but it's going to be very hit-or-miss (mostly miss) for everything afterwards.

This. Listen to Clayman, enjoy Clayman. You could maybe even tolerate one or two songs off Soundtrack, maybe. But don't try.

The oldest song they seem to be playing is off Clayman and that's one of the songs that sounds more like the new stuff than the rest. So you'll probably get really angry at them.

Just refuse to look at the stage and you won't know better because they don't even sound the same vocally. If you don't see the logo you'll never know.

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy

Nam Taf posted:

This. Listen to Clayman, enjoy Clayman. You could maybe even tolerate one or two songs off Soundtrack, maybe. But don't try.

The oldest song they seem to be playing is off Clayman and that's one of the songs that sounds more like the new stuff than the rest. So you'll probably get really angry at them.

Just refuse to look at the stage and you won't know better because they don't even sound the same vocally. If you don't see the logo you'll never know.

I actually personally love Soundtrack but I know I'm definitely in a minority. F(r)iend is one of my favorite tracks of theirs. There's a few tolerable tracks on RtR too but not enough to listen to the whole thing. If you want the abridged post-Clayman decent songs, I would say it's:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T7kqx0FMMMo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HrOcvgirsTc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HDH8eS-iIDY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lDexCGGuIs0

Everything else is, unfortunately, poo poo. You may even think the 4 above are poo poo, in which case definitely don't listen to anything post-Clayman at all.

A TURGID FATSO
Jan 27, 2004

Here's to ya, JACKASS

IronLawnmower posted:

It seems like a lot of OSDM dudes may not be the smartest. Like that guy from Malevolent Creation who hates gays and blacks. :douche:

After reading Extremity Retained by Jason Netherton, it seems that a lot of the European OSDM guys he interviewed had their wits about them, as those were easily the most entertaining and informative passages in the book.

You also cannot talk about the ignorance of Phil Fasciana and not include this amazing bit of schadenfreude (I remember when all of this happened):

quote:

Made claims that he was shot at during a convenience store robbery, but escaped injury. Also claiming he had taken the gun and shot the robber twice, killing him. These claims were disputed by the police department, insisting no such incident took place. The only records the police had on Fasciana was a domestic dispute involving a female on April 1st, 2009.

All he wanted was chocolate milk. :smith:

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

Kumbamontu posted:

I actually personally love Soundtrack but I know I'm definitely in a minority. F(r)iend is one of my favorite tracks of theirs. There's a few tolerable tracks on RtR too but not enough to listen to the whole thing.

I do too, I will listen to most of the songs off it, though ironically not Friend. It's one of those guilty pleasures when I'm not wanting something that I need to pay more attention to.

Dark Tranquillity sort of did a simliar thing in getting a shorter, more radio-friendly sound but I think they much more gracefully retained the aspects of what made them good and continued to blend in their historical sound too. I far prefer them these days as a result.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Nam Taf posted:

Dark Tranquillity sort of did a simliar thing in getting a shorter, more radio-friendly sound but I think they much more gracefully retained the aspects of what made them good and continued to blend in their historical sound too. I far prefer them these days as a result.
They were great up through Fiction, lost some footing on We Are the Void, but Construct was just one of the most insipid, uninspired pieces of poo poo I've ever heard from Sweden. Anders Jivarp has been phoning it in for at least a decade now and seems to display less creativity and less interest on each successive release.

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W3nPFkxxYno :v:

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy

Misogynist posted:

They were great up through Fiction, lost some footing on We Are the Void, but Construct was just one of the most insipid, uninspired pieces of poo poo I've ever heard from Sweden. Anders Jivarp has been phoning it in for at least a decade now and seems to display less creativity and less interest on each successive release.

Damage Done & Character are two of my favorite albums ever and I totally agree. The whole operatic singing thing that started on We Are the Void (I think?) was the beginning of the end for me

Von Sloneker
Jul 6, 2009

as if all this was something more
than another footnote on a postcard from nowhere,
another chapter in the handbook for exercises in futility

thorsilver posted:

So I'm normally not big on prog metal, but Haken's album The Mountain has totally blown me away today. Cockroach King and Pareidolia in particular stand out for me, but truthfully this is the first time in awhile where I enjoyed just sitting and soaking in an entire album from start to finish.

Where do I go with prog metal from here? I've listened to almost nothing like this before so I'm open to any albums presenting a similar sound.

I probably should expand my progressive death metal explorations beyond just Opeth, too, I guess. No idea where to start there either.

This is more than a little late but Bound By Entrails is a fantastic band. They sort of alternate between sounding like latter day (thus proggy) Emperor and sounding like Opeth, especially in the softer passages. At other times they sound like pretty much no one I can think of. Maybe some Swedish melodic black like Sacramentum or Dissection. Possibly some Dimmu Borgir-isms but in a good way. And to boot, they use that distant, cavernous Grieghallen-style production that makes you feel like you're plummeting into an abyss.

edit: uh, after listening to a couple Haken tracks, I'm hoping you've heard Devin Townsend, especially his Ocean Machine: Biomech and Terria albums. He doesn't do the doop-doodly-doop Dream Theater rhythm noodling thing, but I hear a huge similarity in overall mood and tone. Of course if you've spent any time in the SA music forum you've probably had someone mention Devin Townsend to you.

Von Sloneker fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Dec 11, 2014

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Kumbamontu posted:

Damage Done & Character are two of my favorite albums ever and I totally agree. The whole operatic singing thing that started on We Are the Void (I think?) was the beginning of the end for me
Mikael Stanne was doing the clean vocals around Projector, and they popped up again on some of the new albums. I don't mind that, but Anders Jivarp seems to only have two remaining drumbeats: kick-snare-kick-snare, or quarter-note snare, eighth-note hi-hat over sixteenth-note double bass rolls. With all the space they give him in the production, you'd hope he would do something interesting once in awhile. I can't believe it's the same drummer that we heard on "Feast of Burden" back on Haven.

Less Claypool
Apr 16, 2009

More Primus For Fucks Sake.
I forgot how amazing Decapitated's first album is, been blasting this poo poo all day. Not to mention they were all 16 when they loving wrote it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w39lD283KEk

DroneRiff
May 11, 2009

To Battle posted:

I forgot how amazing Decapitated's first album is, been blasting this poo poo all day.

So drat true. It was the first truly brutal album I got in my teen years. I think I picked it up just because of the cover and it being on Wicked World. Was also my go to for "yeah try to pick out the lyrics in this". Gave it a spin recently and still love it. One of the few gems from my short phase of "I must have the most brutal loving metal possible!".

DroneRiff fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Dec 11, 2014

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

To Battle posted:

I forgot how amazing Decapitated's first album is, been blasting this poo poo all day. Not to mention they were all 16 when they loving wrote it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w39lD283KEk

Once Sauron left they got "weak" IMHO. And while Sauron completed the sound for me his new band, Masachist just wasn't the same without the writing of Vogg.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VqXv_H7TXEA

A shame what happened to Vitek and Covan tho. :(

If you dont know, they were on tour in Europe, their bus flipped. Vitek had to get his skull drilled open but he died later. Covan is basically a freaking vegetable now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SIoW35319lU

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Running Wild is good background noise while I make up three days of missed classwork. :v:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xzbO_IDpQAk

Less Claypool
Apr 16, 2009

Vintersorg posted:

Once Sauron left they got "weak" IMHO. And while Sauron completed the sound for me his new band, Masachist just wasn't the same without the writing of Vogg.

If you dont know, they were on tour in Europe, their bus flipped. Vitek had to get his skull drilled open but he died later. Covan is basically a freaking vegetable now.

Yeah I agree completely. Their new stuff is pretty lovely but drat Winds of Creation is like the perfect blend of technicality/brutality for me, without a lot of the noodling that a lot of bands in the genre like to do. I can't think of many albums that come close to that, early Suffocation or Crytopsy I guess.

The whole accident is really drat depressing, especially since Vitek was so loving good.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

Vintersorg posted:

That's the most metal thing I have ever heard. :black101:

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Sammy Davis Jr. Jr. is also in repose.
https://wayfarercolorado.bandcamp.com/

Pretty good proggy black metal.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Vintersorg posted:

what are they like live after all that? They're playing here in April with Suffocation, might go along if they play older material.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
Right, since we're reasonably far into December by now and I feel like typing poo poo up, here's my personal "Best metal albums of 2014" list.
It's in no particular order, except alphabetical due to me scrolling through my Foobar music library to refresh my memory.
Here goes (titles are links):

Alestorm - Sunset on the Golden Age
These guys must have some kind of magical rum keg hidden somewhere, because god drat they just won't run out of the stuff. Four albums of the same utterly silly no-fucks-given pirate party schtick, and not only are they consistently fun as hell, each album is just ever so slightly better/more entertaining than the previous one. They're pretty much starting to hit absolute peak stupid with some of these songs (I mean that as a compliment), but the couple longer songs prove they can also handle some more serious stuff. Relatively speaking.

Arch Enemy - War Eternal
The previous album was pretty forgettable, but this one has roughly 6,66 times more hooks, and better ones too. I've always liked Amott's guitar melodies a lot and this album has oodles of really good ones. Alissa White-Gluz also fills Angela's boots admirably, imo. All in all a fresh and energetic sounding album.

Audrey Horne - Pure Heavy
Pretty sure it's more or less impossible to make this kind of hard rock significantly better than this, apart from adding some more of those Thin Lizzy guitar harmonies like on Out of the City. Maybe throw some Hammond organs in the mix somewhere too. But seriously, holy christfuck this album and band just ooze quality and talent.

Falconer - Black Moon Rising
I like Falconer a lot, but never quite reached the level of fandom that their album releases would be big occasions for me. So as usual I just welcomed this album without much ceremony and grabbed it once it was out. And the next thing I noticed was I'd listened to it a whole bunch of times in a row.
Blad's vocals are just as silky smooth as before, but they added a lot of crunch to the music, and it works like a charm. The loving excellent riffs and songwriting of course help, too.

Grand Magus - Triumph and Power
Fun fact: The thickness of my chest hair has roughly tripled since I started listening to Grand Magus a few years ago. Their doom-tinged heavy metal is the fistpumpingest fistpumpery that ever fistpumped, and this album distills it to its purest, most elementary form. This stuff just gives me a nigh-irresistible urge to end every sentence with :black101:.
Hnnnggghhh :black101:

Machinae Supremacy - Phantom Shadow
Didn't quite convince me right away, but when I got my physical copy and got to really listen to it while reading the lyrics, it really opened up. I'm still not really clear on what exactly happens in the background story (this is a concept album), but getting at least a vague picture of what each song is about really helped in getting into them.
A View from the End of the World is still kinda unbeatable, but this album comes as a good second in their discog. I absolutely adore these guys' sense of melody, and while this isn't quite the kind of hit parade as A View... it still has plenty of really loving excellent songs.

Monument - Renegades
Holy NWOBHM, Batman. This is basically as pure traditional British metal as humanly possible. Like, Twin Guitar Harmonies - The Album. Or Early Iron Maiden Worship 101. But it's not just pointless rehashing in any way, it's a loving killer of an album. Apart from the instrumental and the decent power ballad, every single goddamn song is a hit. Absolutely one of the top albums of the last five years for me.

Tengger Cavalry - Ancient Call
gently caress off all you vikings and celtic fiddlers, here comes the Mongol Horde. I've never been a big fan of oriental themes, but these guys just nail them. The folky string melodies are absolutely beautiful and they play fantastically well together with the crunchy guitars. Not to mention the throat singing.
Also, goddamn Mongols = the most justified use of the gallop rythm ever.

Ronnie James Dio - This Is Your Life
Despite a couple misses (Killswitch Engage! :argh:) this is a fantastic tribute album. RIP Ronnie. :regd10:

Vader - Tibi Et Igni
I'm not a huge connoisseur of death metal, but I can well appreciate the good stuff. Somehow I always managed to avoid hearing Vader though, until three years ago when Welcome to the Morbid Reich figurativelyliterally beat down my door and repeatedly punched me in the neck. And this album is possibly even better.
I might still not listen to a whole lot of death metal, but that's just because Vader (and Bolt Thrower) are all I need.

Whispered - Shogunate Macabre
So about those oriental sounds? Well the ones on this one aren't exactly authentically Japanese, but they stilll work. Like, if Turisas are soundtrack metal for a Viking movie, Whispered is soundtrack metal for a samurai movie. Would it work as well with more generic folk/symphonic elements? I don't really know, and I don't give a drat. This poo poo is still some grade A+ melodeath.

IronLawnmower
Aug 28, 2014

Turk February posted:

After reading Extremity Retained by Jason Netherton, it seems that a lot of the European OSDM guys he interviewed had their wits about them, as those were easily the most entertaining and informative passages in the book.

You also cannot talk about the ignorance of Phil Fasciana and not include this amazing bit of schadenfreude (I remember when all of this happened):

All he wanted was chocolate milk. :smith:

That's hilarious on more than one level.

Less Claypool
Apr 16, 2009

So this band Bloodshot Dawn released an album this year that is pretty awesome. Listen to it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GZQ7-hJQLJo

EvilMoJoJoJo
Dec 9, 2004

ask me about leaving the cult of black metal and bringing jesus into your life

Job 19:17
So #MetalGate is apparently a thing now?

Brb going to go and hide until it's all over.

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

^^^What? What could it possibly be over?

To this I'd like to add, Catacombs of the Black Vatican by Black Label Society. Zakk is always a solid hitter, but this one definitely stands out. Great listen.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

EvilMoJoJoJo posted:

So #MetalGate is apparently a thing now?

Brb going to go and hide until it's all over.

Oh god, what's it about?

IronLawnmower
Aug 28, 2014
It's now a thing apparently.
http://www.deathmetal.org/article/metalgate/

Edit: Isn't it ironic that a black guy would be wearing a Burzum shirt in the article picture?

IronLawnmower fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Dec 13, 2014

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I think that's the point.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

IronLawnmower posted:

Edit: Isn't it ironic that a black guy would be wearing a Burzum shirt in the article picture?

That reads like someone trying to mimic Sergeant D and failing at it.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

I don't know that it actually is a thing. That article kinda just sounds like the dude read that quote from Spin and got annoyed that there are metalheads who are also vocal about their pokitical/social views.

deadking
Apr 13, 2006

Hello? Charlemagne?!
I'm pretty sure deathmetal.org is run by the same guy behind ANUS. If so I 100% would not take that seriously seeing as that dude's been run off the Nuclear War Now! forums of all places for being an insufferable old-school metal dork.

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

IronLawnmower posted:

OK so it's just a clickbait author desperate for ad money who loving cares.

e: not that anyone should care no matter what

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

To Battle posted:

So this band Bloodshot Dawn released an album this year that is pretty awesome. Listen to it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GZQ7-hJQLJo

This is really pretty awesome.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Hulk Krogan posted:

I don't know that it actually is a thing. That article kinda just sounds like the dude read that quote from Spin and got annoyed that there are metalheads who are also vocal about their pokitical/social views.
people with views not my views only have those views because they just want to silence dissent

follow the money, sheeple

IronLawnmower
Aug 28, 2014

deadking posted:

I'm pretty sure deathmetal.org is run by the same guy behind ANUS. If so I 100% would not take that seriously seeing as that dude's been run off the Nuclear War Now! forums of all places for being an insufferable old-school metal dork.

How the hell do you get run off the NWN forums? I'm pretty sure none of those people have paid any sort of attention to anything post 1994. I think a lot of them still think disco is a thing.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

IronLawnmower posted:

you realise that's the anus.com guys complaining about liberals right

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

IronLawnmower posted:

That article was the dumbest thing I've ever read, until I read some of the comments on it. That dude is trying real hard to impose a set of social values and deep thinking to a genre of music that mostly concerns itself about things like the endless frost darkness beyond the moonsorrow madness.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

Geisladisk posted:

endless frost darkness beyond the moonsorrow madness.

Well you see that's a metaphor for Democrats

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

IronLawnmower posted:

Holy poo poo the comments are out of late 90s message boards

quote:

If this becomes a war on two fronts, I’m glad I stand as both a metal head and a gamer. Both made me who I am today and both are worth defending from those who wish to force a change at the expense of those who made both what they are today.

Metal fans have the worst opinions

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Holy poo poo the comments are out of late 90s message boards

Metal fans have the worst opinions

You realize that this is SR Prozak, right? ANUS originated as text files on an FTP site and for the longest time ANUS was the only metal site on the Internet.

So yeah, 90's as hell.