Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baby Babbeh
Aug 2, 2005

It's hard to soar with the eagles when you work with Turkeys!!

I have it on good authority that Hermann Goring once smirked at a particularly saucy knock-knock joke.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

al-azad posted:

It's kind of a Japanese thing, really. Final Fantasy VIII involves children raised in military academies as magic slinging assassins. You just got done trying to kill a witch and now you have to hurry back to school for the big dance where your friends are trying to set you up with a girl you don't like and look there's a girly mag someone happened to leave on the ground lol.

We live in a world where Hetalia is a thing.

e: It's probably because there's a wider range in the age of the target audience in Japan. I guess the American equivalent would be how movies used to be either G/PG or R/X; either suitable for basically everyone or suited only for adults. Which is funny because the CERO system goes from all ages > 12+ > 15+ > 17+ > 18+ but CERO B (12+) encompasses practically everything except alcohol and gambling.

Although I wonder what Japan's definition of alcohol and gambling are because the Dragon Quest series has always been all ages.

Humor and dark setting can definitely be combined in a satisfactory manner! But Valkyria Chronicles is not that. It's trying to have the cake and eat it too. If you left the war in the background and focused on the ~anime~ it would totally work, just look at Advance Wars. But the combination of realistic warfare, rumination on the nature of war, and 12-year old shocktroopers making poses after every kill just loses you somewhere around the part with the 12-year old.

Like, Fire Emblem also gets away with it somehow. A lot of it has to be the fantasy setting, instead of WW2 in all but name.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

actually, the 12-year-old posing owns

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Endorph posted:

actually, the 12-year-old posing owns

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

ludonar *faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaart*

Enrico Furby
Jun 28, 2003

by Hand Knit

Gamma Nerd posted:

This is probably going to be just me posting my favorite jRPGs that I've already posted in the thread a million times, heh. Digital Devil Saga duology and SMT: Nocturne, for starters. Fairly hard games but unique settings/aesthetics and great music. I'd also say The World Ends With You because it's fantastic, but considering its control scheme, it may be annoying to play on emulator using a mouse.

Also try Baten Kaitos, if you can emulate Gamecube. Gorgeous game, interesting story, very quirky mechanics.
e: just reread and I see you mentioned Shadow Hearts :downs:

I use a 360 controller with my emulators so not worried about the control scheme on a PC (but I do ate clunky control schemes in general), but someone replied saying you're off base. I don't mind some grind, and like I said I like battles being more than "Press A", but when games are just obtuse to up their hour count it's a huge turnoff. Why would he say that do you think? I have never heard of these so I am interested. A good sountrack is always a plus, too, but it won't carry bad gameplay (gameplay and mechanics has always been my biggest concern in games).

I have heard about this game so many times over the years, maybe it's time.

Super Ninja Fish posted:

From that, all I see that you want is something unique and good, and not open world or grindy. I'll repeat myself a few pages ago and say Nier. Not only does it have in my and a lot of people's opinions the best soundtrack in games, it also has a great story, great voice acting, and a lot of humor. I found it very unique as far as RPGs go in that you're a middle aged ugly dad out to find a cure for your sick daughter rather than being a teenager on an adventure. Gameplay is fast and easy, no grind necessary. If you play it, just don't do any sidequests unless you want to do them.

Sounds good to me, I especially enjoy a good story with humor in it. I don't mind sidequests either, I do have a streak of completionist in me but I also hate using guides even though I end up using them because my idea of fun is not checking every nook and cranny in every screen just to find another Phoenix Down.

oblomov posted:

TWEWY is fantastic and if the OP has Android it should work well. I'd also say with iOS but Square didn't bother to fix compatibility with iOS 8 for crapload of their games including this one so I recommend avoiding Square games on the platform (I basically stopped buying). Of course they also have ton of issues with Android 5.x but it seems better then with iOS 8. How about Persona 4? It's pretty interesting and can be emulated. I'd also recommend going forward with DQVIII, it's a great game and OP should be able to get past the control scheme, it's worth it.

What about PC games? Shadowrun Dragonfall is fantastic. There is always Skyrim/Fallout/Deus Ex to try out. Dragon Age Origins is pretty cool (not a fan of DA:I after i played it for a while). Mass Effect 1 is neat. Divinity OS is really good game (more combat then story but it's a great thing). Valkyrie Chronicles and Trails in the Sky are great. Then there are some cool dungeon crawlers like MMX and Grim Dawn. You pretty much don't have to grind in any of these (well, maybe MMX/Grim Dawn).

TWEWY sounds really familiar, I feel like it maybe had a ton of hype when it came out or something? I don't have a cell phone anymore so no Android or iOS for me at the moment. Whenever I get a new one I have FF3 waiting for me on my Google play though ^_^

I want to like Skyrim, I really do. I can actually play it now because my brother has a 360 (mine RRoD'd) and a copy, maybe I should give myself some time to get into it again (my old roommate had a copy that I dabbled in), it just hasn't hooked me yet. Haven't played any Fallout besides like 5 minutes trying the original on GoG a few years ago. I think I'd love Deux Ex from what I've heard for the plot but I always imagined it would be a clunky old game. Never heard of Shadowrun Dragonfall. Heard of Dragon Age but never really thought much of it. I played Mass Effect 2 when I had a 360 but I got bored maybe 1/3 or 1/2 of the way in, not a hue fan of FPS besides multiplayer CoD. I don't know anything about VC (though I've heard the name) or TitS (lol). I don't think I'm a huge dungeon crawler guy but maybe if the gameplay is amazing. A lot of these sound like good games that would bore the poo poo out of me pretty quickly, I dunno. I really like good turn based combat with thoughtful mechanics.

This is definitely giving me some ideas, though in a weird twist of fate I am oddly finding myself wanting to give Skyrim a try again, gonna copypasta this so I don't forget all of your recommendations.

Oh, and reading my post it might have sounded like I was asking for help with my life lollllll, nope just video games, keep your armchair psychology to yourself nerdos ;)

Enrico Furby fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Jan 26, 2015

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Amppelix posted:

Humor and dark setting can definitely be combined in a satisfactory manner! But Valkyria Chronicles is not that. It's trying to have the cake and eat it too. If you left the war in the background and focused on the ~anime~ it would totally work, just look at Advance Wars. But the combination of realistic warfare, rumination on the nature of war, and 12-year old shocktroopers making poses after every kill just loses you somewhere around the part with the 12-year old.

Like, Fire Emblem also gets away with it somehow. A lot of it has to be the fantasy setting, instead of WW2 in all but name.

Valkyria Chronicles was never going to have a good story about WW2, it's probably best they just ran with it and piled on the goofiness

oblomov
Jun 20, 2002

Meh... #overrated

All Else Failed posted:

I use a 360 controller with my emulators so not worried about the control scheme on a PC (but I do ate clunky control schemes in general), but someone replied saying you're off base. I don't mind some grind, and like I said I like battles being more than "Press A", but when games are just obtuse to up their hour count it's a huge turnoff. Why would he say that do you think? I have never heard of these so I am interested. A good sountrack is always a plus, too, but it won't carry bad gameplay (gameplay and mechanics has always been my biggest concern in games).

I have heard about this game so many times over the years, maybe it's time.

Sounds good to me, I especially enjoy a good story with humor in it. I don't mind sidequests either, I do have a streak of completionist in me but I also hate using guides even though I end up using them because my idea of fun is not checking every nook and cranny in every screen just to find another Phoenix Down.

TWEWY sounds really familiar, I feel like it maybe had a ton of hype when it came out or something? I don't have a cell phone anymore so no Android or iOS for me at the moment. Whenever I get a new one I have FF3 waiting for me on my Google play though ^_^

I want to like Skyrim, I really do. I can actually play it now because my brother has a 360 and a copy, maybe I should give myself some time to get into it, it just hasn't hooked me yet. Haven't played any Fallout besides like 5 minutes trying the original on GoG a few years ago. I think I'd love Deux Ex from what I've heard for the plot but I always imagined it would be a clunky old game. Never heard of Shadowrun Dragonfall. Heard of Dragon Age but never really thought much of it. I played Mass Effect 2 when I had a 360 but I got bored maybe 1/3 or 1/2 of the way in, not a hue fan of FPS besides multiplayer CoD. I don't know anything about VC (though I've heard the name) or TitS (lol). I don't think I'm a huge dungeon crawler guy but maybe if the gameplay is amazing. A lot of these sound like good games that would bore the poo poo out of me pretty quickly, I dunno. I really like good turn based combat with thoughtful mechanics.

This is definitely giving me some ideas, though in a weird twist of fate I am oddly finding myself wanting to give Skyrim a try again, gonna copypasta this so I don't forget all of your recommendations.

Oh, and reading my post it might have sounded like I was asking for help with my life lollllll, nope just video games, keep your armchair psychology to yourself nerdos ;)

TWEWY - I don't think it had a lot of hype but it's a pretty innovative game using DS' two screens to great effect. That said I liked the iOS version better. You could easily emulate the DS but I have no idea how the control scheme would work without the stylus. Maybe if it's a tablet. Its' absolutely worth a playthrough. FFIII is a bore compared to that. IMO, if anything, try FFIV, it's a better game in most aspects.

- Shadowrun Dragonfall - futuristic tech mixed with magic in somewhat apocalyptic setting but not quite. It's cheap and it's a great game. It's the second story by HBS in the universe but the first is a lot worse. Anyway, it's pretty awesome.

- Dragon Age Origins - pretty great game, somewhat interesting story/chars, good combat system. This is all applied to PC version, i have no idea how this works on a console.

- Mass Effect 1 - specifically said 1 since it's still an RPG and not a shooter like 2&3. I thought the first game was pretty cool even though controls were clunky (especially the ground vehicle portion), but at least y ou could kind of see what they were going for before saying gently caress it, let's make a TPS with RPG elements.

- Fallout/Skyrim - same company, one scifi (based on 1950s america) and the other fantasy with some dragons. I could never play these on a console since that would not let me use mods for the games as that's the saving grace of the Bethesda games. Fallout New Vegas probably has the best story progression in vanilla out of Fallout, Fallout NV and Skyrim. Skyrim with mods is pretty good on the PC.

Valkyrie Chronicles - it's WW2 with not-Germany attacking not-Netherlands and a militia captain and his waifu resist the onslaught. Story jumps around, sometimes there is racism, concentration camps and seriously bad poo poo going on and sometimes you play with flying pigs and then magic girls start blowing poo poo up. It's SRPG and a pretty good one at that. I'd say VC is one of my favorite PS3 exclusives, well, before the Steam version. Definitely worth a play through.

TitS - Legend of Heroes - Trails in the Sky - slow start, straightforward but interesting magic/combat system (a bit dated), great story but it takes a while to develop. Game ends on a cliffhanger but the sequel is finally being released this year (probably summer). It's a great game with story being better then gameplay (which is still pretty darn good), interesting characters, good world building.

Nier - one of Square's best games last gen. Very good music, great storyline, somewhat clunky gameplay, and you will probably want at least couple playthroughs.

Good thing is pretty much none of the above games require grinding if you pay attention to the underlying systems. The main takeaway though is if you have a PC good enough for decent PS2 emulation, you should be able to play the above games without many issues (not Nier, that's console only).

Enrico Furby
Jun 28, 2003

by Hand Knit

oblomov posted:

stuff aboot vidcons

Thank you! I'll add this to my notepad file and feel it out over time. Nier was at the top of my list (I don't feel like modding or actually purchasing anything I MEAN I ALREADY OWN COPIES OF EVERY GAME I AM CONSIDERING EMULATING) so I am sad to hear that.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
Also if you emulate suokoden 2 you can patch the disc you legally ripped from your 200$ game to fix all the bugs

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

al-azad posted:

It's kind of a Japanese thing, really. Final Fantasy VIII involves children raised in military academies as magic slinging assassins. You just got done trying to kill a witch and now you have to hurry back to school for the big dance where your friends are trying to set you up with a girl you don't like and look there's a girly mag someone happened to leave on the ground lol.

Actually the "underage teen/kids at war" thing isn't actually wrong. For once. Something they mention in the profile stuff is that the nation's really militaristic to the point basic training is part of regular schoolwork. It's why the militia's actually halfway competent instead of a bunch of drafted idiots who can barely hold a rifle, and they're down to drafting in the teens because it's just that bad. Plus you've got the WWI-esque thing of them sneaking in to join anyway for various reasons of their own.

The posing-after-every-kill thing is just regular anime though.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

its also something that happened in real life a lot (although probably not the 12 year old in ww2) and it and common complaints like the soldiers not being doom and gloom 24/7 or them having friendly interactions with the enemy are things that happened regularly irl, but i've rambled enough about that in the steam thread

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."

corn in the bible posted:

Also if you emulate suokoden 2 you can patch the disc you legally ripped from your 200$ game to fix all the bugs

http://www.herrvillain.com/suikoden/GS2_Patch_2.01.065b_2013-12-19.zip

Linking dis. There is one outstanding bug that the author hasn't patched yet.
It's the Tinto bug. Aside from that, all outstanding bugs should be patched.

Dr. Eldarion
Mar 21, 2001

Deal Dispatcher

RadicalR posted:

outstanding bug

I love this phrase. It makes me think that the big is really, really special.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
So I'm playing through Valkyria Chronicles and holy gently caress there are way too many cutscenes. I just want to fight some enemy soldiers dammit! :axe:

oblomov posted:

Good thing is pretty much none of the above games require grinding if you pay attention to the underlying systems.

I don't get why some people say grinding is common in RPGs. I've probably played like five RPGs in my life where I actually had to grind.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

people are dumb and their default strategy against a boss they can't beat is to grind until they can beat it down mindlessly

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
So is it possible to rip Sega Saturn RPGs to your computer via a disc you own and paid for and patch them in English?

Because Sakura Wars has way more text than panzer Dragoon and it's getting annoying looking through an ipad translation program.

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012

All Else Failed posted:

Shin Megami Tensei games are considered "hard", especially Digital Devil Saga and Nocturne, because they use a combat system which encourages players to make teams that can cover a wide variety of enemy weaknesses while covering their own, and strongly encourages the use of buffs and debuffs. Nocturne can be a bit obtuse since you need to find, recruit and fuse demons as party members, and getting useful skills from demon fusion and evolution can be a bit difficult, especially since demons only have 8 move slots and moves overwrite each other. DDS is a more streamlined system where you can edit your skill lists at any time and skills are unlocked by paying currency on a skill tree (as well as :black101: EATING YOUR ENEMIES ALIVE :black101: for skill points), but the skills cost a lot of money and it becomes easier if you're able to plan out what skills to acquire so you don't waste money on useless poo poo.

Both games do have random encounters and some rather dickish dungeons, so watch out for that.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Gamma Nerd posted:

Nocturne can be a bit obtuse since you need to find, recruit and fuse demons as party members, and getting useful skills from demon fusion and evolution can be a bit difficult, especially since demons only have 8 move slots and moves overwrite each other.

I felt nooooo shame in using the Heretic Mansion program to plot out my fusion chains in Nocturne. Made things so much easier.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

The Taint Reaper posted:

So is it possible to rip Sega Saturn RPGs to your computer via a disc you own and paid for and patch them in English?

Because Sakura Wars has way more text than panzer Dragoon and it's getting annoying looking through an ipad translation program.

its certainly possible if there's a translation patch for that game, i.e. the shining force 3 trilogy

i dont think there is a sakura wars patch though?

Enrico Furby
Jun 28, 2003

by Hand Knit

Gamma Nerd posted:

Shin Megami Tensei games are considered "hard", especially Digital Devil Saga and Nocturne, because they use a combat system which encourages players to make teams that can cover a wide variety of enemy weaknesses while covering their own, and strongly encourages the use of buffs and debuffs. Nocturne can be a bit obtuse since you need to find, recruit and fuse demons as party members, and getting useful skills from demon fusion and evolution can be a bit difficult, especially since demons only have 8 move slots and moves overwrite each other. DDS is a more streamlined system where you can edit your skill lists at any time and skills are unlocked by paying currency on a skill tree (as well as :black101: EATING YOUR ENEMIES ALIVE :black101: for skill points), but the skills cost a lot of money and it becomes easier if you're able to plan out what skills to acquire so you don't waste money on useless poo poo.

Both games do have random encounters and some rather dickish dungeons, so watch out for that.

I like the idea of using buffs and debuffs more, I feel like in most RPGs they simply a waste of a turn. Everything else sounds like a lot of unnecessary work, and I kinda hate when a game punishes you for not knowing something you couldn't really have known at the time.

I turned to some Facebook friends for recommendations too (though I've decided to keep giving Ruby a chance for now and then try Suikoden 2 and try some Skyrim when no one's using the living room). I am hearing lots of love for Xenogears, Legend of Dragoon, and the original Tales game on SNES. A friend also mentioned Wild Arms (I've always heard 2 mentioned), Saga Frontier, and Unlimited Saga. And Rogue Galaxy but I can't remember what the consensus itt was of that game. Is he wildly wrong or right about any of these? I'm really leaning toward Legend of Dragoon.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

For Tales of Phantasia, if you want to give it a try, I'd suggest using one of the two translations for the PSX version, rather the SNES version. Plays a lot better.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

Gamma Nerd posted:

This is probably going to be just me posting my favorite jRPGs that I've already posted in the thread a million times, heh. Digital Devil Saga duology and SMT: Nocturne, for starters. Fairly hard games but unique settings/aesthetics and great music. I'd also say The World Ends With You because it's fantastic, but considering its control scheme, it may be annoying to play on emulator using a mouse.

FYI I played TWEWY to the end on the computer with a mouse and save for a single fight where you can only use a mic-controlled pin so you either let your partner do the job or you find a way to emulate the NDS mic. Most of the actions you have to do are very general like click and drag or such, which a mouse works well with. Still better with a stylus, but perfectly playable with a mouse.

I still wonder if Square Enix will ever do anything with that single frame they added for the iOS port.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Pretty sure Desmume lets you bind a button to blast high volume white noise into the mic. The DS mic really isn't sensitive enough to tell more than the presence of sound.

Microcline
Jul 27, 2012

All Else Failed posted:

I like the idea of using buffs and debuffs more, I feel like in most RPGs they simply a waste of a turn. Everything else sounds like a lot of unnecessary work, and I kinda hate when a game punishes you for not knowing something you couldn't really have known at the time.

I turned to some Facebook friends for recommendations too (though I've decided to keep giving Ruby a chance for now and then try Suikoden 2 and try some Skyrim when no one's using the living room). I am hearing lots of love for Xenogears, Legend of Dragoon, and the original Tales game on SNES. A friend also mentioned Wild Arms (I've always heard 2 mentioned), Saga Frontier, and Unlimited Saga. And Rogue Galaxy but I can't remember what the consensus itt was of that game. Is he wildly wrong or right about any of these? I'm really leaning toward Legend of Dragoon.

Xenogears is long, full of PSX bullshit and is mainly remembered for its story. You'd be better off reading TheDarkId's LP in the LP archive. Hivemind consensus (so much as it exists) is that Legend of Dragoon and Rogue Galaxy are acceptable if you're hurting for JRPGs with specific settings (Fantasy and Space Fantasy) but are slow and uninspired otherwise.

You said you liked FFX-2 and FFTA. Have you tried FFV? It has a class system similar to X-2/TA, is relatively short at around 24 hours game-time, and doesn't require any grinding.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

All Else Failed posted:

I'll second the love for Xenogears and Suikoden 2.

I'll derecommend (looks like it's not a word, but it should be) Tales for SNES. You said you wanted something unique. Tales of Phantasia was the most unremarkable JRPG I've ever played. It's cookie-cutter cliche JRPG in everything but the 2D battles. And if you're playing it for the battles, there has to be Tales games with better.. everything. I haven't played all of them, but I imagine all of them have to have better everything. Tales of Phantasia was so weak. I think you could do better with almost any SNES RPG. How's about Earthbound? That's very unique.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

All Else Failed posted:

The guy who suggested Unlimited Saga is fuckin' with you as good bros do, but everything else on that list is pretty okay. Like, Tales of Phantasia (the SNES one) is okay, I liked it well enough but the last two-thirds of the game is pretty dumb. While I didn't play enough of it to have an honest opinion on Legend of Dragoon, I liked what I saw of it but also hear that it's kinda uninspired and makes no effort to get you enthusiastic about it and its biggest claim is having been Sony's flagship first party RPG for the PS1, so try not to expect too much out of it if you decide to go with that over any of the other titles.

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012

All Else Failed posted:

do not play unlimited saga

the saga games are even more user-unfriendly than SMT games honestly

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Kyte posted:

FYI I played TWEWY to the end on the computer with a mouse and save for a single fight where you can only use a mic-controlled pin so you either let your partner do the job or you find a way to emulate the NDS mic. Most of the actions you have to do are very general like click and drag or such, which a mouse works well with. Still better with a stylus, but perfectly playable with a mouse.

I still wonder if Square Enix will ever do anything with that single frame they added for the iOS port.

If you're talking about the ending teaser, that was just a promo for a social game that got killed a while back.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

tales of phantasia for PS1 is a little better, since it introduces the skit system from later games and gives the characters more, well, character. It's still a little generic plot-wise and battles aren't that great but everyone feels so much more lively.

that said if you want a 2d, 'classic' feeling tales game, I'd go for Eternia over the others.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

As someone who has fond memories of Legend of Dragoon, the most interesting thing about it is that half the combat is a rhythm game. Whether that's a good or bad thing is up to you. Everything else is serviceable enough but nothing exciting.

I'd still say give it a shot, though. It's an enjoyable game if you can get used to the combat, it's just kind of generic.

Enrico Furby
Jun 28, 2003

by Hand Knit
Yeah, I'm definitely not looking for mediocrity when I have so many games to try.

Never played FFV, no. My problem with these classic RPGs, like what I'm currently getting bored of already with Ruby, is that I am just turboing through random encounters because all I need to do is auto attack. I got quite far into FFVI and realized, hm, I am basically just running a sprite around a bunch and turboing. Then I used a guide because I hate not knowing what to do next sometimes, and I was like.. why am I even doing this? Then the save file corrupted and I was almost relieved. You might say stop turboing, but then I'm just slogging through a bunch of bullshit pressing A slowly. I realize that's basically what jRPGs are, so I'm wondering if maybe I would be better off playing a harder one in that case, iunno.

My bro-ham indeed said the combat system was really good in Legend of Dragoon for that reason. The other one mentioned Unlimited Saga because of some board game-esque twist which sounded good on paper but it looks like it didn't get great reviews and you guys hate it.

Ummm, so was about to download Suikoden 2, but there are 5 Suikodens. Why wouldn't I just cop V which is rated just about as good as 2? The more modern a game feels the better for me usually.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

2 is better

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

You could play OPOONA

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

v has a literally 15-hour long intro before the game really starts

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

All Else Failed posted:

Ummm, so was about to download Suikoden 2, but there are 5 Suikodens. Why wouldn't I just cop V which is rated just about as good as 2? The more modern a game feels the better for me usually.

2 feels more modern than 5, and also is way less tedious. suikoden V means 30 second load times for random battles, plus the 20 hour intro where you don't get to do anything

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012

Nihilarian posted:

As someone who has fond memories of Legend of Dragoon, the most interesting thing about it is that half the combat is a rhythm game. Whether that's a good or bad thing is up to you. Everything else is serviceable enough but nothing exciting.

I'd still say give it a shot, though. It's an enjoyable game if you can get used to the combat, it's just kind of generic.

Legend of Dragoon's combat system is basically a watered-down Shadow Hearts though

if you want an RPG with a substantial timing element, SH3 is the way to go. Just, uh, the story and aesthetic are a little bit... uneven.

SpitztheGreat
Jul 20, 2005
I'll also jump in a unrecommend Legend of Dragoon. It was an ambitious game for its time and spans four disks, but the game is nothing more than mediocre. It has a really lame battle system and is slow and boring. If you're looking for something inspired this is not the game to turn to.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h079hiothj8 technicallyy an rpg right

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

if nothing else it's fun to watch the LoD cutscenes. some of them are legitimately cool but mostly it trutly great 'bad' voice acting https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FA7thv_EvJQ#t=310