Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

Is it still possible to get the meatboy achievement using the BASEMENT seed?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kvx687
Dec 29, 2009

Soiled Meat

GB_Sign posted:

Back when playing the original Isaac I remember reading the Pastebin from ColourPrinter with the full mechanics breakdown of the game. One of the points in it, was that you are better off skipping passives that you don't want because they would increase internal counters and make it less likely to receive passives later on in the run. Unfortunately, I have never heard that discussed outside that one Pastebin and I believe Xaiter mentioned it during his LP. Has anyone determined if that is something that has carried over to the Rebirth. I assume so, but as I said, I never hear anyone mention it.

Possibly? There are a few items that raise the likelihood of seeing similar items, like some of the bomb items making it more likely to get other bomb items. On the other hand, the special items counter goes up when you see the item, not pick it up, and I don't know if that counts for other item pools as well.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo

Waffle! posted:

No achievements from seed runs.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

Waffle! posted:

patched out in record speed

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
Hey, I beat Isaac on only my third try at the Family Man challenge.

And got simultaneously killed by his last burst of tears. First time I've gotten so pissed I've felt like giving up on this game altogether, haha.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

Black August posted:

Though seeing that made me slightly appreciate types like Cobalt and Richard more; this guy was obnoxious as hell to listen to.

You have bad opinions about people who stream. Dude was fine, and did good commentary.

Cobalt's stream was interesting because it was a marathon for 100%, but I don't really know how you could think ProblemsIRL is MORE obnoxious than Cobalt. I don't know what the gently caress a "locor" is or why I would want to drop it, but Cobalt sure is keen on telling me about "locors" being affected by gravity a zillion loving times every video whenever there's a new sub. It's also awesome how a quarter of his screen goes away for a while whenever he gets a new sub. He also decided it would be a good decision to have his head blocking the trinket icon instead of somewhere else that would be less intrusive.

cryptoclastic
Jul 3, 2003

The Jesus
ProblemsIRL is a bit annoying at times, in that he gets really pissy or whiny over little things, especially his chat. For the most part he knows his stuff really well, and somehow holds pretty much every go-fast record in Rebirth.

Cobalt is a bit annoying. I used to like Dick Hammer a lot, but he's gotten stale. I usually watch DTPhase a lot, or our boy hyphenated when he's up late chugging milk.

Pez
Feb 28, 2002

Thanks to CoX, my stairs will be protected forever!
Finding a 1 dice room and rerolling into fear/chocolate milk made the Waka Waka challenge a lot easier

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
so yesterday i got the same build from that lost run some guy posted

epic fetus on first treasure room, quad shot in caves, then nearing the end ipecac, also a thousand good items too

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Blood Rights + Virgo is a pretty bonkers combo, if Virgo triggers you have seven full seconds of mashing to shred down whatever. I'd just been using Blood Rights to get rid of any red hearts I accidentally picked up as Eve and stumbled into that.

It's too bad you'd need Dad's Key to spawn in the Chest or something to take it to Mega Satan, with all the phases that would be a really fun fight.

shodanjr_gr
Nov 20, 2007
After loving up Suicide King a bunch of times, the game gives me goat head on first curse room. I proceed to get Brimstone, Mom's Knife, Abadon, Book of Despair and The Mark. I am such a scrub that I still managed to die to Isaac only to actually win the challenge due to the lazarus respond.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Power of Pecota posted:

Blood Rights + Virgo is a pretty bonkers combo, if Virgo triggers you have seven full seconds of mashing to shred down whatever. I'd just been using Blood Rights to get rid of any red hearts I accidentally picked up as Eve and stumbled into that.

It's too bad you'd need Dad's Key to spawn in the Chest or something to take it to Mega Satan, with all the phases that would be a really fun fight.

I would love for more fights in that style. Isaac would be great with a little more post-game level of play. Though I guess that breaks down in the Chest and Dark Room since you usually end up with a megalithic superkill build. Maybe a super hard version of the Boss Rush.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
Double- and quad-sized rooms should give you commensurate levels of item charge.

kvx687
Dec 29, 2009

Soiled Meat
Just had a pretty nice run. It was originally just supposed to be a quick Azazel run for fun, but I found the Epic Fetus for the first time in Caves 1. That was a hell of a trip; it takes longer to come down than in flash Isaac, but it's now totally controllable instead of going in straight lines, and its damage seems to be even higher. So, I blazed through the rest of the game in about twenty minutes, taking maybe five hearts damage in all. I end up right outside the Lamb's door with eleven hearts and ten lives. Then I realize I have the Ankh and haven't killed the Lamb with ??? yet. So I suicide ten times, rise up as the blue baby, and proceed to four-shot the Lamb. He gets all of two attack out, and the second was just his body doing the autoshot. Fun times.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Brannock posted:

Double- and quad-sized rooms should give you commensurate levels of item charge.

a guy suggested an item that does this i think on reddit

Sebbe
Feb 29, 2004

Glare Seethe posted:

I had the same thought when I got Platinum God... then I thought better of it. The chances of me ever beating the game with the Lost are miniscule, I might as well spare myself the headache.

I will just cheese it by going for Holy Mantle + Dead Cat runs. :shobon: Then it's not too bad, actually. No chance I'll complete it without at least Holy Mantle, so it might be cheesing, but it's the only way it stays fun for me.

Actually had a very easy run to The Chest yesterday. Managed to pick up D20 early, and then went crazy rerolling in the shop on Depths XL. (Thank god for 48 Hour Energy pills) Left the floor after 55 minutes, with a Blank Card + Perthro + AAA battery + 9 volt + Battery in hand. As well as a lot of damage ups and Guppy. And got Brimstone on Womb 1.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

Sebbe posted:

I will just cheese it by going for Holy Mantle + Dead Cat runs. :shobon: Then it's not too bad, actually. No chance I'll complete it without at least Holy Mantle, so it might be cheesing, but it's the only way it stays fun for me.

I don't have any hard numbers on this but I would imagine the odds of rolling Holy Mantle/Dead Cat together would be pretty low and it'd probably be more time-efficient to just try and eventually luck into a win via any other number of randomly broken combinations.

Shock Trooper
Oct 24, 2006

TERROR BALTIMORE
I have 100+ failures since I decided to focus on The Lost and haven't seen the Dead Cat once. Seems like it's always showing up in regular runs, but now...

edit: managed to blow another Holy Mantle + Stop Watch run, I am the loving worst. Died to two Robo-Monstros in a normal-size room in the Dark Room, once again brimstone lasers are my downfall. Also had a pretty powerful Monstro's Lung with maxed range thanks to a lot of pills, pretty good damage, Whore of Babylon, Lil Brimstone and other stuff... but of course no Dead Cat. At least I got the boss rush out of the way and don't have to rush for that anymore?

edit 2: fantastic Stop Watch run going where I had max damage + lump of coal mega tears and Guppy's Head for a lot of blue flies following me.... only to die in one of those loving BULLSHIT rooms in Sheol where there's four gray clouds that shoot instant lightning bolts at whereever you're standing. Died to the final cloud right as I destroyed it too. Seriously gently caress that stupid bullshit.

Shock Trooper fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Jan 13, 2015

dat one portagee
Dec 6, 2006

WAT DOIN BUG?
I never get any items from those four red chests in the dark room. The dark room wouldn't so bad if I didn't get poo poo troll bombs in 3 of the chests and four stupid blue flies from the last one

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
The Dark Room was added to the game to give players a reason not to go to the Chest every run, but since the Chest gives you four guaranteed items, there's no motivation for going down instead of up. Unless maybe you're one Guppy item short of the transformation and don't want to bet it all on Womb I's devil room?

SuicideSnowman
Jul 26, 2003

ErIog posted:

Cobalt's stream was interesting because it was a marathon for 100%, but I don't really know how you could think ProblemsIRL is MORE obnoxious than Cobalt. I don't know what the gently caress a "locor" is or why I would want to drop it, but Cobalt sure is keen on telling me about "locors" being affected by gravity a zillion loving times every video whenever there's a new sub. It's also awesome how a quarter of his screen goes away for a while whenever he gets a new sub. He also decided it would be a good decision to have his head blocking the trinket icon instead of somewhere else that would be less intrusive.

I used to watch Cobalt a bit when he was getting like 400 viewers a night. I can only tolerate him for about 15 minutes at a time. "Locor" is a cross between Loki and Falcore (the flying dog thing in The Neverending Story) which he used to ask to carry him all the time on runs in the original game.

While I don't really care for him, I have to hand it to him because he's pretty much cemented himself as the TwitchTV BoI streamer and is now getting 8-9k viewers a night. When he started he was pretty much just a LethalFrag ripoff but has done enough to separate himself now. He needs to shave his "beard" though. Some people just don't have the ability to grow beards. I know because I'm one of them. My wife wants me to not shave all the time despite me telling her to trust me when I say I'm not meant to have a beard.

Literal Nazi Furry
Jan 27, 2008

Swastika - Helvetica - Ikea
Last night I dreamt of Adolf searching for Anne.
I lay on my back
standing alone in the corner watching the girls dance.

I'm on crystal meth.
I piss in my pants.

BJPaskoff posted:

The Dark Room was added to the game to give players a reason not to go to the Chest every run, but since the Chest gives you four guaranteed items, there's no motivation for going down instead of up. Unless maybe you're one Guppy item short of the transformation and don't want to bet it all on Womb I's devil room?

I like the dark room depending on what items I currently have. If my run is turning out powerful, then I take it to the dark room since that means I have to go through the challenging Satan fight. If my fight is anything less than great, I take it to the chest instead. Runs where you stomp everything never stopped being fun to me, but I find having some degree of challenge to it is still funner.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Power of Pecota posted:

Blood Rights + Isaac's Heart is an insane combo as well. One of the few times the heart is actually worth it.

Mad Jaqk
Jun 2, 2013

Shock Trooper posted:

I have 100+ failures since I decided to focus on The Lost and haven't seen the Dead Cat once. Seems like it's always showing up in regular runs, but now...

edit: managed to blow another Holy Mantle + Stop Watch run, I am the loving worst. Died to two Robo-Monstros in a normal-size room in the Dark Room, once again brimstone lasers are my downfall. Also had a pretty powerful Monstro's Lung with maxed range thanks to a lot of pills, pretty good damage, Whore of Babylon, Lil Brimstone and other stuff... but of course no Dead Cat. At least I got the boss rush out of the way and don't have to rush for that anymore?

edit 2: fantastic Stop Watch run going where I had max damage + lump of coal mega tears and Guppy's Head for a lot of blue flies following me.... only to die in one of those loving BULLSHIT rooms in Sheol where there's four gray clouds that shoot instant lightning bolts at whereever you're standing. Died to the final cloud right as I destroyed it too. Seriously gently caress that stupid bullshit.

If you're playing on PC (and it hasn't been patched out), strongly, strongly recommend leaning on the Alt+F4 bug. After you've been but before the game over screen comes up, during the death animation, pause the game and Alt+F4 to close the window. When you reopen, you'll be able to continue the run from the start of the floor (or the last time you quit to the main menu). It's how I got all of my Lost items and I have no regrets.

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004

SuicideSnowman posted:

While I don't really care for him, I have to hand it to him because he's pretty much cemented himself as the TwitchTV BoI streamer and is now getting 8-9k viewers a night.

While he doesn't stream Isaac every time(still a majority though,) Northernlion is breaking 6k viewers now with his main stream block, but is done at a much earlier time in the day too than cobaltstreak. He does have other people to play off of though on the commentary side. Still impressive for a 6:00 PM to 8:00-8:30 PM Eastern time period.

ferroque
Oct 27, 2007

Cobalt is good at the game but super annoying. He sounds like Jack Black but is super goonier and loves terrible music. The thing he does when he gets a sub is really annoying. I'd much rather watch Northernlion because he seems like a normal person and not a Jack Black goonlord with a disgusting beard and irritating habits.

e: why do streamers show their faces anyway? Northernlion doesnt do this

Hyphen-ated
Apr 24, 2006
Not to be confused with endash or minus.

Ferroque posted:

why do streamers show their faces anyway?
so viewers can see their emotions and reactions and stuff. makes you feel more connected to them as a person instead of a disembodied voice, or something. I prefer watching streams with facecams.

Vakal
May 11, 2008
Cobalt is entertaining in small doses but then he'll start stuffing food into his face on stream and I can't turn that poo poo off fast enough.

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

I'm currently cheesing a really good Lost run. I've got the Leaf, and Guppy's Head, with Little Gish, Dry, Demon, and Mongo Babies doing most of the work. Should I go Polaroid or Negative?

e: Seed is 4VQL 3P8E - first item is the Leaf.

Waffle! fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Jan 13, 2015

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Waffle! posted:

I'm currently cheesing a really good Lost run. I've got the Leaf, and Guppy's Head, with Little Gish, Dry, Demon, and Mongo Babies doing most of the work. Should I go Polaroid or Negative?

I'd say negative since both satan and the lamb will dogpile onto you.

Falaflame
Dec 27, 2012
If you can defeat the Lamb, you get a really neat item called The Soul. I'd go with Negative.

circ dick soleil
Sep 27, 2012

by zen death robot

Hyphen-ated posted:

so viewers can see their emotions and reactions and stuff. makes you feel more connected to them as a person instead of a disembodied voice, or something. I prefer watching streams with facecams.

I prefer streams where its mostly unintelligible mumbling into the mic by a monotone dork.

Cobalt60
Jun 1, 2006
If I start a game with ??? and run a first-floor devil deal to get Judas's Shadow, which kills me, who does the game-win (e.g. beat satan) credit go to?

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Judas.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Lazarus' Rags and the Ankh for ??? work the same way, also.

kvx687
Dec 29, 2009

Soiled Meat
All transformation effects give credit as the character you turn into, not the original. Also, keep in mind that you get the credit when the boss dies, not when you touch the large chest, so you can't cheese unlocks by killing the boss and then suiciding.

MatildaTheHun
Aug 31, 2011

here's the thing donovan, I'm always hungry
After taking a sorta-break from Isaac (after having 2-3 weeks of progress lost through steam cloud bullshit), I've come back and finally gotten the God combo of fanny pack, piggy bank, sharp plug, wafer, and D20. I also found the monster manual in the chest and pressed space for fifteen minutes to get bandage girl and meat boy.

My habit of resetting way too early means I only have 68 official deaths. Guess I'll grind Judas?

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010
I finally caved and looked up the process for unlocking the lost. How was anyone supposed to ever figure that poo poo out?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Fun Times! posted:

I finally caved and looked up the process for unlocking the lost. How was anyone supposed to ever figure that poo poo out?

When you die with the Missing Page onhand, a puzzle piece shows up on your death screen based on where you died and how, and eventually the puzzle pieces would be able to be put together to presumably spell out how to unlock The Lost. That almost happened, it was pretty close to being solved, but then someone got into the files first. Edmund and Tyrone got salty about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Fun Times! posted:

It seems to me that was meant to be a community collaboration instead of a single person thing, which TBH is the best way to set up stuff like this in the Age of the Internet.