Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GAINING WEIGHT...
Mar 26, 2007

See? Science proves the JewsMuslims are inferior and must be purged! I'm not a racist, honest!

Kyrie eleison posted:

Can we conclude, then, that everyone in this thread has homosexual tendencies?

That depends on what you consider a "thought" and a "tendency". Can I imagine two men having sex? Yes, it's within my abilities. This seems like it could be considered a homosexual thought, but it's definitely not a desire: I have yet to meet a man that I wanted to pursue a romantic or sexual relationship with. No, really. It's not something I want. Is it possible I will one day meet a guy that stirs that feeling in me? I'm not ruling anything out, but it hasn't happened yet, or even come close.

I have, however, felt very strong attraction to many women I've met over the course of my life. I ask, Kyrie, is this significantly different from your experience? Because if so, it means that you are a homosexual, and should stop repressing that fact!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

GAINING WEIGHT... posted:

That depends on what you consider a "thought" and a "tendency".

Also there is a yawning gap between "now that there is a good-looking fellow" and "I would like him to touch my penis". I've had the latter (because good-looking men exist in the world), but never the former. I suppose it could happen, but in my 3+ decades nothing has come close.

At any rate, this is all beside the point. Kyrie, where are you going with this "everyone is bi" stuff?

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

mdemone posted:

Also there is a yawning gap between "now that there is a good-looking fellow" and "I would like him to touch my penis". I've had the latter (because good-looking men exist in the world), but never the former. I suppose it could happen, but in my 3+ decades nothing has come close.

At any rate, this is all beside the point. Kyrie, where are you going with this "everyone is bi" stuff?

Uhh, think you've got "former" and "latter" confused. Unless I'm seriously misinterpreting your lifestyle, no judgement.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

CommieGIR posted:

Wh...wh...what about cats?

:ohdear:
"Pope Francis continues to show he’s not your average pope. During a public appearance this afternoon, Francis attempted to comfort a girl whose cat had died, saying, “One day, we will see our animals again in the eternity of Christ. Paradise is open to all of God’s creatures. All of them except for cats. In that case, little girl, the only way you will see your cat again is if you reject God’s grace and end up in hell.”

The Pope’s comment has reignited a debate on the subject, with the Humane Society saying that if Pope Francis believes animals have souls, then “we ought to seriously consider how we treat them,” a representative said. “We have to admit that all animals, save for cats, panda bears, and sloths are sentient beings, and they mean something to God.”"
http://www.eyeofthetiber.com/2014/12/12/pope-francis-confirms-cats-still-going-to-hell/

As for the "everyone would just go be gay instead" business, I don't think the birthrate was materially impaired in ancient Rome. Given the number of unwanted children, perhaps encouraging the formation of couples who, if they want children, must adopt (or undertake artificial insemination methods in the case of lesbian couples) would help care for those children, given them a home?

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

Kyrie eleison posted:

Here's the thing. If you have both heterosexual and homosexual tendencies, and you want a monogamous life partner, aren't you going to have to choose a gender? And, considering how important this choice will be on your life, shouldn't this be a rational choice, involving weighing the pros and cons?

People generally chose to marry, you know, people, not just "someone of a given gender". They do this generally because of love and not the sense of duty you seem to assume motivates most actions.

OP, what was your intention in starting this thread? Because the first post doesn't seem to designed to convince anyone of anything, especially that you weren't trolling (which would be fine if you were, this is the internet).

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

God this is like freep-thread levels of :smith:

"Of course we have to make sure the homos are always shaking with fear and self-loathing and shame. I know for a fact that every man is constantly tempted and lusting after the hard man-bodies he sees on the street every day, fantasizing about tight asses and shapely crotch bulges. That's why we can't let up the disgust and shaming and threatening for even a minute if we want to keep all men bound to their terrible duty to form a loveless, passionless bond with a woman to impregnate her and perpetuate the species. If even for a moment they believe it's okay to be gay, they'll flee from their obligation of drudgery to mechanically pump sperm into some vagina, and they'll be downing miles of cock and rushing out to feel another man pump his love into their asses until they joyfully collapse into his arms where they're smiling and I feel so safe and protected and blissful, curling up into the strong protective embrace of another man, my head cradled lovingly against him, where none of the words and the taunts and the guilt and doubt will ever touch me, here ensconced in the tender caress of my lover...oh god..."
*flagellates*

Kyrie eleison
Jan 26, 2013

by Ralp

Dzhay posted:

People generally chose to marry, you know, people, not just "someone of a given gender". They do this generally because of love and not the sense of duty you seem to assume motivates most actions.

OP, what was your intention in starting this thread? Because the first post doesn't seem to designed to convince anyone of anything, especially that you weren't trolling (which would be fine if you were, this is the internet).

I think it is important to choose a mate based on essential criteria. You have a lot of options, after all, so you should filter it down to a subset. For instance, I would prefer to marry a woman of the same race, religion, nationality, politics, and aesthetics as myself. I think this will result in the strongest family ties. So I don't really romantically pursue women outside of this category.

The idea of simply "falling in love with someone" as if these issues didn't matter is, again, a bit adolescent... a bit Hollywood, even. It sounds like a "honeymoon period" style of thinking in which the underlying contradictions in your relationship are avoided.

But they inevitably surface. In reality, over half of marriages end in divorce. It's important to be careful with your selection and to consider that you are going to be with this person the rest of your life. You'll want to have a common ground.

You'll also want to think of your plan regarding raising children. I can't have children with a man. Not really. And I think I'd be a good father.

Or you can be celibate. You know, that's another option. Sounds lonely to me, though.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Kyrie eleison posted:

I think it is important to choose a mate based on essential criteria. You have a lot of options, after all, so you should filter it down to a subset. For instance, I would prefer to marry a woman of the same race, religion, nationality, politics, and aesthetics as myself. I think this will result in the strongest family ties. So I don't really romantically pursue women outside of this category.

The idea of simply "falling in love with someone" as if these issues didn't matter is, again, a bit adolescent... a bit Hollywood, even. It sounds like a "honeymoon period" style of thinking in which the underlying contradictions in your relationship are avoided.

But they inevitably surface. In reality, over half of marriages end in divorce. It's important to be careful with your selection and to consider that you are going to be with this person the rest of your life. You'll want to have a common ground.

You'll also want to think of your plan regarding raising children. I can't have children with a man. Not really. And I think I'd be a good father.

Or you can be celibate. You know, that's another option. Sounds lonely to me, though.
I see. So you want to only marry someone of the same race, politics, "aesthetics" (what does that mean here) as yourself. Nationality is perhaps understandable as a practical matter, and religion is fair enough, but race, politics, and "aesthetics." Hm. Interesting.

Also, what is your problem with adoption? If it was good enough for St. Joseph, why isn't it good enough for you? Or does the Church teach that adopted children are second-best?

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
http://www.christiandomesticdiscipline.com/

Your thoughts, Kyrie?

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Kyrie eleison posted:

For instance, I would prefer to marry a woman of the same race

We must secure the existence of our people and a future for White Children.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

I want to say that it doesn't surprise me on top of everything Kyrie is also racist but honestly it kind of did.

GAINING WEIGHT...
Mar 26, 2007

See? Science proves the JewsMuslims are inferior and must be purged! I'm not a racist, honest!

Kyrie eleison posted:

You know it might be that you are looking at "selecting a mate" so clinically because you are not attracted to women

Caros
May 14, 2008

You know it might be that you are looking at "selecting a mate" so clinically because you are not attracted to women

You know, I'm two years happily married with a woman I've known for over half a decade, and I chose her pretty much entirely based on things like sense of humor, intelligence, and the fact that she was hot. Who the gently caress assesses someone based on their religion, race, nationality etc. I mean I kind of get politics just because we'd probably have problems if it turned out she was some neocon thug who hates the blacks/gays/jews... but really, I have to agree with gaining weight here. Most people don't run their spouse through an internal E-harmony profile.

Kyrie eleison
Jan 26, 2013

by Ralp

Berke Negri posted:

I want to say that it doesn't surprise me on top of everything Kyrie is also racist but honestly it kind of did.

Is it racist to prefer to marry someone of the same race as yourself?

I have fallen in love with women many times in my life. I have, honestly, only really taken sincere romantic solace in one male partner. We are so similar! *sighs wistfully*

But, we are also both realists.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Caros posted:

You know, I'm two years happily married with a woman I've known for over half a decade, and I chose her pretty much entirely based on things like sense of humor, intelligence, and the fact that she was hot. Who the gently caress assesses someone based on their religion, race, nationality etc. I mean I kind of get politics just because we'd probably have problems if it turned out she was some neocon thug who hates the blacks/gays/jews... but really, I have to agree with gaining weight here. Most people don't run their spouse through an internal E-harmony profile.
I can understand wanting to have common ground, and I realize as a devout Catholic he probably wants to date other Catholics if he can, so in the hypothetical situation of marriage they can just get a Catholic marriage and so forth. (Helpfully, there are a ton of Catholics.) But I imagine complementary personalities is going to be a lot more important than identical politics.

What's funny is I heard another super-Catholic guy say something similar once, that the primary thing he looked for in a hypothetical female hew-mon mate was "theological compatibility, so we can present a united front against the child's error."

Kyrie eleison posted:

It's certainly a bit questionable if that's a primary point of comparison. What if the Lord sent you a foredestined wife, perfect in every way, but she happened to be black?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Kyrie eleison posted:

Undiplomatic phrasing aside, I would agree with part of that. Yes it is probably advisable to marry somebody you are compatible with, and it is also probably wise to try to ensure that you will be able to commit to this person for a long time, that being generally the idea of marrying them.

However that isn't really incompatible with love, I love my girlfriend because I find her ideals, actions, looks, and general conduct, breathtaking. She commands that level of care and attention from me because of who she is, and giving it comes naturally because of that. That's how I'd describe love.

But I would dispute your assertion that divorce is a failure state of marriage, and also that marriages have to produce children. Marriage is an expensive and complicated thing, so it is sensible to try to make it something you aren't going to do every few years, but if someone spends ten or twenty years in marriage and finds that to be a positive part of their life, i don't see what's wrong if they then want to divorce and change their life. If the marriage produced a better life for both parties involved then it was a good thing, and if divorce is what it takes to allow both parties to continue having a good life, then that also should be a good thing. The idea that it has to be forever or nothing is a bit odd, humans do change over time and their life should change to adapt to their needs. A marriage devoid of joy or any productive end, prolonged out of fear, is far sadder than a timely divorce.

Also, having children is not a moral imperative, if anything the opposite is true at the moment, as the planet already has a major problem with population growth. Reducing the population voluntarily by not having children is probably one of the best possible ways to address resource scarcity. If people were more judicious about whether they really should have children, rather than just having them willy nilly because it sounds like fun or because they think God wants them to, the world would be a much better place.

A child is something you can justify having under some circumstances, it isn't something you should feel entitled to, or something you should have just because.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

Kyrie eleison posted:

Do you think God sees race?

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Kyrie eleison posted:

Hi, Emden (or Darkwater).

Kyrie eleison
Jan 26, 2013

by Ralp

Berke Negri posted:

Do you think God sees race?

Well, he sees everything. But you mean, does he judge us by race? No. And the Catholic position is that race is not relevant in marriage. Catholics opposed anti-miscegenation laws, for instance. And I agree with that, for sure.

But I think there is value in having maximum commonality with your spouse.

HaitianDivorce
Jul 29, 2012

Kyrie eleison posted:

Well, he sees everything. But you mean, does he judge us by race? No. And the Catholic position is that race is not relevant in marriage. Catholics opposed anti-miscegenation laws, for instance. And I agree with that, for sure.

Race is a worthless category invented by wealthy landowners in the sixteenth century to sow discord and hatred among their labor base so they wouldn't realize who the real enemy is, hth

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Kyrie eleison posted:

What is that value? And what did you mean by "aesthetics"?

Kyrie eleison
Jan 26, 2013

by Ralp

Nessus posted:

What is that value? And what did you mean by "aesthetics"?

The value is a lower likelihood of division and thus more unity.

Aesthetics refers to how much they value beauty.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

Why do you think interracial couples would be prone to division?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Kyrie eleison posted:

The value is a lower likelihood of division and thus more unity.

Aesthetics refers to how much they value beauty.

I would venture that possibly if you're forgoing love in lieu of picking somebody as much like yourself as possible when considering who to marry, you might already be on rocky ground.

The point of love in marriage is that you have met somebody who, when you look at them, you can't help but do the things that will bring you and keep you together through any difficulty. Because their very nature compels you to give to them, to give your time and your thoughts and your work. Because they are deserving of it, you can't do otherwise.

And that has very little to do with race or looks or how much they are like you.

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005

Kyrie eleison posted:

So, if race has no religious meaning. What meaning does it have to you? What commonality relevant to a stable marriage do you think must be absent if a woman's skin color is different than yours? Sure, the upbringing and experience of a black woman will probably be somewhat different than that of a white woman, but there's no actual certainty there, and, to be quite frank, that she is a woman will reduce her commonality in a similar fashion. I find it somewhat bizarre that you want to marry yourself, and that you seem to assume that someone most similar to you will produce a more stable marriage than someone complementary.

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

Kyrie eleison posted:

Ew no, no thank you. A level of commonality, sure, but who would want a mirror of themselves? Boring.

Kyrie eleison
Jan 26, 2013

by Ralp

Bel Shazar posted:

Ew no, no thank you. A level of commonality, sure, but who would want a mirror of themselves? Boring.

You must be boring.

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005

Kyrie eleison posted:

You must be boring.

You must be a narcissist.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Kyrie eleison posted:

You must be boring.

That would still, technically, be a good justification for marrying someone different from yourself.

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

Kyrie eleison posted:

You must be boring.

Moderately so. But I bring a level of cute and snark that is simply irresistible.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Caros posted:

I mean I kind of get politics just because we'd probably have problems if it turned out she was some neocon thug who hates the blacks/gays/jews...

Honestly I would much rather date/marry someone with vastly different religious views than me but similar politics than someone with similar religious views but vastly different politics. I'm fine if she doesn't believe in God or praises Vishnu or Xenu or whatever because who really cares, but I don't think I'd feel comfortable with someone who constantly complained about welfare queens or the gay agenda or big government.

Kyrie eleison posted:

I have, honestly, only really taken sincere romantic solace in one male partner. We are so similar! *sighs wistfully*

But, we are also both realists.

That made me really sad for you. :smith:

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

If you really wanted to maximize commonalities it seems like you should probably make sure they're the same gender as you, too.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Kyrie eleison posted:

And I think I'd be a good father.

Really? Can you be a good parent if you don't truly love your partner and only choose them on the basis of convenience in having children? What would you do if your child turned out to be a homosexual and, unlike you, refused to enter into a loveless marriage in order to pump out a couple of lily-white Catholics in order to keep the one true Aryan race strong? What if they brought home a gay, black, Buddhist boyfriend?

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Who What Now posted:

Really? Can you be a good parent if you don't truly love your partner and only choose them on the basis of convenience in having children? What would you do if your child turned out to be a homosexual and, unlike you, refused to enter into a loveless marriage in order to pump out a couple of lily-white Catholics in order to keep the one true Aryan race strong? What if they brought home a gay, black, Buddhist boyfriend?

To say nothing of the various equivalences he drew earlier in the thread between a wrathful deity casting his creations eternally into hell for having once mouthed off, to a parent chastising a disobedient child. That bit made me a little leery about his capacity to parent and not end up on a CPS watchlist.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Who What Now posted:

"Well you see, I would refuse to talk to them and never visit them or allow them to visit me until they rejected their sinful lifestyle. It's for his own good, which shows how much I love him that I would kick him out of the house and not speak to him until he returned to the one true righteous path. This proves I am a good father."

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

You could also adopt! That lets you have man-children if you want too, also has the nice ethical benefit of giving a child without a home, a home, rather than producing one of your own because the ones at the foster home don't come in the right colour.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

OwlFancier posted:

You could also adopt! That lets you have man-children if you want too, also has the nice ethical benefit of giving a child without a home, a home, rather than producing one of your own because the ones at the foster home don't come in the right colour.
Is it not written, "Let those children who wish to be adopted be white or Asian infants / Yea, for I the lord say that a BLACK baby is worth only THREE FIFTHS that of a WHITE? And if ye know not these categories, fear not; my True People, in sixteen hundred years, shall invent these categories, and wisdom shall be brought to ye. Also, you are not really Jews."

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

Adopt a child? But he must maximize his compatibility by making sure his children are nearly identical to him, and who knows what kind of background those kids at the foster homes have.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Twelve by Pies posted:

Adopt a child? But he must maximize his compatibility by making sure his children are nearly identical to him, and who knows what kind of background skin color those kids at the foster homes have.

Because lets be real about what is important here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al Harrington
May 1, 2005

I used to be an adventurer like you, then I took an arrow in the eye
Can we flush this turd yet?

• Locked thread