Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Zaphod42 posted:

Its UNO, you silly goons. Have you never played UNO? Its a reskinned UNO with funnier cards than just numbers and "skip a turn".

How is it similar to UNO apart from the 'next player skips a turn' mechanic? There's way less strategy in this one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Paladinus posted:

How is it similar to UNO apart from the 'next player skips a turn' mechanic? There's way less strategy in this one.

You're just drawing cards, relying on the luck of the draw for almost the entire game, which is how UNO works too. Yeah, this is kinda reversed in the goal, its like Russian Roulette UNO, but close enough.

What strategy is there in UNO really? You play a card if you can, you play a skip/reverse/whatever if you feel like dicking over somebody to your left or right. This has the same stuff pretty much.

I guess maybe there's a secret world of UNO strategy that I'm ignorant to, but there's not much to be had there.

People come up with 'strategy' for Rock, Paper, Scissors tournaments. (At least that comes down to psychology, and you have more agency)

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time
Card game looks like it could be fine mechanical, but the whole monkey cheese aesthetic is already tiresome from just watching the video.

Also back my kickstarter to buy a printing press to specialize in printing all the card games getting kickstartered.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

e: judging by the figures almost everyone bought the 35$ "NSFW" deck. I guess it says it all. People don't buy this for the game but for the lol random edgy factor. Probably 14 years olds or geeks.

Nah, Matthew has figured out how to pander directly to the "Everything in this awful house I bought on ThinkGeek" nuevo-millionaires who have a six figure income but zero life savings because Tech is a hedonistic treadmill where you run on a frictionless plane of knives until you bleed to death or turn 33.

This is what happens when you digest the entire Web 1.0 world and turn your brain into a crucible for molten lolrandom monkeycheese. He's blended together the Internet into a nutritive paste and he's just feeding what we created 10 years ago back to us. You have to love the shameless guile it takes to turn Cracked articles into infographics. Every joke he's made, you made on a BBS you found accidentally when you were 12. He's a preteen on an AOL chatroom for the first time, but with "tragically hip youth pastor" facial hair and a boner for personal fitness.

His calendar is a loving thing of beauty. For someone who is only noteworthy because of the computer, he convinced otherwise rational individuals to shell out fuckin' $20 for 12 paintshopped "motivational" images of how technology will make us all fat, shapeless blobs. AUGH.

He's a loving monster. A rich, shameless, successful, monster. He is my idol.

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I used to read his site regularly and it was OK ? I certainly don't hate the guy.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Holy crap, open the project page and just watch the pledge total for a bit, it jumps be several hundred dollars every few seconds. :psyduck:
It's gone up by about $200k since I last posted, it'll hit $2m really soon.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

unpacked robinhood posted:

I used to read his site regularly and it was OK ? I certainly don't hate the guy.

What's the ratio of foam weapons to children in your house?

lorn Wayne
Jan 7, 2006

:staredog::meowth::pipe:

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Holy crap, open the project page and just watch the pledge total for a bit, it jumps be several hundred dollars every few seconds. :psyduck:
It's gone up by about $200k since I last posted, it'll hit $2m really soon.

Seriously, every single refresh every few seconds for like a minute straight gave a higher amount.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

TheOatmeal is a single rung above XKCD as the comedy of choice for people who think they are smarter than they actually are.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
And it's smashed through $2m and kept on going. I think the rate of pledges is actually accelerating slightly.

Fluo
May 25, 2007

http://metro.co.uk/2015/01/21/this-misguided-hipster-is-trying-to-crowdfund-money-for-13-dates-5030246

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/help-tom-to-fund-love#home

holy gently caress at this dude

quote:

• £1 – A thank you from Tom (in the form of a ‘personal email’).

• £10 – Signed photo. Yes, Tom the nobody from Norwich will give you a ‘signed limited edition print’… of his FACE.

• £100 – A guaranteed date with Tom (in London… travel not included). But, as Tom points out ‘You could be The One’. Vom.

• £500 – A date and a poem. Yes – for an extra £400 you get one of Tom’s cliché-filled poems (an example of which you can hear in his video above). Just take a moment to think about that, because for four hundred bloody pounds we’d want a first edition Wordsworth, mate.

• £1,000 – The city of love (aka. a day in Paris with Tom). Which despite YOU having donated (i.e. paid) £1,000 for, Tom has the audacity to describe as, ‘I’ll take you to Paris’. No mate, the sucker ‘donating’ a grand to your apparent love quest is the one taking YOU.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VvIoVpYozR8

:suicide:

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

Wouldn't want to take money from the waistcoat or ironic taylor swift t-shirt budget to pay for dates.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Zaphod42 posted:

You're just drawing cards, relying on the luck of the draw for almost the entire game, which is how UNO works too. Yeah, this is kinda reversed in the goal, its like Russian Roulette UNO, but close enough.

Sorry, but you obviously never played UNO competitively. :smug:
Like in many other card games your primary mean to achieving your goal is to make assumptions based on what cards have previously played and by whom. You don't just throw any card, you want to play a card that your opponent more likely has no answer to and at the same time you want to set it up so you have an answer later. It's not, like, Magic: The Gathering level of deck and hand analysis, but it's still there. In this game, however, predictions seem to be meaningless, as your main goal is to skip as many turns as possible or have as many kitten-defusing cards as possible. It is Russian roulette with more busy work.

:goonsay:

Paladinus has a new favorite as of 02:08 on Jan 22, 2015

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost
My favorite part of the KS is that they admit their initial game wasn't fun at all. But then they say that the slightly-different game is in fact super fun!

Cirrial
Oct 24, 2012
All this talk of UNO and Russian Roulette is just reminding me of UNO Extreme.

Why can't there be a stupid meme game with some interesting gimmick like that? Wouldn't it be right at home with the WOW SO ZANY crowd? Okay, I guess it'd cost a lot more than printing some lovely card deck but the market for gimmick board/card games sure probably might exist still.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Snuffman posted:

Whatever happened with the "Tesla" Museum? Last I hear they were scrambling just to buy the land and hadn't even done anything yet.

EDIT: Just looked at the Exploding Kittens KS.

People aren't this dumb, are they? There's no gameplay there.

Turn over card, get "kitten card", loose game. But wait, you can draw a card to skip your turn! Or a card to "diffuse" a kitten card so you don't loose. Or a card to do "something" that's completely unexplained and likely, at this point, completely not thought out or planned!

Sounds like something you'd place once or twice and then never again.

Sounds a lot like Kittens In A Blender, which actually has gameplay.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Callout, autographed photo, skype, and I will mail you a badge of my "fursona". This is something you will always have as a collectible. I will also mail you a signed limited edition hardback copy of my novel, ((When the publisher is done with it.)) Some guy's trying to get $3500 for a fursuit, and this is his highest tier "reward" which is just sad.

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

You know, I've got a funny feeling I've seen this all before.

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

My favorite part of the KS is that they admit their initial game wasn't fun at all. But then they say that the slightly-different game is in fact super fun!

My favourite part is that they ran their first playtest one week before launching the kickstarter.

The whole thing is a pinpoint marketing exercise by two artists and a guy best known for ARGs, they couldn't care less about the game and it's brilliant.

Mildly Amusing
May 2, 2012

room temperature

Cirrial posted:

Why can't there be a stupid meme game with some interesting gimmick like that?

Because that would require some degree of creativity and more than the smallest modicum of effort

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Bubble-T posted:

My favourite part is that they ran their first playtest one week before launching the kickstarter.

Must've nailed it, then!

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

Bad Munki posted:

Must've nailed it, then!

To be fair the game is so simple and bad it's not like there's much to playtest.

"The cards didn't dissolve people's hands in to goo on contact, guess we're ready to go!"

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

God forbid some guys make a simple and stupid but probably entertaining-to-drunk-people card game richard garfield must be rolling in his grave lined with million dollar bills

Enilev
Jun 11, 2001

Domesticated

Someone wants you to buy them a fursuit

quote:

Risk is that the fursuit maker get's delayed due to sickness or any life emergencies. Though rare, it is possible, which will delay creation.

This isn't even for them to build it. They're going to take the money and pay it to someone else to make the suit for them.

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy
Jesus loving Christ are those paw-print tramp stamps.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Nah, tramp stamp is above the rear end.

Those are cutie marks. :gonk:

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Lady-and-the-tramp stamps.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Syrinxx posted:

God forbid some guys make a simple and stupid but probably entertaining-to-drunk-people card game richard garfield must be rolling in his grave lined with million dollar bills
B-B-B-But it's for a clickbait site!

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

dijon du jour posted:

Jesus loving Christ are those paw-print tramp stamps.

I assume that's where the other person is supposed to put their hands.

TetsuoTW posted:

If I had an artist friend that could practically guarantee 60,000 backers I'd probably spend a bit of effort making something that wasn't garbage even by light filler standards, but then that's probably why I'm not wiping my rear end with money right now.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

TetsuoTW posted:

is this decade's equivalent of Garfield hating mondays and Cathy trying on a bathing suit after eating too much chocolate really the hill you want to die on

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

youll always be so sleepy when youre this tiny *plompf*
The potato salad ship has sailed but nobody told this guy

e: or this guy

Noyemi K has a new favorite as of 06:08 on Jan 22, 2015

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Sleeveless posted:

Vapid linkbait site The Oatmeal, creator of such perennial favorites as Sriracha For The Mothershitting Win and Nikolai Tesla: The Most Epic Athiest Bacon Fedora To Ever Exist, kickstarted a card game and it made a million dollars in less than a day.

Ah ha ha ha ha, when they hit the $2 million mark (on their $10k project) they added their first stretch goal and bumped the bonus deck from 20 cards up to 40.

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

They made a game with random player elimination, advertised it as getting more fun the closer you are to the end, and then decided the first stretch goal should be making the game last longer.

I'm actually starting to love these guys.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Those cat ears better double as speakers that you can toggle on or I will be really disappointed in a missed opportunity.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Sleeveless posted:

Garfield hating mondays and Cathy trying on a bathing suit after eating too much chocolate
Oh look it's two more things sane, well-balanced people don't give a poo poo about.

Gridlocked posted:

Those cat ears better double as speakers that you can toggle on or I will be really disappointed in a missed opportunity.
They already did last time that project was posted, so presumably they still do.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Gridlocked posted:

Not only would that be a totally superfluous option that is the complete opposite to the intended function of headphones it would also be incredibly obnoxious and would be guaranteed to enrage pretty much anyone else within earshot in any situation where you'd wear earphones. So to answer your question: yes, of course the ears turn into external speakers.

quote:

Can you turn on and off the cat ear speakers and LED lights?

Yes! Both the external speakers and the LED lights have switches to turn them on or off when you want.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Enilev posted:

Someone wants you to buy them a fursuit

This isn't even for them to build it. They're going to take the money and pay it to someone else to make the suit for them.

I'd just posted that :v. But I didn't include the picture so :shrug:

RabbitWizard
Oct 21, 2008

Muldoon
Indiegogo is more a site for begging than for projects it seems. I found the plea of this poor soul, next to dozens of others starting with "help me get...(some personal stuff)". This one just stood out the most:
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/help-me-get-40k-by-october

:psyboom:

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

youll always be so sleepy when youre this tiny *plompf*

RabbitWizard posted:

Indiegogo is more a site for begging than for projects it seems. I found the plea of this poor soul, next to dozens of others starting with "help me get...(some personal stuff)". This one just stood out the most:

quote:

everyone who donates will get emailed a signed picture of me with the car.
This is loving perfect :bravo:

Fluo
May 25, 2007

RabbitWizard posted:

A 15 year old asking for 40k :psyboom:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Noyemi K posted:

This is loving perfect :bravo:

I was gonna post that...

I want to donate a kick to his boney rear end and spit in his eye.