Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

An A-Class FSD for the Cobra is 1.6mil, a B-class is 500-600k.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
Just another day in the office :v:

evilolive
Aug 13, 2014

Xesis posted:

Can someone tell me how much money I need to save to outfit a Cobra for a trading setup and a decent FSD? I know a Cobra is 379k, but want to make sure I don't go bankrupt just getting the basic model.

The C drive is ~120k, the B drive is ~500k and the A drive is ~1.5m. You can go 13 light years loaded with a C drive, 16 light years with the B drive, 20 with A.

Nelson Mandingo posted:

Did they ever give a reason as to why there won't be player owned space? With 800 million systems, it seems like such an obvious thing to include- at least down the road.

I agree. I already see a lack of drive, or something like that in the game and I don't see any reason why they won't allow player owned space.

Frank Horrigan
Jul 31, 2013

by Ralp

peter gabriel posted:

Pips to SYS and ENG, dammit!

Captain Diarrhoea
Apr 16, 2011
Any ideas what to aim for as my next ship from my Viper? It's cool and I've been wrecking stuff with it but I've only hauled in ~400k (in bounties) thus far which is gently caress all compared to the more expensive goodies. The Imperial clipper looks cool but I think I'm just tempted by its shiny silvery paint. Am I gonna have to buy a big cumbersome piece of poo poo truck to rake in enough cash for one?

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Frank Horrigan posted:

Pips to SYS and ENG, dammit!

My HAT went to free look there, but at least I figured out just after which button I had mapped to toggle that between free look and systems - it was my FSD button :negative:

No wonder it felt so random, the switching between the two modes ha ha ha - I am such a twat

evilolive
Aug 13, 2014

Captain Diarrhoea posted:

Any ideas what to aim for as my next ship from my Viper? It's cool and I've been wrecking stuff with it but I've only hauled in ~400k (in bounties) thus far which is gently caress all compared to the more expensive goodies. The Imperial clipper looks cool but I think I'm just tempted by its shiny silvery paint. Am I gonna have to buy a big cumbersome piece of poo poo truck to rake in enough cash for one?

How do you have your viper equipped? How far will an A class FSD take you? Price? I got a cobra right now maxed for cargo, 60 tons. It's not a bad trading vessel and I can defend myself even though I have no shields. Beams forever and class 2 multi canons. I'd check that out. The type 6 just seems too cumbersome, but perhaps if you can find good trade routes, you can make it work.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Type 6 is just a bit over 1 million.

The Imperial Clipper is around 22 Million.

If your heart is set on that Clipper, you will probably want to buy a big cumbersome piece of poo poo without looking into efficient cobra rare routes . But Dat Asp is "only" in almost 7 million range and is a cool ship. Lakon Type-7 is around 17.5 million.

EDIT: In before "You don't HAVE to trade in a cumbersome piece of poo poo, I worked my way up to an anaconda driving a stock sidewinder uphill both ways :corsair:"

Section Z fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Dec 23, 2014

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

I've currently got a pair of fixed Beam Lasers and a gimballed Cannon on my Eagle, but I'm considering swapping out the cannon for some seeker missiles. Are they worthwhile on a small hardpoint?

Also, what's the difference between missiles and torpedoes? All I could tell was that the torpedo launchers I could find only had one shot before you have to buy more ammo for them but they didn't seem to do much more damage than the missiles.

Captain Diarrhoea
Apr 16, 2011

evilolive posted:

How do you have your viper equipped? How far will an A class FSD take you? Price? I got a cobra right now maxed for cargo, 60 tons. It's not a bad trading vessel and I can defend myself even though I have no shields. Beams forever and class 2 multi canons. I'd check that out. The type 6 just seems too cumbersome, but perhaps if you can find good trade routes, you can make it work.

Gimballed multicannons on the nose and dumbfire missiles under the wings with a kill warrant scanner. I had the beams as standard for a long time but I don't find them as satisfying and the missiles are great for dumping on high bounties that you don't want to risk slipping away. I'm not sure about the FSD, right now I think my jump range is like ~9-10 which has only proved a pain in the rear end once (albeit a big one). I'm tempted to go for a cobra because it seems to be the logical next step and far more flexible, but doing some reading it sounds like it's not as fun to fight in.

Section Z posted:

If your heart is set on that Clipper, you will probably want to buy a big cumbersome piece of poo poo without looking into efficient cobra rare routes . But Dat Asp is "only" in almost 7 million range and is a cool ship. Lakon Type-7 is around 17.5 million.

EDIT: In before "You don't HAVE to trade in a cumbersome piece of poo poo, I worked my way up to an anaconda driving a stock sidewinder uphill both ways :corsair:"

I think I'm still kind of in denial about how slightly poopysocky this game is, as much as I like pretty much everything about it. It's really just the supercruise slog to stations AFTER the trading and jumping that puts me off space truckin' my way to riches. I might do the extra time so I can keep the Viper in storage after I buy my brick.

Captain Diarrhoea fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Dec 23, 2014

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Icedude posted:

I've currently got a pair of fixed Beam Lasers and a gimballed Cannon on my Eagle, but I'm considering swapping out the cannon for some seeker missiles. Are they worthwhile on a small hardpoint?

Also, what's the difference between missiles and torpedoes? All I could tell was that the torpedo launchers I could find only had one shot before you have to buy more ammo for them but they didn't seem to do much more damage than the missiles.

Seeker missiles are awful. Use the dumbfire ones.

DopeGhoti
May 24, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
After my brief experiments with seeker missiles, don't bother. They barely do any damage. Dumbfire missiles are where it's at.

Captain Diarrhoea
Apr 16, 2011
I agree after going from seekers to dumbfires, but in their defense it is cool to unleash them up somebodys butt at the tone.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Nelson Mandingo posted:

Did they ever give a reason as to why there won't be player owned space? With 800 million systems, it seems like such an obvious thing to include- at least down the road.

Yes multiple times.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Yes multiple times.

I am going to have the empires best military slave system.

Stanko-Prussian
May 22, 2006

CLEAN YOUR ROOM!, 'they' said.
DO YOUR HOMEWORK!, 'they' said.
WHY ARE YOU IN LOVE WITH A CARTOON PONY, 'they' said.
FOR GODSAKE! STOP SHOWING US YOUR BLACKHOLE'!! 'they' said.

When I lit the match....STOP SCREAMING, 'I' said

Nelson Mandingo posted:

Because it fundamentally changes what the game's about and how you play it, and how other people then have to play it to compensate for that.

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

Keep this up G'Bert, and soon you won't have a pigeon to protect!
So, is there a good source of info on what the advantages/disadvantages of various weapons are? I've finally got a good enough handle on combat to be able to tackle most Harmless-Competent NPCs in Sidewinders/Eagles/Cobras, with my current Sidewinder, but I'm not really clear on what I should be taking into account for whenever I get enough cr together to upgrade my guns.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

I think I'm still kind of in denial about how slightly poopysocky this game is, as much as I like pretty much everything about it. It's really just the supercruise slog to stations AFTER the trading and jumping that puts me off space truckin' my way to riches. I might do the extra time so I can keep the Viper in storage after I buy my brick.

I'm in a weird place. I don't mind time and effort towards bigger and better things, so long as there is consistent work available relative to your current loadout, and you are at least able to steadily upgrade a thing here and there along the way.

But, since there really isn't once you get past those first few ships... Eh. You go from "Oh I can get a new ship and then up grade it REAL FAST... Once I actually have a nest egg to get the ball rolling", to a brick wall of rising purchase costs, and fuel bills that cost more than buying a fresh Eagle or Cobra if you are not willing and able to throw even MORE time and money at the game for a fuel scoop and loving around stars hoping you don't get interdicted by a hauler that magically turns into an Asp sporting multicannons and dumbfires again.

Throw in a game economy and in game trade data that is so hosed up as to be nearly useless without resorting to either outside references (written off of "oh that's just the game being :darksouls: about info sharing. that's a good thing.") or relying on Rares not just because of their value, but consistency... Yeah.

I mean, I totally agree that you should not be able to just get yourself into Dat Asp or bigger just with a casual weekend of play or something crazy. But with how obtuse or frustrating trying to learn to make cash without relying on external info because every time you think you have found a sure thing it turns out the place is actually importing platinum for LESS than the Galactic average or something. Things just aren't polished enough yet to keep moving and busy if things do not conveniently line up things for you, especially if you are stubbornly trying to avoid trader sites/trader sights flake out or tell you "silly person, that station or system doesn't exist! Also we're just going to hang if you try to use your permissions to add the stations and commodities in your leg of space to other people's benefit."

TL;DR: Bonkers and deliberately inflated per ship size maintenance fees aside (Hi, variable gas prices!), I wouldn't mind the grind so much if you could just pick out anywhere on the Galaxy map, and then using nothing but the in game information, reliably set yourself a nice road trip where the trade data for every stop between point A to point B is accurate enough to turn a reasonable profit after expenses. Not just looking up "Hey are there any Rares between where I am not and where I am going?" or checking trader sites to see what, if anything, is even in stock.

Instead of constantly making a stop off at a station declaring "Huge successful wealthy super cool guys!" across the top of the commodity menu, and seeing mostly 4 digit numbers, IF that of any product supposed to come from that economy, let alone it's exports.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Dec 23, 2014

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

peter gabriel posted:

Smoke em if you got em

evilolive
Aug 13, 2014
This game in it's current state is a 3D version of Escape Velocity Nova minus the faction story lines. This game will fail if it doesn't incorporate player owned space. It just simply will. There is not enough motion within the universe without. What we have is an endless supply of systems and no way to make a distinction between them. No way to make a distinction between areas of space and with no storylines to really speak of, you will end up with a stale game.

Supercruise is an issue that can and should be worked out without losing the feeling of the vastness of space. However, if player distinctions cannot be made then you have nothing.

There is no crafting system to speak of ala EVE, and as such, with also no player owned space, the grind of mining and trading currently being experienced by players is ultimately pointless. What's the point? E-credits, that's all. The prices changes due to supply and demand, but not really. There needs to be more that is dynamically driven by players and groups.

That's my feeling currently. There's no drive to the game. We have a fishtank with no pump circulating water, with the developers falsely thinking they created an ocean in homeostasis (I hope I used that correctly, couldn't figure out if something is in homeostasis or is homeostatic, or with homeostasis, whatever)

Stanko-Prussian
May 22, 2006

CLEAN YOUR ROOM!, 'they' said.
DO YOUR HOMEWORK!, 'they' said.
WHY ARE YOU IN LOVE WITH A CARTOON PONY, 'they' said.
FOR GODSAKE! STOP SHOWING US YOUR BLACKHOLE'!! 'they' said.

When I lit the match....STOP SCREAMING, 'I' said

evilolive posted:

This game in it's current state is a 3D version of Escape Velocity Nova minus the faction story lines. This game will fail if it doesn't incorporate player owned space. It just simply will. There is not enough motion within the universe without. What we have is an endless supply of systems and no way to make a distinction between them. No way to make a distinction between areas of space and with no storylines to really speak of, you will end up with a stale game.

Supercruise is an issue that can and should be worked out without losing the feeling of the vastness of space. However, if player distinctions cannot be made then you have nothing.

There is no crafting system to speak of ala EVE, and as such, with also no player owned space, the grind of mining and trading currently being experienced by players is ultimately pointless. What's the point? E-credits, that's all. The prices changes due to supply and demand, but not really. There needs to be more that is dynamically driven by players and groups.

That's my feeling currently. There's no drive to the game. We have a fishtank with no pump circulating water, with the developers falsely thinking they created an ocean in homeostasis (I hope I used that correctly, couldn't figure out if something is in homeostasis or is homeostatic, or with homeostasis, whatever)

source your quotes

evilolive
Aug 13, 2014

Stanko-Prussian posted:

source your quotes

I didn't quote anything?

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

evilolive posted:

RIP Elite: Dangerous death by not being EVE Online

It's been denied over and over again that there will be player-owned space in the game, specifically because players can deny other players without reason into it. If you were expecting to own a monkey house then I don't know why you were, it's something they have been clear on many times.

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

This post probably contains a Rickroll link!

evilolive posted:

Right now it's really a game with 400 billion stars and nothing to do. But keep in mind that this game is released in name only, it's really more like an early access game with the amount of poo poo they have planned in the future.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
Y'all are filthy casuals

evilolive
Aug 13, 2014

KakerMix posted:

RIP Elite: Dangerous death by not being EVE Online

It's been denied over and over again that there will be player-owned space in the game, specifically because players can deny other players without reason into it. If you were expecting to own a monkey house then I don't know why you were, it's something they have been clear on many times.

Perhaps I took my example too far, I don't expect any sort of crafting. What I am simply saying is with endless choice, you have no choice. Infinity is zero (woah deep, man). It seems to me that there's no life to the universe and a way to rectify that is to allow the players to do what they are going to do. It doesn't have to be EVE, but borrowing some tools out of that box might do the game some good and give some circulation to a system that seems quite anemic to me.

I guess my point is, the grind needs to have a purpose.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

lol if you think that not having player owned space is the death of this game

XENA I LOVE YOU
Sep 11, 2010

This game will die if I cannot date the Emperor. Without the ability for players to date major characters how wi

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

evilolive posted:

"Game does not perfectly match my expectations therefore it is garbage."

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Here is a docking guide for any new players

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.

Third World Reggin posted:

Here is a docking guide for any new players

I don't have anything to critique like your last abomination. You have come so far.

:qq: <- tears of joy

edit: Also why bother having player owned space? Its not like some clever person will ever come up with a name better than Big Harry's.

evilolive
Aug 13, 2014

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

"Game does not perfectly match my expectations therefore it is garbage."

You wanna know the worst part? I've never played eve.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

evilolive posted:

I didn't quote anything?

lmao

Luccion
Jun 14, 2008

evilolive posted:

Perhaps I took my example too far, I don't expect any sort of crafting. What I am simply saying is with endless choice, you have no choice. Infinity is zero (woah deep, man). It seems to me that there's no life to the universe and a way to rectify that is to allow the players to do what they are going to do. It doesn't have to be EVE, but borrowing some tools out of that box might do the game some good and give some circulation to a system that seems quite anemic to me.

I guess my point is, the grind needs to have a purpose.

There is one, it just doesn't seem to be something you are interested in. The stories circulating on the GALNET are the story. You can affect it by participating. You grind money to get the bigger and badder ships so you can participate with more impact. While the "costs" of doing business in an extraordinarily expensive ship are prohibitive, they do offer you the ability to do whatever you'd like. I mean, I can think up a dozen ways to spend my time just because I want to know if it will work or not. However, you also have to understand that this game is in development still as well. If you and several people on this board, are grinding through all the content with ease and efficiency, know that you are the minority. The average user of this game (who didn't have beta access of course) is probably just now upgrading to an Adder and still seeking upgrades.

For example, I don't play all day, but I sure do play way too much, and I didn't have beta access. I'm currently sitting on 11 million credits and a stripped down, 56 cargo, A FSD, D every other component, A fuel scoop, no weapon Cobra. I did that so I can run the Bast group to Lave group rare runs in just under an hour and 30 minutes. That clocks in at around ~1 million credits each cycle. However, I also do research on the interwebs about the games I play, have a spread sheet on my second screen and I'm generally a huge loving nerd. I can't imagine the average user comes anywhere close to the profitability that I do, but Frontier doesn't expect them to. If they had play owned systems, me, and several other bigger sperglords on these very boards would gather up system points, militarize them, and terrorize the average user, because we can. Frontier doesn't want that, for good reason.

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug

evilolive posted:

Perhaps some of us find the core gameplay loop compelling enough that this is sufficient for long-term sustainability?

Before every god drat FPS added ranks and unlocks and a progression system, many of us were just happy to shoot mans.

I like flying a spaceship and shooting lasers and buying/selling poo poo.

There are already games that handle player sovereignty and the like, Elite does not need to join their ranks and it wouldn't really be following in the footsteps of its successors if it did.

Luccion posted:

However, I also do research on the interwebs about the games I play, have a spread sheet on my second screen and I'm generally a huge loving nerd. I can't imagine the average user comes anywhere close to the profitability that I do, but Frontier doesn't expect them to.

I'm currently writing a web app to store all my trading data because I was getting tired of a spreadsheet and have no desire to use that elitetradingtool site. :p

bonds0097 fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Dec 23, 2014

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

This game doesn't live up to chris roberts's promises at all, wtf

evilolive
Aug 13, 2014

Luccion posted:

There is one, it just doesn't seem to be something you are interested in. The stories circulating on the GALNET are the story. You can affect it by participating. You grind money to get the bigger and badder ships so you can participate with more impact. While the "costs" of doing business in an extraordinarily expensive ship are prohibitive, they do offer you the ability to do whatever you'd like. I mean, I can think up a dozen ways to spend my time just because I want to know if it will work or not. However, you also have to understand that this game is in development still as well. If you and several people on this board, are grinding through all the content with ease and efficiency, know that you are the minority. The average user of this game (who didn't have beta access of course) is probably just now upgrading to an Adder and still seeking upgrades.

For example, I don't play all day, but I sure do play way too much, and I didn't have beta access. I'm currently sitting on 11 million credits and a stripped down, 56 cargo, A FSD, D every other component, A fuel scoop, no weapon Cobra. I did that so I can run the Bast group to Lave group rare runs in just under an hour and 30 minutes. That clocks in at around ~1 million credits each cycle. However, I also do research on the interwebs about the games I play, have a spread sheet on my second screen and I'm generally a huge loving nerd. I can't imagine the average user comes anywhere close to the profitability that I do, but Frontier doesn't expect them to. If they had play owned systems, me, and several other bigger sperglords on these very boards would gather up system points, militarize them, and terrorize the average user, because we can. Frontier doesn't want that, for good reason.

Good point. Perhaps I'm just a terrorist at heart. You do bring up some good points in the beginning as well, thanks for pointing those out to me. And I don't mean to say blah blah this game is garbage. I think it's fun, it just has the cereal aisle at the supermarket problem in my eyes.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

aranth posted:

Python fuel cost is bananas. :psyduck:

36k for a 35 ly trip that took 3 jumps. My old Lakon-7 only needed 8k for the 70 ly round trip with the same 32 ton tank (and that was around half capacity). What kind of rear end backwards logic increases the prices of fuel depending on the ship you're using?

The Clipper has similarly crazy fuel costs. I just slapped a scoop on it.

kung fu jive
Jul 2, 2014

SOPHISTICATED DOG SHIT
I told myself I couldn't play this game because I don't own a joystick and I've been relatively poor as of late. Last night I watched a few videos of people doing various space things. Fuuuuck, time to download this poo poo. It looks amazing.

I've heard arguments that it is content light but I'm a patient nerd and I really just want to fly around in pretty space so I should be alright, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

Knifegrab posted:

I don't have anything to critique like your last abomination. You have come so far.

:qq: <- tears of joy

edit: Also why bother having player owned space? Its not like some clever person will ever come up with a name better than Big Harry's.

I'll let you in on a secret - we can own as much of space as we want. We just won't get anything official, or formal. Just how the "Empire" or the "Federation" are made up of loosely aligned star systems, which can be flipped one by one by our whims. Goonfleet endures.

• Locked thread