Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.

AbusePuppy posted:

It does make the Knights really hard to hurt turn 1, but the VSG can't move so they have to basically stay in their deployment zone to make use of it. And 1200pts to get three pie plates per turn is... not exactly impressive. That makes a Monolith look cheap and efficient by comparison.

As far as the Guardsmen things goes, only MODELS (not units) at least partially within the 12" bubble are protected. No shenanigans there.

It says hits a target. And since you target units not models, (and this isn't a cover save so I don't think that per model rule would apply) I can see the generator work for the whole unit.

I'm being deliberately obtuse right now, but the guy who won Renegade pulled this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tequila Ranger
Sep 11, 2004

host after host after host ...

Master Twig posted:

He then ran a Lynx, which is a super heavy with two strength D large blasts a turn, and also a scatter laser to twin link the D blasts.

Plus, the lynx happened to get a skyfire nexus, so it was deleting a hive tyrant per turn.

I love how both Fliers and FMCS have the "Hard to Hit" rule but for flying vehicles (ie Not Tyranids) its different (ie Better) because you can't use blasts or templates against vehicle fliers but one-shoting Flying Hive Tyrants is cool and cinematic for everyone (ie not the Tyranids) so go hog wild.

Or how a Hive Crone and a Helldrake could go H2H and the baler flamer has no problem hitting the hive crone but the Nid can't hock a logie back at the dragon because it's metal and comes standard with windshield wipers or something.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
show me on the hugifex where the sixth edition codex touched you

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

AbusePuppy posted:

I definitely agree with you on the Rhino squad- it's not really doing anything for you at all. The Chaplain feels a bit overbuilt- I'm not really sure what his actual plan is. Honestly, I'd just leave him more stock-standard and save points for elsewhere. I would try and find room to make a second blob or Marines with Apothecary if at all possible- even "just" fifteen bodies can be a lot. You definitely want Lascannons on those Sicarans; there's really no excuse for Heavy Bolters on a loyalist one. Darkfire is probably an inferior choice on the Castelax (it can't penetrate anything AV12 or higher)- go with Multimelta or Mauler instead. I think overall the list suffers what a lot of 30K lists struggle with, namely finding a coherent theme, but that would require probably rebuilding the army from scratch, so I'd say it's fine as is.

Thanks for the feedback. That additional troops squad is a big albatross around my neck, for sure. I might swap out the Legio Cybernetica allies for Taghmata. That way I could mount them into a cheap as chips AV15 angry tractor, have castellax, and get additional army buffs.

That said, I've run Castellax with darkfires and multimeltas- at BS5 -1 cover, the darkfire is a really strong choice. It has lance, so it can take down armor if needed, but its best for shooting up MCs due to the blind and AP2 (which is who they want to charge anyway).

AbusePuppy
Nov 1, 2012

BEST DAY OF MY LIFE!!!!!! so far.

Naramyth posted:

It says hits a target. And since you target units not models, (and this isn't a cover save so I don't think that per model rule would apply) I can see the generator work for the whole unit.

I'm being deliberately obtuse right now, but the guy who won Renegade pulled this.

Eh. It's arguable, I guess, but that interpretation doesn't really make any sense and I know the west coast tournaments are ruling it the other way. Can't say what you wacky easterners are doing.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Naramyth posted:

Since the shooting is against the unit would he be able to assign the wounds to the models in the protective barrier but would have to remove any failed saves from those models first?

Raphus C
Feb 17, 2011
Have a cross post:

Cybork big-shoota

Burnaboy

Warbiker

I got a poo poo-ton of poo poo done this weekend, I have a bucket full of models that had odd bits left unpainted after I went over them again. Stuff got done and it feels good.

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.

AbusePuppy posted:

Eh. It's arguable, I guess, but that interpretation doesn't really make any sense and I know the west coast tournaments are ruling it the other way. Can't say what you wacky easterners are doing.

MIDWEST THANK YOU VERY MUCH

Although Adepticon and the GTs that feed into it are east coast as gently caress.

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Since the shooting is against the unit would he be able to assign the wounds to the models in the protective barrier but would have to remove any failed saves from those models first?

I like that. Also I don't think it bounces like shrouded from Venomthropes because shrouded falls under the special rule "as long as one model" bit where the KFF or Voidshield say models/targets.

Chiwie
Oct 21, 2010

DROP YOUR COAT AND GRAB YOUR TOES, I'LL SHOW YOU WHERE THE WILD GOOSE GOES!!!!

Hollismason posted:

Please consider a donation to the Blood Angels players here who have fallen on hard times, for only a few normal Tactical Space Marines or a Scout squad, you can get them back to rolling dice and living a full life as a Warham, after you send your donation in you'll get a fuzzy photo shop manipulated dick pic so you'll know that the Warham received your donation. Your donation will stop the tears of sadness.

Could you stop being a totally insufferable sperg that is making GBS threads up the thread.

I can totally see where people are coming from. I had flesh tearers army (themed around really rag tag guys with bp/ccw in rhinos with tons of DC) that is petty much totally illegal now. If I was still playing 40k I would be pretty pissed off.

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

I guess we all learned that trying to get along is way better than p. . .player hatin'.
Fun Shoe

Raphus C posted:

I got a poo poo-ton of poo poo done this weekend, I have a bucket full of models that had odd bits left unpainted after I went over them again. Stuff got done and it feels good.

Your orks look great. One day I'll finish putting the rest of my orks together and figure out how close to a viable small detachment I am.

On the other hand, I had a really productive weekend as well. I built 1 Raider, 5 Scourges, 1 Vraesque Malidrach Archon of the Kabal of the Flayed Skull conversion, 1 Haemonculus, 1 Hekatryx and 4 Wytches.
Added to my 20 kabalite warriors and 1 Ravager.

I've got some Trueborn to stick together, and 5 more wytches (or 4 wytches and a could-be Hekatryx). I also ordered up 2 Venoms, 1 Talos, 1 Razorwing and 1 Voidraven. :getin:

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

MY LIFE GOAL IS TO STICK A FLESHLIGHT INTO THE END OF A HOWITZER AND FUCK THE SHIT OUT OF IT

BULBASAUR posted:

Thanks for the feedback. That additional troops squad is a big albatross around my neck, for sure. I might swap out the Legio Cybernetica allies for Taghmata. That way I could mount them into a cheap as chips AV15 angry tractor, have castellax, and get additional army buffs.

That said, I've run Castellax with darkfires and multimeltas- at BS5 -1 cover, the darkfire is a really strong choice. It has lance, so it can take down armor if needed, but its best for shooting up MCs due to the blind and AP2 (which is who they want to charge anyway).

Only issue with running taghmata is that castellaxes cannot be mandatory troops, but seconding how much rear end darkfires kick, had a triplet blow up Horus's spartan from a side volley :getin:

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you
So wait, not only are Assault squads no longer Troops but BA have no way of taking Tactical squads with bolt pistol & CCW? Bahahahaha :cawg:

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you
GW are garbage.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
Why would you? Losing the ASM Troops was bogus but BP/CCW Tacs are dogshit, especially since BA can take 3 flamers in a Tac Squad now.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

REAL MUSCLE MILK posted:

Why would you? Losing the ASM Troops was bogus but BP/CCW Tacs are dogshit, especially since BA can take 3 flamers in a Tac Squad now.

It's another thing to complain about. Its not like BA players were taking assault squads anyway, they're hurt more by losing death company as troops, but the way people are going on about it you'd think people were rocking up with 6 squads as standard.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

serious gaylord posted:

It's another thing to complain about. Its not like BA players were taking assault squads anyway, they're hurt more by losing death company as troops, but the way people are going on about it you'd think people were rocking up with 6 squads as standard.
They were, just in 5 man squads in Razorbacks.

Raphus C
Feb 17, 2011
Can people not take whatever models they want in an unbound army? If you are going with these old gimmick lists winning wasn't a high priority anyway so go with unbound and take the objective hit.

I feel like fielding an army made up of nothing but Ork bikers, I can.

Can I not take 100 Kannons in 1850?

100, toughness 7, 4 wound models shooting S8 shots or s4 small blasts. This looks like a fun idea.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
What were ASM doing in Razorbacks that Tacs didn't do better? They can't charge out of them, they lose HoW and jump mobility, and ASM as a unit are pretty loving dogshit. In 5e you would save 25 points on the unit plus Razorback vs a Tac squad in a Razorback but the Tac squad didn't lose any of it's viability by taking a transport and was better anyway.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
They were doing it 35 points cheaper.

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

I'll hear your stories when we come back, alright?
Blood Angels ASM troop razorback spam was a biggggg thing in the tourney scene when the last codex came out.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Devlan Mud posted:

Blood Angels ASM troop razorback spam was a biggggg thing in the tourney scene when the last codex came out.

Thats 2 editions ago though. Razorback spam hasnt really been super effective for a while. Especially when the troops that get out after they've been ripped open have range 12 bolt pistols.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
so I haven't really played since early 6th ed., before dataslates and formations and all that poo poo was introduced.

How do I even go about building a list these days?

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

MasterSlowPoke posted:

They were doing it 35 points cheaper.

They were doing it 25 points cheaper, and I'd argue I'd never find saving 25 points worth having bolt pistols and chainswords as your only weapons.

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

so I haven't really played since early 6th ed., before dataslates and formations and all that poo poo was introduced.

You don't, and go play X-Wing instead.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

This very much depends on how complicated you want to get with it. Most armies can still field a solid single FOC "combined arms" detachment as your army list. Formations, data slates, and allies are all optional for variety, fluff, and/or squeezing every ounce of powergaming you can out of your list. Make something you feel happy with Ina single FOC and then consider investigating either dataslate units or a Formation to use in replacement for part of your original list. It's certainly not mandatory, but if you play enough games with a standard FOC being able to expend out to other options really freshens things up, even if your not trying to min/max.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?
Warhammer 40k: Go play X-Wing instead

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
Dataslates is just a new name for a Codex entry, like a Tactical Squad. They renamed it so that way new additions to a Faction (Like all the new Tyranid models) have the same legitimacy as the Codex's Dataslates. Dataslates have a Battlefield Role, like Troops, and a Faction, like Blood Angels.

Detachments have a list of compulsory and optional battlefield roles to fill that detachment. Any particular unit chosen from a Dataslate can only be assigned to a single Detachment. Most (all?) require all the choices to be from the same Faction. Detachments have a list of Command Benefits that apply only to units in that Detachment.

A Primary Detachment is the one that contains your Warlord. There is nothing else special about it. It can be (almost) any kind of Detachment. You must have a Warlord, and it can be any Character in your entire force, from a Cultist Champion to a Chaos Lord.

All games can consist of multiple detachments. There is no limit, other than points and filling out the compulsory selections with Dataslates that fit that Battlefield Role. There is no reason each Detachment can't have a different Faction.

You can use the old Force Org Chart as a detachment, it's now called a Combined Arms Detachment (CAD). They've added a Lord of War slot (Superheavies and faction leaders like Dante or Logan). The Command Benefits of a CAD is that the Troops have Objective Secured, allowing

You can take any number of CADs, from 0 to infinity, so long as each one has 1 HQ and 2 Troops choices. If you want 6 Heavy Support slots, then a double CAD list is one way to do it.

The other 'standard' Detachment is the Allied Detachment. There is nothing special about it, other than that you can't choose your Warlord from it and it cannot be the same Faction as your Primary Detachment.

All of the 7th editions books and supplements have featured a Faction Specific Detachment (fan made name). They have different force org charts and command benefits from CADs.

There are also Formations, which are special Detachments in that you don't get to choose what units make them up. A Formation can be something like the Blitz Brigade, which consists of 5 Battlewagons. They are the same as any other Detachment - your warlord can be from a Formation, and you can have as many as you want.

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you

Slimnoid posted:

Warhammer 40k: Go play X-Wing instead

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

adamantium|wang posted:

You don't, and go play X-Wing instead.

He is trying to open your eyes sheeple!

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.

Raphus C posted:

Can people not take whatever models they want in an unbound army? If you are going with these old gimmick lists winning wasn't a high priority anyway so go with unbound and take the objective hit.

I feel like fielding an army made up of nothing but Ork bikers, I can.

Can I not take 100 Kannons in 1850?

100, toughness 7, 4 wound models shooting S8 shots or s4 small blasts. This looks like a fun idea.

Actually you can do something loving super cool with Kanon Squads from the Ork Codex, put a model that is Slow and Purposeful in the unit and then the unit can move and fire as Slow and Purposeful confers Relentless on the unit. So I think a cool conversion would be a big Ork Megaboss dragging behind him Kannons with like chains hooked to his body. That's cool as hell.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Dec 23, 2014

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
farbeit that I want to ruin your weird rammstein music video Ork, but none of them really get much efficacy from moving and shooting

spacegoat
Dec 23, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Nap Ghost

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

Well if you want everything for Tyranids right now it's about $140US in books.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
I've been putting together a IA12 army (Minotaurs + DKK).

For DKK, I'm thinking of running an armored company from IA1 2ndEd.

Total allies would be 500 points: 2 vanquishers (company command + commissar) w/ beast hunter shells (72" S8 AP2 small blast Instant death), co-axial heavy stubber, and a armored fist squad with autocannon in an autocannon chimera

I have no idea how to build a space marines list.

I've got:
Asterion Moloc
Ivanus Enkomi
bolter or shotgun scouts in land speeder storms (100 point cheap objective grabbers)
sniper scouts
tacticals with rhino/razorbacks and drop pods
two storm talons
storm raven
caestus assault ram
relic sicaran battle tank
5 contemptor dreadnoughts, bunch of kheres, a few autocannons, all magnetized
5 sternguard
10 honor guard
20 assault marines
captain with lc/pf and jump pack
pf/cf terminator captain
a bunch of siege mantlets if I wanted to run a IA:10 list

DO IT TO IT
Mar 3, 2008

I know "mon" means man, but I don't think "Och" means anything.

So, someone with the Exterminatus book: In the Archangels Sanguine Wing formation, does everyone get free power weapons/combi-weapons or is it just the sergeants?

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

In the Emperor's name, let none survive.

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

I've been putting together a IA12 army (Minotaurs + DKK).

For DKK, I'm thinking of running an armored company from IA1 2ndEd.

Total allies would be 500 points: 2 vanquishers (company command + commissar) w/ beast hunter shells (72" S8 AP2 small blast Instant death), co-axial heavy stubber, and a armored fist squad with autocannon in an autocannon chimera

I have no idea how to build a space marines list.

I've got:
Asterion Moloc
Ivanus Enkomi
bolter or shotgun scouts in land speeder storms (100 point cheap objective grabbers)
sniper scouts
tacticals with rhino/razorbacks and drop pods
two storm talons
storm raven
caestus assault ram
relic sicaran battle tank
5 contemptor dreadnoughts, bunch of kheres, a few autocannons, all magnetized
5 sternguard
10 honor guard
d

20 assault marines
captain with lc/pf and jump pack
pf/cf terminator captain
a bunch of siege mantlets if I wanted to run a IA:10 list

Disclaimer - I know nothing about minotaurs.

Drop pods with ObSec are really really good. Tacticals with a Melta combi Melta or flamer combi flamer are a solid troops option to slam into the enemy. Sternguard with 5 combi weapons also.

I love contemptors, but everything other than the Mortis Kheres is underwhelming imo. Mortis Kheres will delete units under av12 and has decent anti flyer capability.

Two stormtalon with sky hammers for 250 pts is a steal, they're very good.

Never played a sicarian but on paper they look good.

Also 10 sniper scouts with a heavy bolter fo lyf! Combine with thunderfire cannon and camo cloaks for a 2+ save in ruins.

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Better tear off this bar association logo.
I have just about finished assembling my new Stormraven and I am leaning towards not magnetizing it. I'm not sure how to have swappable hurricane bolters without filling the interior with junk, and I prefer the way it looks without them. The turret on top would be easier to magnetize than the hurricane bolters, but less easy than just gluing the lascannons on and calling it a day.

Will I probably be fine for all eternity with MM/Lascannons/no hurricane bolters, or are there any really wicked good alternate builds that I will be missing out on?

Ninja edit: I have a skyhammer stormtalon and a heavy bolter fire raptor, so I have dedicated antipersonnel/APC flyers if I really need them.

Von Humboldt
Jan 13, 2009
I've been running the following Ork list at 1850 under LVO/BAO restrictions, and been generally happy with it. I just cut out a Looted Wagon, however, and now have about one hundred extra points to fiddle with.

Combined Arms Detachment
Mega-Armored Warboss with kit
Mega-Armored Warboss with kit

2 Meks

16 Orks with Power Klaw Nob
16 Orks with Power Klaw Nob

Battlewagon with kit
Battlewagon with kit

Deffkopta
Deffkopta
Deffkopta

Allied Detachment
Big Mek with KFF, Fixer-Upper

Mek

9 Shootas with Power Klaw Nob

Blitzbomma

Lord of War
Kill Krusha with 5 TL Rokkits and 2 Grot Bomms

It's not exactly the most optimal list - the Kill Krusha has been a real puzzle to get to work, but I'm figuring it out - but it's been a lot of fun for me. The Blitzabomma is doing major work, and the Deffkoptas (thanks to those that provided input on them!) are proving invaluable for harassment. The Looted Wagon was very disappointing so it had to go - which brings us to those hundred extra points I have to spend. Where should they go? I'm out of Fast Attack slots, which is a bummer, but I am thinking about swapping a Deffkopta out for another Blizabomma or a Dakkajet. I've still got spots in the rest of the list, and I can sneak in a formation or fortification as well. I can build most anything, since I have a pile of Orks, lots of bits, and plenty of rescued Imperial vehicles.

drgnvale
Apr 30, 2004

A sword is not cutlery!

Sulecrist posted:

I have just about finished assembling my new Stormraven and I am leaning towards not magnetizing it. I'm not sure how to have swappable hurricane bolters without filling the interior with junk, and I prefer the way it looks without them. The turret on top would be easier to magnetize than the hurricane bolters, but less easy than just gluing the lascannons on and calling it a day.

Will I probably be fine for all eternity with MM/Lascannons/no hurricane bolters, or are there any really wicked good alternate builds that I will be missing out on?

Ninja edit: I have a skyhammer stormtalon and a heavy bolter fire raptor, so I have dedicated antipersonnel/APC flyers if I really need them.

The way I magnetized the hurrican bolters worked out really well. I glued the magnets to the inside of the access doors and then painted over them. You can't really see into the inside all that well with the ramp down, so no one is ever going to notice that the door isn't entirely flat on the inside. Then the bolter shroud got some magnets greenstuff welded to it. That's actually the only part I did magnetize, the rear end cannons are just elmers glued onto the turret. I have plans to go magnetize the rear end cannons and lasor cannons one day, but so far the assault cannons have been just fine and I haven't felt the need to swap them out.

The Multimelta is just shoved into the gun spot, no glue or anything. It wedges in pretty well on it's own.

Speaking of magnetizing, I think I might have to use magnets for the Crone's little missile bugs. At first friction was keeping them attached to the wing mounts, but now they are falling off. I think I'll just drill into the wing mounts and put a magnet in there, and then another small one in the chest of the missile guy and hope its not too ugly. I'd guess that since you don't see that part at all I will get over it, but I'm kinda obsessive about magnets being visible. I'm also not sure which size would be needed; should I use the ones I use for vehicle weapons (1/8"), or the really tiny ones I use for space marine arms/weapons (1/16")?

The Impaler
Dec 28, 2011

10 Brogies
20 GOTO 10

DO IT TO IT posted:

So, someone with the Exterminatus book: In the Archangels Sanguine Wing formation, does everyone get free power weapons/combi-weapons or is it just the sergeants?

1st company armoury: vanguard vet squads from this formation can take a single power weapon or lightning claw per model as a free upgrade. sternguard vet squads from this formation can take a single storm bolter or combi-weapon per model as a free upgrade

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 8 days!

adamantium|wang posted:

So wait, not only are Assault squads no longer Troops but BA have no way of taking Tactical squads with bolt pistol & CCW? Bahahahaha :cawg:

But haven't you heard, there is a new tac squad box out with BA bitz! Surely this makes up for losing the ability to use assault-type squads equipped with CCW as troops in an army traditionally portrayed as relying heavily upon close combat assaults! :downs:

• Locked thread