Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

anthonypants posted:

What Facebook calls a "like", Google+ calls a "+1".

Right, but this is on the community's icon when you view your communities, not on a particular post. Does that display new +1s as well? I thought it was just new content.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007
put the 'the' in therapist

:dukedog:

hooah posted:

Every so often, the Google+ community for this app will have a little "1" on it, but when I go to the community, there aren't any new posts. Anyone know why?

it's just informing you of someone's vote on your posts

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Acer Pilot posted:

it's just informing you of someone's vote on your posts

That shows up in the notification menu in the upper right though, I thought? I'm taking about a badge on the community's icon.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

hooah posted:

That shows up in the notification menu in the upper right though, I thought? I'm taking about a badge on the community's icon.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

anthonypants posted:

I already said I understand that. But I wasn't aware this view showed +1s, since otherwise it seems like the Science on G+ number would be a lot higher:

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

hooah posted:

I already said I understand that. But I wasn't aware this view showed +1s, since otherwise it seems like the Science on G+ number would be a lot higher:

You are right and that poster is dumb.

Also G+ is dumb and shows random things, no idea, sorry :/

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

hooah posted:

There is always a 1 badge on the Awful community for me. It's been that way forever despite no new posts since Nov 9, 2013. All other communities work fine for me with the activity badge so I just chalk it up to something being hosed up with that particular community.

Why don't you post something in there so the number will be bumped?

Lord Waffle Beard
Dec 7, 2013

Sereri posted:

There's like 0 chance I'm even starting on implementing posting threads when people still somehow manage to make posts in wrong threads. I'd rather have Awful.apk be the app that can't make threads than be the apps that autobans people.

Thats a pretty stupid reason

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

hooah posted:

Neither of those things show the +1 you're talking about.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

anthonypants posted:

Neither of those things show the +1 you're talking about.

I never said it was a plus one. That was the other guy who was repeating himself.

Edit: I was on my phone. It's you, you're the repetitious goon.

hooah fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Jan 1, 2015

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

hooah posted:

I never said it was a plus one. That was the other guy who was repeating himself.

Edit: I was on my phone. It's you, you're the repetitious goon.
It doesn't have a 1 on it, either.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

anthonypants posted:

It doesn't have a 1 on it, either.

Right, because I went to it to try to find out why the 1 was there. Sometimes it's there, sometimes it's not. That's what I'm trying to figure out.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Lord Waffle Beard posted:

Thats a pretty stupid reason

Thank you for your opinion. I will take it into consideration.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Sereri posted:

Now come on, don't discourage the Awfuler fork project

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Sereri posted:

Just implement it in way that allows new posts to be created only in GBS.

Problem solved!

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Very silly question, but when posting from my phone, how do I include a picture I've taken with my phone? I'm used to the apple app, so I'm re-learning.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

10 Beers posted:

Very silly question, but when posting from my phone, how do I include a picture I've taken with my phone? I'm used to the apple app, so I'm re-learning.

Press the menu thing in the top right and select add file attachment

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

stickyfngrdboy posted:

Press the menu thing in the top right and select add file attachment

Whenever I do that, the picture doesn't show up.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010
Oh idk then, sorry. I just use imgur or minus anyway.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010
Although that one was attached with no prob, apparently

Gentwise
Sep 12, 2003
Gentwise Bankfourthe, Esquire.

Sereri posted:

Everyone will.

I just checked, they deleted the info text for Let's play except for the -

Now the app looks for a text that's no longer there and throws an exception, causing it to not load the forum.

I wish I was kidding.

So is there some way to nicely ask the mods to change that back? It seems like a really simple change if I'm understanding you right.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

stickyfngrdboy posted:

Although that one was attached with no prob, apparently
When attaching an image to a forum post there is a lag before it shows up, it's an issue with the forums itself and can't be fixed in Awful. It does work, just give it a minute and then refresh.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

How do I reset the pop-up we get when clicking images? I accidentally double tapped and now images I click are automatically opening in a browser instead of prompting me for what to do.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Nth Doctor posted:

How do I reset the pop-up we get when clicking images? I accidentally double tapped and now images I click are automatically opening in a browser instead of prompting me for what to do.
Settings -> Apps -> find the app that's being opened -> scroll down -> click that button

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

anthonypants posted:

Settings -> Apps -> find the app that's being opened -> scroll down -> click that button

Wrong thread, it's settings -> posts -> Always open (all the way down)

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Sereri posted:

Wrong thread, it's settings -> posts -> Always open (all the way down)

Thanks!

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

I think there's a urldecode too many or something in the parsing code - I changed my title yesterday and suddenly I can't scroll past the header of my first post in a page.

Alternatively I should have guessed that it would break things and just replace it with something less destructive.

Computer viking fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Jan 12, 2015

Long John Silvers
Apr 17, 2013

Computer viking posted:

I think there's a urldecode too many or something in the parsing code - I changed my title yesterday and suddenly I can't scroll past the header of my first post in a page.

Alternatively I should have guessed that it would break things and just replace it with something less destructive.

You also broke this thread

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Only if you're reading it with the mobile app.

I'll change it when I get home.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Oh, that's what happened.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

hooah posted:

Oh, that's what happened.

Yeah. Sorry about that.

WAY TO GO WAMPA!!
Oct 27, 2007

:slick: :slick: :slick: :slick:
I like the new Keep Screen On option but is it intended for it to disable every time you close/change the app?

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

WAY TO GO WAMPA!! posted:

I like the new Keep Screen On option but is it intended for it to disable every time you close/change the app?

That 'new' option is almost 2 years old, and yes, it is designed to do exactly that.

WAY TO GO WAMPA!!
Oct 27, 2007

:slick: :slick: :slick: :slick:

Sereri posted:

That 'new' option is almost 2 years old, and yes, it is designed to do exactly that.
First time I'm seeing it in the 3 dot menu, figured it was new.

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

Does anyone else have an issue where anything that it's posted from the clipboard into a post gets spaces automatically added on either side? It often breaks URL tags if I don't notice and it ends up putting in something like this:
code:
[url=" [url]www.google.com[/url] "][/url]

Using Swype (built-in, I think) on a stock rooted Samsung Galaxy S4.

Edit: posting from the app, and it keeps adding an extra set of URL tags even when I edit the post to remove them. Ignore them and focus on the spaces inside the quotes, where I pasted the URL. Pretend these are square brackets:
code:
{url=" [url]www.google.com[/url] "}Link text{/url}

Edit 2: gently caress it even that didn't work. Probably another bug at play here

SpelledBackwards fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Jan 13, 2015

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

The extra url tags being added within code tags is a forums side issue, at least, because that happens within a pc browser as well.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!
e: wrong thread

The Dark One fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Jan 13, 2015

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

Flipperwaldt posted:

The extra url tags being added within code tags is a forums side issue, at least, because that happens within a pc browser as well.

It's the "automatically parse URLs" option you can tick when posting. Maybe the app should expose that checkbox?

Or implement a whole BBcode parser and do it properly on the client-side!

Actually I'd totally help with that. It nails the "over-engineered feature" and "solves a self-inflicted problem" principles that underlie the Awful brand.

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

pokeyman posted:

It's the "automatically parse URLs" option you can tick when posting. Maybe the app should expose that checkbox?

Or implement a whole BBcode parser and do it properly on the client-side!

Actually I'd totally help with that. It nails the "over-engineered feature" and "solves a self-inflicted problem" principles that underlie the Awful brand.

A fair point. Still, what's up with the pasting issue? It's not just within tags that it does that, and it makes precision cut/copy/pasting a pain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

As of a few days ago, app keeps signing me out at random moments for random intervals, and I don't have a clue why. Internet connection is present and functional at all times this happen. What happens, basically, is "loading failed" on any action, so my current way to solve this is press back button a few times until I get into main menu, then open the app again and log in. This one, repeated dozen or so times, usually lets me get it. It logs in every time, but it's always "loading failed" so I just back out, fire it up again and login again. I'm not sure if issue is with something on my phone or with the app, and neither am I sure in what information I should provide so the post is of any use. Phone is Nexus 5, Android 5.0.1, baseband version M8974A-2.0.50.2.22, kernel version 3.4.0-g88fbc66 (android-built@vpbs1.mtv.corp.google.com #1 Mon Oct 20 22:18:31 UTC 2014), build number LRX22C. Awful version is 3.1.2b. Also, it more seems that issue is time locked, X number of logins resolving it seems dumb. If that's the case, I'd eyeball 10 or so minutes.