Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Rent-A-Cop posted:

Reminder that one of those hyper-local citizen patrols "dealt with" Trayvon Martin.
Yeah, good point! But lone, armed vigilantes is a really, really bad idea regardless.

computer parts posted:

I wouldn't say that's inherently true, or else you wouldn't get these hyper balkanized communities like Ferguson et all.

The issue is really that in areas with unrest there's a lot of public support (at least usually*) for oppressing minorities, and there's a large disinterest in consolidation of police to some higher level (state, national, etc).

*NYC being the exception, although that seems to be an issue of institutional inertia rather than everyone (outside of Staten Island) saying "gently caress the blacks".
Can't speak much for NYC. But Ferguson is a situation where the police are mostly white and from outside the community they're policing. Anyways, I'm probably gonna jump off this hobby horse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Omi-Polari posted:

That's a good point. But would increasing police-citizen interaction make those interactions better? I'm not so sure.

And this isn't unprecedented. The kinds of organizations I'm talking about (like Shomrim) already exist and are unarmed. We talk about black self-government and self-policing, but people seem really scared of what that would look like in practice. But why not?

The basic existence for Shomrim (at least in Israel) seems to be to prevent miscegenation so I don't know if that's the best example.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

Omi-Polari posted:

It's basically hyper-local "cops" who people can call to deal with stuff. If the local militia (or volunteer patrol, or whatever you want to call them) think the situation needs the formal police, then they can call them. They'd get informal training from the police. They'd have them on speed dial. It's not rocket science.

If one of these groups dealt with Eric Garner instead of the NYPD, the situation might've turned out differently. Or maybe not. But the general idea is that the citizen's groups have much less leeway when it comes to using force.

I remember when I was in the Castro in S.F. and talked to two men who were part of a gay men's street patrol. They had uniforms and gave me a whistle to blow (har har) in case I got into trouble. And they had a number I could dial. I liked the idea.

Soooo when you called the number you got vigilantes?
Or what?

I mean let's say you needed the whistle and the number. What then?

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

Rent-A-Cop posted:

Yeah but those countries aren't America, and America has yet to find a problem it can't solve with union busting and militias.

I mean, it worked so well in Central America for all those years. Why shouldn't it work in NYC?

It is great though, here we are discussing union busting and militias as solutions to police abuse.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Vahakyla posted:

Or what?

I don't actually know, because I never had to. Here's what it looks like:

http://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/local/Castro-Community-to-Beef-Up-Neighborhood-Patrols-After-San-Francisco-Pride-Attacks-266361661.html

The main thing is presence and just keeping up appearances. The other thing is there's reluctance in the gay community to report crimes directly to the police for various reasons. You don't want to risk being re-victimized, or your report not being taken seriously. This is definitely on the soft-end of community policing. Shomrim up in New York gets a little more "handsy" from what I'm reading. Reminds me of this:

http://www.theonion.com/articles/fox-defends-airing-of-when-jews-attack,907/

Although I've read about gay vigilantes back in the 1970s who'd use chains to whip gay bashers. Before my time and a bit antiquated now.

But the basic lesson is that if you're a minority in America, you can't expect the police forces to protect you to the same extent it does other people. They might not take what happened to you seriously. Worse, they might pose a danger to you. That isn't the way it should be. It's just the way it is.

Vahakyla posted:

It is great though, here we are discussing union busting and militias as solutions to police abuse.
I'm not thinking about solutions. We Americans are obsessed with solutions. You could call it solutionism. People are talking about body cameras. I mean, really. What if there is no solution? No, what I'm saying is that there are things communities can do to insulate themselves from the police within reasonable limits (although police are still needed to handle actual, serious crimes throughout every community).

BrutalistMcDonalds fucked around with this message at 07:33 on Jan 6, 2015

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Shbobdb posted:

By forming a group dedicated to upholding justice and self-defense? Also, provide free school lunches.

The Followers of the Apocalypse?

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Omi-Polari posted:

The main thing is presence and just keeping up appearances. The other thing is there's reluctance in the gay community to report crimes directly to the police for various reasons. You don't want to risk being re-victimized, or your report not being taken seriously. This is definitely on the soft-end of community policing. Shomrim up in New York gets a little more "handsy" from what I'm reading.
... What if there is no solution? No, what I'm saying is that there are things communities can do to insulate themselves from the police within reasonable limits (although police are still needed to handle actual, serious crimes throughout every community).

I was thinking about this idea. I'm skeptical of state-based community patrols, or patrols that are otherwise tied closely to police departments -- they'd probably just end up echoing the problems a community has with the real police. But I did think that unarmed, ground-up community organizations might be a helpful thing to have, and one of my reasons for thinking so was that people who are rightfully hesitant to go to the police might be more willing to go to a group that is made up of, and beholden to, the local community. They could be a police alternative for things like property crimes and conflict resolution. I don't know that it would work, but I think in some places it could.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Sharkie posted:

I was thinking about this idea. I'm skeptical of state-based community patrols, or patrols that are otherwise tied closely to police departments -- they'd probably just end up echoing the problems a community has with the real police. But I did think that unarmed, ground-up community organizations might be a helpful thing to have, and one of my reasons for thinking so was that people who are rightfully hesitant to go to the police might be more willing to go to a group that is made up of, and beholden to, the local community. They could be a police alternative for things like property crimes and conflict resolution. I don't know that it would work, but I think in some places it could.
Yeah. They do echo some of the problems, see below:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FEKhgBye5K0

But there might also be some advantages. Okay the Jewish vigilantes are pricks. Are they bigger pricks than the cops? But really I'm just being contrarian and throwing an idea out there and running with it. And I get to be to the left of D&D for once. Black militias in Ferguson!

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
Militias are pretty right, I'd say.

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Vahakyla posted:

Militias are pretty right, I'd say.

Eh, it depends on what they're militant about and their actions. Black panthers, for instance.

Gum
Mar 9, 2008

oho, a rapist
time to try this puppy out
Yeah, the perfect solution for an unaccountable-in-practice police force is an unaccountable-even-in-theory private militia

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Sharkie posted:

Eh, it depends on what they're militant about and their actions. Black panthers, for instance.
I'm not even really talking about militant anything. A lot of "white" communities - or disproportionately wealthy and white communities - have police auxiliaries. Their responsibilities tend to fall on the low-end of patrolling church picnics, and when they get really brave, responding to minor fender benders. They're also pretty well-financed. They've got their own cruisers and things.

^ I don't know if that last image has anything to do with one of these, but it came up in Google so might as well :justpost:

Gum posted:

Yeah, the perfect solution for an unaccountable-in-practice police force is an unaccountable-even-in-theory private militia
Well, you'd have the actual police function as a check on them. In theory. Again, it's all about dividing powers and creating layers. I mean, that's basically the American-patented solution for an oppressive regime. And a lot of folks in Ferguson just want the police loving gone.

Gum posted:

As the poets known as Sum 41 once said: There's no solution.

BrutalistMcDonalds fucked around with this message at 08:32 on Jan 6, 2015

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

SedanChair posted:

The Followers of the Apocalypse?

Right idea, wrong superhero:

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

The issue with police unions is that the police officers seem to view racist policies as necessary for them to stay safe on the job. They're not unique in this, and a large number of politicians and a substantial portion of the public seem to support them. Unions asking for safer conditions tend to want things like better equipment, support, or rest that only have the potential to hurt their employers profits. The NYPD want to maintain their ability to kill people with impunity, which often hurts the very people they're supposed to be protecting. Scrapping police unions won't actually solve any of the hosed up societal issues that cause them to be lovely. However, supporting them simply because they're a union is also misguided.

If 100 years ago Pinkerton detectives organized to demand higher wages, and then returned to strike breaking afterwards I don't think we (or at least the left) would remember them any more fondly.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
That's basically it. Unions are good. Cops are bad. Cop unions aren't bad because they are unions, they are bad because they are cops.

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Omi-Polari posted:

I remember when I was in the Castro in S.F. and talked to two men who were part of a gay men's street patrol. They had uniforms and gave me a whistle to blow (har har) in case I got into trouble. And they had a number I could dial. I liked the idea.

There's also an SF chapter of the Guardian Angels. I've seen them a few times over the years, but it's not like they're out there that often.

And on the topic of law enforcement in SF...does any other city have something similar to the SF Patrol Special Police?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/San_Francisco_Patrol_Special_Police

quote:

San Francisco Patrol Special Police is a neighborhood police force authorized in San Francisco's City Charter but not part of the San Francisco Police Department. Rather they are unsworn officers, private citizens, appointed and regulated by the San Francisco Police Commission after an initial security review by the San Francisco Police Department. They are assigned, or purchase, a specific area, or beat and charge private clients hourly rates for a variety of services.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

Shbobdb posted:

That's basically it. Unions are good. Cops are bad. Cop unions aren't bad because they are unions, they are bad because they are cops.

But likewise cops don't get away with corruptions because unions any more than they get away with murder because defense attorneys. They get away with both because we as a society are pretty much cool with it, and not union busting or department reform or retraining or any of this poo poo will make up for the fact that citizens do not have the courage and motivation to call officers to account.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.

Rah! posted:

There's also an SF chapter of the Guardian Angels. I've seen them a few times over the years, but it's not like they're out there that often.

And on the topic of law enforcement in SF...does any other city have something similar to the SF Patrol Special Police?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/San_Francisco_Patrol_Special_Police

That's an odd one. It sounds like they're doing private security? In a lot of cities off-duty cops will do that sort of work with government permission. They're armed though.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Since my choice is basically zero unions, with a very weak teacher's union and an insanely strong police union, or no unions, I choose no unions.

The instant a single police union in the entire nation does anything in solidarity with another non-police union, I will change my tune.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

30.5 Days posted:

But likewise cops don't get away with corruptions because unions any more than they get away with murder because defense attorneys. They get away with both because we as a society are pretty much cool with it, and not union busting or department reform or retraining or any of this poo poo will make up for the fact that citizens do not have the courage and motivation to call officers to account.

So what are "we" supposed to do about it? Write our congressman? Get gassed and harassed in the streets? Vote Green?

I'm tired of people blaming me, as a member of society, over something I have no control over. "We" didn't do poo poo, and "we" hate each other.

Branis
Apr 14, 2006

Radbot posted:

Since my choice is basically zero unions, with a very weak teacher's union and an insanely strong police union, or no unions, I choose no unions.

The instant a single police union in the entire nation does anything in solidarity with another non-police union, I will change my tune.

madison wisconsin budget repair bill protests 2011 Madison PD walked with the protestors and the chief said he wasn't gonna be clearing people out.

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.
Have we discussed that the FOP has asked Congress to expand the Hate Crimes Act of 1969 to cover targeted killings of police?

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

Depends on what you mean by "society". If you mean "the elites in coalition with white racists" then sure. But from where I'm sitting, I wouldn't conflate that coalition with "society".

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

That's okay though because it turns out police are totally not racist against blacks, and actually, if anything, are racist against whites. (the research in question)

Woozy
Jan 3, 2006
Modern police actually do tend to treat other unions with kid gloves come protest time, although probably only because their fists are tired from brutalizing and terrorizing other species of activist.

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Xandu posted:

That's an odd one. It sounds like they're doing private security? In a lot of cities off-duty cops will do that sort of work with government permission. They're armed though.

Yeah it seems like they're some kind of weird cross between police and security guards.

These guys are armed too though (they buy their own guns/uniforms/etc), and apparently had the same powers as any other cop until 1994, when the SFPD stripped their ability to give out citations or book arrests on their own (the SFPD seems to have never liked the patrol specials much...maybe mad at the competition for what they see as security jobs that should belong to off duty officers instead?). They also used to have uniforms basically identical to SFPD officers, but several years ago the SFPD required them to switch to different ones. They still look like cops though, just not normal SFPD officers. I see them sometimes, but there aren't too many of them (wikipedia says there were 40 as of 2011). I always thought it was a weird/interesting police/pseudo-police force.

Rah! fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Jan 6, 2015

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Rah! posted:

Yeah it seems like they're some kind of weird cross between police and security guards.

These guys are armed too though (they buy their own guns/uniforms/etc), and apparently had the same powers as any other cop until 1994, when the SFPD stripped their ability to give out citations or book arrests on their own (the SFPD seems to have never liked the patrol specials much...maybe mad at the competition for what they see as security jobs that should belong to off duty officers instead?). They also used to have uniforms basically identical to SFPD officers, but several years ago the SFPD required them to switch to different ones. They still look like cops though, just not normal SFPD officers. I see them sometimes, but there aren't too many of them (wikipedia says there were 40 as of 2011). I always thought it was a weird/interesting police/pseudo-police force.

I know here in MA you're required to hire police details for many things (like the cops you see at events, the organizer is paying to have them there). I'm guessing this is just a special department that only does that, and the regular cops probably also hate them because details is where you make big money on overtime.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Jarmak posted:

I know here in MA you're required to hire police details for many things (like the cops you see at events, the organizer is paying to have them there). I'm guessing this is just a special department that only does that, and the regular cops probably also hate them because details is where you make big money on overtime.

They might do that too, but they also patrol the streets and check in with the SFPD police commander for their area when they go on duty.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Trabisnikof posted:

They might do that too, but they also patrol the streets and check in with the SFPD police commander for their area when they go on duty.

Oh, I must have misunderstood then, that is weird

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

I think you'll find this movie explains everything you need to know about the patrol specials.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Cop shoots himself in the stomach fiddling around with his gun like a dumbass.

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

It's simply amazing how retarded people can be with firearms.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Did he even know that woman or was he just showing off to some random person in the elevator?

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

SedanChair posted:

Did he even know that woman or was he just showing off to some random person in the elevator?
That was his wife. They were at a shopping mall in Cincinnati IIRC.

repeating
Nov 14, 2005

Rent-A-Cop posted:

That was his wife. They were at a shopping mall in Cincinnati IIRC.

His body language right before the shot is just...perfect.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Rah! posted:

Given the low numbers, I wouln't be surprised if it was the SF version of reserve deputies; a way for the people who know the right people to get a badge for the purpose of exercising privileges given to Law Enforcement Officers.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
I think I have a quick-fix low cost solution to all this business of police reform.

Just rename "police" to "militia". Also get rid of that "protect and serve" slogan.

You don't need to do anything else because the rest is already in place and people can adopt the proper mindsets.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Just another reminder that police guns really should be in a locked compartment in their patrol cars.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Vahakyla posted:

Or what?

Say what you want, but if we had Gay Batman on speed dial, the world would truly be a better place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Just another reminder that police guns really should be in a locked compartment in their patrol cars.

Wait, I thought this was a reminder that patrol officers should be disarmed completely :confused:

• Locked thread