Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Gangringo posted:

For no reason in particular I was reminded of these awesome re-edits of a couple pivotal scenes that bookend each other really well. They're sort of rough, but they show how great it could have been.

Season 3 finale end

Korra removes the last of the metal

Service and Sacrifice kills me every time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Anime Fan Here
Sep 8, 2010

by XyloJW

pentyne posted:

Only "Western" shows I can think of that are pretty good

Ok, well, if you look at your list here, and then you look at my anime list, and then your list doesn't have bugs bunny cartoons or king of the hill or beavis and butthead on it, someone could think that actually anime is really good and western animation is really bad. Someone could think that, hell, even knowing all the facts.

I was wrong you did have batman beyond

Big Anime Fan Here fucked around with this message at 08:10 on Dec 22, 2014

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

pentyne posted:

Only "Western" shows I can think of that are pretty good

Simpsons
Aeon Flux
Archer
Batman TAS
Batman Beyond
The Boondocks
The Critic
Gargoyles
Adventure Time
Gravity Falls
Justice League/Unlimited
Clone Wars cartoon
Morel Orel
Pirates of Dark Water
ExoSquad
South Park
Spiderman 90s series
Venture Bros

It pretty much breaks down into shows based on another popular IP, shows created to sell toys that actually beat the average and were good, and dark/mature/more "mature" stuff that gets aired in primetime/late night. Since Western cartoons are almost 100% targeted at the 7-13 crowd and geared up for toy sales and other accessories there was never much of a drive to make western cartoons appeal to an older audience. What happened with MLP is a insane exception to the rule and will unfortunately be how most people remember the American cartoon genre for years.

How the gently caress does this list include the 90's spiderman and completely ignore Spectacular Spider-man?

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Big Anime Fan Here posted:

Ok, well, if you look at your list here, and then you look at my anime list, and then your list doesn't have or bugs bunny cartoons or king of the hill or beavis and butthead on it, someone could think that actually anime is really good and western animation is really bad. Someone could think that, hell, even knowing all the facts.

I was wrong you did have batman beyond

Yeah, I didn't put any of the classic Loony Toons or Disney stuff because they're so famous it goes way beyond any other regular cartoon.

I just went down the TVTropes page listing Western Animation and listed the ones I recognized and knew were a "big deal" or just my personal favorites.

It's just a half-assed attempt to list a few shows much better then Korra to repudiate anyone trying to hold it up as some paragon of creatively and art. Western Animation has a lot of great shows, but Korra will not be listed as one of them.

Big Anime Fan Here
Sep 8, 2010

by XyloJW
Can we move this thread to the anime forum now so I can vote it for Top 5 Best Anime of 2014 BARELY edging out the gambling pedophile anime that had to get its thread closed

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Can we move this thread to the anime forum now so I can vote it for Top 5 Best Anime of 2014 BARELY edging out the gambling pedophile anime that had to get its thread closed

What are the other 4

Big Anime Fan Here
Sep 8, 2010

by XyloJW
Jojo's, Ping Pong, Yowamushi Pedal, Space Dandy

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Jojo's, Ping Pong, Yowamushi Pedal, Space Dandy

Go watch Parasyte

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

What was that gambling pedo anime? I remember a anime thread getting gassed because goons were aggressively defending a pre-teen girl with huge tits who was obsessed with her brother as "innocent and harmless" but I know nothing else about the actual anime.

Big Anime Fan Here
Sep 8, 2010

by XyloJW
You know I just didn't feel it that much after 3 episodes like 1. WHat is he just going to encounter progressively harder Resident Evil enemies? 2. I can record the Aya Hirano soundclips and then play them while I look at a hot anime babe instead. 3. It was really okay but I got so much anime to watch you know... it got its 3 epis.

Big Anime Fan Here
Sep 8, 2010

by XyloJW

pentyne posted:

What was that gambling pedo anime? I remember a anime thread getting gassed because goons were aggressively defending a pre-teen girl with huge tits who was obsessed with her brother as "innocent and harmless" but I know nothing else about the actual anime.

It was called No Game No Life and basically the formula was that every week they would do some kind of Kaiji style gambling cheat or logic puzzle scenario and you would see his naked little sisters who was like 11 or something even on the show literally 11 getting a sexy bubblebath with big titty anime angels and catgirls and stuff.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

You know I just didn't feel it that much after 3 episodes like 1. WHat is he just going to encounter progressively harder Resident Evil enemies? 2. I can record the Aya Hirano soundclips and then play them while I look at a hot anime babe instead. 3. It was really okay but I got so much anime to watch you know... it got its 3 epis.

Not quite, actually the fights get fewer and fewer as it goes on and the main character (big spoiler for episode 5) gets stabbed through the heart by his own mom 2 episodes from where you were and left for dead.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

It was called No Game No Life and basically the formula was that every week they would do some kind of Kaiji style gambling cheat or logic puzzle scenario and you would see his naked little sisters who was like 11 or something even on the show literally 11 getting a sexy bubblebath with big titty anime angels and catgirls and stuff.

Every single anime season without fail people will latch onto a new "creepy as gently caress" show and until Zorak loses his mind and starts banning people it gets reaaaaaaal weird.

Big Anime Fan Here
Sep 8, 2010

by XyloJW
That sucks if you had told me he was going to fight like big rear end boss enemies like Resident Evil 4 I would have been all over it. That reminds me that the Devil May Cry anime is pretty sick

Big Anime Fan Here
Sep 8, 2010

by XyloJW

pentyne posted:

Every single anime season without fail people will latch onto a new "creepy as gently caress" show and until Zorak loses his mind and starts banning people it gets reaaaaaaal weird.

Oh they have one now. The plot is that in the future, most people can make a green see through pyramid out of light with their mind. If you can't do that, that's against the law, and you get sent to a sexy ladies prison which is also a shopping mall where you have to ride speederbikes and fight dragons to repent for not being able to make the green pyramid. The hook is that in sexy ladies dragon prison they're always violently raping each other all the time and the main character is a princess so she does NOT like for that to happen to her. I didn't get to the second episode because even with all the lesbian prison rape the show was really boring.

I think the thread is safe though because the show is actually really bad whereas the pedophile gambling anime was cool

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

TheKingofSprings posted:

How the gently caress does this list include the 90's spiderman and completely ignore Spectacular Spider-man?

He doesn't list Futurama either soooo yeah

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

pentyne posted:

Nerds don't seem to understand that ironically hatewatching gross poo poo isn't actually all that much better than seriously watching gross poo poo, because you still watched gross poo poo at the end of the day, and then bragged about it to other people online.

icantfindaname fucked around with this message at 09:07 on Dec 22, 2014

Vira
Mar 6, 2007

Spergatory posted:

Man, Kuvira fighting with the shapeshifting semi-liquid space metal was :black101: as hell. If there is ever a one-on-one Korra fighting game, those little floating balls would definitely be her main weapon/fighting style.

I was annoyed with Kuvira wrapping Korra's torso in metal and dragging her across the roof. It would have been less work to curve that metal in and cut her in two.

Series ruined at that moment.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
As has been discussed a lot already the show was really uneven, and to be honest when found out last episodes was going to be the main villain in a giant mech suit stomping around a city my expectations for the end weren't high, but it really was surprisingly good. Plenty of time was spent with different characters, interesting bending, great animation. Wasn't to keen on the final conversation between Kuvira and Korra. Like Avatar, I though the ending made excellent thematic sense but the execution I just felt was off, mostly due to the dialogue which sound really rushed, but yeah time limitations I guess.

Overall though it just seemed to really comfortably end the series, and I think it has probably left me with a far more positive view of the series as whole then I did before it aired. As I said like many I found the series to be entertaining and sometime legitimately great but usually a bit flawed, but the final really did seem to pull it all together into something better then the sum of its parts, and It was really nice that they had Korra end up with someone she actually had some chemistry with, then go exploring the spirit world with them. I do need happy endings, but as a lot of this season was about her recovering physically and emotionally from mass trauma, I think not giving her a happy ending (with a well deserved holiday) would of been a bit bloody bleak.

Despite its flaws the show really did have a lot of good qualities. Technically of course it was great. The art, animation (when they had the good animators) and music were all brilliant, and they all add a lot. The voice acting was normally great and there were some really well written characters as well. Lins character, (apart from whatever the hell happened to her in season two) I think was probably the best written, and her relationship with her sister was brilliantly done. They show also did seem to know what its flaws were and try to correct them which lead to season three and four being quite a bit better then the first two. I'm still surprised they managed to make Mako into a somewhat interesting character in the last two seasons but they did.

Would be nice if Konietzko and DiMartino revisit the avatar world in a few years if they feel like it, but if they don't this really was a fine point to leave it at.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

dr_rat posted:

Wasn't to keen on the final conversation between Kuvira and Korra. Like Avatar, I though the ending made excellent thematic sense but the execution I just felt was off, mostly due to the dialogue which sound really rushed, but yeah time limitations I guess.

I think it was a case where it'd have been better to show, not tell. I mean, was there even any hint that Kuvira was an orphan before that conversation? It really would have been nice to get a clearer view of her motives, maybe by showing the beginning of their movement. But since there was essentially one episode less than originally planned this season...

Also: I liked that Kuvira's reaction on waking up was to scramble away from Korra in a panic, after a whole season of being an unstoppable badass.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Kassad posted:

I think it was a case where it'd have been better to show, not tell. I mean, was there even any hint that Kuvira was an orphan before that conversation?

I think Suyin might of mentioned it in passing, but yeah if we had, had a bit more of an insight in to Kuvira's motives before hand it probably would of worked a lot better. It does seem the writers actually had the character worked out, but didn;t get time to show, so had to in the end just resort to tell, which is never ideal.

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

:justpost:

It was mentioned earlier in the season that she was orphaned and Suyin took her in. I think it might have even been mentioned in season 3 in passing. I do think they could have done more to establish her character in that respect in season 3.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
What would you sacrifice in season 3 in order to develop Kuvira though? Time is pretty tight.

Really each season needed a minimum of three additional episodes. Or writers that were much better at working in such a limited run time. But we had what we had.

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

I didn't like your old red text so here's some dancing cash. :10bux:

Reene posted:

It was mentioned earlier in the season that she was orphaned and Suyin took her in. I think it might have even been mentioned in season 3 in passing. I do think they could have done more to establish her character in that respect in season 3.

Yeah we needed a Kuvira episode. I mean her parents said gently caress it we don't want her anymore and gave her to Suyin that's some big stuff plus despite Su taking her in that young she still is like oddly distant from Kuvira there's definitely some gold in there. Correct me if I'm wrong but the murder-suicide thing was the deal breaker in getting them moved to the friday night death slot right?

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
After some apprehension after watching Last Airbender, I didn't think Korra would be all that good. I just finished book one and I'm incredibly impressed. I think the biggest improvement was them getting the tone right. Airbender's biggest problem for me was the really lopsided comic relief to plot development ratio. Some parts in Korra still feel kinda weird, like the fartbending, but it looks like they know how to keep everything appropriate to the scenes. Magically fixing the reversal of bending-removal in a whole episode felt sort of rushed though. I expected that to be fixed sooner or later, but I felt like they were trying to tie all loose ends real quick just because it was a finale. At any rate, worth staying up late into the early morning for.

e: Also I noticed every time someone got hijacked from their biplane or something, there would always be a followup scene to show they safely activated their parachute. In one scene they had it quietly in the background while there was other action in the foreground. I really wonder what Nick's protocol is about that sorta stuff. Nick being a kids channel, I figure they can't imply death so it doesn't surprise me. But I'm curious what things are and aren't okay by Nick and how the writers had to work through it, as Korra already seems pretty dark to be on that channel.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

The Sharmat posted:

What would you sacrifice in season 3 in order to develop Kuvira though? Time is pretty tight.

I assume they'd have spent more time on Kuvira's backstory in this season if they didn't have to do that clip show episode. But more episodes would have been good anyway, yeah. Still, the pacing's been pretty good considering there was effectively one less episode this season, come to think of it.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

Avocados posted:

After some apprehension after watching Last Airbender, I didn't think Korra would be all that good. I just finished book one and I'm incredibly impressed. I think the biggest improvement was them getting the tone right. Airbender's biggest problem for me was the really lopsided comic relief to plot development ratio. Some parts in Korra still feel kinda weird, like the fartbending, but it looks like they know how to keep everything appropriate to the scenes. Magically fixing the reversal of bending-removal in a whole episode felt sort of rushed though. I expected that to be fixed sooner or later, but I felt like they were trying to tie all loose ends real quick just because it was a finale.
During most of Book 1's production they thought the first season would be standalone with no continuation, so they just wrapped everything up in the end.

Avocados posted:

e: Also I noticed every time someone got hijacked from their biplane or something, there would always be a followup scene to show they safely activated their parachute. In one scene they had it quietly in the background while there was other action in the foreground. I really wonder what Nick's protocol is about that sorta stuff. Nick being a kids channel, I figure they can't imply death so it doesn't surprise me. But I'm curious what things are and aren't okay by Nick and how the writers had to work through it, as Korra already seems pretty dark to be on that channel.
They uh...kinda get over that.

Kassad posted:

I assume they'd have spent more time on Kuvira's backstory in this season if they didn't have to do that clip show episode. But more episodes would have been good anyway, yeah. Still, the pacing's been pretty good considering there was effectively one less episode this season, come to think of it.
Yeah the stuff I would have liked to see out of the episode that never was would be: The stuff in the first half of the next episode with Korra unable to enter the Spirit World (so there's more time for the Zaheer confrontation in the next ep), a bit more of Korra and Asami together, and some solid Kuvira backstory. Dunno how well that fits into 22 minutes though. I don't write TV.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Okay that was pretty drat brutal. :stare:

Andrew_1985
Sep 18, 2007
Hay hay hay!
All of the music in Korra is just beautiful. Especially the quieter moments. I have no musical expertise, do they use a mandolin quite heavily in the closing credits?

Surely there's a tumblr dedicated to all the music of Korra we can get copies from right? That is, since there's no soundtrack available to buy anywhere. Any ideas, goons?

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

Andrew_1985 posted:

Surely there's a tumblr dedicated to all the music of Korra we can get copies from right? That is, since there's no soundtrack available to buy anywhere. Any ideas, goons?

The best you're going to get is Jeremy Zuckerman's soundcloud, I think. It is far from complete but still has some very nice bits. You can find other Korra tracks floating around but I haven't found anything resembling complete for Books 2-4.

Ashtarath
Oct 11, 2012

Finally got around to finishing this last season, I am so glad I did. I really couldn't have asked for more than what we got with such an absolutely fantastic way to end the series. Now I'm just sad that there wont be any more.
Also korrasami being cannon is something I am so totally down for.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Aces High posted:

He doesn't list Futurama either soooo yeah

And no one has mentioned Samurai Jack or Animaniacs. loving troglodytes.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

achillesforever6 posted:

Yeah both are great too, Toonami just finished up showing Hellsing Ultimate and it was glorious
Rewatching Hellsing Ultimate was painful; too slow paced, even the action could be plodding, and so many stills

Gaussian
Sep 20, 2001

I'll give you a box of chocolates if you kill me.

Nap Ghost
So I was going back through some of the highlights of the series and of course came to Beginnings I and II from season 2. In it they did the same thing as in the season 4 finale where Korra talked to herself (and her past lives) in a 50/50 split screen of blue and pink. Does anyone remember if this was the first instance of this kind of thing? I don't really want to go through all of season 1 again. The thematic similarities between these two scenes is interesting and very much intentional though.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Andrew_1985 posted:

All of the music in Korra is just beautiful. Especially the quieter moments. I have no musical expertise, do they use a mandolin quite heavily in the closing credits?

I don't hear a mandolin in there , but the lead instrument is called an erhu.

Sato
Apr 28, 2013

Gaussian posted:

So I was going back through some of the highlights of the series and of course came to Beginnings I and II from season 2. In it they did the same thing as in the season 4 finale where Korra talked to herself (and her past lives) in a 50/50 split screen of blue and pink. Does anyone remember if this was the first instance of this kind of thing? I don't really want to go through all of season 1 again. The thematic similarities between these two scenes is interesting and very much intentional though.

I believe so. It was a really lovely effect. I remember thinking when I saw it in the finale that Korra was about to get her past lives back but I'm happy with the direction they went, and the music that went with it second time around was killer.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Zedd posted:

Okay that was pretty drat brutal. :stare:

Yeah, it helps remind you just how many traumas Korra went through within just those three seasons. With Aang, the major trauma he had to deal with was something that had already happened in the past (the genocide of his people) that he had to come to terms with. Nothing completely and utterly devastating really happened to him until the end of Book 2, when Azula almost killed the Avatar forever. Korra meanwhile experienced tragedy after tragedy, and I'd highly recommend going back and watching the entire series, because coming of fresh from the first three seasons gives a lot of perspective as to why Korra is so shattered at the end of S3 / beginning of S4.

The fact that Korra overcame those tragedies, and in turn spared Kuvira because she recognized that had she not she probably would have turned out the same way, really sells this finale for me. I wish we'd gotten some time to flesh out Kuvira a little more before the reveal of her motives, but I'm willing to let it slide because Korra's choice to save her is an incredible culmination of all the experiences and growth she's had since the series began.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
The power of Aang sparing Ozai comes from him overcoming the righteous fury of all the past Avatars, and arguably the planet itself, through the strength of his own ideals.

The power of Korra sparing Kuvira comes from her demonstrating, once and for all, that she has truly grown as a person and as an Avatar, after having been through so much trauma.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
I still think we should've gotten at least one scene of Korra like this:

You know, just so we could have all our EVA bases covered.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Sydin posted:

I wish we'd gotten some time to flesh out Kuvira a little more before the reveal of her motives, but I'm willing to let it slide because Korra's choice to save her is an incredible culmination of all the experiences and growth she's had since the series began.

http://sleepysenshi.tumblr.com/post/104619325512/she-has-to-take-care-of-herself-now

Jackard fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Dec 22, 2014

• Locked thread