Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

notthegoatseguy posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if Slott originally wanted to use Norman as the villain and it was vetoed by editorial. He was the main villain in the USM show version of Spider Verse called Web Warriors.
Hell, the Spider-Man iOS game had a multidimensional Sinister Syndicate up and invading, that would have worked.

I still have no idea why Slott felt that SpOck should have been the protagonist, though.

But then, between him still putting SpOck as the main character and bringing in Peter Parked-Car even when he was told not to, apparently he doesn't care what other think anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Peter Parked Car is amazing

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
Are any of Spider-Gwen's appearances since she was introduced worth reading? I'll skip over her appearance in Slott's book, I think she's in another though. I have this astounding fear they're going to do the exact same thing they did to Anya when she became Spider-Girl and editorial will change everything unique about her immediately and the writers will have to dance around it.

Did you know Anya is an orphan? She has no family, and she's still in high school. It's never brought up but at the same time there's no goddamn reason for it because I can't even remember who killed her father.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

The Question IRL posted:

It's Secret Wars 4. Secret Wars 3 was a storyline in the Fantastic Four where the Beyonder and Molecule Man do the Fusion dance and become a Cosmic Cube.

Nope. Secret Wars 5. Don't forget the Bendis one. All the other characters did.

HA HAW!

Shakenbaker
Nov 14, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Gatts posted:

Nope. Secret Wars 5. Don't forget the Bendis one. All the other characters did.

HA HAW!

I thought that was just Secret War, singular?

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Nick Fury's Secret War

The Question IRL posted:

It's Secret Wars 4. Secret Wars 3 was a storyline in the Fantastic Four where the Beyonder and Molecule Man do the Fusion dance and become a Cosmic Cube.

Wait is this real?

That would explain a lot about what MM and Doom are up to.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
By the way, when does Spider-Verse occur relative to the USM timeline because didn't Peter turn out to be alive there?

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Nevvy Z posted:

That would explain a lot about what MM and Doom are up to.

It's real, and even though it has been politely ignored by pretty much everyone (like so much of Steve Englehart's 1980s output) there's a non-zero chance Hickman will bring it up, since he apparently read every issue of FF in preparation for his run on it, and pulled some deep cuts like the Dark Rider out of that. Though never as quite as big a plot point as this.

To clarify what actually happened, Doom dragged everyone into one more plot to try to steal the Beyonder's POWER COSMIC for himself, but then KUBIK turned up, who was a lanky alien who hatched out of a Cosmic Cube. It turns out that Cosmic Cubes are just baby Cosmic Being Eggs(?), and they eventually hatch into superpeople(???) but somewhere down the line a cube got damaged and it split in half to form Molecule Man and Beyonder(???). So Kubik suggests the two of them give up their individual flawed personalities and combine back into a Cube(????). They agree(??????) And that Cube then immediately matures and hatches into a cosmic lady(??????) names Kosmos, and Kosmos floats off into space.

Literally the only other appearances Kosmos makes are in a series of three short FF Annual back-ups and an inventory story published over the course of five years. Turns out all of them were written by Len Kaminski, I could've sworn it was Englehart.

Then I guess this happened in the early Giffen era of current Cosmic Marvel?

quote:

The Cube removed its components from Reece, expelled him back to Earth, and evolved into Kosmos, taking a female form in hopes of avoiding the violent tendencies of its past incarnation. Kubik tutored Kosmos in the nature of humanity and the universe, exploring the Celestials and other cosmic entities, as well as performing experiments on the Fantastic Four. After Reece, who had managed to restore his powers, lost his lover, he went mad and assaulted Kosmos, drawing out the essence of the Beyonder and attacking it. Reece nearly destroyed the Beyonder, but Kubik, who was actually falling in love with Kosmos, convinced Reece to restore the Beyonder’s essence to Kosmos to save her life.
Kubik and Kosmos parted ways under unrevealed circumstances, and the Beyonder’s personality sought dominance over Kosmos. She somehow became mortal but her diminished capacities and heightened sensations drove her mad. After slaughtering 64,000 Shi’ar colonists, she was incapacitated by the Imperial Guard telepath Oracle and placed in stasis in the Kyln space prison. Now known as the Maker, she regained consciousness but has only fragments of memory. She caused great chaos in the Kyln until subdued by Thanos and his new ally Skreet. Realizing that slaying Kosmos would unleash the Beyonder on the universe, Thanos shut down her mind but arranged to have her body kept alive forever via neurology-exempt nanocellular regeneration, serving as a living prison to the mad omnipotent within her.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Pureauthor posted:

By the way, when does Spider-Verse occur relative to the USM timeline because didn't Peter turn out to be alive there?

"Oh, hey, Peter, before we go into the final battle, just wanted to say: turns out you weren't dead in my universe"
"Wait, what?"
"Yeah, you just, like, got back alive."
"Ah, so I pulled a little coming back from the dead, nice. So where's the me from your universe? Is it that me over there?"
"Oh no, nah he just ran off with MJ after the whole thing, dude deserves a happy ending."
"...If we're all here, and Peter's in your universe, and the universe-hopping-spider-vampires are eating defenseless spiders and everyone that could defend him is in this room and he's not in this room then..."
"...Drat."

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Flameingblack posted:

Did you know Anya is an orphan? She has no family, and she's still in high school. It's never brought up but at the same time there's no goddamn reason for it because I can't even remember who killed her father.

It was some bullshit where he was a target for assassination along with Red Hulk and when they both got poisoned, Ross hulked out to survive and accidentally smashed a chunk of roof on the guy. You know, some bullshit.

Also thinking about the Spider-Girl series reminded me that that scene with her decoding the scrolls in ASM is flawed. Her powers used to be tied to mystical totem poo poo. But now her powers are now a leftover part from Spider-Island that somehow didn't get erased at the end of the event and also somehow didn't turn her into a spider-monster like everyone who developed powers in that event. So she's powered by good ol' science like everyone else. I'd figure continuity cop Dan Slott wouldn't let that slide so easy.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

"Oh, hey, Peter, before we go into the final battle, just wanted to say: turns out you weren't dead in my universe"
"Wait, what?"
"Yeah, you just, like, got back alive."
"Ah, so I pulled a little coming back from the dead, nice. So where's the me from your universe? Is it that me over there?"
"Oh no, nah he just ran off with MJ after the whole thing, dude deserves a happy ending."
"...If we're all here, and Peter's in your universe, and the universe-hopping-spider-vampires are eating defenseless spiders and everyone that could defend him is in this room and he's not in this room then..."
"...Drat."

You know, technically both Ultimate Peter and Miles are probably safe, seeing as one of the side effects of Oz seems to be literal immortality.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

TwoPair posted:

It was some bullshit where he was a target for assassination along with Red Hulk and when they both got poisoned, Ross hulked out to survive and accidentally smashed a chunk of roof on the guy. You know, some bullshit.

Also thinking about the Spider-Girl series reminded me that that scene with her decoding the scrolls in ASM is flawed. Her powers used to be tied to mystical totem poo poo. But now her powers are now a leftover part from Spider-Island that somehow didn't get erased at the end of the event and also somehow didn't turn her into a spider-monster like everyone who developed powers in that event. So she's powered by good ol' science like everyone else. I'd figure continuity cop Dan Slott wouldn't let that slide so easy.
Dan Slott only fixes the continuity for things he cares about. Just look at Alpha, he got bored and the character hasn't showed up hardly at all since.

Myrddin Emrys
Jul 3, 2003

Ho ho ho, Pac-man!

Flameingblack posted:

Dan Slott only fixes the continuity for things he cares about. Just look at Alpha, he got bored and the character hasn't showed up hardly at all since.

To be fair, everyone hated Alpha *like we were supposed to according to Slott*. So I guess us hating him and him not returning are all part of Slott's nefarious schemes.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

Myrddin Emrys posted:

To be fair, everyone hated Alpha *like we were supposed to according to Slott*. So I guess us hating him and him not returning are all part of Slott's nefarious schemes.
But he's one of the strongest heroes EVER!!!!!

Slott really is just a giant child playing with his action figures.

Castomira
Feb 24, 2011

Fuck you Eva Marie, if you have to be right there next to all of my posts you don't even get to have red hair. You're a dryad now.
:froggonk:
Spider-Man 2099 is definitely worth reading this week. It's just fun, and has no Inheritors whatsoever.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
2099 has been really fun during this whole arc and makes me sad that they're probably just going to return him back to present day 616 to mess around at Alchemax. It's so enjoyable seeing him in 2099 or going through other dimensions, the corporate espionage stuff just pales in comparison.

Poor Steampunk Doc Ock.

Elucidarius
Oct 14, 2006

Tato posted:

2099 has been really fun during this whole arc and makes me sad that they're probably just going to return him back to present day 616 to mess around at Alchemax. It's so enjoyable seeing him in 2099 or going through other dimensions, the corporate espionage stuff just pales in comparison.

Poor Steampunk Doc Ock.

Apparently the next issue has him back in 2099 dealing with stuff. The preview blurbs say it and it is strongly hinted at in the all new xfactor final issue. I just don't want him to die, he's my favorite spider-man.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
The more 2099 the better. I figure he has to eventually at least make a pit stop in present day to give that forgotten supporting character her cancer cure.

Vishass
Feb 1, 2004

notthegoatseguy posted:

Still Vietnam. Remender de-aged him during FrankenCastle...well, after he was cured of it, anyway.

People kept saying that Rucka upgraded him to just "the war" but I don't recall that ever being in an issue. Maybe it was on the recap page or something?

He got his age reset before that when he turned into an angel, and then came back to life between series. There was a brief acknowledgement that plot-line did happen in "Welcome Back Frank"

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Castomira posted:

Spider-Man 2099 is definitely worth reading this week. It's just fun, and has no Inheritors whatsoever.

Agreed. PAD's side of the Spider-verse is simply the most consistently great one. The Six Men of Sinestry (it's not a word!) are the greatest possible rendition of the idea of steampunk sinister six. The only thing I would've preferred is if Leopardon had been more visually modded, include some steampunk and 2099 elements on it.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
of course hating alpha was the point

that was the most obvious thing in the loving world

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
Spider Man 2099 was awesome. Was nice to see Leopardon back.

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

In 1985 Dr. Strange makes a rap album.
Why is there no PAD-written Lady Spider series? Pretty sure it'd be a hell of a lot better than loving Silk.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Suben posted:

Why is there no PAD-written Lady Spider series? Pretty sure it'd be a hell of a lot better than loving Silk.

At least the art for her solo book is way too cartoony to allow Silk to be a constant Parker Brothers sex-machine.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Blockhouse posted:

of course hating alpha was the point

that was the most obvious thing in the loving world

Truly that was an excellent way to celebrate 50 years of the character, by giving him a support cast member deliberately designed to be insufferable! :downs:

Castomira
Feb 24, 2011

Fuck you Eva Marie, if you have to be right there next to all of my posts you don't even get to have red hair. You're a dryad now.
:froggonk:

Suben posted:

If Lady Spider becomes a permanent member of Miguel's supporting cast, I will start reading 2099 religiously. I would be so on board with them flitting back and forth between 1895 and 2099 and loving poo poo up.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

hiddenriverninja posted:

Parker Brothers sex-machine.

Milton Bradley is not gonna be able to compete with that.

radlum
May 13, 2013

Castomira posted:

If Lady Spider becomes a permanent member of Miguel's supporting cast, I will start reading 2099 religiously. I would be so on board with them flitting back and forth between 1895 and 2099 and loving poo poo up.

Yeah, they make a good team and it would be a shame if they just off her. 2099 like the other tie ins has been pretty good, it's just ASM and the Inheritors stuff that brings this down

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

So I finally got caught up with the Incursion thing that Hickman's doing. You know that morbid feeling of absolute dread you get when you see a character you give a poo poo about in a work of fiction get into a scenario that seems outright impossible to get out of and you just think "Welp. This is it."? Yeah, it feels like that all the way through, really.

Anyway, Spider-Verse feels like Dan Slott just kind of randomly overheard Hickman and the EIC talk about the event while roaming Marvel HQ and he decided he'd get in on it too but ONLY with Spider-Man but he kind of fucks it all up because he's bad at writing out his ideas.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Is Spider-verse over this week?

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

hiddenriverninja posted:

Is Spider-verse over this week?

I think there's still an epilogue, but yeah, it'll mostly be over.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Guess who's coming home to Marvel

marvel.com/news/movies/24062/sony_pictures_entertainment_brings_marvel_studios_into_the_amazing_world_of_spider-man

Screencap because the site is getting hammered for whatever reason

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

I wonder if Sony might press ahead with their idea of having the movie having Peter established as a superhero & already married to Mary Jane, throwing out the conventional romance subplot in favour of 'yeah, he married the love of his life before the movie starts, deal with it nerds :colbert:'.

Would they bring back the marriage in the comics for that, I wonder?

Yvonmukluk fucked around with this message at 10:58 on Feb 10, 2015

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free
I just hope this means Spidey can be a Real Actual Avenger in the comics again.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

JohnnyCanuck posted:

Superior Spider-Man was the Best Avenger.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Superior Spider-Man was the Best Avenger.

"Yes, well I spit in that."

Facepalm Ranger
Jan 17, 2012

SOME PEOPLE FIND HOME APPLIANCES SEXUALLY AROUSING! ZORDS ARE NOT APPLIANCES, DAMMIT!

JohnnyCanuck posted:

Never got all the love for Spidey being an avenger...:(

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Facepalm Ranger posted:

Because its been a childhood dream of his and he has a pretty good working relationship, and in some cases axrual friendship, with much of the team that became Bend is New Avengers

Edit: I actually do wonder if Spidey will be seen in Hickman's Avengers again

notthegoatseguy fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Feb 10, 2015

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

Also it stems from some people's desire for Avengers to be more like the Justice League where the team is the biggest names in the universe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Facepalm Ranger posted:

It represents a positive shift for him in terms of what his status quo is. Spidey as a solo hero is always an underdog, hated by the media, scrounging for money, struggling with life and relationships and his finances and school and responsibilities and crime fighting and etc etc etc.

When he joined the Avengers a lot of that changed. Aunt May and MJ lived with him in Avengers Tower, he had enough money to not be constantly worried about it, he was able to finally balance his personal life and his superhero life. He went from "Threat or Menace?" to a member of the most respected, popular team of superheroes on the planet. When Captain America is telling the american public you're a cool dude you stop having most of your PR problems

But the only thing comic book characters are allowed to do is suffer endlessly so it didn't last

• Locked thread