Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

Knifegrab posted:

So how do you prevent someone from FSD jumping from a fight? I thought before that taking out their FSD was possible, but it seems like there isn't really a way to stop it anymore. I guess taking out their thrusters would prevent it but that would take forever. Is there anything that can slow it down? Obviously you can chase them but often thats a pointless endeavor.

Secondly, what is the best kind of weapons to use to destroy modules?

Either get a wake scanner that will let you follow them, or kill them faster. Generally if they're getting time to chicken out and complete their jump, you either don't have enough DPS or you aren't applying that DPS consistently.

I believe Armor penetration is the stat you want here, so something like a multicannon on gimbals is ideal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maarek
Jun 9, 2002

Your silence only incriminates you further.

KiddieGrinder posted:

What the gently caress are people's problems? Some players have an issue with wasting 10-20 minutes doing useless (and boring, let's face it travelling from station to station isn't edge of your seat excitement) busywork in total ignorance of whether or not it'll pay off, and goons tell them to "stop complaining l2p sorry you have to actually fly in this game lol :smuggo:"

This game looks to me like it was designed to work alot like the older Elite games: you do things because they are fun to do. This isn't a MMO where you have to grind up to X level or money to do the fun stuff. The stuff you are doing in the sidewinder is already supposed to be the fun stuff. While there is progression in this game, it is much more like a sandbox or flight sim than anything else and I'm guessing that if you think that trading in a hauler is boring you are also going to think that trading in an asp is boring. If you think space trucking is boring busywork, there's really no reason to do it.

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods

Knifegrab posted:

Secondly, what is the best kind of weapons to use to destroy modules?

Cannons and Railguns I think.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
So close :negative:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_SJ1bK5Bqgg

Dred_furst
Nov 19, 2007

"Hey look, I'm flying a giant dong"
Man the NPCs get some good names

Maarek
Jun 9, 2002

Your silence only incriminates you further.
Next time once you get out of danger go full pips to engines and just boost like crazy when you're that low.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
I need to figure out this boosting, I only just realised today that it might not be the same as doing that thing where you gently caress off down a space tunnel for a bit and pop up near a sun

I had 50,000 in unclaimed bounty money on me when I blew up ha ha

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
My first victory in a dogfight today! :toot:

Some random Eagle pulled my Cobra out of supercruise as I was distracted by scanning something down and I somehow outmaneuverd the guy. I didn't even have any fancy weapons or something, just my two loaned stock pulse lasers.

Either that NPC was the shittiest pilot ever, or I'm better then I thought! Well, now I just need to find a good upgrade to my shield generator, a better power plant and some better scanners. Of course now that I have the money, I can't find any of this. I've upgraded almost everything else to C-B range, though. :shepface:

Maj._Victory
Sep 16, 2007

BUILD MORE CITY WALLS!
Ramrod XTreme

Syves posted:

I'm afraid if I want to do some serious ship combat, I may need to buy a Viper. I just want to use my Cobra because I want to be able to do some combat between trade runs. 160ly to dump a pile of rares is a long way when you just start out in a Cobra without much extra cash. I just want some space shootmans to lighten the mood while I'm eastbound and down.

No need to go out and get a Viper just for fighting as the Cobra is a great combat craft. I've got an Asp now but I kept my Cobra around just for having fun dogfighting(its also way WAY cheaper to repair if you mess up). Just make sure the bottom mounts are gimbled and you'll be fine. I ran with gimbled multi-cannons in the top mounts for a while before switching to fixed cannons, but now I'm thinking about trying fixed beams and swapping out the beams in the bottom mounts for multi-cannons. If I was using a Viper I'm not sure there would be as much flexibility in weapons loadouts since the available power is much tighter due to having only a class 3 power plant compared to the Cobra's class 4.

Maj._Victory fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Dec 24, 2014

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
I am OK at dogfighting, I can hang out at Nav Beacons killing Imperial Clippers and all sorts of groovy poo poo, it's just absolutely everything else that I am terrible at :v:

Inverness
Feb 4, 2009

Fully configurable personal assistant.
Jumping into a system 150k LS away from a station is some fierce bullshit. I started in LHS 3447. They should have multiple nav beacons and let you select which one you want from the galaxy map.

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

Keep this up G'Bert, and soon you won't have a pigeon to protect!

Maarek posted:

This game looks to me like it was designed to work alot like the older Elite games: you do things because they are fun to do. This isn't a MMO where you have to grind up to X level or money to do the fun stuff. The stuff you are doing in the sidewinder is already supposed to be the fun stuff. While there is progression in this game, it is much more like a sandbox or flight sim than anything else and I'm guessing that if you think that trading in a hauler is boring you are also going to think that trading in an asp is boring. If you think space trucking is boring busywork, there's really no reason to do it.

This really. I've seriously only been dooting around in a Sidewinder since the game's release and, bugged quests notwithstanding, I've had way more fun treating space trucking as a nice little bonus source of credits in addition to bounties/exploration than I did when I was just trucking during the Gamma.

EDIT: Also I'm using an M+K setup, pretty much only fly with FA off, and I haven't really had any major problems during combat since some non-control things finally clicked with me, so I'm not sure what the people saying it's a bad idea to try are on about.

Ernie Muppari fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Dec 24, 2014

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
I see it like Asteroids crossed with a driving sim that has no road with a bit of Ebay thrown in on the side without the negative feedback gently caress you steve9899g that iPod was PERFECT when I loving sent it you goddam hobo prick

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

Had a lot of fun last night hanging around at a resource node at a gas giant's rings just scanning everybody around. It was numbingly slow until suddenly there were a bunch of angry wanted ships popping up in a short period of time. Almost got my rear end handed to me by a Cobra and Sidewinder that ganged up on me (same faction maybe?) but I managed to survive with major hull damage. Jumped to a different system to turn in the bounties since I probably killed wanted ships of every local faction and nearly blew up from too much sun heat . Just barely limped into a dinky local station.

Loving this fuckin' game.

Inverness posted:

Jumping into a system 150k LS away from a station is some fierce bullshit. I started in LHS 3447. They should have multiple nav beacons and let you select which one you want from the galaxy map.

This, absolutely.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Inverness posted:

Yeah, sometimes it get a bit absurd. Like with the rare good called "Void Coffee-Extract" or something, that good is in a station about 7 million light seconds from the star. I don't even know long that would take. Up to 40k LS can be done in about five minutes, but after that I'm at a loss. What is the maximum supercruise speed again? 2100 or 2700c?

At 2700c, that would be around 43 minutes of travel time at max speed. With accelerationg and decceleration, it's more like an hour. Now I want to see Frontier's data on how many players try to get that elusive Void Coffee and other insanely far away goods. Maybe if no one bothers with travelling to those stations, they'll finally cave in and set up some more nav points to prevent ludicrously long travel times.

But even if not, one day I'll probably try to travel to that particular station, just so I can say I've traded in Void Coffee-Extract. :smug:

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Grondoth posted:

I bought an Eagle in Atlantis, storing my Adder.

Somehow, my Adder ended up in Eranin. Does this... is this a thing?

Don't trust the stored ship location. I self-destructed a Sidewinder in Cegreeth, chose the wrong option like an idiot (free sidewinder instead of the 800cr sidewinder, also I'm dumb and can't read), and ended up in LTT 15449, my starting point. The game told me my ship was NOT in Cegreeth, but rather was in Orerre, which is like 150Ly from Cegreeth (which is near Achenar and Jotunheim), up near Lave. It showed the ship icon on Orerre, but checking the system map showed nothing. I checked the system map in Cegreeth, and sure enough there was my Clipper at Volta Orbital waiting for me.

The stored ship dialogue lies.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

evilolive posted:

Cobra is really a nice ship, probably too cheap for how good it is. Asp is my next target for ship. Passed the million mark today, and on my way. Four utility slots on that baby, go exploring!

Considering it is the nicest ship the average player is ever going to see, it's probably appropriately priced.

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME

Maarek posted:

if you think that trading in a hauler is boring you are also going to think that trading in an asp is boring. If you think space trucking is boring busywork, there's really no reason to do it.

No no I don't mind the boring bits, it's just that I want them to be fruitful. I don't want my time be a total waste. I'd absolutely love if all of the spreadsheet and tool info available online was already built in to the game.

I know some people would say that's 'E-Z mode', but we can already do it now because there was a need for it. If I could reliably search in the game to see what system I could sell my space goods at a profit, it'd be great. As it is there's so much vague 'exports to' and 'imports from' nonsense that it's a complete gamble whether or not a station has what you need (or even wants it at a profit) Plus the 'exports to' and 'imports from' only lists the systems, so you'd have to spend 15 minutes hopping from station to station in the system checking each one.

Looking online, asking friends, buying a guidebook (not that that's a thing anymore) or having to write something down doesn't add to the fun or excitement of trading, it's purely tedium; an unneeded extra step.

Like I said in another post, basically I want space wi-fi. We can scan a ship to see if that person is wanted or has a bounty, see what their reputation is, how dangerous they are, etc., we get galactic news broadcasts at every station, but no one in the whole universe has thought to create a reliable trade network for keeping track of demand of goods and prices? Makes no sense to me, and seems to purely be omitted for the sake of artificial difficulty.

peter gabriel posted:

I need to figure out this boosting, I only just realised today that it might not be the same as doing that thing where you gently caress off down a space tunnel for a bit and pop up near a sun

I'm pretty sure boosting is like a speed and maneuverability turbo button, in that for a short time you're more agile and speedier. It doesn't last long, and your ship will need to recharge before you can do it again.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
In the year 3300 surely people would still be able to join Facebook and track down assholes that way?

Bagpuss_UK
May 22, 2001

(NOT BAGPUSS)

Superb advice from Youtube comments as usual:

quote:

your hull must be damaged in a fight, than you oxygen level counts down.
Thats the reason for your death.

evilolive
Aug 13, 2014

Libluini posted:

Yeah, sometimes it get a bit absurd. Like with the rare good called "Void Coffee-Extract" or something, that good is in a station about 7 million light seconds from the star. I don't even know long that would take. Up to 40k LS can be done in about five minutes, but after that I'm at a loss. What is the maximum supercruise speed again? 2100 or 2700c?

At 2700c, that would be around 43 minutes of travel time at max speed. With accelerationg and decceleration, it's more like an hour. Now I want to see Frontier's data on how many players try to get that elusive Void Coffee and other insanely far away goods. Maybe if no one bothers with travelling to those stations, they'll finally cave in and set up some more nav points to prevent ludicrously long travel times.

But even if not, one day I'll probably try to travel to that particular station, just so I can say I've traded in Void Coffee-Extract. :smug:

It's 700,000Ls not 7m, it takes about 15m to get there, and they generally have under double digits in stock. Good luck, it's not worth it lol.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Bagpuss_UK posted:

Superb advice from Youtube comments as usual:

Oh good god :lol: I hope it's one of you guys trolling me

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

peter gabriel posted:

In the year 3300 surely people would still be able to join Facebook and track down assholes that way?

In the year 3300, Facebook has its own star system, known as Zuckerbergia. They have terraformed an entire planet solely for their server farm, and everyone is required to sacrifice a white lamb before the altars of the almighty Like button.

Also, every six weeks some new "feature" is added in order to further exploit the stupidity of mankind.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Gonkish posted:

Zuckerbergia

Ahhh yes, two jumps away from Twitteraria I do believe in the Mongoloid System

XENA I LOVE YOU
Sep 11, 2010

They should really add a option to have the target info show faction without having to go into contacts. Literally the only reason I go into contacts any more is to check a targets faction and to request docking.

And probably show ship and weapon stats as actual numbers instead of up arrows and letters.

evilolive
Aug 13, 2014

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Considering it is the nicest ship the average player is ever going to see, it's probably appropriately priced.

Do you say that because the next step up from that is the Asp?

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Please spread the word:

1. DO NOT bounty hunt in Cegreeth
2. DO NOT do business with any station except Battani Dock in Cegreeth (Unless it is to run missions for the Crimson Boys)
3. DO NOT run missions for anyone but the Crimson Boys

They are taking a serious beating in that system, and we're supposed to be supporting them. Do you guys want to lose your only anarchy outpost with a black market in dozens of lightyears?

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Dec 24, 2014

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Toplowtech posted:

Pro tip before you buy your ASP, make sure you have an 2-3 extra millions to upgrade it decently after you buy it. I only kept under one million extra and i now realize i need 1.5 millions for an all class C modules to make it decent to fly.

My rule of thumb is to make sure you have double your ship's hull price in the bank plus two mill, once you get past the Cobra, so you can still afford to buy cargo once you have your new ship.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Siets posted:

This is super helpful, thank you.

Good, glad it helped!

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

I don't know if it's just the area around Lave or something, but the fixes to AI trading don't seem to have taken effect. Everything is pretty much in low demand everwhere. I'm jumping between stations gathering up as many rares as I can, because I'm going to head back down to Harry's and sell it all to the man himself in an effort to support Goontopia... but trying to sell random trinkets between the stations is going nowhere. I'm making profit, but just barely. It's sad. :(

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.

:psyduck:

Are you assuming everyone is going to stop playing within a month?

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

Inverness posted:

Yeah, this poo poo gets old. You see that bottom star?

That thing was 57 light-hours from everything else in the system:

(Oh and not the string of gas giants that aren't even orbiting a star, just loving off in deep space)

And all that scanning was worth 17k when I went to sell it. :negative:

Also, I'm assuming these two planets are orbiting each other? Not sure what else those funky lines could mean:

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Oh sorry, did the thread zeitgeist change where prices post-Asp are acceptable?

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Oh sorry, did the thread zeitgeist change where prices post-Asp are acceptable?

Could you expand on this please?

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011
Are ships 2 spensive or not

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
The prices go completely absurd after/at the Asp. They are batshit crazy high.
Incoming Bread Brigade telling us how they're perfectly fine because they managed to make x millions exploiting the ("thankfully closed") loopholes.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

peter gabriel posted:

Could you expand on this please?

My original comment re: Cobra was based on the idea that ship/component prices get absurdly expensive relative to player income. Thread consensus seems to be otherwise :shrug:

Although I guess I should change my statement to "The Asp is the best ship the average player will ever see."

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

My original comment re: Cobra was based on the idea that ship/component prices get absurdly expensive relative to player income. Thread consensus seems to be otherwise :shrug:

Although I guess I should change my statement to "The Asp is the best ship the average player will ever see."

If the Asp costs 6 million spacebucks and that huge loving system I posted above pays out 17k for survey data, welp :suicide:

XENA I LOVE YOU
Sep 11, 2010

Not gonna lie as much as I want a Clipper I don't think there's anyway in hell I'm going to make the money just shooting ships to afford it. And I really don't want to space truck to afford or maintain it. So unless the succession war is going to have high payouts I can't see many fighters in anything past a Asp.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

WarLocke posted:

(Oh and not the string of gas giants that aren't even orbiting a star, just loving off in deep space)

No, they're orbiting both the A and B star's gravitational balance point. :science:

• Locked thread