Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

Alabaster White posted:

You can just bomb the doors open and skip everything except bosses

And the rooms before the boss

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:
So I have a question about Devil room spawning. I was playing as The Lost, and on some levels I didn't get a Devil room despite, you know, not having taken any damage. I did have Holy Mantle, but the wiki doesn't say anything about it messing with your Faith/Evil/Sin. Anyone know what's up?

I got to the Mom fight on that run, and got hosed over by not being able to see the spiders due to Curse of Darkness. I should really just stop playing on Vita so I can pump the gamma when that happens. Alternatively, I can also scum using the save sync feature if I want to, I guess.

EvilSlug
Dec 5, 2004
Not crazy, just evil.

ErIog posted:

So I have a question about Devil room spawning. I was playing as The Lost, and on some levels I didn't get a Devil room despite, you know, not having taken any damage. I did have Holy Mantle, but the wiki doesn't say anything about it messing with your Faith/Evil/Sin. Anyone know what's up?

I got to the Mom fight on that run, and got hosed over by not being able to see the spiders due to Curse of Darkness. I should really just stop playing on Vita so I can pump the gamma when that happens. Alternatively, I can also scum using the save sync feature if I want to, I guess.
Unless you have the goat head, devil and angel rooms aren't guaranteed, even if you don't take damage. There's a high probability chance for them to spawn if you take no red heart damage; but it isn't a guarantee. Book of Belial and goat head are the items you want if you're looking for devil and angel rooms.

omeg
Sep 3, 2012

Also if you pay for something at the devil room, the probability to see a deal on the next level is decreased.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

ErIog posted:

So I have a question about Devil room spawning. I was playing as The Lost, and on some levels I didn't get a Devil room despite, you know, not having taken any damage.

Your chance for a devil room is reduced significantly if you saw one the previous floor, and reduced by a lesser but still fair chunk if you saw one two floors ago.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011
Finished Solar System finally yesterday, the game seemed determined to throw the most annoying bosses at me for it though - I got Mask of Infamy and Scolex. Annoying as poo poo to deal with using just orbitals, didn't find many bombs either so I couldn't even use that route.

Codiekitty
Nov 7, 2014

So I started this last night and got a nice, broken roll involving Pyromaniac, turning into Guppy, and getting the Wafer... when I could only get up to Mom.

Then I tried again and picked up the soy milk, and the shots were so pathetic they couldn't kill Globins before they regenerated.

This game doesn't import your save from the original BoI, does it? There you had to unlock the wafer by completing the game several times, but here it's available straight away.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
The game doesn't care about anything in the original BoI, or if you even own it, no.

kvx687
Dec 29, 2009

Soiled Meat

ErIog posted:

Devil room mechanics: Having the Goat Head, using a Book of Belial, and possibly using a Devil card (not sure) will cause the devil room door to span 100% of the time. Other than that, you have a base 135% chance for it to appear. Taking red heart damage anywhere on the floor reduces it by 99%, taking red heart damage on the boss reduces it by 35%. Killing one or more beggars or shell games will boost it by 25%, owning certain evil items boosts it 15-25% each. If the door spawned on the previous floor, your total percentage is divided by 4, if it appeared two floors ago the percentage is halved. Only the lowest multiplier counts; if the door shows up two floors in a row it's only a 75% reduction, not 87.5%.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

flatluigi posted:

Protip: Go to documents/my games/binding of isaac rebirth/options.ini and set "max scale" from 99 down to 3 or 2. That lets you limit how far the game's graphics scale up to like so:

That's with a limit of 2. If you're in a small room the UI doesn't overlap the floor anymore and if you're in a large room you can see much more than you could before. Enjoy!

Holy gently caress thank you. The game is even more playable now.

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Fuuuck.

Does anyone know a surefire way of getting Missing no. and Black Lotus to appear in secret rooms?

They are the only things keeping me from unlocking platinum and real platinum god.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice
Play as Isaac and restart until you bomb into the secret room in the first room and hope for one with an item and/or the item room off of the first room with Ipecac, Fetus, Mind, X-Ray Vision, or Pyro.

Those are pretty much your only options for getting secret room items.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Another thing you can do is if you encounter Greed/Super Greed and they drop their items, or you can get an item to appear in the secret room somehow, you can reroll that item. Not guaranteed, but it's how I managed to fill out every one of my secret room items.

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

pictured: Big Cum's Most Monstrous Ambassador
It's super disappointing how poo poo Technology + Ludovico Technique is.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Eschatos posted:

It's super disappointing how poo poo Technology is.

ftfy

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

:toot: Pandora's Box was the last item I needed for RPG. I am ready for the expansion. But for now, I'm free.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!
CHECK THIS poo poo OUT:
playing as azazel to max out my donations
angel room -> GODHEAD
decide to take a screenie cause omfg godhead
GAME CRASH
restart the floor
no biggie I just get back to the angel roTHE HALO
alt+f4 in a desire for the extinction of life via deadly cockthrusts
ok, maybe i can restart and keep rerolGAME LOADS IN THE ANGEL ROOM WITH THE HALO
Minutes later near the nostromo the xenomorph got his face smashed by a light-speeding derelict computer with a shoe mark

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!
another good one: spend more than half an hour at the womb rerolling items with the d20 and 48 hour energy
decide im good enough for rerolling in the chest
in the mess of items get the tick, robbing me of swallowed penny, and the bum, kneecapping my piggybank strat

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

kvx687 posted:

Devil room mechanics: Having the Goat Head, using a Book of Belial, and possibly using a Devil card (not sure) will cause the devil room door to span 100% of the time. Other than that, you have a base 135% chance for it to appear. Taking red heart damage anywhere on the floor reduces it by 99%, taking red heart damage on the boss reduces it by 35%. Killing one or more beggars or shell games will boost it by 25%, owning certain evil items boosts it 15-25% each. If the door spawned on the previous floor, your total percentage is divided by 4, if it appeared two floors ago the percentage is halved. Only the lowest multiplier counts; if the door shows up two floors in a row it's only a 75% reduction, not 87.5%.

Do all these things apply for angel rooms when you have refused a devil deal? Like, what does killing a beggar do for the chance of an angel room appearing?

kvx687
Dec 29, 2009

Soiled Meat

Carbon dioxide posted:

Do all these things apply for angel rooms when you have refused a devil deal? Like, what does killing a beggar do for the chance of an angel room appearing?

I think the percentage is the same regardless of what type the bonus room is. I know Goat's Head and the book definitely work the same for both. Also, keep in mind the type of room is generated as soon as you enter the level, your actions inside the level just affect the likelihood of the door spawning.

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
I was having a really good Head Trauma run when a bomb fly exploded me into this corner and I was stuck. I rage quit and steamed for a minute before figuring that if I continued the run it would probably start me at the door of the room. I went on to succeed.

brainSnakes
Jul 11, 2011

I'd never save you in a million years
I finally bought this over christmas, I should have bought it as soon as it came out. I love the original, but this update is probably the best action roguelike on steam.

Eve one heart runs remain my favorite thing to do, but now i've also got Lazarus as a weird alternative!

Perpetual Hiatus
Oct 29, 2011

I have a logitech gamepad (F310) and it constantly drops the items I am carrying and randomly disconnects, I thought people discussed how to fix this somewhere but I hit a bunch of search terms for this thread and didnt see a solution. It is only this game that has the issue I think (I dont play many games with controllers tho). Any ideas?

Hyphen-ated
Apr 24, 2006
Not to be confused with endash or minus.

kvx687 posted:

Please note, this is for WOTL. These numbers are not known to be the same in Rebirth, although it feels like it's about the same.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Hyphen-ated posted:

Please note, this is for WOTL. These numbers are not known to be the same in Rebirth, although it feels like it's about the same.

The "lower chance for repeats" formula is definitely different because I get back-to-back Devil/Angel rooms all the time without any guarantee item.

strangemusic
Aug 7, 2008

I shield you because I need charge
Is not because I like you or anything!

I just hit a re-roll room and I don't know what happened, but it was incredible. I had a top hat. I had Fire Mind and the perk where all your tears are those weird zombie-looking bombs. And I didn't take damage from the fire or the bombs. Satan/The Lamb melted.

Yay for Golden God! Now to really hone in on the unlocks...

strangemusic fucked around with this message at 08:26 on Jan 11, 2015

MCXD
Nov 12, 2008

strangemusic posted:

I just hit a re-roll room and I don't know what happened, but it was incredible. I had a top hat. I had Fire Mind and the perk where all your tears are those weird zombie-looking bombs. And I didn't take damage from the fire or the bombs. Satan/The Lamb melted.

Dr. Fetus + Bob's Curse + Pyromaniac, presumably

Sundayturks
May 31, 2011

You were expecting...Sandy Claws?

Fun Shoe

MCXD posted:

Dr. Fetus + Bob's Curse + Pyromaniac, presumably

I think Ipecac + Dr Fetus negates your own bomb damage too.

omeg
Sep 3, 2012

Sad Bombs are cool.

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one

Dr. Fetus posted:

:toot: Pandora's Box was the last item I needed for RPG. I am ready for the expansion. But for now, I'm free.
How do you manage to not find an item that exists in shops, treasure rooms, random gold chests, and random red chests including devil rooms? I mean of all the unlikely items to just not show up for some person because of bizarre random chance, that's the last item for you to find? I just don't understand.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

Sanctum posted:

How do you manage to not find an item that exists in shops, treasure rooms, random gold chests, and random red chests including devil rooms? I mean of all the unlikely items to just not show up for some person because of bizarre random chance, that's the last item for you to find? I just don't understand.

The thing about random chance is that it is random.

Hyphen-ated
Apr 24, 2006
Not to be confused with endash or minus.

Alabaster White posted:

The "lower chance for repeats" formula is definitely different because I get back-to-back Devil/Angel rooms all the time without any guarantee item.

This is not good evidence that it is different. Assuming you aren't taking red heart damage, the WOTL math says you have a 33.75% chance of getting the second half of a back-to-back deal. (higher if you have pentagram or you've bombed a beggar). That's reasonably high, and this chance is applied often: once for every deal you get before womb 1. So you should expect to see back to back deals at some point on many, if not most, of your runs. I know I got them a lot in WOTL.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

This dude just had insane luck throughout a 7 Character Speedrun to the Dark Room and finished in 1:38:54, where the old record was 2:17:31: http://www.twitch.tv/problemsirl

Shock Trooper
Oct 24, 2006

TERROR BALTIMORE

ArfJason posted:

CHECK THIS poo poo OUT:
playing as azazel to max out my donations
angel room -> GODHEAD
decide to take a screenie cause omfg godhead
GAME CRASH
restart the floor
no biggie I just get back to the angel roTHE HALO
alt+f4 in a desire for the extinction of life via deadly cockthrusts
ok, maybe i can restart and keep rerolGAME LOADS IN THE ANGEL ROOM WITH THE HALO
Minutes later near the nostromo the xenomorph got his face smashed by a light-speeding derelict computer with a shoe mark

I finally sat down to unlock The Lost a few days ago. Had zero issues along the way. After Azazel dies to Satan, when the unlock screen appeared I decided to take a screenshot for some bizarre reason. Game crashed. Steam said the cheevo unlocked, but The Lost was nowhere to be seen on the character select, and there was no Continue option on the main menu. Tried doing a new Azazel run to see if that would re-unlock it, but instead I gently caress up and die in Sheol before I even reach Satan. Had to start the process all over, but luckily it unlocked for good the second time.

Moral of the story, take screenshots at your own loving risk right now I guess.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!

Shock Trooper posted:

I finally sat down to unlock The Lost a few days ago. Had zero issues along the way. After Azazel dies to Satan, when the unlock screen appeared I decided to take a screenshot for some bizarre reason. Game crashed. Steam said the cheevo unlocked, but The Lost was nowhere to be seen on the character select, and there was no Continue option on the main menu. Tried doing a new Azazel run to see if that would re-unlock it, but instead I gently caress up and die in Sheol before I even reach Satan. Had to start the process all over, but luckily it unlocked for good the second time.

Moral of the story, take screenshots at your own loving risk right now I guess.

im still pissed about it i think ill cheat engine myself into godhead

Sebbe
Feb 29, 2004

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

This dude just had insane luck throughout a 7 Character Speedrun to the Dark Room and finished in 1:38:54, where the old record was 2:17:31: http://www.twitch.tv/problemsirl

That was absolutely insane to watch.

Here's a direct link to the video.

I highly recommend watching the insanity if you have 1hr 40min to spare.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

Sanctum posted:

Second time I got Golden God in pre WOTL Isaac, the item that eluded me for freaking ever and took me hours after everything else was wiggle worm.

Also I know this was brought up a bit ago, but I can confirm that at least on the most recent version on PC, quitting out a run and starting a new one will clear out your win streak but it may not actually display until you either win or lose your next game.

On a related note, I'm at the point now where I'm winning more than I'm losing (I don't do restarts or anything and most of the time do random) and I still can't manage to get higher than a 4 win streak. :(

E: I'm also pretty sure that beating Mega Satan does now add to your win streak. At least as long as you kill ??? or The Lamb first.

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

Jesus, I heard he had gotten a new world record earlier today but I had no idea it was this nuts.I think Problems now holds most of the world records in the longer Rebirth runs. I think he also has the 7 characters to the chest run which is about 1:55 or so.

Although, I guess it kind of makes since that the Dark Room runs would be shorter because there are a lot of ways to skip Womb 2 that don't work for Chest runs.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Sanctum posted:

Actually that's because I didn't clear the Dark Room with Lazarus for a long while. That was one of the last things I did. Pandora's Box was one of the first items I ran into on my next run. My actual last item probably would've been Missing No. since that was the one I actually tried to look for. I got really lucky with Greed dropping the Steam Sale in the Chest and rerolled it several times to get Missing No. Then I finished up the Dark Room with Lazarus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!
Dear BoI: Rebirth,

I super appreciate all these goat heads you keep giving me, but could you drop them earlier than the Womb?

Appreciate it,

Poizen

P.S. Also why are the devil deals awesome every time I decide to try an angel room/mega satan run?