Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

omeg posted:

Envy is the worst sin. Fight him for forever, get a troll bomb or Shoop da woop.

Envy on the first floor is the only thing that will make me restart.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Jibo posted:

Envy on the first floor is the only thing that will make me restart.

Is Envy designed to appear adjacent to the Basement 1 spawn room super often or something? So many runs I'll go one room and see Envy, but not any of the other sins, ever.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

omeg posted:

Envy is the worst sin. Fight him for forever, get a troll bomb or Shoop da woop.

I'll also take Gluttony a zillion times over than have to fight Envy. I'm not a huge restart scumming kind of guy, but if I'm playing I will always reset an Envy room on the first floor. It just takes too long, and it's not even that hard. It's just so tedious.

Alabaster White posted:

Is Envy designed to appear adjacent to the Basement 1 spawn room super often or something? So many runs I'll go one room and see Envy, but not any of the other sins, ever.

I don't think so. It's just that Basement 1 is such a small floor that most of the rooms that exist are usually connected to the starting room just by chance. I mean, it's only like 7-9 rooms including Item Room, Shop, and Boss Room.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

ErIog posted:

I'll also take Gluttony a zillion times over than have to fight Envy. I'm not a huge restart scumming kind of guy, but if I'm playing I will always reset an Envy room on the first floor. It just takes too long, and it's not even that hard. It's just so tedious.

I don't think so. It's just that Basement 1 is such a small floor that most of the rooms that exist are usually connected to the starting room just by chance. I mean, it's only like 7-9 rooms including Item Room, Shop, and Boss Room.

Oh, I know about the probability of a Sin boss room appearing adjacent to spawn, but why is it always Envy :argh:

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

Alabaster White posted:

Oh, I know about the probability of a Sin boss room appearing adjacent to spawn, but why is it always Envy :argh:

I've gotten Wrath a few times in the first room and I'm pretty sure I've gotten Pride and Sloth once or twice but it does seem like it's almost always Envy.

Happy Big Fun
Jul 23, 2004
Yay!

Dodecalypse posted:

It already improves your damage and gives you more items???

Yeah the champion belt is awesome. It's a full 1 damage up and more champion enemies means it can pay for itself. Also, the pink ribbon is a nice trinket just for the increased pickups.

Black candle is the other underrated shop item. Yay sin heart, boo curses.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!
Well, managed to finally get somewhere with The Lost after getting Ludovico, flat worm, reflection and the stopwatch. The spinning black scythes were huge, but I made the mistake of grabbing mom's knife, which made it tiny again. I was hoping for a giant knife.
Cleared the boss rush easily and managed to just scrape past some brimstone spiders in the womb but drat it if one of the eyes at It Lives didn't ping me and end what I was hoping would be a nice run. Unlocked the D100, but was hoping to get further.
Win streak is around -280 :(

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

I hate the Suicide King challenge. The only thing that saved me was Lucky Rock + Magic Fingers. Nice to find a combo that completely trivializes an otherwise hardass challenge.

e: Only 9 more items til Real Platinum God!

Waffle! fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Jan 24, 2015

something
Aug 1, 2011

Have you ever seen
The most pure look of delight
On a Babby's face?

Pillbug
Just had the luckiest family man challenge. Got the magic mushroom, max's head plus guppy's hairball and tail, then took a huge gamble in taking a curse room's 9 lives to become guppy. Wasn't really making any flies but they were doing considerable damage. Then i beat mom and check out the boss rush room... polyphemus. I took that and purposely killed myself. That gave me flies that were 2-3 hitting bosses, which let me coast through the womb and cathedral with little issue. Didn't even take damage on isaac and had him downed in less than 30 seconds.

Now to try out this epic fetus...

Codiekitty
Nov 7, 2014

Unlocked two of the runes (the one that destroys all the rocks and the one that duplicates items, forget what they're called), and the Chaos and Credit cards. Think next I'll take Samson through the Chest and collect the two key pieces, but not fight Mega Satan just yet. I wanna see how this key collecting thing works first.

Also, I'm in the "gently caress Envy" crowd. I'm also not too fond of Pride, but I guess I'll still take him over Envy.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?

Codiekitty posted:

Unlocked two of the runes (the one that destroys all the rocks and the one that duplicates items, forget what they're called), and the Chaos and Credit cards. Think next I'll take Samson through the Chest and collect the two key pieces, but not fight Mega Satan just yet. I wanna see how this key collecting thing works first.

Also, I'm in the "gently caress Envy" crowd. I'm also not too fond of Pride, but I guess I'll still take him over Envy.

If you get the chance to get to Mega Satan, don't give up!

Tofu Injection
Feb 10, 2006

No need to panic.
Holy mantle on the first floor and 9 lives in the Sheol Curse room just took me to a Lamb kill with the lost. No Boss rush yet though, I'm guessing that's going to be the worst part of the whole thing.

The only other thing I haven't unlocked yet is Mega Satan. I had no idea how much I relied on Devil rooms for damage until doing without them on all non Lost runs.

Literal Nazi Furry
Jan 27, 2008

Swastika - Helvetica - Ikea
Last night I dreamt of Adolf searching for Anne.
I lay on my back
standing alone in the corner watching the girls dance.

I'm on crystal meth.
I piss in my pants.

Tofu Injection posted:

Holy mantle on the first floor and 9 lives in the Sheol Curse room just took me to a Lamb kill with the lost. No Boss rush yet though, I'm guessing that's going to be the worst part of the whole thing.

The only other thing I haven't unlocked yet is Mega Satan. I had no idea how much I relied on Devil rooms for damage until doing without them on all non Lost runs.

Boss rush is the worst part. gently caress death's scythes and gently caress gurdy spitting blood at you from offscreen. :mad:

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Codiekitty posted:

IF you have the key, there's no reason not to fight mega satan. Just leave the room after you beat ??? and give it a whirl.

Codiekitty
Nov 7, 2014

Well, after one failed run with Samson (in which I (a) learned the Dead Cat is a terrible item for Samson, and (b) managed to get an Angel Room to appear, but I didn't have any bombs) I got a broken run with Samson... except I only ever got Devil Rooms. And I was so mad, because I could have turned into Guppy.

I might have to attempt it with Judas, or get an unlimited D6 thing with Isaac until I get a Goat's Head.

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!
Why would dead cat be terrible for Samson? Because his special ability relies on getting hit?

I mean, I can't be the only person who just uses red hearts for devil currency and plays every character like they're ???, Samson included. This game tosses soul/sin hearts out like candy on Halloween when playing on normal.

Tofu Injection
Feb 10, 2006

No need to panic.

Poizen Jam posted:

Why would dead cat be terrible for Samson? Because his special ability relies on getting hit?

I mean, I can't be the only person who just uses red hearts for devil currency and plays every character like they're ???, Samson included. This game tosses soul/sin hearts out like candy on Halloween when playing on normal.

It works on later floors, once you get a soul heart buffer, but on the first couple, you really want to have to option to get smacked around a bit. I've never played on Normal though so I'm sure if you are getting multiple soul hearts on basement floors, dead cat would be awesome whenever.

GuyDudeBroMan
Jun 3, 2013

by Ralp
Holy poo poo, this game is like a mirror image of my experience in FTL. Like literally the same thing happened (playing easy on both).

1st game ever - I die on floor 2/zone 2 because I have no idea what im doing
2nd game ever - I beat the loving game!
3rd - 25th game - I can't even make it to the last level, let alone the final boss. I die every loving time.
26th - 35th game - Somewhere in here I FINALLY win again for the 2nd time ever.

loving incredible that this happened twice in two different games.

kemikalkadet
Sep 16, 2012

:woof:

Ferroque posted:

Question about forget-me-now: if I use it on basement 1, will I still have a greatly decreased deal with the devil chance after I beat the boss again? Or does the regenerated floor count as a second floor with regular devil deal chances? Also, if I had just taken a devil deal on a floor, will forget-me-now give the regenerated floor a decreased devil deal chance (because I had just taken one), or does it consider the regenerated floor as having identical chances for devil deals (damage taken notwithstanding)?

To the first question, floor one does nothing at all with devil deals: You can't get them and nothing you do in them will affect your chances of seeing them in the future. If you reset a floor one it'll continue to have no effect on devil room chances. The only exception is a basement XL floor which is counted as floor 2 for devil room stuff. Not sure about your second question, I could see it working either way to be honest.

Also slightly related, I had a 5-pip dice room on necropolis 1 a couple of days ago, finished the floor then went back and used it. The new floor it gave me was completely identical to the one I just had, 5-pip dice room included. Bosses and drops were different but everything else was the same so I got to run Necropolis 1 three times in a row. The second dice room rerolled me to a different floor layout.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

GuyDudeBroMan posted:

Holy poo poo, this game is like a mirror image of my experience in FTL. Like literally the same thing happened (playing easy on both).

1st game ever - I die on floor 2/zone 2 because I have no idea what im doing
2nd game ever - I beat the loving game!
3rd - 25th game - I can't even make it to the last level, let alone the final boss. I die every loving time.
26th - 35th game - Somewhere in here I FINALLY win again for the 2nd time ever.

loving incredible that this happened twice in two different games.

You're not at the actual end of the game until you unlock the Polaroid and the Negative :v:

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Alabaster White posted:

You're not at the actual end of the game until you unlock the Polaroid and the Negative :v:

Yeah, Isaac builds on previous victories. Just because you 'beat' the game doesn't mean you beat the game. Depending on how masochistic you're feeling, you can consider it 'done' when you've unlocked every ending or when you 100% the game (this is madness don't do this).

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

Yeah, Isaac builds on previous victories. Just because you 'beat' the game doesn't mean you beat the game. Depending on how masochistic you're feeling, you can consider it 'done' when you've unlocked every ending or when you 100% the game (this is madness don't do this).

You could think of Golden God as the equivalent to the "story mode" with Platinum God as the "postgame", if that analogy makes any sense.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help
Should I expect some unlock or achievement for beating Mega Satan?
I beat The Lamb with ??? and then went on to defeat Mega Satan (the door was unlocked by the keys from the angel fights).

I had nine lives, guppy's collar, the Ankh, the wafer and also both polaroid and the negative (I re-rolled Necropolis 2 with a 5-dot die).

I died the first time against Mega Satan, and then decided to die until I got the 3 hearts from Ankh to give me a better chance. So then I bombed myself in the first room (of the Dark room), and Nine Lives kept teleporting me in the Mega Satan to fight him -probably because it was the previous room I was in - I didn't expect that it would do that, and my mind probably was having trouble grasping that this wasn't a bug but the intended behavior).

Anyway, I finally beat him as per the plan, but then nothing unlocked. Was this a glitch?

Toothache
Apr 5, 2011

Platypus = God's beta testing animal
The only reward you get from Mega Satan is an ending. Nothing more, although it is needed to do at least once for Real Platinum God.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Shoot for Mega Satan once, then completely forget about him (at least til the expansion inevitably adds stuff that requires him)

kemikalkadet
Sep 16, 2012

:woof:

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

Shoot for Mega Satan once, then completely forget about him (at least til the expansion inevitably adds stuff that requires him)

It's a fun fight that I always do if I'm able to. It's a pain to open though if you don't get dad's key since you have to get angel rooms which means sacrificing devil deals for the run. Hopefully they add something later than makes it more likely or guarantees the mega Satan fight like they did with the polaroid in WotL.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Here's an interesting glitch related to the boss rush. If you bomb a skull and a host appears, you can kill it and it counts as beating the boss rush, and you'll get a free item out of it. This also counts for achievements and unlocks. Of course, you would have to get lucky enough for a skull to spawn in the boss rush in the first place, and even luckier to have a host spawn. But it's something to keep in mind.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
What I really want is for code to be put in place to be biased towards items you haven't picked up yet so that platinum god isn't such a loving grind. Of the things I still need four, nearly half of what's left for me, are Secret Room items. Also Book of Revelations until you have Super Bandage and Super Meat Boy unlocked so we aren't constantly resetting for specific loving treasure room items.

Just Burgs
Jan 15, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k

Sebbe posted:

So, I started a run with Isaac. Next to a curse room. Containing this:

Touched the paw, picked up the collar. Rerolled the other two into the tail and Gimpy.

So that's one way to become guppy.

(Seed: PDXB 0HBT on hard mode as Isaac, if anyone wants to try the seed. It's not a bad seed at all.)

I had the very same happen today! Floor one guppy was an absolute treat in Hard Mode.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Dr. Fetus posted:

Here's an interesting glitch related to the boss rush. If you bomb a skull and a host appears, you can kill it and it counts as beating the boss rush, and you'll get a free item out of it. This also counts for achievements and unlocks. Of course, you would have to get lucky enough for a skull to spawn in the boss rush in the first place, and even luckier to have a host spawn. But it's something to keep in mind.

I wonder if this works with a fly spawned from the portable slot machine, like in the Flash Isaac.

Codiekitty
Nov 7, 2014

Poizen Jam posted:

Not on this run, it wasn't. I took the dead cat in the first Depths/Caves hoping to eventually turn into Guppy, and just spent the whole game unable to use Samson's ability.

psivamp
Sep 6, 2011

I am expert in shadowy field of many things.
I really wish there was an ARM linux build of the game. I bought a NVIDIA Tegra K1-based Chromebook and slapped linux on it. Now I don't want to use my 9 lb. regular laptop if I can use my 3 lb. Chromebook for stuff.

I e-mailed Nicalis, but haven't heard back. I don't really expect to -- ARM-based linux boxes with enough power to actually play a game are a very very small market.

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!

Codiekitty posted:

Not on this run, it wasn't. I took the dead cat in the first Depths/Caves hoping to eventually turn into Guppy, and just spent the whole game unable to use Samson's ability.

Did you not have any soul hearts? If I have a full stack of them I think nothing of throwing away 3 of them on the donation machine or a devil beggar to get Samson's ability ramped up. And on Chest/Dark Room I generally take enough stupid damage to max out bloody lust anyway.

Street Horrrsing
Mar 24, 2010

Godwalker of The Grateful Prisoner

Finally beat the "solar system" challenge and the key, game changing item I got ended up being a Blue Candle. Go figure.

Is there any reliable way to fight mega satan? Just get the d6 and hope to roll Dad's key?

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
Break angel statues in angel rooms twice in a run.

Codiekitty
Nov 7, 2014

Poizen Jam posted:

Did you not have any soul hearts? If I have a full stack of them I think nothing of throwing away 3 of them on the donation machine or a devil beggar to get Samson's ability ramped up. And on Chest/Dark Room I generally take enough stupid damage to max out bloody lust anyway.

I didn't get hardly any Soul Hearts the whole time. I also only got one HP Up after I gave away four for the Dead Cat.

Next run I got plenty of red and soul/black hearts to get myself pumped up with. And that was the run where I could have turned into Guppy by buying his Hairball, Paw, and Tail from the Devil but was trying to get into Angel Rooms that never showed up.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Iretep posted:

Break angel statues in angel rooms twice in a run.

Man I hope that the next expansion adds something so you can break devil statues for some kind of boss fight for the key as well. You pretty much have to decide from Caves 2 that you want to go for Mega Satan if you want to fight him. One Devil deal and it's all over.

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

IUG posted:

Man I hope that the next expansion adds something so you can break devil statues for some kind of boss fight for the key as well. You pretty much have to decide from Caves 2 that you want to go for Mega Satan if you want to fight him. One Devil deal and it's all over.

Once you unlock Dad's Key you can skip Angel rooms completely.

gamingCaffeinator
Sep 6, 2010

I shall sing you the song of my people.

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

I saw this post, and the run I did right afterward ended up with me facing and beating Mega Satan. I can't believe it! :neckbeard:

I started out with Azazel and a floor one Ludovico, and everything just kinda died. With the Prayer Card giving me a total of 9 hearts and 3 soul, Mega Satan only took me down to two.

Now to never do it again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Argona
Feb 16, 2009

I don't want to go on living the boring life of a celestial forever.

Can you still unlock the Lost with seeds?