Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

evilalien
Jul 29, 2005

Knowledge is born from Curiosity.
I just finished up Wild Arms 1; thanks to the replies I got here that convinced me to give it a try. I'm not really a graphics whore but it took me a bit to get over the battle graphics because those are really ugly even by PSX standards, but everything else was enjoyable enough to keep me going through to the end. I especially enjoyed the soundtrack and the puzzle dungeons. Also thank god for the invisible spell because that showed up at about the time where I was getting sick of the random battles.

Onwards to Wild Arms 2 I suppose while I still have over 10 days left of vacation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
Wild Arms 2 has LORD BLAZER and Brad, both of whom are the best

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Gamma Nerd posted:

just got to the second disc of Xenosaga 3 and oh man, things are going in an... interesting direction. this game's plot is ridiculously fast paced, I'm impressed.

It's only fast paced because they shoved like at least 2 games worth of plot into the game, so they couldn't do their normal stretch-it-out-max poo poo they did in 1 and 2.

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012
The games would totally have been better if they had all been a storm of crazy poo poo constantly happening like this

The last 3 hours have had more stupid plot twists than a whole Kingdom Hearts game and it's loving amazing

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

MockingQuantum posted:

Oh, I definitely agree that the sprites age better, but as someone who is seeing them the first time, they're a beck of a lot better looking than a lot of ps1 games. They do look especially good in motion too. I think regardless, the game combines the two well, stylistically speaking. I'm looking forward to actually seeing this Scias character everyone says is so great. Also the other one, that half the people I talk to seem to despise.

When you get Scias, give him the twelve-hit move you get from the first Master in the Desert. Also, take the time to learn Burn off the early Mage Goos in the desert with Nina (just Guard through it with her and she'll learn it), then move it to Ryu with an Aurum at your campsite (the book inside the tent). Fire -> Wind is one of the first elemental combo spells and it hurts.

Levantine posted:

Yeah, I just don't think they've aged as well. Compare this:

to this

Despite the poor quality of the screenshot, I just think the first has aged better. Different strokes and all. I do think the character sprites in BOFIV look better overall though. Mostly Scias. Scias is great.

While I fully agree the sprites age better, it's not unknown for JRPG's to have regular enemies that size late-game. Using polygons for the bosses is a nice visual note that this fucker isn't just a miniboss and likely to kick your rear end. Plus some of them actually look pretty good for the time, like The Dice or Won-Qu and his twin.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Gamma Nerd posted:

The games would totally have been better if they had all been a storm of crazy poo poo constantly happening like this

The last 3 hours have had more stupid plot twists than a whole Kingdom Hearts game and it's loving amazing

Yup. If Xenosaga had been written from the start with a well paced script, it could have been a great series. A ton of chaff could have stood to be cut simply on the basis of it existing exclusively as anime cliches, anyway. Episode 3 still had its problems, partly as a result of them trying to salvage something out of the existing games that went absolutely nowhere, but it is easily the better of the games because of it. I should really go back and give that one a second whirl. I had a lot of fun with it.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Gamma Nerd posted:

just got to the second disc of Xenosaga 3 and oh man, things are going in an... interesting direction. this game's plot is ridiculously fast paced, I'm impressed.

The second disc of XS3 is basically "oh poo poo, we've got a bunch of loose ends to tie up... time to start killing people!"

Variant_Eris
Nov 2, 2014

Exhibition C: Colgate white smile

corn in the bible posted:

Wild Arms 2 has LORD BLAZER and Brad, both of whom are the best

This. Also, Tim can go take a dive in the ocean.

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012

Fister Roboto posted:

The second disc of XS3 is basically "oh poo poo, we've got a bunch of loose ends to tie up... time to start killing people!"

I am looking forward to this so much :allears: They've already killed off half the universe and the heroes are raiding the Death Star in Jesus-powered mechs, I'm anxious to see how things escalate.

The combat has pretty much become "break an enemy, Mind Down + Offensive, and spam ethers and boost on Momo" without much variation, but nuking 3/4 of a boss's lifebar away with magical girl lasers doesn't really get old.

Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012
The weirdest thing about Xenosaga III is that it came out in 2006 and it still uses the O button like PS1 games did.

I just got Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen, Summoner 2, Xenosaga III, Dragon Quest VIII and Dark Cloud 2 for Christmas. Which one should I play first?

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

Levantine posted:

Yeah, I just don't think they've aged as well. Compare this:

to this

Despite the poor quality of the screenshot, I just think the first has aged better. Different strokes and all. I do think the character sprites in BOFIV look better overall though. Mostly Scias. Scias is great.

The sprites have aged better but those 3D models are decent and would probably still fit in OK in a 3DS RPG. Definitely better than, say, Wild Arms 1.

Polite Tim
Sep 3, 2007
'insert witty Family Guy/ Futurama/ Simpsons/ Little fucking Britian etc quote here'

Celery Face posted:

The weirdest thing about Xenosaga III is that it came out in 2006 and it still uses the O button like PS1 games did.

I just got Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen, Summoner 2, Xenosaga III, Dragon Quest VIII and Dark Cloud 2 for Christmas. Which one should I play first?

Summoner 2 is arguably the weakest of the bunch, so I'd either play that first or last depending on what kind of experience you want to start with. If it were me I'd go for Dragon Quest because that's a fantastic game that's probably a bit too long but still worth playing

Dragon's Dogma is a phenomenal game too, really fun combat system and a terrifying open world.

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

The open world kind of falls apart when you realize that each encounter always (re)spawns in the same place. oh i guess i get to run through yet another chimera GOD

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Quest For Glory II posted:

I screwed myself with PS2 rpgs because there was that one point when Gamestop was clearing PS2 games out but I didn't know they were clearing them out, and at the time a lot of PS2 RPGs were going for... maybe 10 dollars at most? I mean Wild Arms 3 was like 3 bucks, Suikoden III was 3 bucks. Wish I was paying attention, coulda built a heck of a library for cheap.

I never personally saw Wild Arms in those sales but some gamestops still carry PS2 games for those prices. And they still stock the RPGs because a few months ago I picked a few of them up.

But their original clearance PS2 holiday sale was like Buy 2 get 2 Free or whatever and things were discounted 75% off. It was pretty insane because I wound up buying around 70 games for just a little bit under 100 bucks when they were tossing out their PS2 stuff.

Their gamecube sale was like that too, and I wound up with the entire library of Gamecube exclusive RPGs and ports.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Celery Face posted:

All Japanese games use O as confirm, most have that changed during localisation but it wasn't quite as common in the PS1 period.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

bloodychill posted:

The sprites have aged better but those 3D models are decent and would probably still fit in OK in a 3DS RPG. Definitely better than, say, Wild Arms 1.

Agreed, but to be fair literally any 3D model is better than WA1. :v:

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Tonfa posted:

The open world kind of falls apart when you realize that each encounter always (re)spawns in the same place. oh i guess i get to run through yet another chimera GOD

Yeah, Dragon's Dogma has some pretty glaring faults, but it somehow manages to have its own charm and ended up at one of my all time favorites of the generation. Dark Arisen dungeon crawling was especially rad.

Dr. Eldarion
Mar 21, 2001

Deal Dispatcher

Sakurazuka posted:

All Japanese games use O as confirm, most have that changed during localisation but it wasn't quite as common in the PS1 period.

It makes a lot of sense when you think about the icons themselves - "O" for yes and "X" for no is very straightforward if you imagine selecting things on a sheet of paper or something.

That said, I'm happy they changed it up for us because hitting "O" a bunch of times is less comfortable than "X".

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
if they hadn't changed it at all we would just be using that system now.

i wonder why they figured x as confirm was better

stoutfish
Oct 8, 2012

by zen death robot
circle button master race

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
I can't be the only who is pissed that there isn't an Ys bundle on Steam.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

punk rebel ecks posted:

I can't be the only who is pissed that there isn't an Ys bundle on Steam.

I'm hoping one pops up before the holiday sale ends. They almost always do one during a big sale. I've held off for so long that at the prices they are now (Felghana 7.99 and Origins 9.99) they're still a steal.

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

So I'm in the mood for a good sci-fi RPG. It's really quite disappointing how rare sci-fi settings are compared to fantasy settings.

I've finished (I'm sure I'm going to forget a bunch):
Xenogears
Xenosaga games
Xenoblade
Anachronox
Deus Ex
KOTOR games
Mass Effect
Star Ocean games
Final Fantasy games

Are there any good sci-fi RPGs that I'm missing?

Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

Omikron? It's on sale on GOG for $2.50 right now.

Edit: There's also Infinite Space on DS, I hear that's good.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Shakugan posted:

So I'm in the mood for a good sci-fi RPG. It's really quite disappointing how rare sci-fi settings are compared to fantasy settings.

Xenogears
Xenosaga games
Xenoblade
Anachronox
Deus Ex
KOTOR games
Mass Effect
Star Ocean games
Final Fantasy games

Shadowrun Dragonfall is what you're looking for. (Make sure to get the directors cut edition and not Shadowrun Returns)

BloodWulfe
Mar 18, 2003

Armor-Piercing posted:

It's not, really, and I put a ton of hours into it because I wanted it to be good. It's slow and plodding and grindy and most of the depth is just an illusion.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

dmboogie posted:

Shadowrun Dragonfall is what you're looking for. (Make sure to get the directors cut edition and not Shadowrun Returns)

This is pretty good advice. Dragonfall is a really good game.

I've been playing Sword Art Online and you guys were right about the translation being shamefully incoherent. I've been bumming around with different party members, trying to level them up. Leafa and Sinon especially needed some help there. I see that you can party up with lots of non-main characters too. Is there any advantage to that or do you do that just to level up? I tried solo multiplayer for a bit and while the monsters were pretty tough, a party of four were able to bring them down one at a time. I got about a level per encounter for the lowbies and when Kirito finally died, I got booted out with all my exp intact, so that was nice.

Beyond that, I'm sort of lost. There are "Implements" I can do, but can I only do those during Hollow Missions? Are they worth focusing on?

oblomov
Jun 20, 2002

Meh... #overrated

Armor-Piercing posted:

Omikron? It's on sale on GOG for $2.50 right now.

I was just about to mention that, great game. Also Rogue Galaxy on PS2 is kind of sci-fi, so is Strange Journey. Also, Septra Core (sp?), an older PC RPG is pretty good.

BloodWulfe
Mar 18, 2003

oblomov posted:

Also, Septra Core (sp?), an older PC RPG is pretty good.

Septerra Core. And if you can handle clunky old PC RPG design, it's pretty drat fun. I bought it for 0.99 on Steam last month and re-played it (I haven't played it since it first came out). Holds up surprisingly well, all things considered. :)

e:
it went up in price a whole quarter lmao http://store.steampowered.com/app/253940/

e2:
it's not an epic space opera sorta deal like Xenosaga or Star Ocean (or Rogue Galaxy), but it is definitely sci-fi

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Shakugan posted:

Xenogears
Xenosaga games
Xenoblade
Anachronox
Deus Ex
KOTOR games
Mass Effect
Star Ocean games
Final Fantasy games

I note a distinct lack of Phantasy Star IV on this list.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

http://rpgmaker.net/forums/topics/14780/

im gonna try all of these in order its gonna own

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

a good idea, except instead of playing them in order, you should start at Exit Fate, then also stop at Exit Fate

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Shakugan posted:

Xenogears
Xenosaga games
Xenoblade
Anachronox
Deus Ex
KOTOR games
Mass Effect
Star Ocean games
Final Fantasy games

Wild Arms is kind of a mix of sci-fi and wild west? Think Trigun if you ever watched that.

Also, there's the phantasy star series, though those toe the line between fantasy and sci-fi.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Cake Attack posted:

a good idea, except instead of playing them in order, you should start at Exit Fate, then also stop at Exit Fate

gently caress exit fate

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

haha oh no

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Cake Attack posted:

How does Exit Fate rank in comparison to a professionally produced RPG?

Snyderman
Feb 23, 2005

Cake Attack posted:

OFF is neat and Space Funeral is short enough that it's worth a play. I've heard Yume Nikki is good but I've never played it.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Also gently caress BoF IV's hide and seek game, though it wasn't as bad as I was expecting based on what people were saying about it earlier.

Punch Card
Sep 13, 2005

by Ralp
I Miss the Sunrise has more of a strategy element to it but it fits and it's really pretty cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

MockingQuantum posted:

How does Exit Fate rank in comparison to a professionally produced RPG?

it's the second or third best suikoden game