Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

Clarste posted:

Just played Ar Nosurge because my gamefly list has reached "games I don't actually want to play why did I add this", and it was surprisingly not bad. I mean, the character designs are terrible, and there's something inherently creepy about taking a bath with an anime girl and telling her I love her, but then they called me out with "What the hell do you know about me?! You're just choosing options off a menu and resetting when you get it wrong!" And the game's battle system seemed to know it would get boring so you just clear the entire area's battles in one swoop. Also the game's kinda unremarkable plot was made more memorable by the use of songs being associated with major events or boss battles, although in retrospect I wonder if I just played through a long music video?

Anyway, I guess the point is that I just enjoyed watching Cass and Delta flirt with each other badly, and helping shopkeepers make jellybeans that give you cancer (because they needed to match the color scheme).

What difficulty are you playing on? I haven't played the game, but I heard the only mode that's challenging is Veteran.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Mill Village posted:

What difficulty are you playing on? I haven't played the game, but I heard the only mode that's challenging is Veteran.

I played on Normal, and the battles were entirely trivial. Basically the enemies never got an action and I healed to full every turn (not that I was hurt). I considered raising it, but the battle system didn't seem good enough for me to want to spend more effort on them so I didn't.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
Well I'm done with Valkryia Chronicles. I'm currently at Chapter 10 or so but I can't really play anymore. I guess SRPGs aren't for me.

I tried to get into Dark Souls again but I REALLY don't like this game. I don't understand the appeal.

Guess I will replay Ys Origin.

punk rebel ecks fucked around with this message at 07:26 on Jan 31, 2015

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
I pretty much felt the same with Valkyria, loved the style and setting but it never clicked for me.

Dark Souls though, isn't really all that tough. I won't effortpost Tell You About Dark Souls but it follows the same principles as old arcade games, so some memorization, some reflexes, some planning and some luck. If that's not for you it's understandable.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

The Taint Reaper posted:

So I just completed a quest in Lightning Returns where you find a grandfather who faked his own death so his son would man up, and that son also faked his own death so his daughter would man up.

Square can't even write a sane and feasible sidequest now. Like why would you fake your own death instead of just talking to the person? And not only that, but doing it twice?

That one was especially bizarre because I genuinely didn't know if it was supposed to be funny. Eventually I decided that it was still funny to me, and that's really what matters.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Million Ghosts posted:

Dark Souls though, isn't really all that tough. I won't effortpost Tell You About Dark Souls but it follows the same principles as old arcade games, so some memorization, some reflexes, some planning and some luck. If that's not for you it's understandable.

Rush past the beginning and go into the valley of the drakes while avoiding all enemies. Get to the Black Night near the forested area near the valley of the drakes.

Make the knight fall to his death, collect his spear and get the nearby shield.

You can now beat the living poo poo out of anything in the game.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

if you liked the use of music, play the other ar tonelico games

:getin:

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

The Taint Reaper posted:

Rush past the beginning and go into the valley of the drakes while avoiding all enemies. Get to the Black Night near the forested area near the valley of the drakes.

Make the knight fall to his death, collect his spear and get the nearby shield.

You can now beat the living poo poo out of anything in the game.

This is basically the equivalent of running for the power armour ASAP in Fallout 2, huh?

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

If only the Ar games weren't so lovely, they'd be so good.

I still beat Tonelico 1 and 2.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I would legitimately go up to bat for 2 as a Good Game.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Million Ghosts posted:

I pretty much felt the same with Valkyria, loved the style and setting but it never clicked for me.

The problem with Dark Souls isn't its difficulty, but just how it's designed. I get what it's trying to do but I feel that it isn't done I as well as most people say.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.

Endorph posted:

I would legitimately go up to bat for 2 as a Good Game.

Yes, definitely. I'd go so far and say that only 3 is actually a bad game, 1 and Nosurge are mediocre at worst.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

punk rebel ecks posted:

The problem with Dark Souls isn't its difficulty, but just how it's designed. I get what it's trying to do but I feel that it isn't done I as well as most people say.

I just finished it about a half-hour ago. I feel similar, but I also admit that for a lot of the game I was griping because it felt like a step backwards from Demon's Souls. I've had friends tell me that a) makes me an rear end in a top hat and wrong, and b) I'd probably prefer DaSII instead for that kinda thing.

But that's for down the line, hell with that. I have TIME TRAVEL to effect.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

corn in the bible posted:

That one was especially bizarre because I genuinely didn't know if it was supposed to be funny. Eventually I decided that it was still funny to me, and that's really what matters.

this mirrors my feelings on all of lightning returns

oblomov
Jun 20, 2002

Meh... #overrated

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

Yes, definitely. I'd go so far and say that only 3 is actually a bad game, 1 and Nosurge are mediocre at worst.

I would say 1 is decent, 2 is very good but is let down by sketchy translation, 3 is mediocre but it has pretty good soundtrack. Haven't played the last one.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

DARKSEID DICK PICS posted:

I just finished it about a half-hour ago. I feel similar, but I also admit that for a lot of the game I was griping because it felt like a step backwards from Demon's Souls. I've had friends tell me that a) makes me an rear end in a top hat and wrong, and b) I'd probably prefer DaSII instead for that kinda thing.

But that's for down the line, hell with that. I have TIME TRAVEL to effect.

It's just not that fun to retry the same area over and over again fighting the same enemies just so I can get another lick at the boss. It's fine in a shoot-em-up because its still fun and entertaining to kill enemies, not so much in Dark Souls. "But you can just run past the enemies to the boss!", that's not the point.

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

It must be fate that has brought us together after all these years.

punk rebel ecks posted:

It's just not that fun to retry the same area over and over again fighting the same enemies just so I can get another lick at the boss. It's fine in a shoot-em-up because its still fun and entertaining to kill enemies, not so much in Dark Souls. "But you can just run past the enemies to the boss!", that's not the point.

This is basically my problem with the game. I gave up after spending an hour working at the Capra Demon and only getting actually spending maybe 5 minutes in the fight itself because of all the time wasted having to deal with those drat dogs on the way to the fight. Better bonfire placement would've made that game so much better IMO.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Head Hit Keyboard posted:

Better bonfire placement would've made that game so much better IMO.

Or just more variety of shortcuts... which weren't "hit every wall". God, that was the worst introduction to that game. It worked in King's Field because the map would usually let you in on where you were missing something, but in a game without one, it's a dick move to just have entirely hidden areas with no clue at all.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

corn in the bible posted:

These are my exact thoughts on Kai Leng in ME3.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

This is basically my problem with the game. I gave up after spending an hour working at the Capra Demon and only getting actually spending maybe 5 minutes in the fight itself because of all the time wasted having to deal with those drat dogs on the way to the fight. Better bonfire placement would've made that game so much better IMO.
You can unlock a door that takes you back to Firelink via the aqueduct so while you need to run a bit further and fight the trivial hollows back from the very beginning, as far as the lower burg goes you only need to fight two thieves that can be pulled separately, and two dogs that can be cheesed on some stairs.

Codiekitty
Nov 7, 2014

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

I haven't played it, but 3 gets my vote for worst game title ever.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Codiekitty posted:

I haven't played it, but 3 gets my vote for worst game title ever.

Literally, as in Qoga?

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
It's down there, certainly. I suppose it's better than the Japanese one though, in that it doesn't set the game up for disappointment.

("Ar tonelico III: The Girl's Song that Pulls the Trigger of World's Demise")

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

That title literally describes every game in the series.

Codiekitty
Nov 7, 2014

mycot posted:

Literally, as in Qoga?

Literally, as in "Ar tonelico Qoga Knell of Ar Ciel is a seven-car pileup of gibberish"

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

That's exactly where I just said "gently caress it" with the game. Again it isn't so much as the game is hard, its just that its tedious fighting the same enemies over and over just to get a chance to fight a boss to start memorizing their patterns.

Paracelsus posted:

as far as the lower burg goes you only need to fight two thieves that can be pulled separately, and two dogs that can be cheesed on some stairs.

This is my problem with the game. Why even start in that area in the first place? Why not just start right by the boss if I don't have to fight all of the enemies?

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.
How good is Star Ocean 2? Is that worth playing?

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

Super Ninja Fish posted:

If you can still play games of that era happily I think it's great and would even say it's a classic. There's nothing spectacular about the plot but it looks nice, battles are great, has a lot of customisation choices/options and is generally very fun to play.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Codiekitty posted:

Literally, as in "Ar tonelico Qoga Knell of Ar Ciel is a seven-car pileup of gibberish"
Ar Tonelico: Name of the series

Knell: an actual word

Ar Ciel: the established name of the setting

so really the only gibberish is 'qoga'

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
For some reason I thought it was just a really bad anagram of rainbow in French (Arc-en-ciel).

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Super Ninja Fish posted:

Like many of tri-ace's games it's a dumb anime plot wrapped around character customization that demands you to break it and some non-linearity in how the events play out. It's very gameplay heavy and you'll miss a lot of poo poo. Some of it is kind of souring (I would have been pissed if I missed out on Ashton) but it's a decent game.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Paperhouse posted:

If you can still play games of that era happily I think it's great and would even say it's a classic. There's nothing spectacular about the plot but it looks nice, battles are great, has a lot of customisation choices/options and is generally very fun to play.

The story is horrendous, but it's one of the best PS1 RPGs from a gameplay perspective. The crafting system is extremely shallow (choose craft type -> choose item to use -> random recipe result), but it's really enjoyable because you see your crafting items mold their polygons into new items. It's weirdly charming. The battle system is utterly destructible. Make yourself invincible (like fully invincible, ignore stuns and knockback and all that poo poo) with the armor that constantly drains your life, and then counteract it with the weapon that gives your attacks lifesteal. Put the invincibility armor on a healer and outpace its drain with your healing magic! Seriously, play SO2. Just play it on an emulator and fast forward whenever anyone decides to open their idiot mouths.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
Alternatively, play Opoona.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

The White Dragon posted:

The battle system is utterly destructible. Make yourself invincible (like fully invincible, ignore stuns and knockback and all that poo poo) with the armor that constantly drains your life, and then counteract it with the weapon that gives your attacks lifesteal. Put the invincibility armor on a healer and outpace its drain with your healing magic!

Isn't that a bad thing? What's the motivation to keep playing if you can win every battle just by attacking over and over?

al-azad posted:

Like many of tri-ace's games it's a dumb anime plot wrapped around character customization that demands you to break it and some non-linearity in how the events play out. It's very gameplay heavy and you'll miss a lot of poo poo. Some of it is kind of souring (I would have been pissed if I missed out on Ashton) but it's a decent game.

Gameplay heavy. So maybe not for me since I'm someone who prefers Xenogears and Lunar to Final Fantasy 5 and Vagrant Story.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Super Ninja Fish posted:

Isn't that a bad thing? What's the motivation to keep playing if you can win every battle just by attacking over and over?

Gameplay heavy. So maybe not for me since I'm someone who prefers Xenogears and Lunar to Final Fantasy 5 and Vagrant Story.

The fun is in exploiting the resources the game gives you. Discovering those breaking combos on your own and what not. That's what tri-Ace games excel at, particularly Resonance of Fate which is probably their best and also least accessible game.

Yakiniku Teishoku
Mar 16, 2011

Peace On Egg

Super Ninja Fish posted:

If you like Lunar, I don't see any reason why you shouldn't like SO2. It has tons of gameplay systems, obscure sidequests, and tons of fun ways to break the game open, but you don't necessarily need to do any of that to enjoy it. You can play as either Claude or Rena, rename all your party members, steal from practically everyone, ride a giant bunny around the world map, team up with aliens, get romantic & BFF endings for all of your team - what's not to love?

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Super Ninja Fish posted:

It's a surprisingly good thing. Like al-azad says, part of the fun is figuring out all the dumb poo poo you can do to break the game. Plus, there are superbosses where you actually have to do that because they're mathematically more or less unbeatable otherwise--it's less bad game balance and more demonstrating that you fully understand how to exploit the system.

Yakiniku Teishoku posted:

ride a giant bunny around the world map

gently caress you I thought I'd forgotten COME HERE BARNEY

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
It also has one of my favorite game systems, where attacks get bigger, better and more elaborate with enough usage. I just love when that shows up in tales games, too.

Yakiniku Teishoku
Mar 16, 2011

Peace On Egg

The White Dragon posted:

gently caress you I thought I'd forgotten COME HERE BARNEY

pear into peaches

Admittedly, I am biased in my opinion of SO2 since it was my favorite game of all time for like 15 years before being dethroned by Rune Factory 4. There is something seriously magic about it, though. Everything from the goofy characters, to the nonsensical battle voiceovers, the emotional music cues... it hits that sweet spot between totally campy and overly serious in the same way that Lunar, Grandia I, Skies of Arcadia etc. do, in my opinion

Yakiniku Teishoku fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Feb 1, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

Yakiniku Teishoku posted:

pear into peaches

Admittedly, I am biased in my opinion of SO2 since it was my favorite game of all time for like 15 years before being dethroned by Rune Factory 4. There is something seriously magic about it, though. Everything from the goofy characters, to the nonsensical battle voiceovers, the emotional music cues... it hits that sweet spot between totally campy and overly serious in the same way that Lunar, Grandia I, Skies of Arcadia etc. do, in my opinion

Well, since you're comparing it to Grandia 1, I have to try it out. I mentioned in a few pages ago how I thought Grandia 1 was better than Grandia 2 for it's tone, 2 became more serious and lost the magic and charm.