Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Nutsngum posted:

The kind who drives?

Seriously radio is not a media form that will ever die out as long as we have ears and a requirement to use our eyes on something else.

I imagine this is going to go down as cars with smartphone/ipod/etc hook-ups get more common (and become the kind of car that gets handed down)

But even then I guess you have satellite/web radio?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy

Nutsngum posted:

The kind who drives?

Seriously radio is not a media form that will ever die out as long as we have ears and a requirement to use our eyes on something else.

But we have iPhones and Spotify now

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

CDs, and tape decks have been around for ages as well, and it hasn't diminished radio all that much. People still like to listen to the radio because sometimes it's nice to have someone do the music playing for you.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
edit: nevermind.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Meltathon posted:

CDs, and tape decks have been around for ages as well, and it hasn't diminished radio all that much. People still like to listen to the radio because sometimes it's nice to have someone do the music playing for you.

Pretty much. I'm way too lazy/indecisive to plan out my music, just throw on whatever and I'll hop around stations at commercials.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Here's an actual millennial thing: being less likely to stand commercials.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

The Devil Tesla posted:

Here's an actual millennial thing: being less likely to stand commercials.

I thought this was just "Being Human"? :confused:

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

The Devil Tesla posted:

Here's an actual millennial thing: desperately want to believe they are special

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now
I'm fairly confident that's also just being human.

DONT TOUCH THE PC
Jul 15, 2001

You should try it, it's a real buzz.

Tiggum posted:

I don't think that's true. The main difference is in what people want their computer to do. Most people, regardless of age group, can figure out how to use modern computers to do what they want them to do, because modern computers are generally pretty easy to use. But very few people of any age bother to understand why this is the way to make the computer to do that or how that relates to doing similar tasks or what to do if it's not working the way you expect it to. And most people once they have a way to do something will continue to do it that way, even if the software changes and makes that method obsolete or introduces a more efficient way to do things, because if you're not thinking about why you do it that way then it's essentially just a meaningless set of steps that results in the thing you want to happen happening. To do it another way would mean memorising a new set of arbitrary steps.

This is pretty much it, the one thing that you can add to the discussion that makes it hard to get out of this mindset (and ties into marketing) is that a lot of people associate PC's with work and all the negative feelings that entails.

Apple has always made it clear they are providing you with the "fun" computer, the you can use to express yourself creatively. iPads are devices that allow you to do the computer thingies you *do* love without the hassle of owning a computer and smartphones are well... smartphones (although some brands are pushing the mobile office angle).

Captain Monkey posted:

Pretty much. I'm way too lazy/indecisive to plan out my music, just throw on whatever and I'll hop around stations at commercials.

The only bone you get thrown by spotify in this regard is the sharing of playlists, but their search is horrible in that regard. Speaking about Spotify and marketing: they keep so much listening data and yet they still promote music to me that isn't even in the realm of my tastes, that's gotta be a failure.

DONT TOUCH THE PC has a new favorite as of 18:28 on Feb 4, 2015

Jisae
Oct 1, 2004

What a bargain!

Dr Scoofles posted:

The new Aygo campaign is a bit, uh...

ok ok, I'll go 'fun' myself. I'm sure every person who hears the advert or sees the billboard automatically thinks 'go gently caress myself?'

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

IndustrialApe posted:

they keep so much listening data and yet they still promote music to me that isn't even in the realm of my tastes, that's gotta be a failure.

I think they're probably more interested in selling that data to marketing teams, record companies etc than recommending you music.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Mr. Flunchy posted:

I think they're probably more interested in selling that data to marketing teams, record companies etc than recommending you music.

Yeah, if you're using a digital service and not paying money for it, you're not getting a product for free, you are the product (being sold to advertisers)

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Gabriel Pope posted:

This is really the core of the issue--it's not a generational shift so much as it is an economic one. After two consecutive generations of rising prosperity, millenials have less spending power on average than our parents. We aren't moving out to the suburbs en masse the way Boomers and Xers did, not so much because we're special snowflakes who are breaking the mold and changing the world but because in a lot of cases we can't afford to. And since it's not longer the thing that everybody is doing, even people that can afford it are thinking twice about it, which creates all kinds of differences in how we spend our money. How long and how much we continue to buck the trend depends a lot on how long it takes our generation to scrabble its way back to affluence.

This is huge and corporations are just now learning the hard way what it means to economically stunt an entire generation. Lower wages/less reliable employment means smaller living spaces, living with roommates until later in life, delaying marriage and child-having, fewer hobbies, fewer vacations. Think how many life events trigger a purchasing spree that just isn't happening anymore. No point in buying a washer/dryer set if you can't afford to live somewhere with hookups. You'll never buy a fridge if you only live in apartments that come with them. No cars if you can't afford to move out of that major urban center with its public transit and lack of parking. Pretty much the only things it makes sense for millennials to buy are food, clothing, and personal electronics, which coincidentally are the only sectors doing reliably well with that age group.

What's going to be really interesting is how this effect amplifies through the following generations. Buying a car or a house isn't going to feel like an unmissable hallmark of adulthood if your parents never owned one until they were finally able to afford to move out to the suburbs in their forties.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

This is huge and corporations are just now learning the hard way what it means to economically stunt an entire generation. Lower wages/less reliable employment means smaller living spaces, living with roommates until later in life, delaying marriage and child-having, fewer hobbies, fewer vacations. Think how many life events trigger a purchasing spree that just isn't happening anymore. No point in buying a washer/dryer set if you can't afford to live somewhere with hookups. You'll never buy a fridge if you only live in apartments that come with them. No cars if you can't afford to move out of that major urban center with its public transit and lack of parking. Pretty much the only things it makes sense for millennials to buy are food, clothing, and personal electronics, which coincidentally are the only sectors doing reliably well with that age group.

What's going to be really interesting is how this effect amplifies through the following generations. Buying a car or a house isn't going to feel like an unmissable hallmark of adulthood if your parents never owned one until they were finally able to afford to move out to the suburbs in their forties.

And the worst part is, they are looking at everything you just mentioned from the opposite side of the monetary bell curve. Netting you reports like the "Poors have refrigerators" story we all love to make fun of.

It's systemic at this point.

BTW, I love reading what you guys are saying. I don't want to interfere too much though.

DONT TOUCH THE PC
Jul 15, 2001

You should try it, it's a real buzz.

canyoneer posted:

Yeah, if you're using a digital service and not paying money for it, you're not getting a product for free, you are the product (being sold to advertisers)

I pay for Spotify.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.
I stopped listening to FM radio entirely when I got a car with satellite radio a few years ago, I've never even bothered to program the FM tuner in my car. I only listen to XM and Pandora streaming through my phone and I pay for Pandora One so I don't have any ads ever. It's great. I don't mind trading ads for them harvesting my listening data.

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
The part of the brain that does the whole music thing for everyone just doesn't work for me so I'm terrible and either don't listen to anything or listen to the news when I am driving my tiny terrible cheap car.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

GenericOverusedName posted:

The part of the brain that does the whole music thing for everyone just doesn't work for me so I'm terrible and either don't listen to anything or listen to the news when I am driving my tiny terrible cheap car.

You just ride in silence? Really?

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

So they don't remember the decades after The Great Depression?(Granted there was that post-WW2 boom, but still)

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC

Captain Monkey posted:

You just ride in silence? Really?

Yes sometimes I drive without audio.

I'm weird and there is probably something broken with me. I know. Sorry.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

PhazonLink posted:

So they don't remember the decades after The Great Depression?(Granted there was that post-WW2 boom, but still)

Two big differences, I think:

Multi-generational family structure was more of a thing back in the depression, so young people weren't moving out on their own, which amplifies the effects of poverty. People got married and had kids younger too, partly because it was a more traditional society and partly because the multi-generational households ensured childcare and more stable housing. Young people today are farther away from family and as a result have little to no safety net compared to young people in the thirties.

Secondly yeah, the war. We'll obviously keep bombing other countries but a nationwide economic mobilization 40s style doesn't seem likely to ever happen again. The studies I've read say that the generation that entered the workforce right at the start of the Great Recession will suffer lifetime reductions in their career potential and earning power, barring any big employment shakeup like WWII.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Nah, it's whatever, I just wanted to make sure that's what you did. That would drive me crazy personally, but do what you do.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Nah, you're not broken. I keep my drives quiet, too, though I work in radio and the last thing I want to do after a long day is listen to more goddamn radio.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

No, I do this too, sometimes. The quiet can be nice.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

Nah, you're not broken. I keep my drives quiet, too, though I work in radio and the last thing I want to do after a long day is listen to more goddamn radio.

I've often wondered if the same can be said of gynecologists.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

VendaGoat posted:

I've often wondered if the same can be said of gynecologists.

Actually, most of them do like listening to the radio when driving.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

sassassin posted:

Actually, most of them do like listening to the radio when driving.

Like a seashell, if you put your ear to a vagina, you can smell the ocean

fleshy echidna
Apr 11, 2010
So someone was recently talking about how add companies really need to realize that the first five seconds of a YouTube add are all of the add that anyone is going right? Well thanks to an add from the Superbowl advertising who the gently caress knows, I now have to sit through a woman screaming through her birthing pains anytime I want to watch a YouTube video with add block down. Jeez guys, that is a really great way of making me hammer the poo poo out of the skip button.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

fleshy echidna posted:

So someone was recently talking about how add companies really need to realize that the first five seconds of a YouTube add are all of the add that anyone is going right? Well thanks to an add from the Superbowl advertising who the gently caress knows, I now have to sit through a woman screaming through her birthing pains anytime I want to watch a YouTube video with add block down. Jeez guys, that is a really great way of making me hammer the poo poo out of the skip button.

What if you could see the actual birth? Would you give us grandkids then?

Bast Relief
Feb 21, 2006

by exmarx

VendaGoat posted:

And the worst part is, they are looking at everything you just mentioned from the opposite side of the monetary bell curve. Netting you reports like the "Poors have refrigerators" story we all love to make fun of.

It's systemic at this point.

BTW, I love reading what you guys are saying. I don't want to interfere too much though.

Somehow I missed the "Poors Have Refrigerators" article. Link anyone?

When my sad rear end FINALLY moved out at the ripe age of 30, I couldn't afford a TV, and then I lucked out when my neighbors got a new one and just gave me their old one. I had already been living without TV or internet for almost a year by this time, and being used to the silence, I wasn't all that motivated to get service. I just use it to watch DVDs on occasion. Anyway, every once in awhile I will visit my folks and watch TV. We skip the ads with DVR, but I soon realized that even the shows you watch are basically advertisements as well, beyond just awkward product placement. I feel like a lot of values, social norms and image are really pushed in the shows we watch. I know, no poo poo.

Anyway, I just find myself really disconnected from media these days, and am a lot happier for it, though sometimes it makes small talk hard. It's funny how so many people have nothing to say about themselves and would prefer to just recount what happened in the latest episode of whatever. I'm just curious if there are more people like me who are just so bored and annoyed with advertising and programming that they too just unplug. I'm no special snowflake, so I wouldn't be surprised if more people were simplifying their life like this.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

jidohanbaiki posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Al5E3KbIfeo

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠

Dr Scoofles posted:

The new Aygo campaign is a bit, uh...

ok ok, I'll go 'fun' myself. I'm sure every person who hears the advert or sees the billboard automatically thinks 'go gently caress myself?'

This Mother fucker is going to be one cool Transformer in the 5th movie, look at that iGrill

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Like Michael Bay would ever feature a Japanese car.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

I doubt, though, if we took a hundred people in their sixties, and a hundred people in their twenties, sat them in front of a computer, and told them to go to a given website, you'd bet on the group in their sixties getting there first.

Of course not, but the reason for that is that members of the younger group are far more likely to have used the web a lot before. The difference isn't that older people have more trouble figuring computers out, it's that they're less likely to want to do the same things with them that young people do.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Evilreaver posted:

Like a seashell, if you put your ear to a vagina, you can smell the ocean

For some reason women really don't like it when you do this, though.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

davidspackage posted:

For some reason women really don't like it when you do this, though.

The Pacific's deeper and the Atlantic's more traveled. Indian's self-explanatory.

Snyderman
Feb 23, 2005

jidohanbaiki posted:

When my sad rear end FINALLY moved out at the ripe age of 30, I couldn't afford a TV, and then I lucked out when my neighbors got a new one and just gave me their old one. I had already been living without TV or internet for almost a year by this time, and being used to the silence, I wasn't all that motivated to get service. I just use it to watch DVDs on occasion. Anyway, every once in awhile I will visit my folks and watch TV. We skip the ads with DVR, but I soon realized that even the shows you watch are basically advertisements as well, beyond just awkward product placement. I feel like a lot of values, social norms and image are really pushed in the shows we watch. I know, no poo poo.

Anyway, I just find myself really disconnected from media these days, and am a lot happier for it, though sometimes it makes small talk hard. It's funny how so many people have nothing to say about themselves and would prefer to just recount what happened in the latest episode of whatever. I'm just curious if there are more people like me who are just so bored and annoyed with advertising and programming that they too just unplug. I'm no special snowflake, so I wouldn't be surprised if more people were simplifying their life like this.

http://www.theonion.com/articles/area-man-constantly-mentioning-he-doesnt-own-a-tel,429/

Positively ancient but I was reminded of this article from the onion.

On another similar note, this is something I experienced first hand in my most recent spate of saddening poverty.

Of course the old dirty marketing tricks don't work quite as well on the generation currently entering the workforce with no disposable income. We're "millenials" now but even with a different name and examples it would be the same principle.

Sure I want to buy that craft beer, that artisan bread, eat organic all the time, buy that thought provoking indie game, be a world traveler, but unless it's an absolute necessity it is a tough decision and often I just have to go without. It certainly becomes obvious how much of our lives is governed by the media we consume especially when we can't afford to participate in much of it.

Snyderman has a new favorite as of 17:02 on Feb 5, 2015

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Snyderman posted:

http://www.theonion.com/articles/area-man-constantly-mentioning-he-doesnt-own-a-tel,429/

Positively ancient but I was reminded of this article from the onion.

On another similar note, this is something I experienced first hand in my most recent spate of saddening poverty.

Of course the old dirty marketing tricks don't work quite as well on the generation currently entering the workforce with no disposable income. We're "millenials" now but even with a different name and examples it would be the same principle.

Sure I want to buy that craft beer, that artisan bread, eat organic all the time, buy that thought provoking indie game, be a world traveler, but unless it's an absolute necessity it is a tough decision and often I just have to go without. It certainly becomes obvious how much of our lives is governed by the media we consume especially when we can't afford to participate in much of it.

I think that's very common now, and marketers don't really seem to be willing to confront it. At least, they aren't advertising to millennials the way they market to the stereotypically impoverished, like, say, middle-aged people of color. There's still this assumption that young white people have disposable income. But even in the increasingly rare cases where they do, millennials aren't spending their money as freely. Millennials are much more likely to avoid credit cards and taking on debt. You used to be able to count on some easy money from a college kid who couldn't wait to rack up credit card bills, but now young people aren't really seeing any advantage over just sticking with their debit cards for everything.

A lot of people are assuming that when this generation comes into money they'll react the same way the WWII generation did, buying up the american dream as fast as they can, but that was a generation that wasn't cynical about advertising, that remains very gullible and slow to recognize a scam even now. Little by little I see stories like jidohan's about someone giving up something that's supposed to be mandatory for american life, and not really missing it. Sure, it's usually not television (please keep watching television everyone, television pays my bills), but how many people have you all met who gave up, say, soda or fast food and not only stopped craving it, but couldn't even stand it after a while?

This sounds more paranoid than I want it to be but a lot of our economy is built on creating products consumers get addicted to. Not just tobacco (another sector where demand is cratering), but highly-engineered junk food, video/mobile gaming, and easy credit. If people stop consuming these products - whether because they choose to or because they can't afford to - long enough to break the addiction, the whole thing's going to collapse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice
The Wall Street Journal says the median income for Millennials in the U.S. is $35,300. That's more than three times the income of a person a dollar below the poverty line established by USDHS. Sure, they're not rolling in cash, but it would be a mistake to assume that young people don't have any disposable income or willingness to use it.