Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PiedPiper
Jan 1, 2014

I am one of the guys who was against portraying Korra as gay, bi, bi-curious or whatever, mostly because I felt that it would do a disservice to both the character and representation of LGBT in media. Surprisingly, it was made so tactfully and tastefully that I have absolutely no objections. Glad I didn't toxx, too.

Also, gently caress Makorra.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

All of this has happened before, and all of it will happen again.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

this allusion meant posted:

Wu stated his intent was to dismantle and balkanize the Earth Nation into squabbling and easily corruptible republics. Presumably this suits the desires of the major powers, who have grown used to getting their ores, and now have a chance to get it for cheap. The perfect (and original) beachhead for Fire Nation invasion remains under the control of hostile forces. The tribal vassals of the Avatar have full encirclement and full penetration through oceans and waterways. The cult of the monastic ascetics crosses our territory without hindrance, regulation, or accountability. This is the end for the Earth Nation people; we will be slaves of the foreigners for generations. They will grind us into dust and bleed us dry for iron. And they will trumpet our purported villainy to silence our screams.

Of course, the next avatar will be born into the Earth Nation. Let the masses shake the earth, and let the mighty tremble.

Not sure if corrected but Wu said "Like the United Republic", so I'm pretty sure it'll be like the United States in that each State while sovereign, elects representatives and they all by simple majority select a Prime Minister/President.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
This thread should be nuked from orbit.

Chuf
Jun 28, 2011

I had that weird dream again.
Looking back at all the hand holds, hugs and blushes I guess the series did kind of build to this but I never really expected it to happen. I am so loving happy.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

NutritiousSnack posted:

Nauro x Hinata

They finally made that A Thing, huh? I stopped following the franchise 7 years ago, but that still warms my heart.

As far as using the avatar state to wreak the mech, I don't think Korra could've done any more to it from the outside than what they showed her doing while maintaining control (e.g., Freezing it temporarily, distracting by hucking giant slabs of street, knocking it over with gale winds, etc.).

They've pretty much made platinum the iron of the pre-Toph avatar universe. So, I guess it comes down to, could the avatar state produce a flame hot enough and focused enough to match a plasma welding torch?

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy
Please change thread title to "Legend of Korra Finale: I'm afraid there are no more things to do"

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
Tumblr is on the case:

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
I'm only like half way through the last episode but so far I have to say Kuvira is an idiot, which is disappointing because I liked the character. She should have just kept the suit outside the city and hit it with repeat laser blasts until they completely surrendered.

Prince Wu however. :hellyeah: Complete 180.

Sephiroth_IRA fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Dec 20, 2014

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
You know, I've always hated Asami's makeup. She wears way too much makeup, and it looks ugly. :(

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

I'm only like half way through the last episode but so far I have to say Kuvira is an idiot, which is disappointing because I liked the character. She should have just kept the suit outside the city and hit it with repeat laser blasts until they completely surrendered.

Prince Wu however. :hellyeah: Complete 180.

Yeah I don't understand that either. What's more confusing is why she didn't have a force of mobile benders guarding the giant or why noone came to her aid the entire time she was being attacked. I know the guys in the suits got knocked out by the blast but that doesn't explain why there wasn't anyone outside of a suit helping her.

Asuron fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Dec 20, 2014

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010

Asuron posted:

Yeah I don't understand that either. What's more confusing is why she didn't have a force of mobile benders guarding the giant or why noone came to her aid the entire time she was being attacked. I know the guys in the suits got knocked out by the blast but that doesn't explain why there wasn't anyone outside of a suit helping her.

Yeah, I was thinking that as well when I got to that point. Even just a handful of earth/metal benders could have protected her from close range attacks.

Anyway, it was an OK ending for an OK show I guess. :shrug: I rarely loved it but I never hated it.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

DrSunshine posted:

You know, I've always hated Asami's makeup. She wears way too much makeup, and it looks ugly. :(

She's a drawing.

Jesto
Dec 22, 2004

Balls.
It's possible to draw something that wears too much makeup. There's no problem with disliking an aspect of a character design and critiquing the character designers.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
Judge not the make-up choices of Kung-Fu engineers, lest they build a hummingbird mech to wreck your poo poo.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

PriorMarcus posted:

She's a drawing.

You know, I've always hated the way Asami's drawn as a character that wears too much makeup. I think it looks ugly.

Better? ;)

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.

Remember when this was what passed for evidence for Korrasami?

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Rosalind posted:

Remember when this was what passed for evidence for Korrasami?

Well, they did have a completely nonsensical argument that no sane human couple would ever have, just like with Mako :v:

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.

Pomp posted:

Well, they did have a completely nonsensical argument that no sane human couple would ever have, just like with Mako :v:

I like to think that Mako figured it out even before they did. He is a detective after all. His last conversation with Korra was really him saying, "I know you like Asami. I'm going to be a good ally and support you."

Edit: new thread title should be: Legend of Korrasami: This is (Not) Tumblr

Rosalind fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Dec 20, 2014

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Rosalind posted:

I like to think that Mako figured it out even before they did. He is a detective after all. His last conversation with Korra was really him saying, "I know you like Asami. I'm going to be a good ally and support you."
It was pretty much "I know things have been weird in the past between us. But I'm done, I'm not going to go after you in that way. I still care about you though, and I'll always be here for you when you need my help."

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Chaltab posted:

She definitely used it, but only judiciously and briefly. It's part of her ongoing character development that she's not just switching on her phenomenal cosmic power indiscriminately.

It seemed like even in full Avatar state that Korra would've had a tough time beating the Colossus and also ran the risk of getting spirit gun'd to death while in the Avatar State (which given last seaons's events, is definitely a concern)..although now I'm wondering what would've stopped her from sitting on the things head, breaking the glass, and airbending Kuvira out of the control panel. Lack of time or possibility of getting squished, I guess?

I thought it was good character development to have her use it for a power boost when needed but mostly rely on the teamwork and coordination with other benders. That's not something Korra of S1 or S2 would've done. It also kept the fights interesting and tense so...I have no complaints.

X_Toad
Apr 2, 2011

Rap Record Hoarder posted:

I thought it was good character development to have her use it for a power boost when needed but mostly rely on the teamwork and coordination with other benders. That's not something Korra of S1 or S2 would've done. It also kept the fights interesting and tense so...I have no complaints.
I don't understand this. She's always used the Avatar State that way, even in Book 2 : she switched it on to break the blockade, to try to purify the giant spirit which attacked her, to destroy Unalaq's spirit army in one strike, to throw Unalaq out of the Spirit World, etc. Always in short bursts of incredible power. This was the clearest reminder that she had much more control over it than Aang.

Classtoise
Feb 11, 2008

THINKS CON-AIR WAS A GOOD MOVIE

X_Toad posted:

I don't understand this. She's always used the Avatar State that way, even in Book 2 : she switched it on to break the blockade, to try to purify the giant spirit which attacked her, to destroy Unalaq's spirit army in one strike, to throw Unalaq out of the Spirit World, etc. Always in short bursts of incredible power. This was the clearest reminder that she had much more control over it than Aang.

She was also entering the Avatar State by her own free will, not when she was in serious danger.

Aang only ever entered it because it was that or get his poo poo pushed in.
Korra enters the Avatar state willingly, meaning there's no spirit in her lineage going "poo poo, we're about to die" and taking the reins (i.e Kiyoshi)

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!
If there's another Avatar series, does this mean the next Avatar is only going to have Korra as a guide? She never did get her connection to her past lives back.

Honestly, I think that's okay. This show wasn't about the status quo so much as it was making due with permanent ramifications. After the final season, I think that new earth bender Avatar will do just fine with only Korra's advice. :unsmith:

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

I really liked the finale. You could tell that the victory was a team effort, because it was really hard to tell who did the most to save the day.

I got Korra laserbending, Mako lightningbending instead of lovely-characterbending, Bolin's lava shuriken thing, Asami doing something, Varrick and Zhu Li Moon doing the thing... just all of it great.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Dexo posted:

In the end, you realize you were just like me tryin' to make history.

Speaking of Metal Gear, I wished they went with another mech design. Something like Rex*, that thing from MGS3 I can't spell, or Excelsus. These designs get rid of the whole silly tripping problem.

*Never open cockpit, just blindfire.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know

seravid posted:

The only true ship navigating the Avatar sea is the USS Korrami.

How right you were, past me. How right indeed.

I'm glad the show ended up on a high note. The last two seasons (one long season with an hiatus?) have been quite good and, as the credits rolled, I wished I could spend more time with these characters. That's not something I thought I'd say considering the first two seasons.
I'm curious to see how it holds up on a rewatch: does the first half bring down the second? Does knowing how it ends improves or at least makes the first half easier to watch? I look forward to finding out.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
There are many things in this world I'd rather do before I die than rewatch Season 2 (or Pro Bending for that matter) again.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

I really like how the final battle took place inside of Kuviras (robots) head but peace only happened after Korra managed to get Kuvira out of there and into her (spirit) world. A very nice visual and audio depiction of a concept that they've struggled to show otherwise.

Overall I'm happy with how Korra turned out despite a very poor start.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know

Eej posted:

There are many things in this world I'd rather do before I die than rewatch Season 2 (or Pro Bending for that matter) again.

Thanks for reminding me of pro loving bending. Still, I figure blasting through the season should make it more palatable.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
S1 is pretty decent for a binge, glad they had so many cameos in S3 and S4.

Haven't tried S2 yet but I'm sure it's not as horrible without the wait.

Jackard fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Dec 20, 2014

Chakram
Jun 3, 2010

by Shine
Wait, what's wrong with pro-bending? I thought it was a neat world-building sport that let us see new and evolved bending styles.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

:unsmith:

Stumpus
Dec 25, 2009
Good ending I guess.

BTW, Korra is a lesbian.

Seriously that's how it felt to me.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Chakram posted:

Wait, what's wrong with pro-bending? I thought it was a neat world-building sport that let us see new and evolved bending styles.

I think the prevailing complaint about it in past threads was that there was just too much of it in season 1, at the expense of a potentially more involved/in-depth Equalist storyline. The fact that it was a shortened season compared to AtLA didn't help, either.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

PhazonLink posted:

Speaking of Metal Gear, I wished they went with another mech design. Something like Rex*, that thing from MGS3 I can't spell, or Excelsus. These designs get rid of the whole silly tripping problem.

*Never open cockpit, just blindfire.

The Colossus didn't really fall over until an entire building was dropped on it though so I don't think tipping was a problem

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich

People are free to interpret it as friendship.

But they are probably wrong.

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011
Korra bi, get used to it

icantfindaname posted:

Yes, it lost money, which got made up by otaku stuff. The animators made it because they have good taste and are artists, but don't get to make whatever they want all the time because good art doesn't sell and never has

Actually it was one in what's going to be a series of experiments in appealing to the Western anime market, hence the simulcast and the fact the director said they were planning on doing more with Toonami. They never expected to do well in Japan and hope to recoup their losses in America, they might even make a movie.

NutritiousSnack fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Dec 20, 2014

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Xelkelvos posted:

The Colossus didn't really fall over until an entire building was dropped on it though so I don't think tipping was a problem

Ad then it just got back up again. Through the building.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hauldren Collider
Dec 31, 2012
I just realized something about the finale. When Hiroshi is cutting into her leg and Kuvira swats him like, well, a mosquito--why didn't she just leave her hand there? Cover the hole? Like, duh.

• Locked thread