Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

I'm too busy thinkin' about my baby. Oh I ain't got time for nothin' else.
Slime TrainerS
Sack of gems are starting to look like the actual diamond industry with people creating artificial scarcity. At least I assume it's a group of people and not some malevolent AI.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImPureAwesome
Sep 6, 2007

the king of the beach

Jamfrost posted:

Sack of gems are starting to look like the actual diamond industry with people creating artificial scarcity. At least I assume it's a group of people and not some malevolent AI.

What's the upside to caring about gems

markgreyam
Mar 10, 2008

Talk to the mittens.
Gifts to welcome our new malevolent AI overlords, presumably.

They're also colourful and shiny.

Pews
Mar 7, 2006

one thousand years of anime
Grimey Drawer

ImPureAwesome posted:

What's the upside to caring about gems

if you sperg out you can make a steady stream of steambux for minimum effort.

Pews fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Jan 27, 2015

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
Huh, Gearbox just upgraded their Community Day 2013 fan pass codes to the full Homeworld pack.

They sold them as being just Homeworld 1/Classic. That's nice of them.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Ragequit posted:

Haha you are stocking gems? Shine on you crazy diamond.

Not stocking them, I just buy sacks when I need to get some cash to buy a game. It goes

"spend $6 on 12 sacks of gems ->
Unpack to 12,000 gems ->
turn gems into booster packs of rare cards ->
(optional, depending on the +/- EV of the booster)
unpack pack ->
sell cards for more than 60c, thus gaining money"

It's painless, takes a few minutes, and every so often I hit a foil and pay for a six-pack of beer.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!
Some beautiful soul is working on putting the original Resident Evil voice acting into the REmake.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gkIjRPnejsg

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008

The Dark One posted:

Some beautiful soul is working on putting the original Resident Evil voice acting into the REmake.

This is good, because the only reason i haven't bought REmake is because i want the old voice acting.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Elman posted:

So, did they fix Grim Fandango's controls in the remake? I'm thinking of buying it but I can't deal with tank controls.

there's an achievement for using them, so...yes?

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY
Question: How good/responsive is the PS3's controller's (I guess DualShock 3?) D-pad? I have some fighting-esque games (Mainly Injustice, Phantom Breaker, etc), and I can't play them well with my current X360/PC controller. However, it looks like getting a DS3 to work on the PC is a pain in the rear end. Is it worth it?

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984

Morter posted:

Question: How good/responsive is the PS3's controller's (I guess DualShock 3?) D-pad? I have some fighting-esque games (Mainly Injustice, Phantom Breaker, etc), and I can't play them well with my current X360/PC controller. However, it looks like getting a DS3 to work on the PC is a pain in the rear end. Is it worth it?

If you're going to get a Playstation pad, get a DS4. If you're going to use it mainly for fighting games, get a 360 FightPad from Mad Catz.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

The Dark One posted:

The total lack of lip sync makes it even funnier. It's like watching a badly dubbed foreign movie.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

The Joe Man posted:

If you're going to get a Playstation pad, get a DS4. If you're going to use it mainly for fighting games, get a 360 FightPad from Mad Catz.

Yeah but I already have a DS3 laying around, which is why I ask. It's either that or buy an Xbone controller, as my X360 controller is only slightly starting to show wear and tear in functionality. But as you can guess, I'm not a big spender. :(

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

The Dark One posted:

This is amazing. It seems some small part of me also never realized just how bad the original voice acting is until characters that begin to approach looking normal speak it.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Fart of Presto posted:

From a couple of pages back:

I'm running Unity on max everything in 1920x1080 and I occasionally notice a pop-in or two when dealing with huge crowds, and I haven't noticed any problems with draw distance at all. The LoD could perhaps be a bit better when you are up in a tower, but that's about it.

I've also only had the game hang on me once or twice, and only a couple of quests didn't trigger a switch and I had to reload the game and everything worked again, and that's counting the first version available on Steam.

As i mentioned to Kragger earlier tonight, Unity is probably my second favourite Assassin's Creed game, Black Flag being number 1, and I definitely did not expect that considering the lovely launch they did.
I don't know how you do it then because I have a high-end PC with everything on max and the draw distance for crowds where the individual npcs turn into their high-res versions is horrendously close. When I run in a long street I can see environments gaining detail very close to me. The pop-in of npcs out of thin air isn't that bad but still happens regularly. Something like this all the time:

There are places where it's less noticable but I can't stop paying attention to it.

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

Slime TrainerS
Everyone in France is a magician.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Everblight posted:

Not stocking them, I just buy sacks when I need to get some cash to buy a game. It goes

"spend $6 on 12 sacks of gems ->
Unpack to 12,000 gems ->
turn gems into booster packs of rare cards ->
(optional, depending on the +/- EV of the booster)
unpack pack ->
sell cards for more than 60c, thus gaining money"

It's painless, takes a few minutes, and every so often I hit a foil and pay for a six-pack of beer.

That makes more sense combined with the Excel chart above, but holy moly what a waste of time for 20 cents a pop. I know I am in the minority here, but I try to play video games with my free time at night. Assassin's Creed Black Flag has been pretty drat fun lately. Also, ashamedly, Pokemon ORAS.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

The Dark One posted:

Oh drat, I thought the remastered voice acting was bad but I guess child me didn't notice how awful the original was.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

The Dark One posted:

This is like, perfectly simulated lovely camcorder horror film. It's wonderful.

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

Slime TrainerS

Ragequit posted:

That makes more sense combined with the Excel chart above, but holy moly what a waste of time for 20 cents a pop. I know I am in the minority here, but I try to play video games with my free time at night.

For some of us, it's a meta-game with the score being Steambux. It's somewhat similar to actively participating in an mmo economy, I suppose. And whenever you're bored, you can just turn your score into games. Or badges. I like badges.

What's become of me?

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Ragequit posted:

That makes more sense combined with the Excel chart above, but holy moly what a waste of time for 20 cents a pop. I know I am in the minority here, but I try to play video games with my free time at night. Assassin's Creed Black Flag has been pretty drat fun lately. Also, ashamedly, Pokemon ORAS.

I usually do this when i'm on the clock at work, so it's like free money (also it takes less than a minute)

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Ragequit posted:

That makes more sense combined with the Excel chart above, but holy moly what a waste of time for 20 cents a pop.
How many thousand posts do you have in steam threads in the last year?

I mean not to start a fight but maybe the dude finds it fun to spent 45 seconds in a day screwing with cards? You find it fun to make posts in the thread, and that's pointless too, except you find it fun?

I like posting and sometimes I like to sell cards and gently caress with gems. Life is good.

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

Ragequit posted:

Pokemon ORAS.

whats this?

Pews
Mar 7, 2006

one thousand years of anime
Grimey Drawer
Here's some games

Poöf
H9QRP-8YJF*-WPGII

Sang-Froid: Tales of Werewolves
FE4F6-NVA*6-T4QQH

*=4

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Pews posted:

Here's some games

Poöf
H9QRP-8YJF*-WPGII
I got this! Thanks :)

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Minimum got an update.

Block tittay

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

SynthOrange posted:

Minimum got an update.

Block tittay

Whoa.

But is the game fun now...

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

Slime TrainerS

SynthOrange posted:

Block tittay

These are the blocks that matter.

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Think I took a wrong turn...

Jamfrost posted:

Welp, pretty much beat HuniePop. Is the first Puzzle Quest better than the second?

Gems of War is the F2P spiritual successor to Puzzle Quest and has some pretty good content. If you're willing to play a bit every day as opposed to marathon through a game, you don't really need to pay any money.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Kly posted:

whats this?

Pokemon Omega Ruby/Alpha Sapphire.

Spiderdrake posted:

How many thousand posts do you have in steam threads in the last year?

I mean not to start a fight but maybe the dude finds it fun to spent 45 seconds in a day screwing with cards? You find it fun to make posts in the thread, and that's pointless too, except you find it fun?

I like posting and sometimes I like to sell cards and gently caress with gems. Life is good.

Posting is my suffering, my penance. I know how much he loves the gem market, we all do. I was just saying, in my opinion, it's not worth the time to make a few cents a pop through the terrible marketplace interface. If you like it then go hog wild, it's all good.

Plus you have to own all those anime games to craft the boosters which is a slippery slope itself.

KaosMachina
Oct 9, 2012

There's nothing special about me.

Pews posted:

Here's some games

Sang-Froid: Tales of Werewolves
FE4F6-NVA*6-T4QQH

*=4

I was actually eying this the other day.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

SynthOrange posted:

Block tittay

I'm more all about dem block hips myself.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Jamfrost posted:

These are the blocks that matter.
:golfclap:

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Look at those voxel bearing hips.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Why does every game on Steam now at launch tell me to "turn on" with page up and f11? I can't find anything about it online; everything I find is just as confused and it doesn't seem to do anything.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Mr. Fortitude posted:

It annoyed me because you could only go lethal while playing as him.

Nope, you can non-lethal that stretch through the railyard. You actually have a small stock of nonlethal tools and distractions, it's just about knowing when to use what and where to sneak through.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Having recently played it, I remember all this because it bugged me too: Briggs' one non-lethal way to take down enemies is his melee attack and you have to kill or knock out all the guys to move on in the first segment; there are two guys that face each other forever after their short conversation so you basically cannot perfect stealth it. The first person parts are hella stupid and I really don't know why they thought it would add anything.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

CJacobs posted:

Having recently played it, I remember all this because it bugged me too: Briggs' one non-lethal way to take down enemies is his melee attack and you have to kill or knock out all the guys to move on in the first segment; there are two guys that face each other forever after their short conversation so you basically cannot perfect stealth it. The first person parts are hella stupid and I really don't know why they thought it would add anything.

I liked the idea ( Briggs is an FPS protag learning how to be a stealthy dude like Sam, which is why his later segment is in third person. ), but yeah, the execution is lacking.

Especially since Sam is a sociopath now, and Briggs just gets demeaned constantly for doing the legitimately right things.

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Swan stole my music and framed me!

Morter posted:

I love the Sony controllers for fighting games. Having the "d-pad" as separate buttons makes it a lot harder to accidentally enter garbage inputs when dealing with diagonals. It's never going to be as good as a proper arcade stick, but in terms of d-pads I don't think anything else compares.

It used to be a PITA to get a dualshock3 working via MotionInJoy or whatever but that was ameliorated by the Scarlet Crush wrapper which sits in the background and makes games think your DS3 is a 360 controller with no extra configuration. Even works with bluetooth if you get a supported dongle (which costs like ~$10 shipped.)

Scarlet Crush is from a thread on the pcsx2 forums - http://forums.pcsx2.net/Thread-XInput-Wrapper-for-DS3-and-Play-com-USB-Dual-DS2-Controller or just google scarlet crush ps3 etc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
Watching Kragger play Dying Light through Steam Stream, and it looks great. From personal experience, a wrench can bash in way more than 10 heads before breaking though. My immersion!

• Locked thread