Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Coffee And Pie posted:

The Loft looks not great, but I'm kinda digging this poster:

I had a chance to screen/review this movie and chat with Karl Urban over the phone about it. I couldn't commit to it though :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

teagone posted:

I had a chance to screen/review this movie and chat with Karl Urban over the phone about it. I couldn't commit to it though :(

Did you at least get Karl Urban's number?

May I have it?

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

MacheteZombie posted:

Did you at least get Karl Urban's number?

May I have it?

Haha. Unfortunately, no. That information wouldn't be disclosed to me unless I fully agreed to author up a review.

Distorted Kiwi
Jun 11, 2014

"C'mon! Let's tune our weapons!"
Random Four-Pack: High concept edition!

Somewhere, somehow, someone thought this was a good idea.

Mama Superior?

You're combining Kung fu and a cowboy film? Who'd ever pay to see that?

Lee Van Cleef IS the goddess Khali IN...

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Distorted Kiwi posted:

You're combining Kung fu and a cowboy film? Who'd ever pay to see that?

From all reports, this movie is actually pretty bad, despite having Angel Eyes Setsuna and Pai Mei in the same movie.

Precambrian
Apr 30, 2008

Is there anything stopping Fox from creating an alternative Marvel film universe? Crossover Fantastic 4 with X-men, prominently featuring Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver? Surely there are enough X-men that they could create their own Avengers facsimile as well.

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth
Nobody suspects a thing...

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Precambrian posted:

Is there anything stopping Fox from creating an alternative Marvel film universe? Crossover Fantastic 4 with X-men, prominently featuring Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver? Surely there are enough X-men that they could create their own Avengers facsimile as well.

Not particularly, I don't think. Sony wants/wanted to create their own shared universe with Spider-Man, ignoring the fact that when you only have one series, it's a loving franchise with spin-offs, not a shared universe.

Precambrian
Apr 30, 2008

Waffleman_ posted:

Not particularly, I don't think. Sony wants/wanted to create their own shared universe with Spider-Man, ignoring the fact that when you only have one series, it's a loving franchise with spin-offs, not a shared universe.

They should invent their own heroes and completely rewrite Spider-Canon before giving the rights back to Disney. Or just take him in weird, experimental directions to either tank the IP out of spite, or create something that Disney has to really work at to contort back into shape in time for Avengers 5.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Precambrian posted:

They should invent their own heroes and completely rewrite Spider-Canon before giving the rights back to Disney. Or just take him in weird, experimental directions to either tank the IP out of spite, or create something that Disney has to really work at to contort back into shape in time for Avengers 5.

You act as though Disney wouldn't just ignore everything Sony did and reboot Spider-man again

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Waffleman_ posted:

Latest rumors have it that Spiderman is going to be returning to the Marvel Universe fold. A deal has apparently been made between Sony and Disney, but there hasn't been any word on what those details consist of other the following: the original plan was to have Spiderman appear in Captain America 3: Civil War, but it's too late for that, so he will be making his first appearance in The Avengers 3.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Nihonniboku posted:

Latest rumors have it that Spiderman is going to be returning to the Marvel Universe fold. A deal has apparently been made between Sony and Disney, but there hasn't been any word on what those details consist of other the following: the original plan was to have Spiderman appear in Captain America 3: Civil War, but it's too late for that, so he will be making his first appearance in The Avengers 3.

Last I heard, the deal did not go through.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Precambrian posted:

Next year, in addition to X-Men Apocalypse (which will conclude the reboot trilogy that First Class started), we will also get a Deadpool film and a Gambit film. An X-Force movie is rumored to be still in the writing phase and there's also the possibility of a Mystique movie. On top of that, Fox is talking with the producers of 24 about making an X-Men TV series.

edit: X-Men Apocalypse will also debut Mud's Tye Sheridan as Cyclops and Game of Throne's Sophie Turner as Jean Grey. Fox appears to be casting them for multiple films.

Precambrian posted:

Marvel is already inventing new Spidey characters. In the recent Spider-verse series, you have a woman who received her powers from the same spider that bit Peter and also an alternate universe Gwen Stacy that was bitten by the spider instead of Peter. If there's another Spider-Man movie, there's a chance they will resurrect Gwen as a superpowered character. Even Emma Stone suggested bringing her back as a clone (and also Carnage) like in Ultimate Spider-Man.

The MSJ fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Jan 28, 2015

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

I am an awesome guy and I love to make out during shitty Hollywood horror movies. I am a trendwhore!

Waffleman_ posted:

Last I heard, the deal did not go through.

Latino Review's "spoilers/speculation" on the Marvel Universe seem fairly believable and accurate. Take it with a grain of salt though.

http://www.latino-review.com/news/marvelous-da7e-78-the-fates-of-cap-thor-and-spidey

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Latino Review seems to be 50/50 nowadays in terms of accuracy.

Back to posters:

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...
God, what a poo poo and uncomfortable poster. Like the movie.

Hope it has some more homophobic and xenophobic jokes that are 'okay because we have gay and brown characters that we treat with dignity'.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
Are you mad at an episode of family guy and taking it out on the poster thread? I dont even remember any "gay or brown" characters in Ted, so uh...point proven?

That is a dumb poster though.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

The MSJ posted:

Next year, in addition to X-Men Apocalypse (which will conclude the reboot trilogy that First Class started), we will also get a Deadpool film and a Gambit film. An X-Force movie is rumored to be still in the writing phase and there's also the possibility of a Mystique movie. On top of that, Fox is talking with the producers of 24 about making an X-Men TV series.

edit: X-Men Apocalypse will also debut Mud's Tye Sheridan as Cyclops and Game of Throne's Sophie Turner as Jean Grey. Fox appears to be casting them for multiple films.

Marvel is already inventing new Spidey characters. In the recent Spider-verse series, you have a woman who received her powers from the same spider that bit Peter and also an alternate universe Gwen Stacy that was bitten by the spider instead of Peter. If there's another Spider-Man movie, there's a chance they will resurrect Gwen as a superpowered character. Even Emma Stone suggested bringing her back as a clone (and also Carnage) like in Ultimate Spider-Man.

Are you suggesting that Marvel is on board for weird experimental Spider-films, or that they're going to try and backdoor a pseudo Spider-Man? Because if it's the later there's no way on earth Disney/Marvel could make a Spider-Gwen movie without getting Sony's permission.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Skwirl posted:

Are you suggesting that Marvel is on board for weird experimental Spider-films, or that they're going to try and backdoor a pseudo Spider-Man? Because if it's the later there's no way on earth Disney/Marvel could make a Spider-Gwen movie without getting Sony's permission.

I meant that Marvel is pretty much doing Sony's job for them.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

hadnt seen this one before, its pretty good

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

corn in the bible posted:

I'm changing my name to Jack Deth.

Not my forum account name, my legal name.

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

who do you carry the torch for, my young man?
It IS the fourth Fantastic Four movie though

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

corn in the bible posted:

Never seen that Trancers poster before. Suppose it's a early prototype?

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Tim Thomerson is; JACK DETH

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Just bought a butt load of old movies on Amazon, they'll be coming in waves, here's the first batch of 'em.

I've only ever seen the original 976-EVIL, which is one of my unsung favorites. The first one was directed by Robert Englund and starred Evil Ed from Fright Night. I'm expecting this one to be nowhere near as good.

This movie is a lot more boring than I remembered. The wolfman part is still cool at least.

The eye, ear and nose sticking out of the top of the bag always looked to me like it was just the way the dudes face was supposed to be, so the guy probably just looked like a goblin or something while alive. It wasn't until I saw this poster-sized that I realized it was supposed to be just random parts sticking out the top.

One of my favorite goofy zombie movies. Don't need to see the original to follow this one, it plays out like a more sillier Return of the Living Dead.

The version of Class of 1999 I got came with a new updated (lame) cover.

I always preferred the original

gently caress your yankee blue jeans.

ROBERT GINTY PRESENTS

Gary Busey rockin the Canadian tuxedo on this poster.

My grandfather had this movie in his vhs collection and I've always wanted to watch it. Can't wait to finally see this one.

This movie's terrible, but it came bundled with some of the others.

Another bundled movie, but hey, Jeffrey Combs.

This movie scared the poo poo out of me when I was a kid.

Pretty sure this was posted before in this thread but it's too loving AWESOME to not post again.

After getting these in the mail, I decided to watch a few trailers of them while here at work, and holy poo poo, the end of the trailer for 976-EVIL 2...

:stare:

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Fun fact: the female Power Rangers wore skirts because their stunt actors were usually dudes.

I was told that all the original Japanese Power Rangers were dudes but they changed a couple of them to chicks for the American version but still used to same fight scenes to save money so that they would constantly switch genders during each episode.

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."

ruddiger posted:

This movie is a lot more boring than I remembered. The wolfman part is still cool at least.

Pretty sure this was posted before in this thread but it's too loving AWESOME to not post again.

As a kid, I was babysat by the teenage son of my father's friend, so I was brought along when he went to the theater with his friends on Friday nights.

I still vividly remember the ending to Wanted: Dead or Alive. :psyboom:

ruddiger posted:

After getting these in the mail, I decided to watch a few trailers of them while here at work, and holy poo poo, the end of the trailer for 976-EVIL 2...

In high school I worked in Blockbuster Video for awhile, and the amount they paid for each VHS tape was absurd. $89.98 would be on the low end. Seriously.

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

I am an awesome guy and I love to make out during shitty Hollywood horror movies. I am a trendwhore!

ruddiger posted:

:drat:

:wow:

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

ruddiger posted:

That's what created the rental market. Video stores would pay the 90 bucks, and you and dozens of others would rent it for 5 bucks, and that's how they made a profit.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 23 hours!

FreudianSlippers posted:

I was told that all the original Japanese Power Rangers were dudes but they changed a couple of them to chicks for the American version but still used to same fight scenes to save money so that they would constantly switch genders during each episode.

I can't speak for any of the others, but this was what happened to the Yellow Ranger in the original series. In Japan, the Pink Ranger was the only girl, but the Americans wanted a bit more than that (shockingly progressive of them, now that I think about it), so the Yellow Ranger was changed to be played by a woman.

That's why, despite not being the only girl in Power Rangers, the Pink Ranger's the only one in a skirt.

Terminal Entropy
Dec 26, 2012

Skwirl posted:

That's what created the rental market. Video stores would pay the 90 bucks, and you and dozens of others would rent it for 5 bucks, and that's how they made a profit.

5 bucks per rental, with a $100 deposit when you opened an account.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Gonna be able to gauge a general age consensus as more and more people lose their minds over MRSP video tapes in the '80/early '90s.

Somebody break out those $100 Criterion laserdiscs while we're at it.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

ruddiger posted:

Hey man, it's just a suggestion.

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

caligulamprey posted:

Gonna be able to gauge a general age consensus as more and more people lose their minds over MRSP video tapes in the '80/early '90s.

I'm nearly 30.

I don't remember them being that expensive.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

ruddiger posted:

I think I've only ever seen Waxwork 2, which if I'm remembering right involves an NES as a plot device. And torturing Bruce Campbell by ripping the skin off his chest and pouring salt and vinegar on his rib cage.

Sheldrake
Jul 19, 2006

~pettin in the park~

CaptainHollywood posted:

I'm nearly 30.

I don't remember them being that expensive.

I worked at a videostore starting in '98 and they were that expensive. It wasn't until DVDs came around that everything began to be priced to own, and studios would clamp down hard on videostores that just went to Wal Mart and bought titles the day of rather than pay the higher prices. Like, studios would send people around to video stores and count how many copies of things they had. poo poo used to be nuts until Netflix came along and changed everything.

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Dillbag posted:

And the Facebook page's description:

I can't believe they made a Short Circuit joke in their own promotional material. :psyduck:

It's cool that the real plot of the movie is slowly being revealed after the fakeout of the first trailer.

Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

Okay... Keep your head, Steve boy...

Sheldrake posted:

I worked at a videostore starting in '98 and they were that expensive. It wasn't until DVDs came around that everything began to be priced to own

VHS tapes were nowhere near that expensive that late. I bought some movies for myself as a kid, and I wasn't exactly loaded. As early as the late '80s/early '90s you had stuff like this:

A Home Alone VHS for $24.98

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8hv5yo8zqaY

Little Mermaid for $23.99

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PkJn63wt8BQ

And so on. I think the $90 video tape phenomenon was pretty confined to the early days of the market.

Erebus fucked around with this message at 07:14 on Jan 30, 2015

dirtgolem
Dec 22, 2011

Wounds are always fresh and so the scabs are never dry
Gutter is the place in which we choose to live our lives
Square inside a circle is the symbol in my eye
Home is where the gutter is and this is where I'll die
Video tapes sold to rental stores by distributors for lease by their customers were absolutely $90 and above per copy. Most tent pole releases were $110 per copy. I still have a copy of Army of Darkness floating around here somewhere with the Fox branded (AU)$110 sticker on the cover.

The home video market was treated differently.

dirtgolem fucked around with this message at 07:48 on Jan 30, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

Erebus posted:

VHS tapes were nowhere near that expensive that late. I bought some movies for myself as a kid, and I wasn't exactly loaded. As early as the late '80s/early '90s you had stuff like this:

A Home Alone VHS for $24.98

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8hv5yo8zqaY

Little Mermaid for $23.99

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PkJn63wt8BQ

And so on. I think the $90 video tape phenomenon was pretty confined to the early days of the market.

Those would be to purchase personally for the home video market. The higher prices were charged to retailers (Though in the early days regular people could still purchase them too). Sometimes if you would buy ex-rental VHS the sticker would still be on there. I'm in the UK but the system still worked the same. When DVD came out the prices dropped for VHS but it was still pretty high for DVDs. The company I worked for (Choices video, for anyone in the UK) hosed themselves because they would order giant amounts of everything. Some direct to DVD dreck would come out and they would purchase an easy 20 or so copies per store and a couple of weeks later would sell them on as ex-rental (Where they wouldn't get bought either).

Rentals were never sustainable when everyone got greedy (Blame Blockbuster yes, but then blame studios for jacking prices) but there's a town about 30 or so miles from me that still has a rental store. I've no idea if the system still works the same way.

DrVenkman fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Jan 30, 2015