Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

Strange Quark posted:

If you're talking about the ending teaser, that was just a promo for a social game that got killed a while back.

Oh so that's what it was. What a goddamn waste.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

Cake Attack posted:

people are dumb and their default strategy against a boss they can't beat is to grind until they can beat it down mindlessly

I'm late to the party but this a thousand times. It boggles the mind sometimes.
"Status effects? Buffs? Debuffs? What are those? What do you mean I shouldn't be level 25 by chapter 2?"
I think Pokemon gives people bad habits.

HGH fucked around with this message at 11:20 on Jan 27, 2015

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
yea im almsot certain that the consensus is that legend of dragoon is bad a reputation it has earned

however wildarms 2

Variant_Eris
Nov 2, 2014

Exhibition C: Colgate white smile

Wild ARMs 2 posted:

[Kanon makes it to her escape pod.]

Kanon: I finally reached the escape pod. I'm going to pray that this
escape pod doesn't turn into my casket. I mean, how tacky.

[Kanon moves forward.]

Kanon: The barometric pressure is changing so quickly! What's
happening? It can't be! We're not falling! It's just the
opposite of that. The ship's engineers are sending the Heimdal
Gazzo to the heavens. No, we're ascending to a sea of stars!
At this rate we'll...

Ashley: >Kanon, Kanon! It's me, Ashley! It's the voice of your heart.
The emphatite in the communicator lead me here! The altitude
of the Heimdal Gazzo is rising rapidly! But don't give up!
We can't be finished off now, not like this!

[The lock on Kanon's pod releases.]

Kanon: I can hear your heart's voice, too. You're right. It can't end.
I can hear it, too. Mixed in your heart's voice is the howl of
the Demon. Don't worry. I'm the one who will exorcise it out of
you. That's why you need to survive no matter what. Got it?

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

I like Legend of Dragoon because you're basically playing medieval power rangers. It's like The Mystic Knights of Tir Na Nog: The Game.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Its a good game but doesn't hold up very well, I might try loving around with it in an emulator with some shaders/etc.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

All Else Failed posted:

I just read through like the last 50 pages of this thread because it was genuinely interesting and friendly chat, and now I'm wondering if the thread can help me. Though I suspect you can't -- not because of you, because I don't think there's really anything to help me with.

For the past, I dunno, 5 years or so, I haven't really gamed. I have, but not for realsies. The pas 2.5-3 years have been a lot of League of Legends, and I've played Charles Barkley's Shut Up and Jam Gaiden which is maybe the most important thing to ever happen to humanity, and I did a nice stint of iphone gaming a couple of years ago. Just lots of dabbling because at one point I had a life and other hobbies (not anymore, I'm back to being a loving loser).

Anyway, I've been growing tired of online gaming and have slowly taken to emulating again (I can emulate PS2 now which is a new development, finally got to check out God Hand which I heard about on the forums many years ago but I lost interest after fighting the loving Leblanc poo poo with her stupid hearts) because as far as I can tell, video games are pretty trash nowadays, especially if you like JRPGs. Also as far as I can tell, I am a mere pedestrian in this world compared to you folks.

I emulated Chrono Trigger and didn't get very far before my computer crashed last year. Probably close to ten years ago I played FFTA and loving loved it. I think I squeezed in like 1/3 of Mario RPG too (I know, I was the kid with Sega and not SNES). When I was younger and had a PS2/GC, I absolutely loving loved FFX and FFX-2 (and obviously FF7 when I got around to playing it -- and FF12 bored the gently caress out of me mostly) and even though I don't replay games much, have been considering just revisiting those. And even though I don't replay games much, I have beat Paper Mario: Thousand Year Door like 3 times because it's honestly a loving great game.

Recently I played through about 2/3 of FFVI before my save file got corrupted (I was kind of bored anyway, lots of turbo-ing and pressing A because random encounters are easy and boooooring) and just today I decided, gently caress it, I'm going to make up for lost time and grab Pokemon Ruby because I barely touched Pokemon as a kid. I played Dragon Quest VIII for about 20 minutes on recommendation and honestly have no desire to touch it again, I hated the menu/equip setup and the control scheme (though that part could be remedied easily I guess).

(I'd also like to thank the thread for reminding me of Shadow Hearts: Covenant and to a lesser extent Lost Odyssey, and a lesser extent Tales of Vesperia as I had a 360 instead of a PS3, those were probably my last forays into RPGs until recently)

My question is, given that like with all things, I tend to like to skim off the top and only spend time on the cream of the crop (at least as I consider them) and don't really have an interest in grinding out some lovely JRPG just because, are there any games you guys can truly recommend to me that won't make me want to pee on your head after an hour? I have heard of a bunch of the games mentioned here but I am just skeptical all around, I kinda feel like you have to be a die-hard enthusiast to enjoy it anymore. Would I be better off just running through FF X-2 or FFTA again after all these years or maybe sticking with Ruby? I think I've just realized that like with all things, the classics are cool but they don't really totally do it for me. I'd also like to mention that I don't mind things being somewhat on the rails, I never got into games like Skyrim because I feel like there is no goddamned point to them and the options are too overwhelming, it's a life simulator almost.

Does any of this make sense? Sorry for the rambling but just trying to give some context into the kind of pleb rear end in a top hat I am here so you know not to tell me to play an obscure lovely game that barely anyone itt likes. I've considered Grandia II as well but I honestly don't like pointless grinding, I like a good challenge but not having to sperg out about a game or force myself to stay interested for 100 hours in order to play it properly. Mostly, I just like games that feel unique and well-crafted.

Anyone?

Surprised nobody else asked or mentioned this but what about Chrono Cross? Have yo played that?

I'd recommend it.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

I really like bravely default

Changing encounter rates and difficulty on the fly is great

Do bosses scale or something? Even with some grinding I thought I'd stomp the dark mage but he loving hurt

The brave default thing is so simple and really fun

This and awakening on hard with no permadeath feel and play super fun

The stories are fun too!

The only thing I don't get in fire emblem is the grunts and one word responses instead of full spoken dialogue but that's a minor thing

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"
So I just started Wild Arms 2, played about five minutes of Brad's prologue last night before going to bed. Anything I should know? I already know about Liz and Ard.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

The ARMs can be upgraded a limited number of times. Brad is the guy with 100% hit ability? Never boost his weapons' accuracy and put it all in power.

Lucky Card every monster boss for double XP. Liz and Ard and their colleagues tend to run away repeatedly and leave you with zero reward, so the cards are a waste on them, and you won't be able to grind for the item for a while. Double boss XP will let you skip most random battles which are awful.

Don't expect to have any impact on the plot for the entire first disc. WA3 is infinitely better written because even when they retreat and recycle bosses they at least acknowledge that heroes do prevent the villains from doing poo poo the easy way. WA2 will poo poo on you for at least 20 hours.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

ZenVulgarity posted:

I really like bravely default

Changing encounter rates and difficulty on the fly is great

Do bosses scale or something? Even with some grinding I thought I'd stomp the dark mage but he loving hurt
I don't think so, I think the game is just sort of naturally hard on Normal. Some of the later bosses essentially require you to be cheap and break the game in order to win.

Mr. Sunabouzu
Nov 13, 2009

The face of true terror.
Bravely default didn't hook me, the battle system was kind of hard to get into for some reason, I could never commit to charging up or spending a charge.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time

SelenicMartian posted:

The ARMs can be upgraded a limited number of times. Brad is the guy with 100% hit ability? Never boost his weapons' accuracy and put it all in power.

Lucky Card every monster boss for double XP. Liz and Ard and their colleagues tend to run away repeatedly and leave you with zero reward, so the cards are a waste on them, and you won't be able to grind for the item for a while. Double boss XP will let you skip most random battles which are awful.

Don't expect to have any impact on the plot for the entire first disc. WA3 is infinitely better written because even when they retreat and recycle bosses they at least acknowledge that heroes do prevent the villains from doing poo poo the easy way. WA2 will poo poo on you for at least 20 hours.
Look up how to unlock Lilka's upgraded spells, because iirc it's kinda obscure and they really, really help (especially if you don't want to use The Most Annoying Character).

Also, yeah, prepare for some translation fun. Just accept that sometimes things don't make any sense. The experience is a bit like having a weird dream!

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

So I just played KOTOR 1 and 2 for the first time. 2 was way better.

I was looking around for some other old school WRPGs to play and was considering Neverwinter Nights. The sequel is apparently way better.

Also was considering Fallout. 3 has a lot of mixed reaction but everyone loves New Vegas.

The common theme among all of this is Obsidian Does It Better.

Maybe they should make all WRPGs.

Any recommendations? I'm kinda addicted to "the power of choice." It's not something I'm used to in JRPGs. But after DragoN Age, Mass Effect and KOTOR, I am rapidly discovering I love the ability to alter things in the game to my liking.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR
Obsidian are just really slow, so if they have an already existing game to work on top of they tend to churn out good product.

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.

NikkolasKing posted:

I was looking around for some other old school WRPGs to play and was considering Neverwinter Nights. The sequel is apparently way better.

Also was considering Fallout. 3 has a lot of mixed reaction but everyone loves New Vegas.

Any recommendations? I'm kinda addicted to "the power of choice." It's not something I'm used to in JRPGs. But after DragoN Age, Mass Effect and KOTOR, I am rapidly discovering I love the ability to alter things in the game to my liking.

Not really classified as an RPG but Way of the Samurai 4 is coming out on the pc in February and that entire franchise is about making decisions and having them alter the story.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

NikkolasKing posted:

Neverwinter Nights 1 is good, really good, it just has a slow second chapter. 2 is good, but only if you get the platinum/diamond version because base 2 had the worst UI. Also, consider The Witcher, the combat in the first is a bit odd but it's a really great story that revolves around your choices.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

NikkolasKing posted:

Neverwinter Nights 2 is unremitting garbage.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

corn in the bible posted:

Neverwinter Nights 2 is unremitting garbage.

correction: the OC is a real slog with some high points but a lot of low points. MoTB is super cool though and Storm of Zehir is pretty fun too in a more open kind of way.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

It is true the people who recommended NWN2 elsewhere specified that I needed to get the Expansions since MOTB is apparently what makes the game so great. Which is odd to me that an expansion would be the highlight of a game but I'm not used to PC gaming in general so maybe that's not that uncommon.

TARDISman posted:

Also, consider The Witcher, the combat in the first is a bit odd but it's a really great story that revolves around your choices.

Sadly not an option for me. I have a really lovely computer and so my PC gaming is restricted to older things for the moment.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

NikkolasKing posted:

It is true the people who recommended NWN2 elsewhere specified that I needed to get the Expansions since MOTB is apparently what makes the game so great. Which is odd to me that an expansion would be the highlight of a game but I'm not used to PC gaming in general so maybe that's not that uncommon.

The same thing is said for Shadowrun Returns/Shadowrun Dragon fall too. If anything it's becoming more common due to the concept of standalone dlc.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

NikkolasKing posted:

MotB is essentially a standalone campaign and doesn't require you to play through the original campaign to get it (there are like two returning characters in smaller roles but nothing major). It's also really fantastic.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
NWN2 isn't bad if you realize it is Generic_DND_Campaign.docx but it is pretty good for that, in my opinion IMO

al-azad
May 28, 2009

You can probably run at least the first Witcher. It's running on the same engine that NWN nights uses and isn't a very complex game.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I looked up the specs for The Witcher and I might indeed be able to run it. Still, that's only 1 game out of 3. I'd have to play it then wait until I got a better PC. So I think I'll just hold off until I get that better PC then get all three.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Jan 27, 2015

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Unless you're getting a big raise, you're not going to be able to play Witcher 3 anytime soon. The computer specs are bonkers for even an above-average pc gamer.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Tae posted:

Unless you're getting a big raise, you're not going to be able to play Witcher 3 anytime soon. The computer specs are bonkers for even an above-average pc gamer.

They're not that bad. The recommended video card is a little high but everything else is pretty solidly midrange. The processor looks scary but really isn't significantly better than a current gen i5.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Witcher 2 is pretty well optimized so unless you have like a ten year old computer or something it will run fine on low/lowest settings and it won't look like poo poo.

SpitztheGreat
Jul 20, 2005

HGH posted:

I'm late to the party but this a thousand times. It boggles the mind sometimes.
"Status effects? Buffs? Debuffs? What are those? What do you mean I shouldn't be level 25 by chapter 2?"
I think Pokemon gives people bad habits.

I can't lie, I've been guilty of this before, and I think a lot of it goes back to my first time playing through Lunar: SSSC. I guess that's part of why Grandia II is so great, you really don't have to worry about grinding because you're never too far from a recovery point; and on top of that you naturally replenish your MP and SP bars over time. This feature gave the player the ability to just sit back and get creative with how they went through a dungeon. On the flip side, there's few things worse than fighting your way through a dungeon, getting worn down by hundreds of random encounters, just to fight a boss when you're at your weakest. I can see it in my current play through of Shinning the Holy Ark, if you push through a dungeon in one go you're probably going to be fairly beaten down in both health and magic. Add to the fact there aren't any really good buffs/debuffs (at least yet there aren't) I find myself getting 50-70% through a dungeon and teleporting out to save/heal and then finishing it off. Maybe this seems excessive, but I've learned to be cautious in games, and going up against a boss half cocked and without any useful buffs just doesn't seem like a good idea.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

Look up how to unlock Lilka's upgraded spells, because iirc it's kinda obscure and they really, really help (especially if you don't want to use The Most Annoying Character).

Also, yeah, prepare for some translation fun. Just accept that sometimes things don't make any sense. The experience is a bit like having a weird dream!

Isn't there at least one puzzle that you have to look up a guide because of the translation? (I know the Roman god one was bungled, but is there anything else?)

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

NikkolasKing posted:

If you've played KOTOR2 then the 'feel' of NWN2 will be familiar but you'll feel like it's been awkwardly crammed into a fantasy setting to make it 'fit' and the OC is all kinds of weird and up and down. The expansion is cool but it assumes you've played the OC and wants you to make a level 18 character or import your old one which can be a bit crazy for someone not familiar with DnD.

Fallout New Vegas is great and it regularly goes on sale on Steam for like $8 for literally all the DLC, and it's highly moddable, so I'd recommend that. You can probably get it for that price off this guy in SA-Mart http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3599565 .

Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

Okay... Keep your head, Steve boy...

NikkolasKing posted:

If you're looking for story and lots of choice in dialog, Planescape: Torment would be an obvious recommendation (especially since you liked KOTOR2, and Chris Avellone was lead designer on both). I don't think the combat in Torment is very good, but luckily you can talk your way out of pretty much everything.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines is a WRPG classic and worth playing despite it making GBS threads itself at the end gameplay-wise. Just either cheat or go for a solid combat build and you should be fine.

Also, while its recent, Shadowrun Dragonfall is really drat good and a must play.

*Edit* Oh I forgot, get Alpha Protocol. AP is a must play too.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Accordion Man posted:

Also, while its recent, Shadowrun Dragonfall is really drat good and a must play.
I burned out on Shadowrun when I went from Dead Man's Switch straight into Dragonfall (this was just as the Director's Cut had been released). When the game wouldn't let me go back to get that vase... dude.

quote:

I think the game is great, but it's also a little cult classic and, having recommended it multiple times to varying degrees of reception, I will preface that it isn't for everyone. If you like puzzley, patient stealth (or run in and punch everyone in the throat stealth once your level is high enough), you'll probably really enjoy it.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

The White Dragon posted:

I burned out on Shadowrun when I went from Dead Man's Switch straight into Dragonfall (this was just as the Director's Cut had been released). When the game wouldn't let me go back to get that vase... dude.

I think the game is great, but it's also a little cult classic and, having recommended it multiple times to varying degrees of reception, I will preface that it isn't for everyone. If you like puzzley, patient stealth (or run in and punch everyone in the throat stealth once your level is high enough), you'll probably really enjoy it.
You really should go back to Dragonfall.

Also you really don't need to be stealthy at all in AP, its a very good build, but loud options are totally viable, especially when you can just Chain Shot an entire room full of goons if you put points into Pistols. The only weapon choice that takes some getting used to is SMGs.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
If you like baldur's gate-era stuff you should play the drakensangs!

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

My favorite thing to do in AP is still shotguns and melee with Veteran.

oblomov
Jun 20, 2002

Meh... #overrated

NikkolasKing posted:

Kotor 2 with that unreleased content mod is truly ace. If you liked it, play Fallout New Vegas since both were done by Obsidian while Kotor 1 and Fallout 3 were done by Bioware. Quality and difference in writing is very noticeably in the advantage to Obsidian. NWN2 MotB is a very good campaign, but you would probably want to go through the actual base game to see what's going on. The main game is pretty average unfortunately. However, there used to be a ton of mods helping with UI and other things so that still might be around.

Also, if you play Fallout 3 New Vegas, check out some mods (there is a Fallout 3/NV mods thread on this very forum). They make the game a lot better. Also check out Skyrim, but once again, use some mods.

Another recommendation I keep making now days is checking out Shadowrun Dragonfall as that has great storyline, interesting char development and pretty good combat.

Edit: Oh yeah, definitely play Vampire Bloodlines. It's an excellent, excellent game, but make sure to install the latest fan patch and there are some good texture mods. Once again, check out the thread on this forum.

Edit2: Everybody should play Dragonfall and then throw some cash toward Hong Kong kickstarter. Dragonfall is an excellent game.

oblomov fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Jan 28, 2015

Vakal
May 11, 2008
Gothic I & II are great games as long as you can adapt to the odd control scheme and then accept the fact that at the start even featherless chickens will kick your rear end.

If you just can't get into them, then just jump right to the first Risen, which is essentially a modernized remake. No one will blame you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

You made a fine post for yourself. ...For a casualry, I suppose.

Accordion Man posted:

Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines is a WRPG classic and worth playing despite it making GBS threads itself at the end gameplay-wise. Just either cheat or go for a solid combat build and you should be fine.

It's hard to really recommend Bloodlines because although its hub segments are absolutely great, after you cross the patented Troika "Oh poo poo budget is running out" (tm) point, it turns into a series of horribly long and horribly uninteresting gauntlets of enemies.

Alpha Protocol is just great.

If you're looking for a great cRPG, one recommendation that I'll give without reserve is SureAI's Nehrim total conversion mod for TES4: Oblivion. These guys are so loving good that they make Bethesda look like a bunch of college undergrads.

Heavy neutrino fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Jan 28, 2015