Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I like how while everyone shits on starbound in here, including xboxpants, xboxpants doing it in an honest way without hyperbole is enough to ruffle people's feathers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

Catts posted:

So is all the new stuff they've been showcasing on their site going to be in the stable or is it just going to be the nightly with a coat of paint?
Voting "coat of paint".

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

IronicDongz posted:

I like how while everyone shits on starbound in here, including xboxpants, xboxpants doing it in an honest way without hyperbole is enough to ruffle people's feathers

im pretty sure nobody here is mad about like, literally anything involving starbound

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

Raskolnikov posted:

Voting "coat of paint".

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
The reason I :spergin: about tedious combat/survival over tedious mining, is that tedious mining can't set BACK your progress, merely slow it. While a tiny bird blowing bubbles reducing you to a smear on the purple dirt in ways an NPC with dual rocket launchers can only dream of, that's a setback.

God, why am I still so foolishly optimistic about the stable being "Pretty okay beyond combat" whenever the hell it comes out?

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax

Catts posted:

So is all the new stuff they've been showcasing on their site going to be in the stable or is it just going to be the nightly with a coat of paint?

what kind of retarded question is that!!

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

OwlFancier posted:

Next update would be much more enjoyable if they introduced an Iron Sheik race. All lookat text would be replaced by barely comprehensible gibberish, character sports a massive mustache and keffiyeh, weapons are all wrestling moves.

I would play Starbound again if they did that!

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Afraid of Audio
Oct 12, 2012

by exmarx
First of all, I would give you my name, but names are not important right now, are they? Anyway, about a month ago I was browsing some Minecraft vids on YouTube, when I saw a video called "This is Starbound." I decided to take a look at it, and what I saw was simply amazing. Since I liked what I saw, I searched up Starbound using Google. I found out that you could buy it from Steam for $9.99. I was too lazy to buy it at the time, so I downloaded a pirated version from a random torrent site.

One thing that seemed a little odd while I was downloading the torrent, my PC kept freezing up on me. I checked my hard drive, and it had 92.8 GB free, so I assume my computer was just acting a little buggy that evening. Once the torrent was finished downloading, my computer went berserk. The screen was literally melting (a similar virus can be found of danooct's channel on YouTube) and then started flashing random colors. After 15 seconds or so, it completely shut down. I was both worried and pissed off, so I waited about a half hour and then went to turn it back on.

Although I may have expected my entire hard drive to be corrupted, it wasn't, one thing did happen though. On my desktop was an application called "Starbound.exe." The file size for it was unbelievable! It was 24 GB's! I expected it to be a good game... I was drat WRONG.

I started up the game, created my character, made a world, you know what happens. After doing all of that, I opened up my world, and I was unlucky. I spawned in a corrupted biome, and I had a tiny copper shortsword, broken pickaxe, and a lazy copper axe. I was going to ragequit, but I decided it would be more of a fun challenge. I got my wood, made a house, got stone, got killed a few times by those Soul Eaters, and even found a floating island close to one of the mountain tops!

By the time I did all of that, it was getting dark, so I headed back to my house. When I got back, I noticed that there was a huge hole in the bottom of my house. I assumed it was one of those worm things. I also noticed that the guide died, and his tombstone read "Matt got decapitated..." by what? Probably the worm again at its work. What also creeped me out is that the guide's name was Andrew... but my actual name was Matt. I covered the hole and stayed in my house for the night.

My computer kept freezing up on me as I tried to do certain things, such as destroy a shadow orb, open chests, craft iron and greater gear, etc. I thought that this version I downloaded was hacked, but I just brushed it off. It was morning again, so I decided to go kill some slimes so I could make torches (it sucks living in the dark with nothing to do.) I tried to find one of those oceans that have gold chests with nice items inside them, so I did just that the next day.

After about ten minutes of traveling to the left... there was nothing. Nothing but a big, gaping hole where the ocean would be. Just for shits and giggles, I jumped down into the hole. For about 30 seconds I kept falling, and then I reached the underworld. Or so I thought, but my character fell beyond that and there was nothing but black. My game crashed after another 30 seconds of falling into complete nothingness. I booted up the game again, went back to my world, and what I found this time almost made me shut my computer off... and not by using the power button, but instead with a hammer.'

I was back at my house, but my character had bruises, chunks of flesh missing, and even one of his legs was gone, but he could still walk okay. He could even jump! But anyway, enough of that. As for my house, it was destroyed. The only thing left was that hole that I had patched up earlier. I decided to check the tombstone again, but this time it said something different, and this truly shocked me. It said, in an extremely glitched-up font, "WE NEED YOU MATT TABIN." That made me poo poo a massive brick right there, because THAT was my actual name. I had a feeling this wasn't just some sort of hack, but rather, a possessed game.

Since I couldn't do a lot of the stuff in the game without the game either crashing of my PC freezing up, I decided to jump down into the hole. My character fell into the pitch black again, but this time I heard a splash after about 30 seconds. I also saw a faint light coming from the side of the screen, so I went towards it. It was a black chest... I don't remember seeing that in this game before, but yet again, I just downloaded this, so I really didn't know anything about the game yet. I figured my PC would freeze for me when I tried opening it, but surprisingly it didn't. Inside were Souls of Flight, Sight, Might, and Fright. From a few videos I saw on YouTube, I figured out those were the souls you got from the Hardmode bosses of the game! In the lower right corner of the chest was a stone pentagram. Again, I didn't know if this was an actual object from the game, but I really didn't care.

I took a look at it. The item's description read "Carries the power of Satan." It looked like it would be used for summoning a boss (it would probably summon Satan, since it said it carries his power.) Before I did, I noticed there was one more item in the chest. It was a broken Terra Blade sword. I really didn't give a drat if was broken, I was taking it anyway! At that point, I was ready for a fight! I summoned Satan- err... SATANSPAWN. Yep, this was the name of the monster that I had summoned. The Wall of Flesh music started playing, so I thought this was going to be a though battle. The monster literally leaped at me from the right side of the screen. The monster looked too advanced, even for a game such as Starbound.

The monster's eyes were big black holes, it's eyes were very tiny and glowing a slightly golden color. It was completely stripped of clothing, but the most terrifying thing about this beast was it's mouth. Dear God, the loving mouth was HUGE. It's teeth was a green yellow like color, and it didn't even have a tongue. I equipped my sword and, reuniting the little courage I had left, I darted straight at it. I swung my sword once but it only dealt 1 to 2 damage. It's health was 9999, so I imagined this was one tough beast, since I was using the most powerful sword on it. After htting it a few times, it ate me.

Gore and blood, very realistic, was gushing everywhere. My character was taking 90781 damage every second, and it also gave me the "Horrified" debuff. After it was finished eating me, the usual message didn't appear on the screen saying, "You were slain..." instead, it said I got my throat ripped out by it. A few seconds later, the monster wiped it's lips off, and then leaped at the camera. After that, my computer shut down.

I was both scared and confused at what had just happened. But before I could think about what caused it to shut down like that, I realized my computer's tower was on fire. I threw it out the window, and I knew that I had enough for the night, so I got ready for bed. About a few minutes later, I heard a very loud roar, almost making me fall out of bed. It was the same exact roar from Starbound when you summon a boss. At the end of my bed, was that monster, staring right at me. I wanted to whisper "Dear gently caress" to myself, but before I could finish, it jumped onto my chest and cut open my throat, and ripped my Adam's apple out, then my spinal cord. The last thing I saw before my vision finally went was an old man, holding some weird staff. He also had a stone pentagram necklace.

So now here I am, living my life as a once-was living, now an undead-demon. All I can do now is finish this. Also, the monster said he was going after another mortal to slay next, but he didn't give the name. I just want to say that you might want to lock your doors, and maybe run before it gets you. Otherwise, you will end up like me. Also, did I tell that this person I'm standing right next to looks rather tasty? It's also reading something, so I might be able...

You know what, I should stop here.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Starbound creepypasta :stare:

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

Eonwe posted:

Starbound creepypasta :stare:

Nope, no-one cares about starbound to make any. It is terraria with the words replaced.

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms
You just swapped terraria for starbound what tipped me off was that the game in your story appeared to have content

Afraid of Audio
Oct 12, 2012

by exmarx
My ruse is undone.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

The Starbound creepypasta is true, and we are posting in it.

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms
The ghost of starbound's future haunts us

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Blackheart posted:

The Starbound creepypasta is true, and we are posting in it.

ooOOOOOoooOOOOOOOooOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

mutata posted:

ooOOOOOoooOOOOOOOooOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

Sorry, I didn't rank that skill.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Wee Tinkle Wand posted:

This ruffles my feathers.

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

Wee Tinkle Wand posted:

*targets Starbound
An Corp

*fizzle*

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
In Vas Mani

In Vas Mani

In Vas Mani

Dandywalken fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Jan 26, 2015

Bilal
Feb 20, 2012

Eonwe posted:

im pretty sure nobody here is mad about like, literally anything involving starbound

I extremely care and I'm phenomenally mad and raged about Starbound.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms
gently caress it really was ghost the hole time

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Just got a big update. I guess that unstable is up now.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
How

Big

Was it?

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Dandywalken posted:

How

Big

Was it?

Like 700 megs.

Koobze
Nov 4, 2000
Excellent, maybe now we can all stop shitposting and get back to maStarBating together?

no we can't

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

Koobze posted:

maStarBating

:fuckoff:

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

Just kinda messing around and noticed that when you stack dirt up to 1000 it auto-trashes any more dirt you pick up. I like that.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Wee Tinkle Wand posted:

Just kinda messing around and noticed that when you stack dirt up to 1000 it auto-trashes any more dirt you pick up. I like that.

Since I'm still waiting on "stable", could you fill us in sometime if does it do this with sand? Considering some of us like to go hog wild making windows and glass goes by pretty fast even across a small area.

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

Section Z posted:

Since I'm still waiting on "stable", could you fill us in sometime if does it do this with sand? Considering some of us like to go hog wild making windows and glass goes by pretty fast even across a small area.

I'll let you know when I find some sand.

e: Looks like it picks up more dirt if I move the dirt onto the hotbar instead of keeping it in my inventory.

Space Skeleton fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Jan 27, 2015

Space Bat
Apr 17, 2009

hold it now hold it now hold it right there
you wouldn't drop, couldn't drop diddy, you wouldn't dare

Afraid of Audio posted:

First of all, I would give you my name, but names are not important right now, are they? Anyway, about a month ago I was browsing some Minecraft vids on YouTube, when I saw a video called "This is Starbound." I decided to take a look at it, and what I saw was simply amazing. Since I liked what I saw, I searched up Starbound using Google. I found out that you could buy it from Steam for $9.99. I was too lazy to buy it at the time, so I downloaded a pirated version from a random torrent site.

One thing that seemed a little odd while I was downloading the torrent, my PC kept freezing up on me. I checked my hard drive, and it had 92.8 GB free, so I assume my computer was just acting a little buggy that evening. Once the torrent was finished downloading, my computer went berserk. The screen was literally melting (a similar virus can be found of danooct's channel on YouTube) and then started flashing random colors. After 15 seconds or so, it completely shut down. I was both worried and pissed off, so I waited about a half hour and then went to turn it back on.

Although I may have expected my entire hard drive to be corrupted, it wasn't, one thing did happen though. On my desktop was an application called "Starbound.exe." The file size for it was unbelievable! It was 24 GB's! I expected it to be a good game... I was drat WRONG.

I started up the game, created my character, made a world, you know what happens. After doing all of that, I opened up my world, and I was unlucky. I spawned in a corrupted biome, and I had a tiny copper shortsword, broken pickaxe, and a lazy copper axe. I was going to ragequit, but I decided it would be more of a fun challenge. I got my wood, made a house, got stone, got killed a few times by those Soul Eaters, and even found a floating island close to one of the mountain tops!

By the time I did all of that, it was getting dark, so I headed back to my house. When I got back, I noticed that there was a huge hole in the bottom of my house. I assumed it was one of those worm things. I also noticed that the guide died, and his tombstone read "Matt got decapitated..." by what? Probably the worm again at its work. What also creeped me out is that the guide's name was Andrew... but my actual name was Matt. I covered the hole and stayed in my house for the night.

My computer kept freezing up on me as I tried to do certain things, such as destroy a shadow orb, open chests, craft iron and greater gear, etc. I thought that this version I downloaded was hacked, but I just brushed it off. It was morning again, so I decided to go kill some slimes so I could make torches (it sucks living in the dark with nothing to do.) I tried to find one of those oceans that have gold chests with nice items inside them, so I did just that the next day.

After about ten minutes of traveling to the left... there was nothing. Nothing but a big, gaping hole where the ocean would be. Just for shits and giggles, I jumped down into the hole. For about 30 seconds I kept falling, and then I reached the underworld. Or so I thought, but my character fell beyond that and there was nothing but black. My game crashed after another 30 seconds of falling into complete nothingness. I booted up the game again, went back to my world, and what I found this time almost made me shut my computer off... and not by using the power button, but instead with a hammer.'

I was back at my house, but my character had bruises, chunks of flesh missing, and even one of his legs was gone, but he could still walk okay. He could even jump! But anyway, enough of that. As for my house, it was destroyed. The only thing left was that hole that I had patched up earlier. I decided to check the tombstone again, but this time it said something different, and this truly shocked me. It said, in an extremely glitched-up font, "WE NEED YOU MATT TABIN." That made me poo poo a massive brick right there, because THAT was my actual name. I had a feeling this wasn't just some sort of hack, but rather, a possessed game.

Since I couldn't do a lot of the stuff in the game without the game either crashing of my PC freezing up, I decided to jump down into the hole. My character fell into the pitch black again, but this time I heard a splash after about 30 seconds. I also saw a faint light coming from the side of the screen, so I went towards it. It was a black chest... I don't remember seeing that in this game before, but yet again, I just downloaded this, so I really didn't know anything about the game yet. I figured my PC would freeze for me when I tried opening it, but surprisingly it didn't. Inside were Souls of Flight, Sight, Might, and Fright. From a few videos I saw on YouTube, I figured out those were the souls you got from the Hardmode bosses of the game! In the lower right corner of the chest was a stone pentagram. Again, I didn't know if this was an actual object from the game, but I really didn't care.

I took a look at it. The item's description read "Carries the power of Satan." It looked like it would be used for summoning a boss (it would probably summon Satan, since it said it carries his power.) Before I did, I noticed there was one more item in the chest. It was a broken Terra Blade sword. I really didn't give a drat if was broken, I was taking it anyway! At that point, I was ready for a fight! I summoned Satan- err... SATANSPAWN. Yep, this was the name of the monster that I had summoned. The Wall of Flesh music started playing, so I thought this was going to be a though battle. The monster literally leaped at me from the right side of the screen. The monster looked too advanced, even for a game such as Starbound.

The monster's eyes were big black holes, it's eyes were very tiny and glowing a slightly golden color. It was completely stripped of clothing, but the most terrifying thing about this beast was it's mouth. Dear God, the loving mouth was HUGE. It's teeth was a green yellow like color, and it didn't even have a tongue. I equipped my sword and, reuniting the little courage I had left, I darted straight at it. I swung my sword once but it only dealt 1 to 2 damage. It's health was 9999, so I imagined this was one tough beast, since I was using the most powerful sword on it. After htting it a few times, it ate me.

Gore and blood, very realistic, was gushing everywhere. My character was taking 90781 damage every second, and it also gave me the "Horrified" debuff. After it was finished eating me, the usual message didn't appear on the screen saying, "You were slain..." instead, it said I got my throat ripped out by it. A few seconds later, the monster wiped it's lips off, and then leaped at the camera. After that, my computer shut down.

I was both scared and confused at what had just happened. But before I could think about what caused it to shut down like that, I realized my computer's tower was on fire. I threw it out the window, and I knew that I had enough for the night, so I got ready for bed. About a few minutes later, I heard a very loud roar, almost making me fall out of bed. It was the same exact roar from Starbound when you summon a boss. At the end of my bed, was that monster, staring right at me. I wanted to whisper "Dear gently caress" to myself, but before I could finish, it jumped onto my chest and cut open my throat, and ripped my Adam's apple out, then my spinal cord. The last thing I saw before my vision finally went was an old man, holding some weird staff. He also had a stone pentagram necklace.

So now here I am, living my life as a once-was living, now an undead-demon. All I can do now is finish this. Also, the monster said he was going after another mortal to slay next, but he didn't give the name. I just want to say that you might want to lock your doors, and maybe run before it gets you. Otherwise, you will end up like me. Also, did I tell that this person I'm standing right next to looks rather tasty? It's also reading something, so I might be able...

You know what, I should stop here.

He also had a...stone pentagram?

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms
looks like they'll make the deadline, very well, carry on

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.
There's a neat QoL change in the unstable for vines. Before if you were chopping a long vine, you had to stand there and wait like a retard for like six seconds, especially at the start of the game with an un-upgraded tool, while the vine slowly started to shake and eventually all got chopped down.

Now, you still target the vine at the top where it attaches to the roof of the cave, but it breaks away from the ceiling in sections of 3-4 pieces of vine at a time. It's a real small change, but makes things just a little bit easier, and also makes them seem less tedious since instead of getting 9 pieces of vine after 3 seconds, you're get 3 pieces of vine every second. So you don't have to wait as long for a reward.

Again, it's a very, very minor change, but stuff like that is really important to make the game not seem like a horrible slog. Having bandages/etc occasionally dispense out of those pixel capsules fits that category too.

There's also a nice "tink" sound when you hit ore while mining, which I like, and the smashable rocks are in the game, though a bit rare. Haven't played much yet. It'll probably be pretty similar to the last unstable, with most of the changes being small ones like this.

XboxPants fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Jan 27, 2015

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms
amazingly enough control binding gui is also in

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Ahundredbux posted:

Goty 2015. If only it came out in 2015.

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President

Ahundredbux posted:

You're lying like the other guy, aren't you? I don't know who to trust anymore.

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms

Preechr posted:

You're lying like the other guy, aren't you? I don't know who to trust anymore.

I'd like to believe I'm lying as much as the next guy but it's true

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

Kikas posted:

Goty 2015. If only it came out in 2015.

It's only been early released it can be released for real whenever they want Q.E.D. :smug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

My god.

• Locked thread