Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Deep Winter
Mar 26, 2010

PitViper posted:

$45/month x 24 months is almost $1100. He could afford to buy a brand new phone every 2 years, and replace it once with a used one after a year with those savings.

I understand this train of thought, but it just doesn't hold up to reality. Yes, if he put aside $45 a month for 2 years he'd have money to spend on a new phone and a half. But no-one does that. We spend that on other luxuries like fancy meals. This way, he has to come up with the $650 all at once for a new phone when he's ready. Which might not be a big deal for him. But it's food for thought.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

First cousin to the Black Rabbit himself. Such was Woundwort's monument...and perhaps it would not have displeased him.<

this sweet move posted:

At this point probably call them again. They just released a new 800 number although it should route to the same place: 877-247-3846 or 877-835-2024 .
Thanks, I'll give them a call. They just replied again asking for my information (email, phone number, IMEI number, submission ID) when all of that info is in the same loving email they're replying from, just a few lines down. Like, they're replying asking for that info, when 15 lines down in the email is the goddamned info. It'd be funny if it wasn't, you know, actual money. Anyway, thanks, I'll check out that number tomorrow.

Edit: Well that didn't take long, I already got a reply. "I will be sending these materials again. They should be with you in within 5 business days. Sorry for the wait." Still, I'll call tomorrow or Monday and see if they can confirm it's being sent.

jackpot fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Dec 20, 2014

GUYS STOP
Jun 7, 2003
Grimey Drawer

jackpot posted:

Thanks, I'll give them a call. They just replied again asking for my information (email, phone number, IMEI number, submission ID) when all of that info is in the same loving email they're replying from, just a few lines down. Like, they're replying asking for that info, when 15 lines down in the email is the goddamned info. It'd be funny if it wasn't, you know, actual money. Anyway, thanks, I'll check out that number tomorrow.

The reason for the redundancy is we are assuming some sort of basic poo poo was missed in previous interactions. Please understand the response template for these emails is designed for the broadest possible audience which includes WWII veterans.

Bio-Hazard
Mar 8, 2004
I HATE POLITICS IN SOCCER AS MUCH AS I LOVE RACISM IN SOCCER
To be honest, getting out of any contracts and paying as little as possible were my two biggest concerns going into this transaction. Thanks for letting me know what I got myself into!

Favorabilis Solitud
May 18, 2006
And that's the way it was.

Deep Winter posted:

I understand this train of thought, but it just doesn't hold up to reality. Yes, if he put aside $45 a month for 2 years he'd have money to spend on a new phone and a half. But no-one does that. We spend that on other luxuries like fancy meals. This way, he has to come up with the $650 all at once for a new phone when he's ready. Which might not be a big deal for him. But it's food for thought.

Pretty much this. "I want a loving 10 dollar credit because I am an idiot!" "Well you do qualify for 10 dollars off a month for a year for a total of 120 in savings?" "Does that apply retroactively?" "No" "gently caress YOU YOU PIECE OF poo poo I WANT A CREDIT." "Anything else I can help resolve?"

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

If I move to Verizon and pay cash for smartphones, do I get the discounted line access rates?

AT&T allows this even though I'm not using AT&T Next, but Verizon doesn't seem to. Is this correct?

Deep Winter
Mar 26, 2010

theadder posted:

If I move to Verizon and pay cash for smartphones, do I get the discounted line access rates?

AT&T allows this even though I'm not using AT&T Next, but Verizon doesn't seem to. Is this correct?

If you start new lines of service without being on contract or on the Edge plan (Verizon's version of Next), meaning you bring your own phone or buy them outright, you would be on a month-to-month line. You could then get the month-to-month discount, which is $15 on 8gbs of data or below on your plan, or $25 on 10gb or above. The discount is per smartphone line, not account based.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

PitViper posted:

$45/month x 24 months is almost $1100. He could afford to buy a brand new phone every 2 years, and replace it once with a used one after a year with those savings.

Edit: FWIW, I've been with Verizon for 14 years, never had device insurance, and only broken one phone that was still in contract (Galaxy Nexus, and good riddance to that POS). I feel like device insurance is overrated, since I replaced the phone for around $175 for a used Razr Maxx HD. Fair point on the Verizon warranty, though.

Generally insurance is only good if you can't afford to buy a new phone outright if something happens to yours. Overall it likely costs you far more than you get.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

So I just bought a droid turbo. Does anyone have any good recommendations for a screen protector for it? Should I even bother to get one?

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
I use the flexible glass one from the Verizon store and it works exactly as intended

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
My wife's currently on Sprint and lost her iphone. It's going to cost more for the deductible to replace the stupid thing than the phone is worth, and I'm trying to convince her to join my family's Verizon plan. I see there's a $150 credit for porting over a line - would this be available to her even if she were to join an already existing plan?

GUYS STOP
Jun 7, 2003
Grimey Drawer

mastershakeman posted:

My wife's currently on Sprint and lost her iphone. It's going to cost more for the deductible to replace the stupid thing than the phone is worth, and I'm trying to convince her to join my family's Verizon plan. I see there's a $150 credit for porting over a line - would this be available to her even if she were to join an already existing plan?

Yep.

quote:

For a limited time, get a $150 bill credit for each port in to VZW when activated on a smartphone with Verizon Edge or a 2-year contract.
The $150 bill credit applies within 2-3 bill cycles.

Customer must port in between 11/1/14 and the promotion end date (12/31/2014) to receive the bill credit:

Must port in and activate a smartphone on Verizon Edge or a 2-year contract:
  • Includes add-a-line.
  • Smartphone orders placed 11/1/14 and later are eligible.*
*Consumer customers who ordered before the promotion start date and had the device shipped and ported in during the promotional period receive the credit.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

My family is currently on Nationwide Talk & Text Share with unlimited data on my line. They have upgrades available and they have no desire for new phones at the moment. Is it a breach of contract or otherwise uncouth to take one of those upgrades for myself instead? Is it possible to do that without losing unlimited data?

Deep Winter
Mar 26, 2010

Fifty Three posted:

My family is currently on Nationwide Talk & Text Share with unlimited data on my line. They have upgrades available and they have no desire for new phones at the moment. Is it a breach of contract or otherwise uncouth to take one of those upgrades for myself instead? Is it possible to do that without losing unlimited data?

You can take someones upgrade, but you will lose unlimited data. Only way to about that is buy a phone outright or used and do a device change or swap the sim card in.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

So I just bought a droid turbo. Does anyone have any good recommendations for a screen protector for it? Should I even bother to get one?
I've loved the ones I got from Mime USA (one took the brunt of an impact to the screen at work and the other got scratched after coming in contact with a cube of boron I have for some reason.) Friends have had good luck with the ones from Verizon, which I'm pretty sure are made by Asahi Glass. I had an i-blason and it scratched after a few days, the hardness rating was nowhere near what they claimed it was.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.

Knifegrab posted:

Just found out that plan doesn't come with mobile hotspot and unfortunately I need it for work so looks like I am stuck still paying out the rear end for what should be a cheap service.

edit: Wait does this plan eliminate the line access cost?

double edit: Now a different rep is telling me mobile hotspot is included. gently caress THESE loving PEOPLE.

So I went through all of this a while back, and now mobile hotspot is no longer free on my plan. I am contacting chat saying I have chat logs of reps telling me its included but he is stone walling me and telling me its not. I am trying to escalate this but is there any chance I can actually get mobile hot spot on my plan for the price I played since I have chat logs of reps telling me that was the case?

Deep Winter
Mar 26, 2010

Knifegrab posted:

So I went through all of this a while back, and now mobile hotspot is no longer free on my plan. I am contacting chat saying I have chat logs of reps telling me its included but he is stone walling me and telling me its not. I am trying to escalate this but is there any chance I can actually get mobile hot spot on my plan for the price I played since I have chat logs of reps telling me that was the case?

Unfortunately, reps telling you X does not mean X will happen. In the TOS it says as much. Most of the time these kind of problems are simply "the system won't allow it". They design the system this way, which makes it easy to their your hands in the air and say "it isn't me, It's the system"

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.

Deep Winter posted:

Unfortunately, reps telling you X does not mean X will happen. In the TOS it says as much. Most of the time these kind of problems are simply "the system won't allow it". They design the system this way, which makes it easy to their your hands in the air and say "it isn't me, It's the system"

Hmmm so there is nothing I can do? This is lovely, to basically be lied to.

GUYS STOP
Jun 7, 2003
Grimey Drawer

Knifegrab posted:

Hmmm so there is nothing I can do? This is lovely, to basically be lied to.
I assume you're talking about some type of Single Line smartphone plan like $60 for 2 GB. For these the hotspot feature cannot be added at all, even if you wanted to pay extra for it.

Your best bet is to find whatever hotspot app is available. FoxFi and those sorts of things aren't blocked in the app store anymore. I don't know enough about these things currently to recommend one but check around.

jadeddrifter
Feb 18, 2014

Don't know if anyone posted this earlier, but Verizon does offer a military discount to both Active duty and veterans. It use to be 15% but that may have changed.
http://devices.verizonwireless.com/content/vzw-eStore/military-veterans.html

particle9
Nov 14, 2004
In the guide to getting dumped, this guy helped me realize that with time it does get better. And yeah, he did get his custom title.
Got a new iPhone 6 today after giving up on unlimited data. Called Verizon afterwards to make sure my order went in fine and that the 2 gig data was active and they upgraded me to 6 gigs for the same price unprompted. Pretty awesome.

jadeddrifter
Feb 18, 2014

particle9 posted:

Got a new iPhone 6 today after giving up on unlimited data. Called Verizon afterwards to make sure my order went in fine and that the 2 gig data was active and they upgraded me to 6 gigs for the same price unprompted. Pretty awesome.

Awesome they gave you the free data. I have heard some horror stories about version. But My experience has allays been good. Any time I have had a problem they ask me what I want done and they usually give me what I ask for. I have yet to have them offer me free upgrades with out me asking.

Favorabilis Solitud
May 18, 2006

Deep Winter posted:

As opposed to re-engineering the whole system, reprogramming it, while the customer is on the phone so they can get that hotspot going for them. Those loving reps.

particle9 posted:

Those loving reps.

Deep Winter
Mar 26, 2010

Favorabilis Solitud posted:

As opposed to re-engineering the whole system, reprogramming it, while the customer is on the phone so they can get that hotspot going for them. Those loving reps.

An ideal system would have an admin/manager simply add the hotspot feature to the account. Designing it purposely so that X plan can't get Y feature is fine, and of course the reps on the phone aren't to blame, but let's not pretend a system admin didn't tell a code monkey "write it like this"

jadeddrifter
Feb 18, 2014

I am looking forward to them enabling WiFi calling. I don't have any problems with reception here, but when I travel. Especially overseas it will be nice to be able to make and receive calls. Just connect up to wifi and good to go.

particle9
Nov 14, 2004
In the guide to getting dumped, this guy helped me realize that with time it does get better. And yeah, he did get his custom title.
Have been hanging out with my new dig for a day and at the airport realized that they somehow limit mobile hotspot ability. It seems browsing their plans that they allow you to set up a mobile hotspot for the same price data plan minus 1 gig. So say you had 6 gig for 30 you could get 5 gig plus hotspot for 30. That is loving stupid as hell since you pay for the data at the end of the day either way. Not sure if I should call again and see if they will enable it. The times I want to hotspot are basically 5 hours a year when I'm at an airport with my ipad next to me, seems like the dumbest money grab of all time.

CaptainJuan
Oct 15, 2008

Thick. Juicy. Tender.

Imagine cutting into a Barry White Song.
Install FoxFi.

jadeddrifter
Feb 18, 2014

particle9 posted:

Have been hanging out with my new dig for a day and at the airport realized that they somehow limit mobile hotspot ability. It seems browsing their plans that they allow you to set up a mobile hotspot for the same price data plan minus 1 gig. So say you had 6 gig for 30 you could get 5 gig plus hotspot for 30. That is loving stupid as hell since you pay for the data at the end of the day either way. Not sure if I should call again and see if they will enable it. The times I want to hotspot are basically 5 hours a year when I'm at an airport with my ipad next to me, seems like the dumbest money grab of all time.

Interesting. I have not experienced this with the more everything plan.

cuedotcom
Jun 16, 2009

:getout:
Holy poo poo Tampa .. XLTE down here is ripe... 79.05 down / 26.20 up

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

When I'm in SF for work, the AWS LTE makes the difference between "holy crap fast" and "tin cans on strings are better." There's a few spots along the Caltrain route that haven't been upgraded yet, which is pretty annoying.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

cuedotcom posted:

Hell yea.

Aurium
Oct 10, 2010
So I'd like to sell an upgrade (well, get a phone at an upgrade price and sell it), and looking online I'm getting quite a bit of conflicting information about the best way to go about it.

It seems the best phone for resale value is the iphone 6

It seems the best way is to order it online, activate it over the phone (or online) using the imei on the box. Then reactivate my old phone, and sell it?

Do I actually need to activate it at all? Some people say yes, it needs to be to start the upgrade counter ticking again, other people say you can just sell it.

GUYS STOP
Jun 7, 2003
Grimey Drawer

Aurium posted:

So I'd like to sell an upgrade (well, get a phone at an upgrade price and sell it), and looking online I'm getting quite a bit of conflicting information about the best way to go about it.

It seems the best phone for resale value is the iphone 6

It seems the best way is to order it online, activate it over the phone (or online) using the imei on the box. Then reactivate my old phone, and sell it?

Do I actually need to activate it at all? Some people say yes, it needs to be to start the upgrade counter ticking again, other people say you can just sell it.
When you order the phone a feature / plan change order will pend in the billing system until you activate it. This can cause holdups if you need to change plans or swap things around in the near future. The pending order will eventually close and drop off but I would recommend activating the phone using the activation number included in the shipment (probably 877-807-4646). You can then go to your My Verizon account and re-activate your existing phone.

This isn't strictly necessary to "start the upgrade counter" which is nonsense. Your upgrade date is set 2 years from when you accept terms and conditions which will happen during your order online. You can't order online without doing this step.

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

Tattoos? On MY black quarterback?

cuedotcom posted:

I love being able to tell my family and friends in north carolina that my phone internet is faster than their cable internet.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Is the Droid Turbo still the best phone to get for Verizon? My wife and I are looking to upgrade and I'm figuring out the best way to move forward. My wife has a 4S and I have Galaxy Nexus (gently caress that POS).

We're currently paying $113.30 (after taxes) for Unlimited Talk, Text, & 2GB of data. I'd like more data because I'll be using Pandora while driving. That includes a 15% discount through my job.

Beer4TheBeerGod fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Jan 2, 2015

jadeddrifter
Feb 18, 2014

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Is the Droid Turbo still the best phone to get for Verizon? My wife and I are looking to upgrade and I'm figuring out the best way to move forward. My wife has a 4S and I have Galaxy Nexus (gently caress that POS).

We're currently paying $113.30 (after taxes) for Unlimited Talk, Text, & 2GB of data. I'd like more data because I'll be using Pandora while driving. That includes a 15% discount through my job.

I have a S5 and love it.

Favorabilis Solitud
May 18, 2006
Droid Turbo is certainly the most powerful android phone right now outside of the phablet note 4.

I have a Turbo, I also had a G3, and before that a Nexus. I can give a nod to the G3 if you get the special case for it.

The Droid Turbo charges very fast, the battery lasts a long time, there is not a phone out there that can run anything better than it can for androids. So you are looking at overkill right now which is another term for future proofing.

It will age 10x better than the nexus did. Working at Verizon I no longer have the "wow" factor from phones but I am sure going from a Nexus to a Turbo is about a big of a leap as one can make within smartphones.

Trisk
Feb 12, 2005

I went from the Galaxy Nexus to the Droid Turbo and it's a massive change. The screen is so much better, the phone is way more responsive, it gets better reception and most importantly, the battery life on the Turbo has to be like, literally, 5 or 6 times longer lasting than my 2.5 year old Nexus. I have yet to have the thing fully discharge.

Deep Winter
Mar 26, 2010
For anyone that cares, websites are posting internal documents saying the Galaxy Note Edge is coming to Verizon on the 8th.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jadeddrifter
Feb 18, 2014

Deep Winter posted:

For anyone that cares, websites are posting internal documents saying the Galaxy Note Edge is coming to Verizon on the 8th.

Thanks for the intel

• Locked thread