Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Waffleman_ posted:

They didn't change the time. Check the numbers. The entire face of the watch was facing the wrong way.

Hahaha holy poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dove from Above
Apr 16, 2007

Snowy! Have you thought about psittacosis?

Travis343 posted:

Hahaha holy poo poo.

There are just SO MANY signs of this production being rushed out as cheaply and quickly as possible by inexperienced people who were making GBS threads themselves half the time. (I honestly feel sorry for the animation staff who clearly did not get the kind of resources and support they needed to do even an adequate job.)
I will go to my grave shrieking "Sailor Moon deserved better!" unless of course I get better priorities by that time.

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

Keep this up G'Bert, and soon you won't have a pigeon to protect!
ursargi is sailor moon

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Dove from Above posted:

I will go to my grave shrieking "Sailor Moon deserved better!" unless of course I get better priorities by that time.

Between Crystal and Viz's shockingly bungled release of the original's remaster (and post release attitudes) 2014 will be the year of that phrase.

I'm only hoping that Digimon Tri (Which is a Non Precure toei show so, yeah, expectations are sub-terranean) and YuGiOh DM's remaster (I know, but it's fun popcorn anime) aren't as much as an utter farce for 2015.

Hell, the Black Moon Clan arc could totally be the Battle Tendency to part 1's Phantom Blood for all we know.

Not saying PB was as bad as SMC Part 1, mind.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 11:06 on Dec 15, 2014

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

ConanThe3rd posted:

Between Crystal and Viz's shockingly bungled release of the original's remaster (and post release attitudes) 2014 will be the year of that phrase.

I'm only hoping that Digimon Tri (Which is a Non Precure toei show so, yeah, expectations are sub-terranean) and YuGiOh DM's remaster (I know, but it's fun popcorn anime) aren't as much as an utter farce for 2015.

Hell, the Black Moon Clan arc could totally be the Battle Tendency to part 1's Phantom Blood for all we know.

Not saying PB was as bad as SMC Part 1, mind.

both phantom blood and crystal are good, op

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
PB is fine, it's just that BT is far better and crystal is far worse.

Crystal part one is going to end up being a university semester on how not to manage a brand revival with Viz's bullshit being extra credit.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

the video on viz's stuff is really not that bad, and the new dub is really great though?

I mean it is a TV show from 1992. Im sure it'd be possible to say, clean up the first couple seasons of The Simpsons into something really professional but you're not really losing anything by not doing that. I honestly dont notice any difference except when people post still images and point out what's so terrible.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
They hosed with the video (ready and primed to put on disk with the new dub btb) to get a second sku they had no business selling (BR) and fubar'ed the dvd release as a result.

And, for a double, they tried to say it looked better with a straight face.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

*Insert Sailor Jupiter joke here*

Travis343 posted:

the video on viz's stuff is really not that bad, and the new dub is really great though?

The dub is good, but I find it difficult to watch with the video its attached to. I find it gives me headaches because of the atrocious ghosting.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
The Ironic thing is, I would bet you anything no one would have given a backwards gently caress if they released it DVD only thus skipping everything they did to the video.

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002
Do I have stupid eyes or something, because I've been watching the show on Hulu and I haven't noticed ghosting or serious issues, I think it looks ok?

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

You're not watching in slow motion you're doing it wrong

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」

ALFbrot posted:

Do I have stupid eyes or something, because I've been watching the show on Hulu and I haven't noticed ghosting or serious issues, I think it looks ok?

You perhaps have stupid brain for reading through the thread where people have pointed out, filled with frustration, that even though the hulu masters are not as good as the Italian DVDs, they don't have the primary problems of the blu-rays/DVDs. Your eyes are fine though :v:.

ConanThe3rd posted:

The Ironic thing is, I would bet you anything no one would have given a backwards gently caress if they released it DVD only thus skipping everything they did to the video.

The DVDs have the same ghosting, so they were doing a bad thing to all their video. Also they ruined their DVDs with the encoded pillarboxing anyway, which is a special kind of incompetent that isn't predicated on the existence of Blu-ray.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
I think not having any money with which to buy the new Sailor Moon DVDs actually worked out in my favor then, I'll just continue hanging on to the ADV releases of the first two seasons then. Even if I do have one of the first run copies where one of the episodes somehow has part of the DiC dub track on it.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

like what your heart tells you, and don't like what your heart tells you

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

AzraelNewtype posted:

The DVDs have the same ghosting, so they were doing a bad thing to all their video. Also they ruined their DVDs with the encoded pillarboxing anyway, which is a special kind of incompetent that isn't predicated on the existence of Blu-ray.
I was under the impression (via the ANN interview) that the ghosting was a side effect of whatever dumbshitery they were doing trying to blow up a SD Video source into HD and they then crammed it down into SD to do thier DVD release (and then the pillerbox poo poo).

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 12:21 on Dec 16, 2014

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

AzraelNewtype posted:

You perhaps have stupid brain for reading through the thread where people have pointed out, filled with frustration, that even though the hulu masters are not as good as the Italian DVDs, they don't have the primary problems of the blu-rays/DVDs. Your eyes are fine though :v:.

Oh, whoops.

Is there any logic behind them using different masters for streaming than for home media encoding?

EndOfTheWorld
Jul 22, 2004

I'm an excellent critic! I automatically know when someone's done a bad job. Before you ask, yes it's a mixed blessing.
Cybernetic Crumb

Snow Halation posted:

And that funny stuff is anime only. Eudial is a bland, one-off villain in the manga. Takeuchi never really developed the villains in the manga; the personalities we know and love/hate them for are creations of the anime.

Yeah, I feel like Kunihiko Ikuhara deserves most of the credit for taking Takeuchi's "outline" and making the original Sailor Moon into something fun. A lot of the weird, fun little touches (like Eudial's whole... thing) are also present in Revolutionary Girl Utena, another example of a stellar anime being made out of a so-so manga.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
I thought Utena was so so as a manga as it was a post-series adaptation of the anime?

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

In all fairness, the reason the Witches 5 and groups like them weren't fleshed out in the manga is the same reason that the monsters-of-the-week in the old anime didn't get fleshed out. Hell, most of the Witches 5 in the old anime got one episode each and basically just straight-up did their respective manga chapters because they ran out of episodes or something, ironically making them seem both more a competent than their colleagues because they went for something other than the usual "collect one macguffin a week" procedure and less competent for basically self-destructing in a single episode because the Sailor team wasn't actually allowed to beat human enemies in the anime.

JumbocactuarX27
Jan 9, 2011

Blargh! I'm a space parasite!

ConanThe3rd posted:

I thought Utena was so so as a manga as it was a post-series adaptation of the anime?

Chiho Saito was making the manga alongside the anime. She was part of BePapas (the group that came up with Utena) but didn't have a lot of influence on the show.

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」

ConanThe3rd posted:

I was under the impression (via the ANN interview) that the ghosting was a side effect of whatever dumbshitery they were doing trying to blow up a SD Video source into HD and they then crammed it down into SD to do thier DVD release (and then the pillerbox poo poo).

I didn't bother listening to the interview because the snippets that got mentioned by others who did were full of enough lies to make me worry for my blood pressure if I did, so I didn't know they claimed this. Mark that one in the lie column; that kind of ghosting is often caused by overly aggressive temporal smoothing, which is certainly not required before upscaling.

Dove from Above
Apr 16, 2007

Snowy! Have you thought about psittacosis?

JumbocactuarX27 posted:

Chiho Saito was making the manga alongside the anime. She was part of BePapas (the group that came up with Utena) but didn't have a lot of influence on the show.

She also disliked the whole "lesbian love story" element.
I know. She thought Revolutionary Girl Utena shouldn't have had lesbians. :rolleyes:

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

I'm watching RGU slowly, and man-- does it stay as good as the early episodes?

I mean, some of it is a little terrible, but there is so much asskicking by the main character.

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

Keep this up G'Bert, and soon you won't have a pigeon to protect!

SystemLogoff posted:

I mean, some of it is a little terrible, but there is so much asskicking by the main character.

it gets a lot better once stupid boy utena replaces her

JumbocactuarX27
Jan 9, 2011

SystemLogoff posted:

It's probably my second favorite anime ever (edging out Sailor Moon). But then, my taste is awful according to many people.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Utena's great unless you're expecting it to make sense, or have any kind of narrative arc or satisfying conclusion.

I have been assured that these things do actually exist but IMO if you have to explain it to people the show probably did not do a super great job of expressing itself.

It's like a David Lynch anime - it's impeccably stylish and fascinating to watch, at once whimsically funny and darkly upsetting, but in the end purposely obtuse and impenetrable for seemingly no other reason than to be obtuse and impenetrable.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib
RGU is deliberately artsy and obscure (one of the key pieces of repeated dialogue is a quote from Hermann Hesse, stock footage is used purposefully at points) but well worth watching.

Edit: It also really deserves a rewatch after you finish it.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Travis343 posted:

I have been assured that these things do actually exist but IMO if you have to explain it to people the show probably did not do a super great job of expressing itself.

That's a terrible standard. Sure, let's have every work of fiction not challenge the audience at all.

Utena's got a pretty straightforward emotional arc that peaks with the movie, and doesn't really require you to go back and put all the pieces together to appreciate it. It's just more rewarding if you do.

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

AzraelNewtype posted:

I didn't bother listening to the interview because the snippets that got mentioned by others who did were full of enough lies to make me worry for my blood pressure if I did, so I didn't know they claimed this. Mark that one in the lie column; that kind of ghosting is often caused by overly aggressive temporal smoothing, which is certainly not required before upscaling.

You are taking this too seriously. Lies? Really?

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002
Look man, nothing is more important than Sailor Moon on DVD

JumbocactuarX27
Jan 9, 2011

Fluffdaddy posted:

You are taking this too seriously. Lies? Really?

Viz is lying though? What's the problem with calling them out on their poo poo?

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

"Lie" has a lot of connotations that "mistake" doesn't.

JumbocactuarX27
Jan 9, 2011

moths posted:

"Lie" has a lot of connotations that "mistake" doesn't.

I'm thinking of those screen caps on their Neon Alley blog. Wouldn't "lie" apply there? Or have others online been misrepresenting their own screen caps of foreign DVDs?

Edit: They also stated in that interview that the ghosting thing was in the masters and not a result of the video work, but some folks who do that sort of thing for a living have been saying that Viz is lying about that.

JumbocactuarX27 fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Dec 17, 2014

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

JumbocactuarX27 posted:

Viz is lying though? What's the problem with calling them out on their poo poo?

I'm sure they're reading this thread with tears in their eyes

JumbocactuarX27
Jan 9, 2011

Namtab posted:

I'm sure they're reading this thread with tears in their eyes

Eh. It wouldn't change anything even if they were. Just seems silly and belittling to say that forums poster AzraelNewtype is "taking this too seriously" when they're frustrated about this release.

Content:

I really like the new dub.

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

So, I was watching Revolutionary Girl Utena's seventh episode, and when the sword fell from the sky and took the rose I had a good laughing fit.

Unless the plot gets really weird soon, I don't see how it's hard to understand though.

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

JumbocactuarX27 posted:

Eh. It wouldn't change anything even if they were. Just seems silly and belittling to say that forums poster AzraelNewtype is "taking this too seriously" when they're frustrated about this release.

Content:

I really like the new dub.
Wait, what's with the weird flashing in this GIF? If that's what the DVDs are like then, yeah, that's pretty bad

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.

SystemLogoff posted:

So, I was watching Revolutionary Girl Utena's seventh episode, and when the sword fell from the sky and took the rose I had a good laughing fit.

Unless the plot gets really weird soon, I don't see how it's hard to understand though.

The plot has not even really begun. It's... well, a lot of the oddities are in the trappings, the stock footage, the duel songs, but, no, no, it doesn't go off the rails, it goes to a place where there are no rails.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JumbocactuarX27
Jan 9, 2011

ALFbrot posted:

Wait, what's with the weird flashing in this GIF? If that's what the DVDs are like then, yeah, that's pretty bad

Yeah, I made it from the DVDs with gifcam and it's all over the opening for some episodes. It's more pronounced on the blurays, but I can't screencap those on my computer.

• Locked thread