Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

omeg
Sep 3, 2012

Does it change the 7 red hearts secret room into black hearts? :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

Nope, doesn't effect super secret rooms, sadly.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

golden bubble posted:

Did you have Daemon's Tail? It turns out that trinket does a ton of things that are not obvious. In particular,

like drat a whole lot of things

What the gently caress? That's such a random list of effects for something that I just assumed boosted "Evil" and thus simply the chances of getting a devil room and doesn't even hint that it might be doing something else.

There any other trinkets with completely disparate descriptions compared to their effects?

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

golden bubble posted:

Did you have Daemon's Tail? It turns out that trinket does a ton of things that are not obvious. In particular,

All red/soul hearts are re-rolled into other consumables (POSSIBLY black hearts).
Mitre, Bible Tract, Mom's Pearl are useless.
Chad, Relic, Gimpy, Old Bandage, Blood Penny, Fortune Teller have greatly decreased heart drop rates
Lovers and Hierophant card will only drop 1 Red/Soul Heart instead of 2.
Rooms with hearts already on the ground will be changed into Black Hearts upon entrance
Hearts from killing champion enemies just disappear.

In short, if you're not the Lost, don't pick up the Daemon's Tail.

I did have the demon tail. I still think I'll pick it up thoug, if only because black hearts rule and only scrubs care about red hearts get MLG bro.

SuccinctAndPunchy posted:

What the gently caress? That's such a random list of effects for something that I just assumed boosted "Evil" and thus simply the chances of getting a devil room and doesn't even hint that it might be doing something else.

There any other trinkets with completely disparate descriptions compared to their effects?

"Sin" is the chance of getting the devil room. "Evil" is black hearts.

Dark Grapefruit
Jun 3, 2006

All cans are welcome and equal in your city, regardless of can content, and whether empty or full.

:toot:
Finally. Sharp Plug + Wafer + Pyromaniac + Ipecac. Now I just need to pick up the Super Bandage and Black Lotus for PG.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

Ariong posted:

"Sin" is the chance of getting the devil room. "Evil" is black hearts.

I looked it up on the wiki and apparently neither is true, because neither Evil nor Sin is an actual stat and no item with those descriptions actually do anything to the devil room chance so points for more misleading bullshit guys! So sayeth the Wiki, anyway.

this is in weird contrast to things like the Bible Tract and Rosary Bead which actually do effect the chance of angel rooms albeit not in the obvious way.

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

Wugga posted:

200+ hours played and I never knew these things could spawn in the Basement.

Do those things ever actually pose a threat? I've never left them alive long enough to see if they do anything.

Bubble Bobby
Jan 28, 2005

ChibiSoma posted:

If you don't get Brimstone by Caves 2, reset and try again. Take anything that would boost your chances at a Devil Room. I dunno if blowing up beggars still counts towards it, but do it anyway. I beat the boss rush with Brimstone and a Magician card. Park your rear end behind the right set of middle rocks and unload. Damage Ups obviously help speed things up. The only times you'll have to move are when Monstro 2/Gish show up and the Mask/Bloat round to keep from eating poo poo on the Bloat's side lasers.

I'm really glad I got The Lost completely done before the nerfs dropped. Hopefully the delay in console patches means I can do that before they hit on the PS4, too.

Thanks for the advice....just choked on the lamb w/ stopwatch and lord of the flies........lost is driving me insane in a fun way

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Walrus Pete posted:

Do those things ever actually pose a threat? I've never left them alive long enough to see if they do anything.

Nope. They just sit there. Usually they act as meatshields for other enemies or to artificially extend the time spent in a Mom's Hand room.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

SuccinctAndPunchy posted:

I looked it up on the wiki and apparently neither is true, because neither Evil nor Sin is an actual stat and no item with those descriptions actually do anything to the devil room chance so points for more misleading bullshit guys! So sayeth the Wiki, anyway.

this is in weird contrast to things like the Bible Tract and Rosary Bead which actually do effect the chance of angel rooms albeit not in the obvious way.

Then what does the black lipstick do?

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

Ariong posted:

Then what does the black lipstick do?

..okay no so exactly one item with that description does something to the devil room chance but I'm not sure if it's the counterpart to the rosary bead in the sense that it affects the spawn odds of the type of room rather than simply the chances of the room spawning at all, if that makes any sense because that was confusing to type and was probably just as confusing to read. Oh, it also ups the odds of black hearts appearing but lowers soul heart chance.

but yes black lipstick is apparently the sole exception here unless I've once again missed something

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
How do you guys know which items you need to for PG/RPG? Is there some big list of completed items I can easily compare my ingame one too?

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

Internet Kraken posted:

How do you guys know which items you need to for PG/RPG? Is there some big list of completed items I can easily compare my ingame one too?

Yeah, there is.

cryptoclastic
Jul 3, 2003

The Jesus

So which of those are required for Platinum God, and not Real Platinum God?

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

cryptoclastic posted:

So which of those are required for Platinum God, and not Real Platinum God?

The difference between the two is if you got The Lost's items or not.

Hyphen-ated
Apr 24, 2006
Not to be confused with endash or minus.

cryptoclastic posted:

That's one thing I've noticed between watching WoTL and Rebirth racing. In WoTL it seemed like mapping was almost necessary to win. In many of the Rebirth races I've seen mapping seems to be much less important.
It was never necessary, it just helped a lot. Mapping is mostly as good as it was before, the big difference is that it's harder to get. It was *worth* spending the time rerolling shops to try for it before, so you saw people doing it all the time. Now it seems like it's rare enough that clearing rooms to roll for it costs you more time on average than you'll save.

Granted, we don't know all the tricks with floor generation like we used to, like counting even/odd rooms when you have a map to get big hints about the right path to take for the boss room. So it's slightly less powerful to have a map now. But it's still very very good.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
Time to dump a week's worth of screenshots, I guess. (Still not very many, as taking action shots on the Vita is a pain in the rear end.)

Max tears + Cancer turns you into a goddamn machine gunner. This was one of my favorite builds, and was basically whatever I'd been hoping to achieve with Soy Milk, without Soy Milk.

Pro tip: "I'll just go into one extra room and maybe find a Soul Heart" is not a viable strategy for the Dark Room. :suicide:

Polyphemus + Cupid's Arrow + Dead Onion + Cricket's Body + God knows what else. This was my first time clearing The Chest, and it was not a challenge, to say the least.

Behold the Blood Cloud, the most overpowered build I've ever achieved. Among all the other things, Parasite + Spoon Bender causes tears that split upon contact with an enemy, and then all the pieces immediately home back in on the enemy they just hit. I don't think the fight with It Lives lasted two seconds.

The rarest boss in the game, I think, according to the wiki. Had him show up on the run after he unlocked, but I still haven't seen The Wretched outside of the boss rush.

Anybody ever have the map go all screwy like this? I wasn't 100% sure this was a bug rather than a feature, as it sort of seemed like I was controlling it in a way I couldn't understand.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

Rollersnake posted:

Anybody ever have the map go all screwy like this? I wasn't 100% sure this was a bug rather than a feature, as it sort of seemed like I was controlling it in a way I couldn't understand.

When you have the big map up you can resize it and move it around by using swipes/pinches. So you probably accidentally touched your screen in a way that made the map get resized super huge.

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Well hey there, Dead Boy. It's about loving time you showed up! Had a Hard Mode Isaac run that I got Li'l Brimstone and Lost Contact on. Then I scored Triple Shot in the Chest and had an Emperor card. ??? couldn't touch me.

I'm hoping since this trophy's fixed, the others are as well so I can unlock The Lost and start working on his garbage on the PS4. Can finally finish the Challenges, too.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I don't think the game wants me to unlock the lost. The two times I've tried, I get the first three parts done and the game crashes when I hit New Game to do Az's part :(.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Mr E posted:

I don't think the game wants me to unlock the lost. The two times I've tried, I get the first three parts done and the game crashes when I hit New Game to do Az's part :(.

For that I honestly suggest using Cheat Engine's Lost Unlocker, especially if you're being screwed due to crashes.

ajkalan
Aug 17, 2011

I went through a ~70 game losing streak on The Lost, including runs where I picked up Mom's Knife, Brimstone, Ipecac, and other such assorted goodies without making it past the Depths. It took finding a Dead Cat and Stopwatch to take me through the Chest. I found no damage ups throughout the whole game, too.

I'm not looking forward to trying again for the boss rush and Dark Room.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

what the gently caress, why is the poop so useful

The same thing works with the retractable spike tiles. But the spikes have to be down before you can poop on them.

Managed to pick up Isaac's Heart in a run, and I've found out some interesting things about it.

Blood donation machines are now infinite use, although they seem to blow up a lot sooner.
IV Bag can be used indefinitely without consequence. Really good if you find a number 3 dice room on the floor too.
If the Dry Baby sprite appears over the heart sprite, Isaac is pretty much immortal since Dry Baby will be taking all the hits.
You can walk over spikes and creep and touch enemies without being hurt.
Isaac's and Conquest's light beams can't hurt you anymore. I think. Could just be wonky hitboxes.

I still don't recommend picking it up unless those upsides really sound appealing to you, since the heart's movement is gonna be weird. Don't pick up the heart if you want to use the Sharp Plug. It won't work anymore if you do.

Araxxor fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Dec 16, 2014

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The poop is good for when you have absolutely no other spacebar item, or if you have kamikaze and want to ditch it because kamikaze is universally detrimental to you.

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Playing family man right now, do damage ups apply to familiar damage?

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?
What's the perfect combo of items to beat Lost runs with?

I'm assuming it's something and Gnawed Leaf?

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

iSheep posted:

Playing family man right now, do damage ups apply to familiar damage?

No, only the blue flies.

ajkalan
Aug 17, 2011

goodness posted:

What's the perfect combo of items to beat Lost runs with?

I'm assuming it's something and Gnawed Leaf?

Gnawed Leaf, Holy Mantle, and at least one mobile passive attacker (Daddy Longlegs, the floating eyeball, etc.) ensures a victory, albeit very slowly.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.
Stopwatch is absurdly useful for Lost runs as projectile-based bosses and mobs cease to be a threat since their stuff travels about 2 feet and dies.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
In a game full of horribly broken items the stopwatch still manages to stand out as the most blatantly overpowered. I have no idea how you would ever lose after picking it up.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe
If you unlock the door to Mega-Satan, then use a Forget-Me-Now to restart the Dark Room, can you still get in to Mega Satan?

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.
What the hell is the convertor supposed to be? I mean, I know what it does in game, but what is the sprite supposed to be?

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.

IMJack posted:

If you unlock the door to Mega-Satan, then use a Forget-Me-Now to restart the Dark Room, can you still get in to Mega Satan?

If you have Dad's Key, yes. The follower Key works like a normal key and goes away on use.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
Just beat Beans! on the first try despite running into red mom at the end. Tammy's Head is a pretty decent first-floor find for that challenge, though not as good as a candle. Definitely a pretty bleh challenge, though. Just the Tank, Darkness Falls, and Suicide King left to go!

emTme3
Nov 7, 2012

by Hand Knit

emTme3 fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Mar 31, 2022

a bloody icon
Apr 22, 2012

But Stop Watch also requires you to have donated 999 coins to the shop, whereas Krampus's Head drops like 50% of the time and Krampus shows up with absurd regularity.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Since I usually go for Devil Deals, I tend to find Krampus every run. Krampus' Head is the reason I beat a fair number of challenges because of how good it is.

Yet despite owning the game since launch, I've only just unlocked the Blue Candle (another really great item), so yeah, I'm looking forward to Stopwatch so I can break this game even more, but the slowed down music might get annoying after a while. Broken Watch is still a great item because it seems to slow things down just when I want it to, it's pretty cool.

Also kinda cool how fixing the watch takes $9.99.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

This all came together on floor three. :stare:

Sometimes the game just wants you to win.

E: and re-rolling the key the angel dropped gave me The Soul too. :getin:

Alkydere fucked around with this message at 09:44 on Dec 16, 2014

Sebbe
Feb 29, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sQ8xiSG0TxA&t=3690s
Well, that's one way to beat Mega Satan. :stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Head
Sep 16, 2008
The new familiars in rebirth are so great. They've clearly had a lot of thought put into them with respect to how powerful they are. I find so many of them useful but not run winning in themselves. Rotten baby in particular is so underrated. In lets plays I see so many people turn him down and it's always a mistake.