Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

GreyPowerVan posted:

sardinia piedmont is probably the best color in eu4, maybe rivaled by theodoro.

I vaguely remember cherokee having a decent color. s-p's is real real good tho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Rap Gaming

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Average Bear posted:

They fixed them. They worked in my recent byz game anyway. Restore the Pentarchy still pops up after taking like serbia though.

Pretty sure Italy is olive green you insane friend of the family.

really i thought that it was grey

i dunno why i thought that since ive never formed it or seen it formed though

DICKHEAD
Jul 29, 2003

GreyPowerVan posted:

Why can't i form italy and keep my Ambrosian Republic government type? i'm sad.

You can. Go republican dictatorship with a relatively young guy, form Italy, then hope you get enough events to let you get above 50 tradition and you'll revert back to Ambrosian Republic

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

Forming Italy is crap, they should remove government and NI change when enacting the decision.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Knuc U Kinte posted:

I had a high tolerance for the games thread but now some noob called Volkerball posts in it 1000 times a day and he's the worst kind of noob, a noob who tells other noob how to play.

i remember a bit after eu4 came out or so some guy joined the thread saying he never played a paradox game before and less than a month later he was telling everyone optimal ways to build armies

he wasnt overstepping, he just actually thought about how to play and no one in there who actually played that poo poo for years actually did, i bet theyve run him off or he got bored with it

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It's so insanely stupid that some formables have no ideas and other ones do. They should all have ideas and then it asks you when you form it if you want to retain your government and ideas. Hell do this for your tag color too. Republics get a lot of love but the number of things that require a monarchy is extremely frustrating, probably more than it is in CK2 because there's so many ways monarchies and republics are identical in EU4.

honestly i just wish you were able to pick your own tag color and stuff. i know there's a nation creator on the way but it's so hilarious to me that you have to either mod the game or strongly consider tag color when picking a fun nation

Larry Parrish fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Feb 2, 2015

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

DICKHEAD posted:

You can. Go republican dictatorship with a relatively young guy, form Italy, then hope you get enough events to let you get above 50 tradition and you'll revert back to Ambrosian Republic

Doesn't it change your government type to a despotic monarchy anyways?

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

GreyPowerVan posted:

It's possible to salvage but it's basically RNG. Also occasionally you have events to overthrow your monarchy and implement a bureaucratic despotism. I don't know how rare those are but I've never seen them outside of Republic -> Monarchy games.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Larry Parrish posted:

It's possible to salvage but it's basically RNG. Also occasionally you have events to overthrow your monarchy and implement a bureaucratic despotism. I don't know how rare those are but I've never seen them outside of Republic -> Monarchy games.

I'll try it because I want to have the republic of italy, but i'm doubtful.

one thing that bothers me is that wiz has his 'idea of how the game should be' which is ironman and nothing else counts. Keeping my republic when forming prussia or italy shouldn't disqualify me from loving ironman, wiz.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

paradox has never really figured out if they make strategy games or sims

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
Get that purple UI mod

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I have all of the recolors installed and I can't figure out which one I like. I sorta favor the green one though.

Also I've been reading some human being nerd books and I can't be the only person who thinks a space version of EU4 could be cool. Then again the colonization part of EU4 is probably the worst loving thing.

IDK i think space colonization mapgame could be fun if it was just a single map of not-Earth.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Larry Parrish posted:

I have all of the recolors installed and I can't figure out which one I like. I sorta favor the green one though.

Also I've been reading some human being nerd books and I can't be the only person who thinks a space version of EU4 could be cool. Then again the colonization part of EU4 is probably the worst loving thing.

IDK i think space colonization mapgame could be fun if it was just a single map of not-Earth.

civ BE would have been much better as an eu4 style game.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Larry Parrish posted:

Yeah.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

historical settings rule but grand strategy in space would also rule

trying a game as ethiopia, its my first real time out of europe. any hot picks for ideas? when/how should i westernize

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

StashAugustine posted:

historical settings rule but grand strategy in space would also rule

trying a game as ethiopia, its my first real time out of europe. any hot picks for ideas? when/how should i westernize

defensive for when the mamluk/ottos get randy against you, religious/humanist to deal with muslim provinces. unless you go hog wild it's likely westernization will happen when africa starts to get colonized so take that in mind

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

lmao i just read the nahuatl dev diary so you now have to be on war 24/7 as aztecs so you don't get hosed in the rear end by their religion mechanics

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
in my ethiopia games i usually burn for exploration and carve a path through africa to reach the west coast. by the time you make it there, you will likely arrive at the same time as the euros, or just after. either way, it'll be cored territory and it won't have taken you too long. just don't forget that you can't just have most of your territory be lovely high autonomy stuff. that's a great way to get pwned by lack of manpower and income during all the revolts.

dont be a games goon and whine about westernizing being too hard because you forget to make sure you had a large base of primary cultural provinces with no nationalism lol

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Larry Parrish posted:

dont be a games goon and whine about westernizing being too hard because you forget to make sure you had a large base of primary cultural provinces with no nationalism lol

i made vassals of the cultures that weren't accepted when westernizing so they could help with rebel killing then just gobbled them back again when finished

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

i tend to be way too conservative in eu so it sounds like i shouldnt have that much of an issue

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

StashAugustine posted:

i tend to be way too conservative in eu so it sounds like i shouldnt have that much of an issue

westernizing is so much easier than people say it is. i westernized inca while i had four or five unaccepted cultures kicking around, but because i had that large ~20 province core in the andes i never ran out of manpower. just like overextension and coalitions it's only a minor annoyance if you truly understand the system.

KoldPT
Oct 9, 2012

Knuc U Kinte posted:

I did too and it was the worst because I formed it as Sardinia piedmont who have a baby blue colour I really liked.

does forming s-p give you anything other than a bitchin map color

e: i've never played in italy in euiv yet... huh

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

KoldPT posted:

does forming s-p give you anything other than a bitchin map color

e: i've never played in italy in euiv yet... huh

SPI has the same ideas as Savoy.

Man Whore
Jan 6, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT SPHERICAL CATS
=3

Average Bear posted:

Get that purple UI mod

The red UI is actually the best UI. It looks more regal.

DICKHEAD
Jul 29, 2003

GreyPowerVan posted:

If you mean the decision then no it doesn't because Republican Tradition is some special case or something. If you mean doesn't the dictatorship revert to monarchy... only if your republican tradition is under 50 when the dictator dies. Some of the RD events give a LOT of tradition. You have to rely on RNG to get them obviously but if your dictator is young enough you can pull it off

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

dh patch trip report: western siberia is not a really good area for mobile warfare

also zoq-fot-pik the moderator is a human being friend of the family

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

hey knuc how'd the amalfi -> byz thing go? just finished a zunist game and that seems like an interesting gimmick run to do

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

BBJoey posted:

hey knuc how'd the amalfi -> byz thing go? just finished a zunist game and that seems like an interesting gimmick run to do

I haven't finished it yet. I'm using seduction to breed claim bastards though and it was going alright.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010

DICKHEAD posted:

If you mean the decision then no it doesn't because Republican Tradition is some special case or something. If you mean doesn't the dictatorship revert to monarchy... only if your republican tradition is under 50 when the dictator dies. Some of the RD events give a LOT of tradition. You have to rely on RNG to get them obviously but if your dictator is young enough you can pull it off

I'm nearly positive forming Italy changes your gov to a monarchy.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Average Bear posted:

Don't they change it? I trust dickhead.

Man Whore
Jan 6, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT SPHERICAL CATS
=3

the wiki that never gets updated says you get changed to despotic monarchy if you are a republic.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Man Whore posted:

the wiki that never gets updated says you get changed to despotic monarchy if you are a republic.

speaking of which, the wikis for the older mapgames are now dead.

DICKHEAD
Jul 29, 2003

Average Bear posted:

It says it does but trust me if you have Res Publica or whatever one adds the special Republican Dictatorship stuff then it won't. I did this like 4 weeks ago. Unless I got a weird hosed up bug

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Those decisions only change you to a Despotic if you aren't already a monarchy.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

GreyPowerVan posted:

Keeping my republic when forming prussia or italy shouldn't disqualify me from loving ironman, wiz.

things that shouldn't disable ironman: changing map colors, that setting for whether nation colors fill in surrounded wastelands, etc

things that should disable ironman: actual mechanical changes, e.g. the effects of decisions

I mean, the thing where it forces you into a monarchy is goofy (assuming that it exists, since no one seems sure for some reason), but I can't really imagine any form of ironman that would allow you to mod that & still be meaningful at all

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

gently caress trophy 2k15 posted:

dh patch trip report: western siberia is not a really good area for mobile warfare

also zoq-fot-pik the moderator is a human being friend of the family

Goodbye, gay night crew dude.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm glad he got dumpstered like the bitch he is.

Disappointing egg
Jun 21, 2007

FreudianSlippers posted:

The Mongols did some horrible stuff but at least they were really open to religious and cultural diversity.

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
There's a post on the next page about how some dude had trouble getting enough prestige to declare kingdoms and empires so he lowered it, does literally everyone in games cheat or something?