Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

Ignite Memories posted:

What? No they didn't. They liked watching walt. No one actually liked him by the end of the show.

Depends on who you talk to.
Some people have a tendency to root for the protagonist and loathe everyone who gets in his/her way, even if they're a lovely person.

I think the actress who played Walts wife received a bunch of hatemail and death threats for getting in his way. Well, for pretending to get in his way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Actually you're right people are loving psychotic I'm sure some of them did.

At the very least, we can agree that Vince Gilligan doesn't want you to.

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

I always groan when a character has to explain something to the audience by explaining it to a character, even though they should already know that information."

"Oh man, you never heard about [incredibly important/well known thing in this fictional world] well let me explain it to you."

Pops up a lot in Sci-Fi and Fantasy.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
Yeah. People were increasingly uncomfortable with Walter from like season 2 on.

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp

Elderbean posted:

I always groan when a character has to explain something to the audience by explaining it to a character, even though they should already know that information."

"Oh man, you never heard about [incredibly important/well known thing in this fictional world] well let me explain it to you."

Sci-Fi in particular also has the problem of explaining concepts that are already widely known and understood in our world to characters who would definitely know it and the audience who would probably know it. So you have conversations like:

Engineer: It was all a mess until I had a breakthrough! 2+2=4!
Mathematician: 2 plus what?

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Henchman of Santa posted:

The point was about fan reaction. People loved Walt to the bitter end.

By the time he was poisoning a kid or letting Jesse's gf drown in her own puke yr supposed to get that he's a baddie. Also he's very manipulative and self-serving throughout and it only gets worse.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Kalos posted:

Sci-Fi in particular also has the problem of explaining concepts that are already widely known and understood in our world to characters who would definitely know it and the audience who would probably know it. So you have conversations like:

Engineer: It was all a mess until I had a breakthrough! 2+2=4!
Mathematician: 2 plus what?

Best example is in The Matrix, where Neo is supposed to be a computer programmer/hacker and Morpheus explains what an AI is to him.

Bippie Mishap
Oct 12, 2012

Ignite Memories posted:

Actually you're right people are loving psychotic I'm sure some of them did.

At the very least, we can agree that Vince Gilligan doesn't want you to.

The sponsors didn't want that.

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

It's time to restore dignity to the Farnsworth name!

Light Gun Man posted:

That reminds me, the non-engish conversations in Agents of SHIELD say gently caress it and don't sub a drat thing. People will have a whole conversation in Russian or whatever and you don't know what the hell they are saying, and it's ok. The world doesn't end or anything.

I like that they play with that, too, if someone in the scene doesn't understand what's being said they'll sorta sit there with a look on their face like "You gonna tell me what the gently caress he just said or what?"

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

muscles like this? posted:

I watched 47 Ronin and something that bugged me is that Keanu is supposed to have grown up with the love interest, except in real life he's 50 and she's 30.
Can I briefly hijack the thread and ask if it's worth it? We were watching a DVD yesterday and caught the 47 Ronin trailer on it, and we were all like "why aren't we watching this right now instead of whatever the hell that DVD is about?"

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Medieval Medic posted:

except for the whole squeezing his head in like an apple.

On the other hand, Hafþór is, at 6'9" and 420lbs of Viking muscle, probably the closest, physically, to the Mountain as described in the books and I wouldn't be surprised if he actually could pop a man's head with his bare hands. I believe he also still holds the world record for the longest distance an individual has thrown a washing machine, at 4.72m (15.4 feet). Yes, an ordinary household washing machine. Picked up and hurled fifteen feet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vRuJxzwqWWg

While painted like the Hulk.

By all accounts though he's a really nice guy. Once paid a surprise visit to a three-year-old boy's birthday party (as the Hulk, natch).

I finally got around to seeing Guardians of the Galaxy, and the fact that Quill's father isn't really mentioned is kind of irksome. Just like oh by the way that's what Yondu was originally picking him up for and he's some ancient thing.

That and there's nothing to show you how he went from a grieving, terrified child being abducted by aliens to some goofy outlaw dancing in an abandoned ruin.

Other than that, the movie was pretty awesome. Rocket and Drax especially.

venus de lmao has a new favorite as of 13:33 on Dec 14, 2014

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Medieval Medic posted:

Today I saw the Hobbit p3 which made me think of this peeve.

Sanitization of violence. Every loving time there are huge fights, it seems like the characters just get a bit dirty. Nobody ever breaks teeth, nobody ever gets swollen lumps or visible bruising, facial wounds look like a nifty red scar, when they actually bleed like hell. That one fight(you know which) in GoT actually made it look really great except for the whole squeezing his head in like an apple.
This was especially bothersome in the new Robocop, which plays at being against police brutality and drone warfare and stuff, and then the movie is full of Robocop heroically shooting people cowboy-movie style, every gunshot bloodless.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Bertrand Hustle posted:

I finally got around to seeing Guardians of the Galaxy, and the fact that Quill's father isn't really mentioned is kind of irksome. Just like oh by the way that's what Yondu was originally picking him up for and he's some ancient thing.

James Gunn says this will be a big part of Guardians 2. You can't tell everything in one movie.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Medieval Medic posted:

Sanitization of violence. Every loving time there are huge fights, it seems like the characters just get a bit dirty. Nobody ever breaks teeth, nobody ever gets swollen lumps or visible bruising, facial wounds look like a nifty red scar, when they actually bleed like hell. That one fight(you know which) in GoT actually made it look really great except for the whole squeezing his head in like an apple.

I've seen people in real life that bang their head on the sink or something look worse than people apparently fighting for their lives.

Gotta get those sweet, sweet PG-13 dollars :v:

I can't really blame a company for wanting to maximize earnings, but I've lost track of how many times I've seen a trailer and thought "goddrat this movie is gonna be so cool; these action stars are gonna spend ninety minutes gunning down thugs, cracking skulls, and busting kneecaps" and been sad to discover the big bad puppy-killing drug dealers go down with one punch or by being thrown against a wall, just so the film didn't stray into R territory.

Stottie Kyek
Apr 26, 2008

fuckin egg in a bun

Elderbean posted:

In some sci-fi and fantasy they make the protagonist pretty oblivious so they can get away with this, like Luke Skywalker has spent all his life on a farm in the middle of nowhere so he doesn't know much about the goings-on in the rest of the galaxy, and Harry Potter and the Pevensie kids have lived in "our" world all their lives before they discover their fantasy worlds. It doesn't work when it's a character who really should know though.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Elderbean posted:

People don't know gently caress all about the real world so this is no surprise. I saw a test screening of Centurion (I think that was it, it had Timothy West in it) and one of the other audience members said "I didn't know who the romans were, why were they in Britain it didnt make sense".

This is in London for fucks sake, my Australian friend called her an idiot which made the organisers angry.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
You guys who think Walt didn't have a huge chunk of Breaking Bad fans rooting for him even after he had clearly become horrible don't spend as much time on the internet as your forums membership leads me to believe. Next you'll tell me that people didn't actively want Skyler to die for the show's entire run.

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005
The later 80's war movie The Beast or The Beast of War does a good job with accents. The movie is about a Russian tank crew in Afghanistan, all the actors are Americans speaking in their normal accents, it's just taken as read that they're all really speaking Russian.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6DKMckzzyE4

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Henchman of Santa posted:

You guys who think Walt didn't have a huge chunk of Breaking Bad fans rooting for him even after he had clearly become horrible don't spend as much time on the internet as your forums membership leads me to believe. Next you'll tell me that people didn't actively want Skyler to die for the show's entire run.

I wanted Marie to die for the show's entire run, does that count?

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

Jedit posted:

Jesus, they're minerals, Marie!

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

My Lovely Horse posted:

Can I briefly hijack the thread and ask if it's worth it? We were watching a DVD yesterday and caught the 47 Ronin trailer on it, and we were all like "why aren't we watching this right now instead of whatever the hell that DVD is about?"

Not really, for a two hour long movie not a whole lot happens in it. Probably the only real good thing in the movie is they don't wuss out in the end and actually have them all commit seppuku, even Keanu. I was sure they were going to give Keanu an out but he totally does it too.

Although that just reminds me of another annoying thing about the movie, it's rated PG-13, which is a problem for a movie where it's important that multiple people commit seppuku. Those scenes end up extremely awkwardly shot because they can't actually show what the character is doing.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Bertrand Hustle posted:

On the other hand, Hafþór is, at 6'9" and 420lbs of Viking muscle, probably the closest, physically, to the Mountain as described in the books and I wouldn't be surprised if he actually could pop a man's head with his bare hands. I believe he also still holds the world record for the longest distance an individual has thrown a washing machine, at 4.72m (15.4 feet). Yes, an ordinary household washing machine. Picked up and hurled fifteen feet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vRuJxzwqWWg

While painted like the Hulk.

By all accounts though he's a really nice guy. Once paid a surprise visit to a three-year-old boy's birthday party (as the Hulk, natch).

That and there's nothing to show you how he went from a grieving, terrified child being abducted by aliens to some goofy outlaw dancing in an abandoned ruin.

Other than that, the movie was pretty awesome. Rocket and Drax especially.

My friend sent me an article on this actually, I'll have to try and find it. It's impossible to crush a skull even if you're as big as Hafþór, or even as big as The Mountain described in the books.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Jedit posted:

No, Marie was terrible up until like the last four episodes.

Dr Scoofles
Dec 6, 2004

My friend and I are on a Van Damme binge at the moment and we watched Universal Soldier on Friday. We still can't agree on what the universal soldiers were. Zombies? Robots? If they were robots why did they need muscle enhancers to fight better? Wouldn't their technological enhancements do that for them instead? If they were zombies how come they needed ice to stop from over heating? Why didn't the universal soldier programme use volunteers instead of dead soldiers riddled with ptsd? Another thing, how did Van Damme forget how to eat with a fork? There is a scene where he sits down to eat and he has to copy the other diners as he has no idea what to do, don't they feed these people at universal soldier barracks? Are they just tossing them raw meat like wolves? I have to think thats the case as one of the 'bad' universal soldiers starts tearing into raw meat like a wild animal. What the hell? Why is a Belgian fighting for the American army? So many questions :psyduck:

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Will ya close the fucking doors?!
It's been a while since I've seen it, but they keep the soldiers in those chairs, right? I imagine they'll be fed with a tube.

No idea about the rest :v:

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

EmmyOk posted:

My friend sent me an article on this actually, I'll have to try and find it. It's impossible to crush a skull even if you're as big as Hafþór, or even as big as The Mountain described in the books.

Also dragons aren't real

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Here's something that We Hate Movies brought up that, now that I think about it, annoys me retroactively:

Disregarding variations, zombies generally have two traits to them: they have an irresistible desire to eat living flesh, and that a bite makes the living into zombies.

So why the hell are there so many zombies around in these movies? Wouldn't most of the Potential Zombies be picked dead clean (pun not intended, but I like the sound of it) by any zombies nearby who have no reason to stop eating a victim until it's nothing but bone?

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

We you said it yourself: they want living flesh. :razz: After you're dead they stop eating you.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

Also dragons aren't real

I was responding to the person who said Hafþór probably could explode a man's head.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Lotish posted:

We you said it yourself: they want living flesh. :razz: After you're dead they stop eating you.

That seems to be the general 'rule'. Once the victim is completely dead, and no longer fresh, they'll wander off towards the next meal.

It also seems to be getting increasingly common for people to turn when they die, regardless of whether or not they were killed by a zombie.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Medieval Medic posted:

I've seen people in real life that bang their head on the sink or something look worse than people apparently fighting for their lives.

If you really want the exact opposite of that you should watch The Raid movies. In 2's big kitchen fight scene the bad guy starts off looking normal but halfway through the fight his face is all bruised and bleeding. At the end of both movies the main character looks like he's been through a meat grinder.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Lotish posted:

I guess I internally make a distinction between Dead and Actually A Zombie. You'd figure that one (or more) zombies who have nothing but eat_flesh.exe running constantly would pick apart a corpse before it would/could animate.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
So I need to watch The Raid if I like action movies?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Rolo posted:

Basically, yes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PkULMOFpuCo

RudeVegetables
Jul 23, 2007
That turnip looks just like a thingy!
Fallen Rib

Dr Scoofles posted:

My friend and I are on a Van Damme binge at the moment and we watched Universal Soldier on Friday. We still can't agree on what the universal soldiers were. Zombies? Robots? If they were robots why did they need muscle enhancers to fight better? Wouldn't their technological enhancements do that for them instead? If they were zombies how come they needed ice to stop from over heating? Why didn't the universal soldier programme use volunteers instead of dead soldiers riddled with ptsd? Another thing, how did Van Damme forget how to eat with a fork? There is a scene where he sits down to eat and he has to copy the other diners as he has no idea what to do, don't they feed these people at universal soldier barracks? Are they just tossing them raw meat like wolves? I have to think thats the case as one of the 'bad' universal soldiers starts tearing into raw meat like a wild animal. What the hell? Why is a Belgian fighting for the American army? So many questions :psyduck:

Reanimated corpses= zombies.
Overheating because the reanimation fluids (fed through the chairs ) caused over-metabolism so they'd end up consuming themselves -plus all the steroids etc . wound up the body processes to overload if they weren't cooled. They wanted mindless soldiers so dead guys are better than reprogrammed dudes (see the Bourne/treadstone).

The rest of your questions are perfectly reasonable for the thread :)

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

I figure it's probably pretty easy to get away from a zombie, because they're so slow. Zombie sneaks up on you how they do, bites you somewhere. You bash him off and escape, but then you're hosed. Only in large groups do zombies have the collective strength to stop you and feast on you wholesale, and by that point there's already a large group.

Edit: alternately, he virus is airborne or whatever.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Rolo posted:

you need to watch Raid, Raid 2, and Dredd. Possibly on repeat

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Rolo posted:

Oh christ yes. They are both quite something.

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Will ya close the fucking doors?!
I haven't watched The Raid 2 yet, but The Raid was very much like Dredd with the protagonists fighting their way up a building, floor by floor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
I forget what I was watching that reminded me of it but I hate "dying last breath dramatic statements/clues to the crime" where the guy or girl manages to get that last vital piece of information out right before they pass away.