Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Israel put the United States on notice that it expected Washington to
This is such intolerable bullshit. The little fuckup client state should be kissing the US's rear end 10 times a week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW
Truman should have taken the State Department's advice and refused to recognize Israel back in 1948.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Miltank posted:

Truman should have taken the State Department's advice and refused to recognize Israel back in 1948.

Why? What would be different?

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

Xander77 posted:

In other news, an actual witness. But hey, how reliable are those?

Technically the bet was whether the assailant uttered the phrase "Kill all Jews" like some antisemitic Bender parody, but in the interest of fairness I'll concede and buy you an upgrade.

Would an insulting red title text please you? Otherwise I'm gonna need a contact adress.

And BTW, Absurd, I didn't use the platinum upgrade you sent me yet, since we're being fair and all I suppose I ought to buy you an upgrade instead? Though I honestly don't recall ever betting 20$ on this thing, are you guys fleecing me?

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Technically the bet was whether the assailant uttered the phrase "Kill all Jews" like some antisemitic Bender parody, but in the interest of fairness I'll concede and buy you an upgrade.

Would an insulting red title text please you? Otherwise I'm gonna need a contact adress.

And BTW, Absurd, I didn't use the platinum upgrade you sent me yet, since we're being fair and all I suppose I ought to buy you an upgrade instead? Though I honestly don't recall ever betting 20$ on this thing, are you guys fleecing me?

My Christmas gift to you is that you can just send that upgrade over to Xander and we're all פיטים.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Otherwise I'm gonna need a contact adress.

Username at gmail, and I'd actually like a "change another's avatar" coupon right now. :)

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-30511569

EU court rejects Hamas' terrorist status for the time being because those making the case can't base their opinion on its actual actions but press/internet hyperbole :v:

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

DarkCrawler posted:

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-30511569

EU court rejects Hamas' terrorist status for the time being because those making the case can't base their opinion on its actual actions but press/internet hyperbole :v:

quote:

"Today we witnessed staggering examples of European hypocrisy," Netanyahu said at a meeting with Senator Joni Ernst.
"In Luxemburg the European court removed Hamas from the list of terrorist organisations, Hamas that has committed countless war crimes and countless terror acts," Netanyahu's office quoted him as saying.

He went on to say that "It seems that too many in Europe, on whose soil six million Jews were slaughtered, have learned nothing."

http://www.ynetnews.com/articles/0,7340,L-4604960,00.html

Where's Israel has clearly taken some cues:

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
How dare they forget the Holocaust

*ethnically cleanses people based on religion, practices apartheid*

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
I love that the entire continent of Europe are complicity Holocaust supporters now the way he describes them. :wtc:

Cippalippus
Mar 31, 2007

Out for a ride, chillin out w/ a couple of friends. Going to be back for dinner
I do wonder why Israel sends an rear end in a top hat like him in power. Don't they care about how the world sees them? What little support they had in Europe and Turkey has been mostly squandered in the last few years.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
A bunch of true believers that drank the Kool-Aid twenty-five years ago are running the show. They're truly able to stay in their own little world thanks to the protection of the US. Also I love that Europe will suffer since Israel can take care of its enemies just fine.*

*Is given $250 million worth of missiles for iron dome by the US. Iron dome barely works. Needs total overkill military response to kids playing on the beach and guys shooting jack rockets I could buy and launch on 4th of July here by the dozen.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Xander77 posted:

Username at gmail, and I'd actually like a "change another's avatar" coupon right now. :)

למה אתה מניאק? הדוד מאמריקה מנסה לסדר הכל ואתה בא והורס? רבאק.

Fizzil
Aug 24, 2005

There are five fucks at the edge of a cliff...

Is there any communication between Israel and the Arab countries? i heard in the news that they will put up a peace plan to normalize relationships and end the occupation, but not holding my breath over this going anywhere.

Lustful Man Hugs
Jul 18, 2010

Shouldn't the Israeli government desperately be mending diplomatic fences in the hopes that they can ensure a friendly US administration in 2016? I know there are a lot of various fanatics and political ideologues in the current administration, but surely there are staffers, secretaries, etc in the government who are capable of basic self-interest.

Also, what about the two thirds or so of Europe who fought against the Nazis from beginning to end? Is the holocaust their responsibility too?

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Absurd Alhazred posted:

I don't think money made from this enormously stupid bet deserves to be treated in a constructive manner.

In other news, what does Tintin have to do with anything? (Ask google translate, I suppose)

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
So the only person running against King Bibi in the Likud primaries is MK Danny "I said that Bibi is more of a leftist than Meretz Chairwoman Ze'eva Galon during Protective Edge so he fired me and now I have a grudge" Danon.

Feiglin was initially in the running but bowed out of the race. I guess all hopes of an upset coming through the Likud primaries are now officially over.
http://www.haaretz.com/news/national/.premium-1.632503?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Xander77 posted:

I don't think money made from this enormously stupid bet deserves to be treated in a constructive manner.

In other news, what does Tintin have to do with anything? (Ask google translate, I suppose)

I sent you the plat upgrade, that's what you're getting, now settle down.

Oh and I wanted to respond to this also:

Time will tell what will exactly happen with both indictments but there's a benign possibility that the court/prosecution didn't want to charge teenagers with Terrorism/hate-crime charges that could lead to them being locked up in prison for over a decade and wanted to send out a message instead that people like Benzi Gopstein and the Lehava leadership who incite children and teenagers are the real culprits here.

Not a terrible sentiment in my opinion, one can only hope that the same amount of forgiveness would be applied towards Palestinian youth.

emanresu tnuocca fucked around with this message at 10:27 on Dec 18, 2014

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Except that's not what the bet terms were? Please stop trying to "us" me :)

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

Xander77 posted:

There were no terms concerning how the 10$ is to be provided, and if we are to discuss technicalities I have technically won this bet as I said cause this:

quote:

10$ that man never actually said "Kill all Jews", any takers?

is pretty specific.

I know you see it as your duty as a citizen of the third temple kingdom to derail this thread at every possibility but I think that this has gone on long enough, enjoy your private messages or whatever platinum does.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Xander77 posted:

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Xander77 posted:

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Xander77 posted:

emanresu tnuocca posted:

There were no terms concerning how the 10$ is to be provided, and if we are to discuss technicalities I have technically won this bet as I said cause this:

"10$ that man never actually said "Kill all Jews", any takers?"

is pretty specific.

I know you see it as your duty as a citizen of the third temple kingdom to derail this thread at every possibility but I think that this has gone on long enough, enjoy your private messages or whatever platinum does.

israelpalestine.txt

:backtowork:

emanresu tnuocca posted:

So the only person running against King Bibi in the Likud primaries is MK Danny "I said that Bibi is more of a leftist than Meretz Chairwoman Ze'eva Galon during Protective Edge so he fired me and now I have a grudge" Danon.

Feiglin was initially in the running but bowed out of the race. I guess all hopes of an upset coming through the Likud primaries are now officially over.
http://www.haaretz.com/news/national/.premium-1.632503?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

I could swear I heard that he wanted to join Jewish Home or one of the further right-wing parties a few days ago. Best of luck, you crazy fucker!

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...

emanresu tnuocca posted:

quote:

10$ that man never actually said "Kill all Jews", any takers?
is pretty specific.

10 American, Canadian, or Zimbabwean dollars? :colbert:

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos

Lustful Man Hugs posted:

Shouldn't the Israeli government desperately be mending diplomatic fences in the hopes that they can ensure a friendly US administration in 2016? I know there are a lot of various fanatics and political ideologues in the current administration, but surely there are staffers, secretaries, etc in the government who are capable of basic self-interest.

Also, what about the two thirds or so of Europe who fought against the Nazis from beginning to end? Is the holocaust their responsibility too?

Do you really think they need to worry about mending fences at all? It looks to be either Clinton or a Republican, who will have needed to get Adelson's approval. I don't see either option resisting Israel even as little as Obama has.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Lustful Man Hugs posted:

There's no way there's going to be an unfriendly US administration anytime in the next six years. For one thing, the 2016 election season is starting pretty soon, so Obama is going to have to dial it back in order to keep the big Democratic donors happy. For another, "refusing to unconditionally veto any and all UN proposals which condemn Israel's actions in any way" is not the same as "unfriendly" and Israel will do just fine with even a neutral America, at least in the near future.

Implying that the war effort against Germany had anything at all to do with the Holocaust is almost as dishonest as bringing up the Holocaust at all in relation to post-1970s Israel. Discrimination against Jews was still common all over Europe in the 30s, just as discrimination against Muslims is common all over Europe now...but that last part is enough to put to rest the idea that removing Hamas from the list has anything to do with discrimination. Indeed, the fact that the court chose to keep Hamas' funds frozen despite the fact that their inclusion on the terrorist list was declared to have been incorrect is an important indicator of how much that finding really matters. Israel's just using it as an opportunity to play the oppressed underdog for PR purposes.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
The thing you should all realize about Israeli politics is that there is currently no serious mechanism to promote people thinking of a post-US Middle East (or post-Israel-in-US's-favor, anyway). Not just because of what Main Paineframe brought up as far as how unlikely that is in the next 6ish years, but because for so long there has been no reason to think differently, that it is not a campaign breaker, while being weak on terrorism is.

Long term, yeah, Israeli policies are promising it a world of hurt as soon as the US pivots slightly away; but there is hardly anyone near power there who really feels it politically at the moment.

Now would be a great time for the US to make its ire known, what with elections coming up in three months. But is this Administration willing to troll here as much as it did with Cuba? :smith:

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Probably helped that nobody gives a poo poo about Cuba, besides some really old/Republican Cuban-Americans.

Brainbread
Apr 7, 2008

DarkCrawler posted:

Probably helped that nobody gives a poo poo about Cuba, besides some really old/Republican Cuban-Americans.

Canadians do! Well, Sherritt International cares. The Embargo being lifted might mean they can actually deal with USA now, or buy American equipment. Then there is the concern that lifting the embargo will hurt Canadian businesses, since we're a huge trading and tourism partner with Cuba, and American competition will suck - one of the biggest concerns is our Cuban Cigar business. Americans enjoy traveling to Canada to buy them, so that'll hurt if y'all can import them directly.

(For people that don't know, Sherritt International and a few other companies are banned from dealing with USA, and their executives/spouses/children are banned from entry due to dealing with Cuba while its Embargo'd)

Brainbread fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Dec 18, 2014

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

Brainbread posted:

Then there is the concern that lifting the embargo will hurt Canadian businesses, since we're a huge trading and tourism partner with Cuba, and American competition will suck - one of the biggest concerns is our Cuban Cigar business. Americans enjoy traveling to Canada to buy them, so that'll hurt if y'all can import them directly.

I always got a kick out of american friends and family coming up here and buying cuban cigars and acting soooo satisfied finally smoking cuban cigars. If something is illegal its just so much more sweet to consume!

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I think we are still a bit far from the end of the embargo. Right now it depends on how much US corps needle the GOP into ending it so they can make more money. I will say the GOP has been pretty quiet on this other than Rubio.

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
I JUST REALLY WANT TO gently caress ARIEL SHARON

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
I love him so much I can't control it

How am I supposed to live like this??

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
One day at a time?

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Dig up his grave and craft dildos out of his bones.

Either that or invent a device to travel backward in time.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Just as an example of how divorced from reality, as well as the rest of Israeli society, the ideological settlers are, there are apparently enough people in that movement who see Bennett as a leftist compromiser that a leader felt the need to write an op ed opposing this characterization. That's right, there are people who call Bennett, chairman of Jewish Home, is a Hellenist Jew ("מתיוון", a very loaded word this time of year, as Hannukah celebrates the victory of religious fundamentalists over compromised Jews who were felt to be too strongly affiliated with foreign, Greek-inspired ideas), who is not sufficiently dedicated to Jewish values, and this op ed authors warns against the dangers that a split on that basis hold for the settlement movement.

Lustful Man Hugs
Jul 18, 2010

Main Paineframe posted:

There's no way there's going to be an unfriendly US administration anytime in the next six years. For one thing, the 2016 election season is starting pretty soon, so Obama is going to have to dial it back in order to keep the big Democratic donors happy. For another, "refusing to unconditionally veto any and all UN proposals which condemn Israel's actions in any way" is not the same as "unfriendly" and Israel will do just fine with even a neutral America, at least in the near future.

I don't think this is as much as a given as it was a while ago. I could see a Clinton administration cooling off ties with Israel if a large chunk of Europe has already done the same by 2016. It already looks like things are going to be this way over the next few years, and if there's another Gaza conflict in the interim two years, it will just accelerate this process. Hillary Clinton isn't really anything of an ideologue one way or another, and will probably be fairly on a lot of foreign policy issues.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Lustful Man Hugs posted:

I don't think this is as much as a given as it was a while ago. I could see a Clinton administration cooling off ties with Israel if a large chunk of Europe has already done the same by 2016. It already looks like things are going to be this way over the next few years, and if there's another Gaza conflict in the interim two years, it will just accelerate this process. Hillary Clinton isn't really anything of an ideologue one way or another, and will probably be fairly on a lot of foreign policy issues.

See the second half of what you quoted. Us being less friendly with Israel is not the same as being unfriendly with them. Israel can survive just fine without the US subsidizing their military, and there's no way we're going to put economic sanctions on them. Besides, if Obama is any indication, the big thing annoying US leadership about Israel isn't their tendency to wage indiscriminate warfare against armed Muslim groups, but rather settlement expansion.

SyHopeful
Jun 24, 2007
May an IDF soldier mistakenly gun down my own parents and face no repercussions i'd totally be cool with it cuz accidents are unavoidable in a low-intensity conflict, man

Lustful Man Hugs posted:

Lol at the thought of Hillary cooling ties with Israel

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
So, a rocket fell in an open field near an Israeli town, and now Israel is bombing Hamas targets. An interesting quote from that report, though:

---

The head of the Eshkol Regional Council (the US equivalent would be the head of a county legislature, in this case one bordering on Gaza --- AA) Haim Yellin warned residents that a diplomatic approach must be taken to restore quiet in southern Israel in a remark after the code red alert this morning, "Whoever thinks that a strong IDF response is the solution for quiet in the Gaza border communities does not understand that wars are decided by politicians, who with courage can bring peace and security. After Operation Protective Edge, the country had an opportunity to establish a long-term arrangement. Instead of this, we found ourselves with a ticking clock until the next escalation and war."

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Absurd Alhazred posted:

So, a rocket fell in an open field near an Israeli town, and now Israel is bombing Hamas targets. An interesting quote from that report, though:

---

The head of the Eshkol Regional Council (the US equivalent would be the head of a county legislature, in this case one bordering on Gaza --- AA) Haim Yellin warned residents that a diplomatic approach must be taken to restore quiet in southern Israel in a remark after the code red alert this morning, "Whoever thinks that a strong IDF response is the solution for quiet in the Gaza border communities does not understand that wars are decided by politicians, who with courage can bring peace and security. After Operation Protective Edge, the country had an opportunity to establish a long-term arrangement. Instead of this, we found ourselves with a ticking clock until the next escalation and war."

I could see Israeli policy provoking a Hamas/ISIS civil war in Gaza. I think that'd be a win for Israel; force the hardliners in Hamas deal with the even more militant youth.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

My Imaginary GF posted:

I could see Israeli policy provoking a Hamas/ISIS civil war in Gaza. I think that'd be a win for Israel; force the hardliners in Hamas deal with the even more militant youth.

So you're willing to nuke them in Syria, but are behind aiding and abetting them in Gaza? Good to see you're consistent. :rolleyes:

Seriously, you do realize that Hamas's rise owes at least some of its success to exactly this kind of thinking re: Fatah, right? This is a terrible idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
For anyone who understands French, french-canadian dude-who-makes-fun-of-the-news Jean-René "Infoman" Dufort just did a Israel/Palestine special. Among other things, he puts his own graffiti on the security wall.

Part 1.
Part 2.

• Locked thread