Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

newreply.php posted:

what drive letter does the cloud get? id say "C" but folks in the know tell me that one is taken

w, for "wombo storage"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

newreply.php posted:

what drive letter does the cloud get? id say "C" but folks in the know tell me that one is taken
depends, theyre usually folders in windows, unless you meant network drives or oddball storages
network drives will have w/e sysadmin sets them to, on my previous job the two drives available to most people in my department were n and k
elsewhere i often see z too

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
How come on mac I can give my drives really long names but on windows I can't?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Cardboard Box A posted:

drives have names and letters
name length limit, though, is
code:
yosposharddrivewithaverylongname

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
HFS+ is kinda bad though

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Beeftweeter posted:

HFS+ is kinda bad though

just not in the ways linus thinks it is

he can't handle either case-insensitivity nor (any form of) Unicode normalization, he honestly thinks file names should just be a bunch of bytes with only / and NUL disallowed.

"Unicode composition is an issue for input methods to deal with" is something he actually said

even Microsoft isn't that wrong

(NTFS is a p nice filesystem design, pity about being associated with Windows)

newreply.php
Dec 24, 2009

Pillbug
im making a filesystem that accepts emojis for filenames but none of the standard ascii characters

think about it...

newreply.php
Dec 24, 2009

Pillbug
💅/😮😘/💯/😻🔫.🐝😏🐝

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

if you ask an OS X http server for a file ending in U+002E FULL STOP U+0070 LATIN SMALL LETTER P U+0068 LATIN SMALL LETTER H U+200C ZERO WIDTH NON-JOINER U+0070 LATIN SMALL LETTER P, does it run the script or serve up the source?

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

the answer is, of course, lol nobody runs httpd on os x, but I'm still curious

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".
what happens when you are using 26 drives on windows does it run out of letters

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Metrication posted:

Yup

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Metrication posted:

you need to use volume mount points, it wont show anything beyond 26
older windows was able to show 32 ([: or ': to say) drives

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Actually what does Linux do if you have more than 26 devices on, say, the SCSI bus?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Captain Foo posted:

Actually what does Linux do if you have more than 26 devices on, say, the SCSI bus?
depends on what you have
often sth like this

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

kalstrams posted:

depends on what you have
often sth like this

thank ye

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

Cardboard Box A posted:

wandows is crap op

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice

newreply.php posted:

what drive letter does my butt get? id say "b" but folks in the know tell me that one is taken

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

lol the idea that two drive letters are reserved for a drive that will never be plugged in to the vast majority of pcs made this decade

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
i don't really get drive letter sperging. i just don't really care whether my hard drive is named "c:" or "shitpost central" or "dev/null/nobodyuseslinux". i guess it's a sub-optimal design but why really give that much of a poo poo

newreply.php
Dec 24, 2009

Pillbug

you may think you're being funny, quoting my post and changing the words in it, but people get confused or hurt all the time by this kinds of prank

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

newreply.php posted:

you may think you're being funny, quoting my post and changing the words in it, but people get confused or hurt all the time by this kinds of prank

ur butt is the F: drive baby

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

/Volumes supremacy

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

pram posted:

microsoft windows. a POS OS in severe decline. with only the most desperate holdouts defending its beleaguered walls against the siege of the righteous

this is microsoft's Iwo Jima

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

at the date posted:

this is microsoft's Iwo Jima
more like mauginot line

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

carry on then posted:

/Volumes supremacy

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

eschaton posted:

he can't handle either case-insensitivity nor (any form of) Unicode normalization, he honestly thinks file names should just be a bunch of bytes with only / and NUL disallowed.

"Unicode composition is an issue for input methods to deal with" is something he actually said

If NTFS is so great how come ms is switching to REFS with Windows 10?

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Fame Douglas posted:

Yes, how do all the Mac and Linux user manage to identify their drives just fine without drive letters?!

Face it, drive letters are dumb and outdated. Just like everything else Windows. But it runs my games, I guess.

they don't get by. no one uses linuxes and certainly they don't put multiple drives in them (atleast normal people don't)

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

Cardboard Box A posted:

If NTFS is so great how come ms is switching to REFS with Windows 10?

lol if u believe ms will ever be able to change the file system again

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Shaggar posted:

they don't get by. no one uses linuxes and certainly they don't put multiple drives in them (atleast normal people don't)

:allears:

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man

kalstrams posted:

more like virginot line

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

hobbesmaster posted:

speaking of mount points, do windows symlinks work properly?

They do indeed

Programmer Humor
Nov 27, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Main Paineframe posted:

i don't really get drive letter sperging. i just don't really care whether my hard drive is named "c:" or "shitpost central" or "dev/null/nobodyuseslinux". i guess it's a sub-optimal design but why really give that much of a poo poo

bikeshedding

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

hobbesmaster posted:

speaking of mount points, do windows symlinks work properly?

generally yes, although depending on what creates them i've seen explorer have issues navigating them

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

eschaton posted:

no, thats just spergy nitpicking

its the hack on top of a hack on top of a filesystem that was originally designed for floppies part thats a little worrying

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

nobody ever answered my question: does Apache serving from HFS+ execute PHP/CGI/etc. when you insert the magic vanishing Unicode code points into the extension or does it just serve up the script?

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

pseudorandom name posted:

nobody ever answered my question: does Apache serving from HFS+ execute PHP/CGI/etc. when you insert the magic vanishing Unicode code points into the extension or does it just serve up the script?

sounds like an Apache question to me, not an HFS+ question. does Apache do an open() of what the client sent, or does it do a directory lookup first to try to find a match, without knowing what a match means in the case of a particular filesystem on which it's running?

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

pseudorandom name posted:

i dont have it configured to run scripts or anything but even non-server os x comes with httpd, i guess if someone has it properly configured (the config files are a scattered mess) you could test it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

Shaggar posted:

• Locked thread