Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay

Kilometers Davis posted:

Santa brought me an Afterneath. In the next few days I'm going to have to post a lot about this thing because it's insane. I've never had a first day with a pedal this inspiring. It's a dream for anything from GY!BE to Twin Peaks to whatever insane black hole in a cave in the belly of a monolithic ancient creature influenced jams you want to come up with.

Ughhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh I am waiting so hard for people to start selling their stuff used cause this pedallllll GY!BE is my jam. But please keep me updated in particular how it can be used with non "etheral-uh-oh-i-am-floating-in-space" type of sounds. cause i got my dispatch master for that but seriously those two pedals together could be stupid awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Smash it Smash hit posted:

Ughhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh I am waiting so hard for people to start selling their stuff used cause this pedallllll GY!BE is my jam. But please keep me updated in particular how it can be used with non "etheral-uh-oh-i-am-floating-in-space" type of sounds. cause i got my dispatch master for that but seriously those two pedals together could be stupid awesome.

For whatever reason I expected it to be like 99% crazy out there niche sounds and maybe 1% subtle reasonable sounds but it has really surprised me in regards to its versatility. It can pull off a lot of nice subtle echoes and trails. If you like hall/church reverb you can get that, and the ability to have a sharp trailing burst of delays can give you a lot of ideas and allow you to layer the effect however you want. It's very inspiring, even while playing an open note and dialing in new ideas.

This sounds like I'm being paid but this is a pedal that I've never experienced or even thought about before. It's not a delay or reverb like I'm used to seeing and when you get the chance to play with it you'll get what I mean. The way it responds to a hard attack, pick scrapes, harmonics, etc is wonderful. Also letting it self oscillate while moving the drag knob will throw you right into some old school horror/scifi sounds better than any pedal I've owned.

tl;dr it's a legendary pedal for soundtracks/post rock/shoegaze/atmospheric metal and absolutely usable for more down to earth reasonable sounds. Even dialed in a weird surf tone yesterday.

My one negative, and to be honest this hardly matters considering it doesn't happen on the more subtle settings, is that it's noisy. You'll get some static and hissing but it doesn't distract or take over the sound at all.

e: if you or anyone else has specific questions please let me know, I'll try to answer. There's not a ton of info around the Internet and while the few video demos are fantastic they're not always the best way to learn about a pedal with controls like this.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

massive spider posted:

Anywhere you like. They can go before gain for bette tracking and a more natural sound but whammys have a more dramatic effect post gain.

i'm really digging the whammy post-od by dint of the fact that it's now also post-delay which makes it turbo-sickness

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

PSA:

I know most of the people here who wanted one probably already got it (including me) after Agreed and iostream's raves, but MF's stupid deal of the day is the Moog MF Drive for $99.

havelock
Jan 20, 2004

IGNORE ME
Soiled Meat

Schpyder posted:

PSA:

I know most of the people here who wanted one probably already got it (including me) after Agreed and iostream's raves, but MF's stupid deal of the day is the Moog MF Drive for $99.

Arg you're killing me. I don't need this.

Edit: bought. This thread is now responsible for my MF Drive and the Hardwire Supernatural reverb I got a few months ago.

havelock fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Dec 30, 2014

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
Ugh, my next purchase was gonna be a nice fuzz, I'm agonizing here.

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay
gently caress you Kilometer, just bought an afterneath. ugh.

so probably going to have a dispatch master up for sale soon, anyone interested? prob like 150 shipped to continental US

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

:lol: owned

You're gonna dig it though. It's special.

If I wasn't in the middle of a pedal juggling act I would probably grab that DM off ya. I can't get enough EQD. If anyone's curious I could post some kinda words about their Arrow pedal. I've had it for a few weeks now and it's completely booted out my EP Booster and OD boosts. I can hardly play with it off now and I've never been an always on guy when it comes to pedals.

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay

Kilometers Davis posted:

:lol: owned

You're gonna dig it though. It's special.

If I wasn't in the middle of a pedal juggling act I would probably grab that DM off ya. I can't get enough EQD. If anyone's curious I could post some kinda words about their Arrow pedal. I've had it for a few weeks now and it's completely booted out my EP Booster and OD boosts. I can hardly play with it off now and I've never been an always on guy when it comes to pedals.

yeah well the mixture of your stupid albeit encouraging words, and me joining this epic post rock band that basically wants me to do ambience, I have to get it.

already ebayed the DM so I don't feel bad for spending 300 bux on a whim for the afterneath and magnatron bridge pickup but, good news is I will be on twangy shimmer city and may float off into space soon.

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay
I got mah Afterneath but, I maybe looking to grab a RV7 for some more conventional reverb needs, was looking at the Supernatural but, no no no, i dont need that ambience.

edit: Any opinions on the RV7 or recommendations for spring-ish reverb at a similar price point?

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

The RV-7 is a pretty good workhorse. Doubt I'll ever get rid of mine.

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay

Gorgar posted:

The RV-7 is a pretty good workhorse. Doubt I'll ever get rid of mine.

Yeah, I keep looking up other pedals on different boards and everyone ends up going to that dude.

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay
but that supernatural reverb just looks so sexy....

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I absolutely swear I'm not some kind of guy who attempts wallet assassinations on a weekly basis but what do you think about the Hall of Fame? I've tried to convince myself it's not as good at is but there's not a single "normal" reverb I've heard that beats it. The spring is even much better than most pedal springs.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Its pretty cool brah.

Honestly most reverbs out these days are good, so its just matter of your preferred flavour.

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

but that supernatural reverb just looks so sexy....

I've got both, and was going to offer to compare the spring reverb settings, but now I can't find either of them.

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay

Gorgar posted:

I've got both, and was going to offer to compare the spring reverb settings, but now I can't find either of them.

That would be sick, I am sitting on some Ebay auctions right now for both. From what I understand is that the SN spring reverb is a bit too long for conventional use?

Kilo, its cool! I owed myself a christmas gift originally. For some reason, I never liked TC Electronic pedals, they aren't bad by any means but, just never seem to fit my style. I've tried flashback and their chorus/vibrato and - meh.

Turkey Farts
Jan 4, 2013

Kilometers Davis posted:

I absolutely swear I'm not some kind of guy who attempts wallet assassinations on a weekly basis but what do you think about the Hall of Fame? I've tried to convince myself it's not as good at is but there's not a single "normal" reverb I've heard that beats it. The spring is even much better than most pedal springs.

I picked one up to cover traditional reverb types (e.g. not ambience) and it is phenomenal. The toneprint feature is actually incredibly useful. The price they go for used ($100) seems well worth it to me.

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

That would be sick, I am sitting on some Ebay auctions right now for both. From what I understand is that the SN spring reverb is a bit too long for conventional use?

Ok, found them both. A/B test results: there's quite a bit of control on the RV-7 on the minimal end. That is, you can get just a little bit of reverb, and you can vary that with Level, Decay and Liveliness. The Supernatural has the same controls (Level = Mix, more or less), but it sounds haunting no matter what you do with it, and there's a lot less variation on the minimal end. It sounds a little bit like a Super Reverb in a cave. It's pretty cool, but minimizing it sounds like you're moving the mic farther from the Super Reverb and dropping the gain on it, and mixing in dry signal. You have to just about zero out Liveliness and Decay just to get in the ballpark, then adjust the Mix. It's not really for minimizing, whereas the RV-7 is. So if you really want a lot of control over minimalist reverb, you probably need both. Because:

I hadn't even used the Supernatural yet, as I'd stopped playing for a while when I got it. That thing is goddamn transcendant.

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay

Gorgar posted:

Ok, found them both. A/B test results: there's quite a bit of control on the RV-7 on the minimal end. That is, you can get just a little bit of reverb, and you can vary that with Level, Decay and Liveliness. The Supernatural has the same controls (Level = Mix, more or less), but it sounds haunting no matter what you do with it, and there's a lot less variation on the minimal end. It sounds a little bit like a Super Reverb in a cave. It's pretty cool, but minimizing it sounds like you're moving the mic farther from the Super Reverb and dropping the gain on it, and mixing in dry signal. You have to just about zero out Liveliness and Decay just to get in the ballpark, then adjust the Mix. It's not really for minimizing, whereas the RV-7 is. So if you really want a lot of control over minimalist reverb, you probably need both. Because:

I hadn't even used the Supernatural yet, as I'd stopped playing for a while when I got it. That thing is goddamn transcendant.

hm thought I responded to this..

any who main question is, which would give me that heavy reverb surf action without mudding up/cut through well enough?

I hear the SN's spring is a but dark and long trails and depending on the way it layers, I can see that getting mad muddy/lost in the mix.

thanks a ton dude

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Turkey Farts posted:

I picked one up to cover traditional reverb types (e.g. not ambience) and it is phenomenal. The toneprint feature is actually incredibly useful. The price they go for used ($100) seems well worth it to me.

Yeah I'm always impressed with mine. Even maxing out the controls you never really get bad or muffled reverb sounds, it's great. Tomorrow I'll have a T2 as well. Three reverbs isn't too bad...

Kilo, its cool! I owed myself a christmas gift originally. For some reason, I never liked TC Electronic pedals, they aren't bad by any means but, just never seem to fit my style. I've tried flashback and their chorus/vibrato and - meh.

Fair enough, I feel that. Their pedals are very pure and clean in general and it's something I've grown to appreciate a lot. The versatility is unmatched for the price but you really have to like the base ideas they're going for.

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay

Kilometers Davis posted:

Yeah I'm always impressed with mine. Even maxing out the controls you never really get bad or muffled reverb sounds, it's great. Tomorrow I'll have a T2 as well. Three reverbs isn't too bad...

Fair enough, I feel that. Their pedals are very pure and clean in general and it's something I've grown to appreciate a lot. The versatility is unmatched for the price but you really have to like the base ideas they're going for.

yeah and I really wanted to like them initially but I am a pure EQD dude. if I just didn't get rid of the DM I would get a ghost echo, but I think the verbs are v similar.

but on the real, is it wrong to want to rework the sound of my new band to revolve around the afterneath?

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

yeah and I really wanted to like them initially but I am a pure EQD dude. if I just didn't get rid of the DM I would get a ghost echo, but I think the verbs are v similar.

but on the real, is it wrong to want to rework the sound of my new band to revolve around the afterneath?

The EQD guy is taking old proven designs and stretching them into completely new ideas. I'm very slowly sliding towards buying quite a few of their pedals. My Arrow and Afterneath are going to be a around for a long time hopefully.

Haha it's one of those pedals for sure. It's so musical, hit one chord and you've got an idea for a song. I love any pedal that can take my brain in a new direction without "playing for me". I wish I had a reason to write a soundtrack because this pedal is the soundtrackiest thing.

If I do keep buying EQDs I think I'm going for The Depths next for some No Quarter/Shipwrecked wobbling action. The demos on it sound perfect. I'd love to try the Cloven Hoof but my OR15 does not like fuzz.

Kilometers Davis fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Jan 7, 2015

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

which would give me that heavy reverb surf action without mudding up/cut through well enough?

I hear the SN's spring is a but dark and long trails and depending on the way it layers, I can see that getting mad muddy/lost in the mix.

That gives me a better idea what you're looking for. I played around a bit with both on spring with the other knobs at noon, and they'll both do surf. The RV-2 sounds faithful and almost generic. It's warmer. The Supernatural seems to cut mids a little bit, and like I said, everything sounds haunting. I think the Supernatural might cut through better. It's a sharper sound, kind of larger than life. It's sort of the difference between "yup, that's some surf guitar" and "poo poo, that's some surf guitar". If you were trying to do straight rockabilly/surf, RV-2. If the bass guitar is shaped like a coffin, Supernatural.

I think the RV-7 is for when you want traditional reverb (though it'll do some wacky things too), and the Supernatural is for when you want the character of the reverb to be a component of your sound.

Gorgar fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Jan 7, 2015

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

The Supernatural is the best reverb pedal I've ever owned bar none and I have no desire to ever look for another one since I bought mine. It does exactly what I want. I've owned like 3 or 4 verb pedals in the past and I thought they were alright at the time I owned 'em, but now that I have the Supernatural, they all suck and I'm glad I own this thing instead of any of those.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

I'm enjoying the electro harmonix cathedral at the moment. Its not the best reverb for emulating real spaces but it can do some weird nuts stuff. And I appreciate the long predelay it gives you for added space between your playing and the wash that follows.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

massive spider posted:

I'm enjoying the electro harmonix cathedral at the moment. Its not the best reverb for emulating real spaces but it can do some weird nuts stuff. And I appreciate the long predelay it gives you for added space between your playing and the wash that follows.
I owned the Cathedral for a while and the Supernatural destroys it. Although I'm sure it works better for certain types of reverb than the Supernatural.

havelock
Jan 20, 2004

IGNORE ME
Soiled Meat
I bought a Supernatural because of this thread and am similarly happy with it. Granted I just put it on 100% wet and feed warpy el cap stuff into it to amuse myself, but hey, it's great for that.

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay

Kilometers Davis posted:

The EQD guy is taking old proven designs and stretching them into completely new ideas. I'm very slowly sliding towards buying quite a few of their pedals. My Arrow and Afterneath are going to be a around for a long time hopefully.

Haha it's one of those pedals for sure. It's so musical, hit one chord and you've got an idea for a song. I love any pedal that can take my brain in a new direction without "playing for me". I wish I had a reason to write a soundtrack because this pedal is the soundtrackiest thing.

If I do keep buying EQDs I think I'm going for The Depths next for some No Quarter/Shipwrecked wobbling action. The demos on it sound perfect. I'd love to try the Cloven Hoof but my OR15 does not like fuzz.

My RV7/SN is going to be my last pedal for awhilllllllle. hopefully.

Yeah I have be never been able to like a fuzz pedal as well fwiw

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay
alright you guys basically sold me. hopefully I will be able to grab one soon!imma end up living in a box but atleast imma have sick tonez

Smash it Smash hit fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Jan 7, 2015

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

if you have more living stability than sweet delay/verbs you're not living anyway

What's the deal with this Supernatural pedal? I'm not very familiar with it. Honestly I've never liked Digitech at all but if it's good it's good.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Kilometers Davis posted:

What's the deal with this Supernatural pedal? I'm not very familiar with it. Honestly I've never liked Digitech at all but if it's good it's good.
It's a really lovely ambient spacey reverb that sounds just like units that cost way more than it does and it's also the Hardwire reverb that isn't a piece of garbage.

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

It's a really lovely ambient spacey reverb that sounds just like units that cost way more than it does and it's also the Hardwire reverb that isn't a piece of garbage.

you don't like the rv7 I have literally not seen any negative press about it

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

you don't like the rv7 I have literally not seen any negative press about it
Haha I used to own one a few years ago and I didn't really like it at all. I mean, it wasn't the right piece of gear for what I wanted to use it for, so I guess that was partly my fault for not researching it more. But even though it didn't give me the sound I was really looking for, all the sounds it did make sounded kind of...wimpy to me, I guess? I sold it and got the EHX Cathedral later on and the Cathedral put it to shame. I think the RV-7 is my least favorite reverb I've owned.

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay

Haha I used to own one a few years ago and I didn't really like it at all. I mean, it wasn't the right piece of gear for what I wanted to use it for, so I guess that was partly my fault for not researching it more. But even though it didn't give me the sound I was really looking for, all the sounds it did make sounded kind of...wimpy to me, I guess? I sold it and got the EHX Cathedral later on and the Cathedral put it to shame. I think the RV-7 is my least favorite reverb I've owned.

hm I have actually seen it the other way around many places. mayve different combo of taste/good cathedral/bad rv7?

any who do you think the supernatural will not be too over the top for more non-ambient guitar? how does it take dirt?

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

I'll see if I can coax a bit of distortion out of an Engl tomorrow and find out.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

This was my impression of the rv7 too. It had nice spring sounds but it couldn't do huge or exotic verbs well.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

i have a Holy Grail and it only sounds good on one setting but that setting sounds pretty good

Hollis Brownsound
Apr 2, 2009

by Lowtax
Hey does anyone remember the goon who work for that small pedal company, Center Street Electronics? . I want to talk him but I don't wanna Facebook them about goon poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

Kilometers Davis posted:

if you have more living stability than sweet delay/verbs you're not living anyway

Almost the same algorithms as their standard Hardwire reverb pedal, but a tweak or two that comes out really nicely. Very warm, spacey verb - hard to bring it in tighter, actually. It's very clearly meant to be used for ambient, big sounds. It also has some ~okay shimmery stuff that approximates the old Eventide Crystals thing / Boss Phase Shifter sound, but it's not as good as those. It does sound good, just not something I'd record with given the other, better options. Excellent pedal for all-in-one stuff, but the least reverb it'll do while still sounding really good is a moderately wet spring or plate sound.

I'm really happy with mine and it's my primary verb. I appreciate its range, especially, though most of the time I use the Modulated Plate setting, not the more out-there ones. It just sounds really good. Stand-out for the pedal, not the shimmery ones.