Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Motherfucker, when Abe Foxman tells you you've gone too far, you ain't good for the Jews, and I don't care what Habbad says.

I wonder how much of this denouncement has to do with upcoming elections in Israel and everyone hoping Bibi will be replaced.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Xandu posted:

I wonder how much of this denouncement has to do with upcoming elections in Israel and everyone hoping Bibi will be replaced.

Bibi isn't getting replaced, he's going to be governing Israel from a more solid political position. Worst thing that could happen to Bibi is ISIL surrenders unilaterally to Israel and declares its intent to mass convert to hasidim, and we all know how likely that is to occur.

Bibi will identify, target, and destroy with degregation several ISIL cells in West Bank, with Egyptian partners assisting in the same for Gazan/Sinai ISIL. In this, you can trust the Bibi sitter to appropriately sit on Gazan and Palestinian populations until all known operational cells are eliminated and they cry uncle in public policy.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Is it bad that I hope Bibi slips on a rusty nail and dies?

treasured8elief
Jul 25, 2011

Salad Prong

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Motherfucker, when Abe Foxman tells you you've gone too far, you ain't good for the Jews, and I don't care what Habbad says.

Tzachi Hanegbi, Israel’s deputy minister of Foreign Affairs posted:

The Republicans know, as the president has already made clear, that he will veto this legislation [the Iran sanctions bill]. So in order to pass legislation that overcomes the veto, two-thirds are required in the Senate. So if the prime minister can persuade another one or two or another three or four, this could have weight.
:crossarms: I thought his job was to not so cleanly and bluntly say that Netanyahu's trip's purpose was influencing American legislation. Like, can't openly saying what's normally just commonly accepted turn around to bite them even worse?

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

tentative8e8op posted:

:crossarms: I thought his job was to not so cleanly and bluntly say that Netanyahu's trip's purpose was influencing American legislation. Like, can't openly saying what's normally just commonly accepted turn around to bite them even worse?

Really, it comes down to two votes in the Senate, and Reid is willing to discuss the issue. Obama's super-pissed because Reid and Durbin are throwing him under the bus on the Iranian issues. Honestly, if I was a Bibi political strategist, I'd compare Obama's unhingedness on Iranian nuclear ambitions to Nixon's dealings with the committee to re-elect in such a way which provides an opportunity for all '16 contenders to use to distance themselves from Obama's failed ME strategy while positioning themselves as a hardliner unwilling to appease Iranian terrorism.

Bibi's purpose in his visit to America is reinforcing that any attacks on Israel which will occur before the complete eradication of jihadism, political islam, and recognition of Kurdistan are because Congress refused to stand up to Obama's appeasement of terrorists.

My Imaginary GF fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Feb 7, 2015

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

MonsieurChoc posted:

Is it bad that I hope Bibi slips on a rusty nail and dies?

You and a whole lot of Israelis.

tentative8e8op posted:

Israelis have no gently caress to give, especially the latest and greatest generations of "statesmen" who think diplomacy and subtlety is for losers.

"How, look at how I made the Turkish Ambassador sit on a low chair to embarrass him, and how I am telling you this literally because I have the impulse control of a really petulant child."

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

My Imaginary GF posted:

Really, it comes down to two votes in the Senate, and Reid is willing to discuss the issue. Obama's super-pissed because Reid and Durbin are throwing him under the bus on the Iranian issues. Honestly, if I was a Bibi political strategist, I'd compare Obama's unhingedness on Iranian nuclear ambitions to Nixon's dealings with the committee to re-elect in such a way which provides an opportunity for all '16 contenders to use to distance themselves from Obama's failed ME strategy while positioning themselves as a hardliner unwilling to appease Iranian terrorism.

Bibi's purpose in his visit to America is reinforcing that any attacks on Israel which will occur before the complete eradication of jihadism, political islam, and recognition of Kurdistan are because Congress refused to stand up to Obama's appeasement of terrorists.

Bibi is operating in a conspiracy with the legislature to do away with the legitimate executive power of Obama. He is searching for his Brutus, and has likely found one. It will be sad when this gang of hyenas takes the wheel.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Panzeh posted:

Bibi is operating in a conspiracy with the legislature to do away with the legitimate executive power of Obama. He is searching for his Brutus, and has likely found one. It will be sad when this gang of hyenas takes the wheel.

But these are all honorable men.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

I love how MIGF's posting persona in other threads is that of a cold, emotionless, hard-nosed realpolitik-bot concerned only with expanding American power as ruthlessly and efficiently as possible without regard for morality or human life...but when he comes to this thread America's role is to be Israel's lapdog, elect whomever Bibi wants as US President, and lay down blood and treasure to war against anyone Israel doesn't like.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

tentative8e8op posted:

The express stated purpose of his speech, from the beginning, was to influence the American position on Iran. That was never a secret. That's another reason the White House is pissed off, by the way - the day after Obama advocated a softer stance on Iran, the House invited Netanyahu to come up in front of Congress and lobby for a harder stance on Iran.

What he's not going to admit is that the real purpose of the trip is to make Boehner and Netanyahu look like bigshots for political gain. Netanyahu expected that the prestige of going up in front of Congress to advocate for Israel would help him look powerful back home and aid him in the elections that are scheduled just a couple of weeks after his speech, and Boehner is just openly sticking it to Obama in order to impress the Republican base and show everyone he's not scared of the big bad veto.

Lustful Man Hugs
Jul 18, 2010

Absurd Alhazred posted:

But these are all honorable men.

Ha. Classy.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

VitalSigns posted:

I love how MIGF's posting persona in other threads is that of a cold, emotionless, hard-nosed realpolitik-bot concerned only with expanding American power as ruthlessly and efficiently as possible without regard for morality or human life...but when he comes to this thread America's role is to be Israel's lapdog, elect whomever Bibi wants as US President, and lay down blood and treasure to war against anyone Israel doesn't like.

In that sense he perfectly captures the bizarre schizophrenia of the American political class which will drop the numbers game the moment Israel becomes the topic.

If we could marshal the psychosis that puts Israel first in American politics to be as concerned for the plight of people around the world who are actually in need of America's help, what a world it would be.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Um well in fairness Abe Foxman's job is pretty much to tell everyone and everything that they've gone too far. This is more "Bibi, and I mean this with all due respect. You're making my gimmick look bad."

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Dolash posted:

In that sense he perfectly captures the bizarre schizophrenia of the American political class which will drop the numbers game the moment Israel becomes the topic.

Holy poo poo, you're right.

MIGF is seriously my favorite.

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003

loquacius posted:

Someone who knows more about Israeli politics / parliamentary democracy plz help: assuming that Haaretz's current polls are 100% accurate, is there any likely feat of coalition-building that could possibly result in a prime-minister that is not Bibi? Likud has a 2-seat lead on Zionist Camp, and there's no way in hell that Habayit Hayehudi and Yisrael Beiteinu aren't gonna join the Likud coalition. And Shas. And Yachad. We're in trouble, aren't we? :smith:

YB could more than you think, Shas actually could if Eli Yishai really is gone (but they and YTJ don't fit with YB or YA.) If that is the case, both them and Yachad would have trouble meeting the threshold. You are also forgetting Yulanu which theoretically could ally against Likud because Oren, and everyone hating Bibi so much.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

VitalSigns posted:

You know who Sultan Erdogan would prefer win '16? Clinton. You know who Bibi could work with after the '16 election? Anybody, especially Jeb.

And in a Clinton v. Bush mash-up, Bush wins by default. Clinton was simply far too weak during her tenure as SoS, which has resulted in the rise of ISIL and the Russian invasion of Ukraine. You know you remembers the reset button? Tzipi Livni doesn't remember, the Bibisitter remembers.

I won't deign to discuss the implications of your assumption that famous Jewish Israeli Benjamin 'Bibi' Netanyahu seeks "blood and treasure." What you fail to understand is that Israel is the most American of non-American nations on this planet, with a Knesset much more harsh and unforgiving on political weakness than our Congress. Israel is both what America aspires for and what America invests in as a labratory of innovation, and Israel's status is as achievable for any other nation in America so long as they are willing to proflagate the wisdom of our Congress and the earnestness of the American people.

Israel, at heart, is America's wild west, with its own nativist issues. And we all know the American reaction to nativist uprisings against development, wage growth, economic advancement, and democratic government; we cannot expect any different from our Israeli friends.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

My Imaginary GF posted:

And in a Clinton v. Bush mash-up, Bush wins by default.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

My Imaginary GF posted:

Israel is both what America aspires for. Israel, at heart, is America's wild west, with its own nativist issues. And we all know the American reaction to nativist uprisings against development, wage growth, economic advancement, and democratic government; we cannot expect any different from our Israeli friends.

Yes. Both countries are relentlessly racist, and built upon genocide and oppression. America's democracy is the purest expression of Ancient Grecian democracy: power to the people (who have facial hair and belong to the right ethnic group; all others are slaves).

The word of the day is "proflagate".

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Cat Mattress posted:

The word of the day is "proflagate".
Do you mean "profligate"?

In more relevant news, should I do a translation of a fairly typical series of classroom discussions with highschool students re: traitorous lefties, hateful Arabs, "only Bib can give us security"? Not taken from my own experience, but sadly quite representative of today's mixed up youth.

http://www.ha-makom.co.il/post/avudim-scare-lesson

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Xander77 posted:

In more relevant news, should I do a translation of a fairly typical series of classroom discussions with highschool students re: traitorous lefties, hateful Arabs, "only Bib can give us security"? Not taken from my own experience, but sadly quite representative of today's mixed up youth.

That's probably the saddest thing I read this week. Mostly because I remember being in that classroom.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Xander77 posted:

I don't know, I think MIGF actually meant "propagate".

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Xander77 posted:

You probably should. Even though, or especially because, it's extremely :smithicide:.

In more upbeat news, Shelly Yechimovich, former Labor chair and currently No 3 in the Zionist Camp's Knesset list, had her bicycle stolen, so she posted about it on Facebook like any random Israeli hipster would: with a picture and a request that people see if they can bring it back for a small finder's fee.

"Hey, it's Shelly,

Someone stole my bicycle, the one in the picture, and I'm very much attached to her. They somehow managed to survive for many years. They were tied up using a lousy lock (the good one was broken) to the bicycle stand under the Zionist Camp campaign headquarters, at Yigal Alon, near Caffe-Caffe. Whoever is addicted to bicycles like me knows the feeling. Anybody who knows where they are is asked to take a picture and post it on my page, and if someone finds them or took them by accident, they can bring them to the lobby of the building in front of the bicycle stand, or to take them and leave a response and some details, and they will be rewarded."

Hebrew is gendered, and she used a feminine pronoun for the bicycle (the word is masculine in Hebrew). Several people complained, to which she responded: "To all those complaining that bicycles are male, mine is female, I know them best." Several other people guess that whoever stole it was an Eritrean "infiltrator", and since she's supported not treating asylum seekers like animals, they say she deserves it.

Hmm... that isn't as upbeat as I had thought. It's just a kind of whimsey that isn't common in American politics, I figured I'd share. :gbsmith:

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Hebrew is gendered, and she used a feminine pronoun for the bicycle (the word is masculine in Hebrew). Several people complained, to which she responded: "To all those complaining that bicycles are male, mine is female, I know them best." Several other people guess that whoever stole it was an Eritrean "infiltrator", and since she's supported not treating asylum seekers like animals, they say she deserves it.

Weird, Most languages that do have grammatical gender refer to a Bicycle in the feminine.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
In Quebec it depends on which word you use: "Une bicyclette, un beusik".

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Weird, Most languages that do have grammatical gender refer to a Bicycle in the feminine.

Hebrew bicycles are manlier. :smuggo:

MonsieurChoc posted:

In Quebec it depends on which word you use: "Une bicyclette, un beusik".

Les Quebecois être fous, mec!

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax
German bikes are neutral :geno:

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Random Hebrew question, what are the various words and genders used for boats and types of sea-going vessels?

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

botany posted:

Woops should have said 'no neutral grammatical gender.'

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
With the uniform they're soldiers, out of uniform they're just Arabs. :smith:

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
Israel is very embarrassing for me.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Avshalom posted:

Israel is very embarrassing for me.

Why? What is Israel to you, other than the crucible in which Arik was formed?

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax

Absurd Alhazred posted:

I'm a self-respecting Jew whose vagina embraces everyone and rejects nobody!

Also a hot fat slut

Avshalom fucked around with this message at 09:56 on Feb 8, 2015

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

botany posted:

Bikes are gendered in Dutch, not neutral. But I don't know whether it's masculine or feminine gender (:gay:) because Dutch don't remember the difference :shrug:

E: wiktionary tells me a Dutch bike is feminine

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 11:35 on Feb 8, 2015

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Absurd Alhazred posted:

It is the hopes and dreams of my ancestors; it is where my family operated a grove and press before the German/Arab troubles; it is where I retain the right to seek refuge in case America is driven to repeat the mistakes of other nations' past.

VitalSigns posted:

Bikes are gendered in Dutch, not neutral. But I don't know whether it's masculine or feminine gender (:gay:) because Dutch don't remember the difference :shrug:

E: wiktionary tells me a Dutch bike is feminine

Bikes were originally advertised as an acceptavle leisure activity for women.

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW

Avshalom posted:

I'm a self-respecting Jew whose vagina embraces everyone and rejects nobody!

Also a hot fat slut

Hello, friend.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

My Imaginary GF posted:

It is the hopes and dreams of my ancestors; it is where my family operated a grove and press before the German/Arab troubles; it is where I retain the right to seek refuge in case America is driven to repeat the mistakes of other nations' past.

Without America Israel would be the complete opposite of refuge, especially in some weird hypothetical future where America turns anti-semitic. I mean, I wouldn't call it a refuge now either though, since it has been historically been a pretty dangerous place for Jews compared to the rest of the first world. It's totally the place to be if you want to be on top of a brutal racial hierarchy though, as long as the occasional draft or murder attempt doesn't rattle you too much.

DarkCrawler fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Feb 8, 2015

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

DarkCrawler posted:

Without America Israel would be the complete opposite of refuge, especially in some weird hypothetical future where America turns anti-semitic.

It was somewhat touch-and-go with whom Israel would align when it just started out. Remember that the USSR voted for recognition in the UN, and there were contacts with China. Really what prevented it from becoming a Soviet client was Ben Gurion's ardent anti-Communism, but if the Americans hadn't stepped up, he would have found some other way.

But really, it's a big "if", since the support of the American Jewish community was very much what tipped the scales very early for the US. It's a bit like how American response to Cuba had been for generations so dominated by anti-Francoist Cuban expats. Except imagine Batista had prevailed, I suppose.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Absurd Alhazred posted:

It was somewhat touch-and-go with whom Israel would align when it just started out. Remember that the USSR voted for recognition in the UN, and there were contacts with China. Really what prevented it from becoming a Soviet client was Ben Gurion's ardent anti-Communism, but if the Americans hadn't stepped up, he would have found some other way.

But really, it's a big "if", since the support of the American Jewish community was very much what tipped the scales very early for the US. It's a bit like how American response to Cuba had been for generations so dominated by anti-Francoist Cuban expats. Except imagine Batista had prevailed, I suppose.

Well I meant at the current moment, when US is pretty much the only country that doesn't deeply loathe Israel and everything it represents and keeps the other countries from acting out on that loathing. Israel in the past was refuge only to those escaping even worse places. Pretty sure quite a lot of Israelis are getting out as fast as they can right now, either because of the economy or the violence.

DarkCrawler fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Feb 8, 2015

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

DarkCrawler posted:

Well I meant at the current moment, when US is pretty much the only country that doesn't deeply loathe Israel and everything it represents and keeps the other countries from acting out on that loathing. Israel in the past was refuge only to those escaping even worse places. Pretty sure quite a lot of Israelis are getting out as fast as they can right now, either because of the economy or the violence.
Oh, I see.

I can tell you that quite a few of my friends are either sympathetic to me having left or are looking for their own way out, if only for employment. On the other hand, there are all these French Jews who have been coming in lately. But I think that's not as much antisemitism as economic stagnation in France, which is a complaint I heard from educated French folks when I was there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?
The Bibi backtrack

• Locked thread