Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bilal
Feb 20, 2012

If stable ever comes out in our lifetime, I'll take it upon myself to mod in ammunition for ranged weapons, the system that was used in Terraria that was good and cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Cicadas! posted:

The word "balance" is not a legitimate answer to any question! Why is this notion something that is accepted? Why is it a crime to want measured, civil discourse?
Why would you even open an AMA if you weren't planning to give anything but the most trite and evasive responses possible?
I'm actually mad right now! :argh:

<whitenoise_> THE WORD BALANCE IS NOT A LEGITIMATE ANSWER

Oh, so you were "whitenoise", then?

<whitenoise_> come on metadept, you're being childish
[later]
<whitenoise_> it kinda is partly his game if he paid for it, seafish
<whitenoise_> Why is having an opinion a crime
<whitenoise_> what Orwellian hell have we fallen into?

(in reference to some guy -probably doggboat- who was saying the same complaint over and over and generally being really obnoxious and people were telling him to stop being a douche)

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Lizard Wizard posted:

To be fair, the post does tell people exactly how to work around the issue.

workaround: don't play starbound

Doggboat
Oct 17, 2012

XboxPants posted:

-probably doggboat-
Man, I wouldn't do that.

Also why are you quoting the most boring poo poo, when this happened?
<SeaFishelleWork> kay you know what? gently caress you both, I'm out of here. Neither of you deserve to even LIVE, let alone play a videogame provided to you at a discount loving price. Ungrateful sacks of poo poo.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

Doggboat posted:

Man, I wouldn't do that.

<SeaFishelleWork> kay you know what? gently caress you both, I'm out of here. Neither of you deserve to even LIVE, let alone play a videogame provided to you at a discount loving price. Ungrateful sacks of poo poo.

He didn't post that one because he posted it.

Holepunchio
May 31, 2011

Cicadas! posted:

The word "balance" is not a legitimate answer to any question! Why is this notion something that is accepted? Why is it a crime to want measured, civil discourse?
Why would you even open an AMA if you weren't planning to give anything but the most trite and evasive responses possible?
I'm going to assume you were the guy asking about why there is a delay before energy starts recharging.

The reason is so that you don't instantly get expendable energy to tech or shoot with. Like, suppose you had a gun that took 1 energy to fire a bullet and there was no delay to recharge. Even if your energy depleted completely it would still be recharging and you could keep firing as if you had an infinite clip. Same thing if you had a tech that could be used as long as your bar wasn't completely empty. The short way of saying all that poo poo is balance.

Holepunchio fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Dec 10, 2014

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Doggboat posted:

Man, I wouldn't do that.

That bitch loving crazy.

Cicadas! posted:

That did suck they never answered your question about the reload delay, unfortunately there was already some guy in there being a huge dick for like 10 minutes before you came in about basically the same topic, so the devs had left for the time being. Anyway, one imagines that they added that because if it wasn't in there, then people would just mash down the fire button and they to encourage people to put more thought into their shots.

As a side note, here are the answers given as to why they implemented the new energy system in a more general sense, in case anyone's interested.

<metadept> uguumachine, how about this: i think that movement and combat sharing an energy pool is positive because it creates a tradeoff between multiple things that are important in combat
<metadept> if you give people too much ability to use movement techs, there's no penalty for bad positioning
<metadept> because you can always bail out of a bad situation
<metadept> you should have to consider combat over a slightly longer span and balance your offense vs defense
<metadept> monsters use ranged attacks infrequently
<metadept> so to be effective, players need to use their (limited) movement at appropriate times

<Supernorn_> the energy regen before was lovely and it was absolutely useless for things like guns

<@Tiy> for gameplay reasons mostly
<@Tiy> combat effectiveness = energy

I'm not saying they're good answers, just thought some people may be interested.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Is there a summary of all the drama that's happened since I last checked the thread 2600 posts ago? Apparently people left the dev team?

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
Tiy needs a (new? better?) project manager, though I'm not sure any in the few UK-based studios (like Jagex) would want to take this on.

IronicDongz posted:

nuclear throne is the only good early access indie title

Gnomoria :colbert:

(Rho also worked on it)

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

Holepunchio posted:

I'm going to assume you were the guy asking about why there is a delay before energy starts recharging.

The reason is so that you don't instantly get expendable energy to tech or shoot with. Like, suppose you had a gun that took 1 energy to fire a bullet and there was no delay to recharge. Even if your energy depleted completely it would still be recharging and you had an infinite clip. Same thing if you had a tech that could be used as long as your bar wasn't completely empty. The short way of saying all that poo poo is balance.

I'm not saying that a delay before energy starts charging back up is bad, otherwise we'd have unlimited free energy and be able to jet around making GBS threads plasma death on everything, which is apparently a bad thing. My beef is that it seems to take at least a second to start back up, when a half or quarter second would do accomplish much the same purpose while allowing users to get back to whatever they were doing in a timely manner.

XboxPants posted:

<metadept> uguumachine, how about this: i think that movement and combat sharing an energy pool is positive because it creates a tradeoff between multiple things that are important in combat
<metadept> if you give people too much ability to use movement techs, there's no penalty for bad positioning
<metadept> because you can always bail out of a bad situation
<metadept> you should have to consider combat over a slightly longer span and balance your offense vs defense
<metadept> monsters use ranged attacks infrequently
<metadept> so to be effective, players need to use their (limited) movement at appropriate times

<Supernorn_> the energy regen before was lovely and it was absolutely useless for things like guns

<@Tiy> for gameplay reasons mostly
<@Tiy> combat effectiveness = energy
To me these read as a pack of buzzword non-answers, completely unfit in a game full of combat with the approximate depth of a kiddie pool and a dearth of strategy, but they're making the game so I guess they get to do whatever they want to.

Cicadas! fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Dec 10, 2014

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.
Well all this is super terrible and I'm done with this game but at least someone did some cool fanart of my guys!

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Squeegy posted:

Is there a summary of all the drama that's happened since I last checked the thread 2600 posts ago? Apparently people left the dev team?

Energy regen's been changed, there MIGHT be a stable update this month, and people still can't stop threadshitting.

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

Lizard Wizard posted:

You are a loving insect that does nothing but produce white noise.

Rrussom
May 13, 2009
I wish more games featured women turning into toilets. I want toilet transformers.

Lizard Wizard posted:

Energy regen's been changed, there MIGHT be a stable update this month, and people still can't stop threadshitting.

But Lhizerd, you cant threadshit in a shitthread.

Afraid of Audio
Oct 12, 2012

by exmarx

Lizard Wizard posted:

By not posting, even you can help!

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

To be fair, maybe it was meant literally

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Be the stable update you want to see

Rrussom
May 13, 2009
I wish more games featured women turning into toilets. I want toilet transformers.

Blackheart posted:

Be the stable update you want to see

But i like existing.

Afraid of Audio
Oct 12, 2012

by exmarx
But seriously you are a terrible person and poster and you should probably stop.

Similar to Starbound's development.

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

The White Dragon posted:

To be fair, maybe it was meant literally

Touché

Holepunchio
May 31, 2011

Cicadas! posted:

I'm not saying that a delay before energy starts charging back up is bad, otherwise we'd have unlimited free energy and be able to jet around making GBS threads plasma death on everything, which is apparently a bad thing. My beef is that it seems to take at least a second to start back up, when a half or quarter second would do accomplish much the same purpose while allowing users to get back to whatever they were doing in a timely manner.
gently caress me you quoted me before I could fix my unintelligible poo poo goddamnit
But yeah I think most people thought you were talking about why there is a delay at all and not why the delay is so long. Either its completely arbitrary or they think that a longer delay is a better punish for energy mismanagement in the deep and rich starbound combat system.

Rrussom
May 13, 2009
Seriously though, All this talk about stables has pretty much gotten us to the point that we are basically beating a dead horse.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Squeegy posted:

The three big ones who left are Bartwe (coder), Legris (lol) and Rhopunzel (artist). Since last December there's basically been minimal real change aside from sand mining removal being a highlight of the nightlies.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Cicadas! posted:

I haven't played it so maybe it's secretly super awesome, but I agree that the delay looked too long in the gif they showed and I hope they're playing around with it.

Also I was under the impression that even after the delay, you had to wait until your bar fully recharged to start shooting again, did I misread that? So you couldn't just infinite energy spam like that, if that was the case.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Rrussom posted:

Seriously though, All this talk about stables has pretty much gotten us to the point that we are basically beating a dead horse.

Isn't that what these threads are for?

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Party Plane Jones posted:

The three big ones who left are Bartwe (coder), Legris (lol) and Rhopunzel (artist). Since last December there's basically been minimal real change aside from sand mining removal being a highlight of the nightlies.

Unfair, they fixed that whole sand mining thing. Ore no longer spawns in sand. There, fixed.

Rrussom
May 13, 2009

Afraid of Audio posted:

But seriously you are a terrible person and poster and you should probably stop.

Finally something i can agree with you on.

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

XboxPants posted:

I haven't played it so maybe it's secretly super awesome, but I agree that the delay looked too long in the gif they showed and I hope they're playing around with it.

Also I was under the impression that even after the delay, you had to wait until your bar fully recharged to start shooting again, did I misread that? So you couldn't just infinite energy spam like that, if that was the case.

It only has to recharge completely if the player bottoms out. According to the blogposts it comes back faster the less you use of it, like Terraria's mana system, which is a good change IMO. Nevermind, this is untrue. Wishful thinking, I guess. Only problem I have with it is what I've already posted.

e: I was apparently talking out of my rear end, all they say about recharge times is that it "No matter how big your energy pool gets, it will take precisely the same length of time to refill, effectively giving you both more shots and even more energy per second."

Cicadas! fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Dec 10, 2014

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

we understand that movement and dealing damage are both important aspects of combat

so we're only going to let you do one at a time...

#sratboundlogic

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Cicadas! posted:

It only has to recharge completely if the player bottoms out. According to the blogposts it comes back faster the less you use of it, like Terraria's mana system, which is a good change IMO. Only problem I have with it is what I've already posted.

Haha, I still didn't understand you. I thought you were talking about the delay before the full-recharge when you bottom out.

I get you now, you mean the little delay after each individual shot, right?

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
Can someone explain the point of "good positioning" if achieving it expends all of your energy

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
In writing that doesn't sound very fun at all.

I'm hoping the nightly will surprise me but I doubt it.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Afraid of Audio posted:

No thanks.

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

XboxPants posted:

Haha, I still didn't understand you. I thought you were talking about the delay before the full-recharge when you bottom out.

I get you now, you mean the little delay after each individual shot, right?

Not the delay between shots, that's an inherent quality of the sniper rifle.
I'm talking about the time between when he stops consuming energy and his bar starts charging again. If you look at the .gif he comes to a full stop and it's like a second and a half before his energy starts back.

Cicadas! fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Dec 10, 2014

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

starbound has been in development for three years and theyve almost figured out how movement and combat will work

Rrussom
May 13, 2009

You are a loving reptile that does nothing but produce lovely Lets Plays.

Man Whore
Jan 6, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT SPHERICAL CATS
=3

XboxPants posted:

Unfair, they fixed that whole sand mining thing. Ore no longer spawns in sand. There, fixed.

Sand mining was the poo poo though, why would they remove it?

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
I never undestood that - I figured that since we have procedurally generated infinite worlds and a spaceship, a 2D sprite game would be more about exploration. It's not supposed to be a Beat-em-up for fucks' sake.
Why complicate it so much? Is it because :darksouls:?

Man Whore
Jan 6, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT SPHERICAL CATS
=3

Kikas posted:

Is it because :darksouls:?

yes

After darksouls every lovely indie dev had to add "hard but fair" difficulty to their game even if it had nothing to do with action RPGs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

Man Whore posted:

Sand mining was the poo poo though, why would they remove it?
Iirc because it was opposed to their cool plan of making ores being gated behind better picks/manipulator upgrades or something. We can't let little johnny get this rock of fartmetallium from sand surfing! He hasn't even made the pissaluminum upgrade yet!

I'm sad that it's gone and will be cross with chucklefish until this assault on fun has been redeemed

probably never

Tin Tim posted:

Bring back ore surfing or get hosed
Appropriate self quote

Tin Tim fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Dec 10, 2014

• Locked thread