Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Don't suppose there's a way to get a 100% save file that works with the latest patch? I am done with the Lost's bullshit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

I love how I seem unable to ever find Tech 2 with anyone BUT Cain, who has one eye and therefore has a unique reaction programmed into it (he loses the ability to shoot normal tears).

I mean, I'll still take it, especially on floor 1, since it's great for shooting across rooms, but it's especially silly.

LaughMyselfTo
Nov 15, 2012

by XyloJW

Bloody Pom posted:

Don't suppose there's a way to get a 100% save file that works with the latest patch? I am done with the Lost's bullshit.

"Dealing with bullshit to complete a goal" is otherwise known as "achieving things".

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

LaughMyselfTo posted:

"Dealing with bullshit to complete a goal" is otherwise known as "achieving things".

That's great and all, but it doesn't answer my question. :v:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
You could just use cheat engine. There's a BOI Rebirth cheat engine suite on the CE forums that works with the latest patch, all you gotta do is google it. Then you can infinite health your way through it without messing up any of your other progress or whathaveyou.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

CJacobs posted:

You could just use cheat engine. There's a BOI Rebirth cheat engine suite on the CE forums that works with the latest patch, all you gotta do is google it. Then you can infinite health your way through it without messing up any of your other progress or whathaveyou.

Cool, I may try that. Does it flag your game as modded while in use?

Worklurker
Jan 2, 2014

Bloody Pom posted:

Cool, I may try that. Does it flag your game as modded while in use?

No it does not, also it's nice to get that donation machine to 999 in less than an hour.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

LaughMyselfTo posted:

Hey buddy, if someone gets those achievements through cheating it doesn't lessen your achievement of this single player game. I say this as someone who isn't cheating to get my unlocks.

E.G.G.S.
Apr 15, 2006

Can't wait for the PS4 patch that fixes the red poo room in the chest, I always forget about it and my poor Lost run comes to an end. I just need the chest and the dark room and I can enjoy life again.

Hyphen-ated
Apr 24, 2006
Not to be confused with endash or minus.

Internet Kraken posted:

Why would you restart in the first place? It ruins your win streak if you do that.
Because racing other people is the only way I play this game and resetting for a decent item makes you more likely to win.

sayonara chainsaw
Sep 27, 2013

Ugato posted:

According to everything I've read nothing breaks it up other than dying. Resetting is just fine.

Great, now I can stop having fun by playing with The Lost.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

I'm too lazy to make a spinning gif, but yay for filling out all the hard mode card things.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Oh man, my last Lost run and it went out with a bang. First item was Mutant Spider, second treasure room had Cursed Eye. Then I got a ton of damage ups and eventually Death's Touch from a Devil Room. I had time to do the Boss Rush again and everything just got shredded. Then I got Tammy's Head in The Womb and it was over. :flashfap:

Now I just need to get everyone else's stuff.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Anyone know what here would cause my damage to get stuck at 3 bars? Several of these items give damage up but despite that my damage seems to be locked into a pathetic amount.

Unrelated; I'm really sick of depths/necro. It seems like every run I either fight War or the Mask. Getting pretty annoying.

VVV playing as Maggy

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Dec 15, 2014

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Internet Kraken posted:

Anyone know what here would cause my damage to get stuck at 3 bars? Several of these items give damage up but despite that my damage seems to be locked into a pathetic amount.

Unrelated; I'm really sick of depths/necro. It seems like every run I either fight War or the Mask. Getting pretty annoying.

Well, the thin Odd Mushroom gives you a slightly decreased damage in exchange for a much higher fire rate. That shouldn't have the effect you're seeing but it's the only item you have that nerfs damage.

What character are you playing as?

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
I finally got Real Platinum God! My lucky break came when I was able to cheese the arcade to give me 48-hour Energy pills. I had to take three of them plus pick up some battery charges to get to the Skeleton Key, and two more later on to get Missing No. It's strange now to be able to play the game without any pressure to play the game a certain way. When I was looking for Angel Room items, I'd have to skip Devil Rooms, no matter how tempting; and when I was looking for secret room items, I had to dump all my rerolls there, and look around for Judgment cards or anything that could spawn an item in a secret room.

Also strange is that the game doesn't require you to do anything but Mom's Heart in hard mode for Real Platinum God. It's such a clear thing that exists and can be completed, but it doesn't count for anything.

Is there a way to transfer my save to the Vita version, or just download a 100% save for it? Because gently caress ever having to do all that again, especially on a portable device.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Apparently if you get Taurus and Unicorn Stump in the same run they have a glitchy interaction. Using the stump will make you invincible but you'll appear normal. However, you will deal a miniscule amount of contact damage instead of none like normal. Its not as good real invincibility but it still lets you kill certain enemies very easily.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Internet Kraken posted:

VVV playing as Maggy

The Pact and MEAT! don't give very much +damage, while Cat-o-Nine-Tails is counteracted by the thin Odd Mushroom, and Chemical Peel only applies to every other shot.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

With the seemingly lower tears cap I feel like thin odd mushroom is only worth it under very specific circumstances. Certainly I wouldn't touch it after the pact.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.
So if you get Transcendence and then use Scissors, you get an invisible body. It's neat but also very annoying.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Koramei posted:

wait is there a way to cheese with seeds again? I thought they disabled that

You don't have to update on the Playstation versions of the game. I wish people would realize that seeds are dependent on the version of the game you're running though (PC, PS4, and Vita all have different seeds).

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one
Not being able to bomb your way into special rooms is getting on my nerves so much, I might just stop playing until they fix that. Also gently caress the blue champion version of the invisible enemies that shoot tears in all directions on death. This game has too much bullshit to play The Lost. :bahgawd:

Prop Wash posted:

With the seemingly lower tears cap I feel like thin odd mushroom is only worth it under very specific circumstances. Certainly I wouldn't touch it after the pact.
I considered thin odd mushroom a trash-tier special item in the original BoI where you always seemed to get max tears by the end of a run anyways. In Rebirth I will take it whenever I have no other tear upgrades and at least one dmg up (but only in those circumstances.)

I've had too many runs where I get all these great damage ups showered on me, one tears down pill, and then I never find any tears up items the whole game. With damage scaling off and no special tear effects you can actually have pretty weak damage output for the womb and beyond despite picking up a staggering number of great damage up items.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Well, I'd be lying if I said I didn't feel a little bad for cheating my way through The Lost, but gently caress doing it normally. I play this game to break it over my knee and make new and fascinating item combinations. I don't play it to beat my head against a brick wall for hundreds of runs in a row.

:byewhore:

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

I think the game knows that I only have 3 items left to find and is actively working against me. I had picked up the Mitre and ignored all of Satan's deals for 4 floors while not taking a single hit of damage, and no angel room ever popped up. Meanwhile, secret rooms are just flat-out not spawning in sane locations anymore, choosing to spawn between the boss room and sacrifice chamber instead of the nice U-shaped set of rooms with all accessible walls. :tinfoil:

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

For unlocking the D4, do I have to destroy the arcade machines though spending money or can I just bomb them? Somehow I haven't destroyed 30 yet but I feel like I must have bombed at least that many by now.

cryptoclastic
Jul 3, 2003

The Jesus

Hyphen-ated posted:

Because racing other people is the only way I play this game and resetting for a decent item makes you more likely to win.

Teach me to go fast.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.

Manatee Cannon posted:

For unlocking the D4, do I have to destroy the arcade machines though spending money or can I just bomb them? Somehow I haven't destroyed 30 yet but I feel like I must have bombed at least that many by now.

Unless they changed it in a patch it's both. I got mine off a bombing, pretty sure most others did as well. I kept thinking the same as you, just keep bombing them and it'll pop.

If it was getting 30 Dollar items that would be some kind of awful rng-based grind.

Crotch Bat fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Dec 15, 2014

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Sanctum posted:

Not being able to bomb your way into special rooms is getting on my nerves so much, I might just stop playing until they fix that. Also gently caress the blue champion version of the invisible enemies that shoot tears in all directions on death. This game has too much bullshit to play The Lost. :bahgawd:

Do we know if the devs actually consider that a bug? I mean it is incredibly annoying but it seemed fairly deliberate.

Wugga
Oct 30, 2006

I BEAT MEAT
BASE
MENT

is

fun.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Crotch Bat posted:

Unless they changed it in a patch it's both. I got mine off a bombing, pretty sure most others did as well. I kept thinking the same as you, just keep bombing them and it'll pop.

If it was getting 30 Dollar items that would be some kind of awful rng-based grind.

Pretty soon after I asked that question I blew up a single arcade machine and the D4 unlocked, so yeah you were right. You don't need to blow them up in a specific way.

Though you aren't guaranteed to get the Dollar from playing slots so yeah if that were the case it'd be up there with Meat Boy and Bandage Girl for terrible unlocks.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT

Wugga posted:

BASE
MENT

is

fun.

wtf is happening here?!

Wugga
Oct 30, 2006

I BEAT MEAT

chippy posted:

wtf is happening here?!

Presumably it's Sad Bombs + Cricket's Body + Parasite + Tough Love with a side order of ludicrous range. Could be something else on top of it, but I can't be sure anymore as I'd picked up so much crap.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Looks like My Reflection as well, the way it follows Isaac.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Manatee Cannon posted:

You don't have to update on the Playstation versions of the game. I wish people would realize that seeds are dependent on the version of the game you're running though (PC, PS4, and Vita all have different seeds).

They're not? My girlfriend and I play the same seeds all the time. They're always the same, except when she has the Cellar. She plays on her save, and I play on my Vita on a save where I barely have anything unlocked. Sometimes she finds items I don't have.

scourgeofthe7bees
Jun 21, 2008

IUG posted:

Looks like My Reflection as well, the way it follows Isaac.

Anti-grav too maybe, with the way the teeth just sort of float there for a bit.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

So I recently finished off all the challenges, and just have to beat the dark room with Judas, then I think the only other thing I need outside of hard mode stuff is Meat Boy.

...Is there a way I can cheat to unlock Godhead? I'm a terrible person and terrible at games, and I really don't feel like dealing with lost runs the legit way.

E: On the latest version on PC.

Hyphen-ated
Apr 24, 2006
Not to be confused with endash or minus.

cryptoclastic posted:

Teach me to go fast.
The most important thing is to be able to avoid needless damage so you can go fast and still not die. AKA "don't get hit". Learn all the enemy patterns and pay attention. This is harder in rebirth than it was in WOTL because some enemies can pop up under you on jump onto you in an undodgeable way. oh well, do the best you can.

Always reset for a good starting item. The fastest way is to hold R and not release it until your starting room has a curse room or item room next to it. You're generally looking for something that substantially increases your DPS, preferably while also scaling with tears up and damage up.

Here are some example items I will start:
Knife, ipecac, epic fetus, magic mushroom, 20/20, cricket's head, sad onion, cricket's body, brimstone baby, fly-shooting baby, pact, pentagram, blood of the martyr, quad shot, infestation 2, proptosis, monstro's lung, mulligan, goat head, polyphemus, scythes, small rock, growth hormones

Here are some example items I don't start:
Relic, mitre, mascara, wide odd mushroom, stigmata, technology 1 or 2, any zodiac sign, any item that only gives speed or health, shielded tears

There are some items I used to start in WOTL that I don't start in rebirth. The main difference is that devil deals are no longer a consistent source of "carry items". In WOTL the main purpose of your starting item was to quickly get you to your first few devil deals where you could hopefully find either knife, brimstone, or guppy. A regular tears build was generally something you would be forced to fall back on and be unhappy about it.
In rebirth, devil deals don't consistently give you those things, but there are a lot more items that can give you really good regular tears. So your starting item matters a lot more; you want it to be seriously helping you through the whole run.

The things I used to start and don't anymore include:
Regular shooting familiars like brother bobby or sister maggy, forever alone or distant admiration, halo, sacrificial dagger, a single non-tail guppy touch, mapping, dr fetus (it sucks now)

Bomb lots of mushrooms in the caves to try to find the liberty cap, which is a super common drop from them. You can use it for poor-man's mapping, by walking back and forth through a door until eventually it gives you a compass effect. This is only really worth doing on the last few floors. But if you get this trinket, always pay attention to the map to see if you get a lucky compass effect while doing a floor.

You can also try to get real mapping from a shop, but the pool of shop items is so big now that this is very inconsistent. Mapping is huge though so if you see a map or compass early, do whatever it takes to buy it, clearing the whole floor if necessary.

Try hard to get every devil deal you can, which means don't take red heart damage (especially not on the boss) and bomb beggars on floors when you don't have a guaranteed deal. A deal is guaranteed if these are both true: #1 you haven't taken any red heart damage and #2 you are on basement 2 or you got no devil deals on the previous two floors.

If you get stuck on god rooms and your build is weak, I think it's usually right to kill the angel to get a double reroll of god items.

The amount of time you're willing to spend finding an item room should be directly correlated with how weak you are. Once your build is good enough, stop spending any time at all going to item rooms, unless there's one like RIGHT THERE. The same applies to clearing rooms for your D6 charges. It is generally worth it in the early game to get your D6 one-away-from-charged before you do the boss room, since rerolling a devil deal can have such a big impact.

All of the above applies to Isaac with the D6. Azazel is faster because you just start with one of the best items, but that's boring so nobody really races azazel.

After you get fast enough that you can beat the chest in, like, 30 minutes or less sometimes, go to speedrunslive and race with other people. (you have to be able to stream, but not at high quality. literally 1fps is acceptable) Learn tricks by watching and chatting with others. After a couple hundred races you'll probably be fast.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Bloody Pom posted:

Well, I'd be lying if I said I didn't feel a little bad for cheating my way through The Lost, but gently caress doing it normally. I play this game to break it over my knee and make new and fascinating item combinations. I don't play it to beat my head against a brick wall for hundreds of runs in a row.

:byewhore:

I don't feel bad at all. I can now focus on doing the rest of the game legit because those challenges are within my skill-level to do and still have fun. The Lost was beyond my ability to do with any sort of sanity (hell, I tried for two days to unlock him and failed) so I really don't mind just cheesing the gently caress out of that portion of the game.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Holy poo poo this start is good.

I started as Judas, got Fire Mind in the first item room, Virus from Lust, and Synthol from the boss room.
On the second floor I got Dark Bum in the item room, Mom's Pants from the boss room and Tammy's Body from the Devil Room.
Now, on the third floor I've just gotten PHD and Cricket's Head, and I haven't even gotten to the boss yet!

I'm doing so much damage for being on the third floor, this is crazy.

For comparison, on my last run I had Soy Milk and Brimstone. That was an interesting combination.

EDIT: Just got Fear Shot from the boss room.

EDIT2: Just became Guppy.

Wow, I think this seed may have all the standard Guppy items, I've found Guppy's Body, Guppy's Tail, Guppy's Collar, Guppy's Paw and Guppy's head, though I didn't use the two last ones.

ThaumPenguin fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Dec 15, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

BJPaskoff posted:

They're not? My girlfriend and I play the same seeds all the time. They're always the same, except when she has the Cellar. She plays on her save, and I play on my Vita on a save where I barely have anything unlocked. Sometimes she finds items I don't have.

I've tried seeds from both the PS4 and PC and they've never worked. Though I guess it's possible that either they change depending on whether you've updated or maybe depending on what unlocks you have. Though I've never tried one for something I didn't already have unlocked. :iiam: