Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

im not a computer mans so idk but if ms fixed all this bullshit ui like made all new matching icons and put the settings in a single place and a logical order and fixed just all this stupid poo poo would windows be good?

it seems like just getting things to look right and work sensibly would be so much easier than making a goddamn operating system function but maybe everything i dont know about how windows does things is just as hosed as the ui idk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shitface
Nov 23, 2006

the installer trying to force a microsoft account was probably just a mistake. i mean its just a technical preview.

lets take a look at this new modern mail program i've been hearing so much about. maybe i'll set up my gmail or work exchange

oh hello unjustified attempt to make me "switch to a mircosoft account" alongside deliberately lower contrast option which obviously lets me use my own loving accounts

so i clicked "sign into each app separately instead" and was greeted with

:wtc:

ok, ok. not to panic. there is surely a way to add my gmail to this operating system. maybe if i cancel this poo poo and use microsofts traditionally rich settings i can...

:magical:

while i was doing this i was installing vmware tools. the screen switched to full res and left the vmware tools installer completely unmovable at the top left if you don't know the alt+space -> move keyboard shortcut. literally all you could otherwise is click close and not really know if the loving this was finished

so alt-space aaaaand, hello windows 95

your operating system is a piece of indefensible poo poo

shitface
Nov 23, 2006

LastInLine posted:

im not a computer mans so idk but if ms fixed all this bullshit ui like made all new matching icons and put the settings in a single place and a logical order and fixed just all this stupid poo poo would windows be good?

it seems like just getting things to look right and work sensibly would be so much easier than making a goddamn operating system function but maybe everything i dont know about how windows does things is just as hosed as the ui idk

they'll add be adding that as an option in windows 17 but only if you sign with a microsoft xbox live gold premium 2036 for windows edition account

shitface
Nov 23, 2006

why are these both still here? this isn't fixed. it isn't fixed at all

oh and that ~responsive~ modern window? it can't be made smaller than that vertically. not at all. there's no feedback either, the horizontal resize cursor just waves impotently over the window doing precisely the square root of gently caress all. sizing it down horizontally actually does a pretty neat thing which i like but it's just so loving arbitrary and broken it doesn't work the other way

I AM GETTING MAD AT A COMPUTER :argh:

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

LastInLine posted:

no

windows is a mess of bad usability, the sloppiness of the ui design is a symptom of that, not the cause

shitface
Nov 23, 2006

well at least i heard they fixed the start menu. i'll remove all that metro crap and finally some sanity will be restored

gently caress this garbage. no-one should ever use a windows for any reason. ever

shitface
Nov 23, 2006

windows 10 pros:
- its actually pretty fast. i only gave it 3gb and it whizzes along quite nicely

windows 10 cons:
- the speed means its just less time until it annoys the everloving gently caress out of you
- everything else

sheer, unmitigated poo poo

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

it doesn't do nothing, it reminds you constantly of how you rudely spurned ms's ui metaphor of the day

current microsoft seems incapable of acting like anything but a jealous ex when you choose not to do something their way

i completely expect to have an animated progress bar of xbox music destroying my mp3s by forcibly converting them to wma should i ever find the menu that lets me uninstall xbox music

they are so petty and peevish, their broken internal rivalries seep out through each build

i bet both of those separate control panels both employ 50 people and that is why there will always be two full, incongruous panels in every os release from now on

shadow puppet of a fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Jan 24, 2015

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

hear hear

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.
windows 10

i wish i could say more :(

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Even number? Pass.

shitface
Nov 23, 2006

aah. AAAH! why did i go to the verge? why did i read the loving comments?

The creeping realisation every choice you make is the worst one possible posted:

If it’s a Surface Pro 3, I’d be careful. Some issues with Connected Standby in this build – it murders battery life.

Someone who is about to be very disappointed posted:

Yah. My Pro 3 was showing 74% Battery and only 2 hours remaining. I hope it’s not THAT bad.

The presence of 'daily driver' in my post immediately marks me out as full retard posted:

Using it as my daily driver on my Yoga 2 Pro. Can’t seem to make it disable the keyboard in tablet mode though :(

Don't forget to cj those special snowflake oem drivers brah posted:

Make sure you install the Yoga Transition drivers.
The hinge position recognition won’t work without them.

An Idiot Shitlord posted:

No doubt Windows 10 cross-platform apps and Continuum features make it a "universal" OS solution for all platforms, PC, tablet, smartphone, Xbox One, Surface Hub, etc., coupled with Project Spartan, the new web browser, and the integration of Windows Phone personal digital assistant Cortana into the PC desktop. It is basically an ultimate Windows OS, and it gives Microsoft a very competitive edge and advantage over the others.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

that last ones gotta be a ms employee

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Blue Train posted:

no doubt

Messyass
Dec 23, 2003

this would be hilarious if I didn't have to use it for work eventually

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Messyass posted:

this would be hilarious if I didn't have to use it for work eventually

shitface
Nov 23, 2006

Blue Train posted:

maybe but i was sitting onsite at a client yesterday and heard an irl shitlord talking about how bad his battery life on he anroid was but that he thought it was "just his rom" until he restored to stock and rooted and it was still just as bad. prompted by his colleague to "just leave it alone" he replied "if i wanted to do that i'd just get an iphone :smug:"

my point is that there really are people who cannot make anything resembling a rational decision, no matter what the actual facts are. even when they understand and accept those facts something drives them to build a worldview of utterly irrational conceit

e: although this post probably belongs in the anroid thread

shitface fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Jan 24, 2015

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

if i were on the os x team id be laughing my rear end off, even the first beta of yosemite was better put together than this

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

jesus loving christ

windows 7 until the heat death of the universe, i guess :smith:

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

shitface posted:

the installer trying to force a microsoft account was probably just a mistake. i mean its just a technical preview.

i guess all that means that they still don't let me use gmail and google calendar in their native programs. i guess i would keep using thunderbird in windows 10 too, if i ever installed it on anything.

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."

shitface posted:

why are these both still here? this isn't fixed. it isn't fixed at all

oh and that ~responsive~ modern window? it can't be made smaller than that vertically.
a lot of modern apps are like that, which is why the belief that putting metro apps on the desktop actually solves anything at this point is so laughable

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Happy_Misanthrope posted:

a lot of modern apps are like that, which is why the belief that putting metro apps on the desktop actually solves anything at this point is so laughable
the hardest thing about onboarding new interns at microsoft must be quashing their drive to solve obvious easy problems with a logical approach to human-computer interactions

that must be what all the macklemore concerts and swag-dumps are for, to get them use to sitting back and accepting dumb things while the riches shower over you

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

shadow puppet of a posted:

the hardest thing about onboarding new interns at microsoft must be quashing their drive to solve obvious easy problems with a logical approach to human-computer interactions

that must be what all the macklemore concerts and swag-dumps are for, to get them use to sitting back and accepting dumb things while the riches shower over you

i imagine it must be like when carcetti from the wire became mayor

"oh yeah i'll get to that in a second, I just need to do this, and have this meeting and.... [cut to 3 years later]"

shitface
Nov 23, 2006

it just seems so utterly trivial to fix. they had the sense to do the right thing and display in a column when resized horizontaly. now what could be the right thing to do when the user wants to resize vertically to get rid of the one fifth of window space that is completely empty? hmmm :iiam:

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

windows 10 is in early alpha stage, right? from the looks of it, it'll be out in a year and a half or so? just want to make sure i know when to turn off auto update from my win7 bootcamp partition

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Last Chance posted:

windows 10 is in early alpha stage, right? from the looks of it, it'll be out in a year and a half or so? just want to make sure i know when to turn off auto update from my win7 bootcamp partition

beta, and targeted for 2H 2015

godspeed windows devs

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

wat

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."
the start menu search is gone btw, when you start typing in the search field on the taskbar it just overlays the search pane over the start menu instead of just replacing the contents of the sm with your search results

slow as gently caress as well, as it's basically a modern app that behaves like it's drawing an html page on top of the desktop - because that's basically what it's doing - of course no right-click functionality or drag and drop even if you expand those sections as the results dialog is still 'modern' and thus has little to no interaction with the desktop

of course all these new apps don't use subpixel cleartype, so now even the taskbar renders text differently from the desktop

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

Last Chance posted:

windows 10 is in early alpha stage, right? from the looks of it, it'll be out in a year and a half or so?
oh you are just adorable :glomp:

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

YOSPOS › Microsoft Titanic Status: Windows 10 is in early alpha stage...right?

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

shadow puppet of a posted:

i need to change my choice of 'favorite thing', coming from win7 i had no idea there was a dead-kids-stare-back-at-you app that shipped with the operating system

this is exactly what i needed to unlock my productivity in a mobile-first cloud-first world

microsoft titanic status: 4 children, 2 doting grandparents, and a devastating fire

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

the start menu search is gone btw, when you start typing in the search field on the taskbar it just overlays the search pane over the start menu instead of just replacing the contents of the sm with your search results

slow as gently caress as well, as it's basically a modern app that behaves like it's drawing an html page on top of the desktop - because that's basically what it's doing - of course no right-click functionality or drag and drop even if you expand those sections as the results dialog is still 'modern' and thus has little to no interaction with the desktop

of course all these new apps don't use subpixel cleartype, so now even the taskbar renders text differently from the desktop

:lol: :smith:

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge

welcome back to windows chicago i guess

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
lmao oh god this is worse than longhorn was

all of it

i bet they're going to have to scrap development and start over just like longhorn

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Beeftweeter posted:

all of it

i bet they're going to have to scrap development and start over just like longhorn

welp, see you in 2019

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge
so is the release date next week or what?

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
i just tried to update my vm to this garbage to play around with it

it has 37.9 GB free

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

Beeftweeter posted:

all of it

i unironically hope this happens...but in all likelihood it won't. there's too much stuff out there now, they are calling this piece of poo poo a beta, they aren't going to back down. full steam ahead towards terrible ideas and implementations

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

once they fix the 'only the start menu is inaccessible for first 7 minutes of any new install' -bug, they'll ship this bugger

there is no reason to delay it beyond that, as it installs, receives updates and shuts down, so pretty much finished in modern os terms

• Locked thread