Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

88h88 posted:

I had a book on concept cars when I was younger which had the GT90 in it and I grew kinda fond of it. It's definitely not hideous, I really like the design of it but that may be because it looks like it should be in an anime from the late 80s.

I'm sorry but even as a kid I knew the GT90 was an abomination.

The 2005 Ford GT is kind of impressive to me as far as how right they got the styling - for a car that is 10 years old it still has looks that turn heads.

And yes, Gulf liveries are loving awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
The Gulf heritage edition GT's from a decade ago are selling north of $500k now lol

stone soup
Jul 8, 2004

drgitlin posted:

No one wrote a cheque thinking the car would be a V12, it had moved to a RWD V6 long before they started accepting money. People tried to use that as an excuse (unsuccessfully) to get out of existing orders when the economy shat the bed.
I understand Wikipedia can be very wrong but that's where I brushed up on the details. The account given makes it seem like the check-books opened on sight in a bourgeois-frenzy. Fun imagery, really.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jaguar_XJ220#cite_note-PH1-11 posted:

The car received an overwhelmingly positive reception by public and press, and a number of wealthy Jaguar enthusiasts handed over blank cheques to secure a purchase option should the XJ220 concept go into production. Ferrari displayed their F40 model at the same event; an estimated 90,000 additional visitors came to see the Jaguar and Ferrari cars.[11][23]

More cool dusty things!

stone soup fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Jan 14, 2015

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Juuuuuuust a bit of a handful, isn't it?

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich
A Mondial 8 will never be a cool thing. One of my neighbors owned one in great condition back when I lived in Orange County, CA, and even as a Ferrari obsessed fanboy I threw up in my mouth a little every time I saw it.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
I worked on a 308. I agree with you.

Those have CIS-E too. :D

E: and with a catalytic, it has a fuckoff light on the dash that says SLOW DOWN, for when the cat gets too hot and sets the car on fire.

stone soup
Jul 8, 2004
Shove a 305 in'er and get sexed.

Please someone post a 305 powered Ferrari I am on my phone halp

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

âрø ÿþûþÑÂúø,
трø ÿþ трø ÿþûþÑÂúø
Has the gt90 ever actually driven itself anywhere?

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

âрø ÿþûþÑÂúø,
трø ÿþ трø ÿþûþÑÂúø
Ignore.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

I loved the GT90 as a kid. Didn't it have a quad turbo 60 degree V12 with 600-ish (projected PR) horsepower?

Now the new car does it with half as many cylinders and turbos! :downs:

E: 720 horse powers. Let's keep in mind what concept cars looked like 20 years ago too.

Mental Hospitality fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Jan 14, 2015

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.
As I understand it, the GT90 could drive but the turbos or wastegates or something were welded open so it only ever made about 300 bhp.

I saw the car once, I think at a J Mays exhibit in LA but possibly at the RCA in London. I love it, but I know not everyone agrees.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

SouthLAnd posted:

I loved the GT90 as a kid. Didn't it have a quad turbo 60 degree V12 with 600-ish (projected PR) horsepower?

Now the new car does it with half as many cylinders and turbos! :downs:

E: 720 horse powers. Let's keep in mind what concept cars looked like 20 years ago too.

That's the Venom, right? God, I miss 90s concepts.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Darchangel posted:

The track is wet. Pretty normal.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
GT-90 owned and if you disagree you are wrong.

fish and chips and dip
Feb 17, 2010

Ford GT-70 owned more

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

You can bash the XJ220 as much as you want, it was still one of the best looking cars of the 90s.

e: found a better image

Collateral Damage fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Jan 14, 2015

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

I'm sorry but this is amazing. I liked the car before seeing it in Gulf livery, but like this, I like it better than the original.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

VikingSkull posted:

Ding ding ding. The GT's engine isn't an uptuned SHO engine, it's a detuned, streetable Ganassi engine.

People are loving stupid when it comes to the new GT, they don't understand what Ford is doing with it. They intend to win class at Le Mans 50 years after the GT40 went 1-2-3. Literally every styling and powertrain element of the car is based around that, it's irrelevant what car nerds say on the internet.

I'm stealing this to post at some idiot Facebook people, I hope you don't mind.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

The GT90 was alright in Need For Speed II but if you weren't racing with the giant T-Rex or the outhouse you weren't racing.

Sole Survivor
Aug 21, 2009

Collateral Damage posted:

You can bash the XJ220 as much as you want, it was still one of the best looking cars of the 90s.

e: found a better image

I'm pretty sure the XJ220 was also an amazing performer for its time. It had the highest top speed for a production car until the F1 came out, and it held a Nurburgring record for like 7 years, with a 7:42 lap time, which is still pretty drat impressive now.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
The headlights are pretty cool, too:
(gif made from the only video I could find of the headlights being turned on-- after looking for two minutes)

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

MetaJew posted:

(gif made from the only video I could find of the headlights being turned on-- after looking for two minutes)

uuuunfffffffffffffffffff

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Ok, those lights are amazing.

It's a pretty car, looks so good with just a mild bit of tweaking.

Ain't mad about the wheels but whatever, easily changed.

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

Can't actually remember what it is but this prototype looked pretty cool

The photo doesn't capture how huge it is

The prototype XJ220 is at the Heritage museum in Gaydon

raffie
Feb 28, 2004
hopeless incompetent
That first prototype looks more like the XJR-15.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

Darchangel posted:

I'd like to think his thought process was "gently caress it, when am I ever going to get to drive a original GT40 again?"

Though admittedly I have no idea how the goodwood festival of speed works. I assume rich people allow racing drivers (or the owners themselves) to drive their cars on the track.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

freelop posted:

I'm still yet to get there, annoyingly. Hopefully get a chance to soon.

revdrkevind
Dec 15, 2013
ASK:lol: ME:lol: ABOUT:lol: MY :lol:TINY :lol:DICK

also my opinion on :females:
:haw::flaccid: :haw: :flaccid: :haw: :flaccid::haw:

Admittedly the artist is quite good. But there's a lot you can do in a render to try and maximize the way someone reacts to a car.

Trying to find GT40 renders.

Or another example of dynamic lighting, plus old ads are awesome.

dreesemonkey posted:

I'd like to think his thought process was "gently caress it, when am I ever going to get to drive a original GT40 again?"

Though admittedly I have no idea how the goodwood festival of speed works. I assume rich people allow racing drivers (or the owners themselves) to drive their cars on the track.

Mix of both, really. Also, the cars are on historic tires (read: cross-ply). Driving a restoration GT40, at full pace, in the wet, on historic tires, is still totally ballsy but the way it's handling is not at all unusual for the circumstances. Also, you can look up the Goodwood festival on YouTube and they have an interview with the driver, he was just racing, no thoughts about the cost of the car that's not his job.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

I would like to buy a Turbo Z Car now please.

Jefinabox
Jun 26, 2007

revdrkevind posted:

Also, you can look up the Goodwood festival on YouTube and they have an interview with the driver, he was just racing, no thoughts about the cost of the car that's not his job.

One of my favourite things was Jean alesi muscling his way around in a Ferrari 250 gto. "Hey, not my £30,000,000 car"

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

freelop posted:

Can't actually remember what it is but this prototype looked pretty cool

The photo doesn't capture how huge it is

Yeah, it makes old challengers look small..

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?

Bad rear end as this is, if you think about it too much it turns into an advert about how terrible their turbo lag is.

MiniFoo
Dec 25, 2006

METHAMPHETAMINE

MetaJew posted:

Pop... down headlights? :captainpop:

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Powershift posted:

Yeah, it makes old challengers look small..

This is for you. What you said reminded me and I laughed so thank you.

http://youtu.be/dS12p0Zqlt0

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
Tax the Rich is always relevant when we're talking about XJ220's

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gVBGFnPUe-4

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Linedance posted:

I'm stealing this to post at some idiot Facebook people, I hope you don't mind.

go right ahead, but post the dumb responses lol

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

I HATE EVERYTHING THAT YOU LIKE* AND I NEED TO BE SURE YOU ALL KNOW THAT EVERY TIME I POST

*unless it's a DSM in which case we cool ^_^

88h88 posted:

Ok, those lights are amazing.

It's a pretty car, looks so good with just a mild bit of tweaking.

Ain't mad about the wheels but whatever, easily changed.

I know it's a British car but everything about the TWR variant is this to me:

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Tax the Rich is always relevant

Agree.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UKm-wcxkl5U

I don't care how many times this video has probably been posted in this thread, it owns.

Boomerjinks
Jan 31, 2007

DINO DAMAGE
I think Daniel Simon has mapped the AI genome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

The screw thread on the shaft doesn't look nearly aggressive and dangerous enough to be truly AI.