Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

trigger warning: open-world survival with crafting and zombies

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
I've been playing Darksiders 1, its solid but the boss fights are so goddamn boring. I've just given up on beating the spider boss because its just not fun anymore.

Pews
Mar 7, 2006

one thousand years of anime
Grimey Drawer

the wildest rear end posted:

His particular steam background costs an entire :10bux: and it used to cost around $30. Now that's dedication.

Even more hilarious, when it first came out it was easily $50-100. This is from a F2P game

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Pews posted:

Even more hilarious, when it first came out it was easily $50-100. This is from a F2P game

f2p cards are actually worth more than regular game cards because the amount that drops is based on how much money you've actually spent

Pews
Mar 7, 2006

one thousand years of anime
Grimey Drawer

corn in the bible posted:

f2p cards are actually worth more than regular game cards because the amount that drops is based on how much money you've actually spent

Yea now that there's the badge crafter though all the F2P game's marketplace prices took a dump.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Jerusalem posted:

Thanks, I'll keep that in mind, I have to admit usually anytime I see the words "Weapons" and "crafting" in a game my eyes glaze over and I fall asleep, so anything that trivializes it so I can just play the game is fine by me.

It's barely crafting when you get down into it. The Darksiders wiki I read can explain it in better detail than I can but basically cursed weapons can be "fed" other weapons a limited number of times to upgrade their damage, take on a limited number of traits of your choosing based on the traits of the first few weapons you feed into it, and upgrade those traits (if you feed it more of the same trait). There's a number of things you can do but getting as much health as you can on a critical hit is easily the most overpowered of them.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Rookersh posted:

On the bright side, a whole bunch of ex-Vigil guys/Joe Madureira got together and formed a new studio, and are working on something that sounds like it'll be revealed within the next few months. And since Madureira not so subtlety hinted that he was working on Darksiders 3 for Nordic last year, we might actually hear about Darksiders 3 this year. Or at least something similar.

If this possible Darksiders 3 is more like 1 than 2, I'm hype for it. I wonder which of the two remaining ones would be the playable character. I could go for gunslinger demon or... whip, I think? demon.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

chumbler posted:

If this possible Darksiders 3 is more like 1 than 2, I'm hype for it. I wonder which of the two remaining ones would be the playable character. I could go for gunslinger demon or... whip, I think? demon.

I honestly just figured they'd try and make a 4-player co-op game - an ARPG or something.

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."
So, I'm playing Pool Nation. Hella fun game. But there's hardly any multiplayer to it. Unless I'm missing a group I can join?

Iymarra
Oct 4, 2010

Survived AGDQ 2018 Awful Games block!
Grimey Drawer
http://store.steampowered.com/app/345580/

:siren: Derek Smarts at it again :siren:

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

An, another freebie with cut off support and another "new" project incoming.

quote:

While there are currently no plans to add any new features, we are working on a surprise feature that will completely blow your mind

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010
Universal Combat? That game was amazing!...ly buggy, but also with a shitton of potential(mostly for modding). If he released a version of that game that wasn't complete poo poo I might even buy it again.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Zeron posted:

Universal CombatBattlecruiser 3000AD? That game was amazing!...ly buggy, but also with a shitton of potential(mostly for modding). If he released a version of that game that wasn't complete poo poo I might even buy it again.
They are still working on it.

Gorilla Radio
May 10, 2007
On behalf of the Serbs, we're very sorry for the Hillary Clinton sniper incident. Next time, we'll aim better.
Does anyone know if Frontiers is in a playable state yet? I've been following the development blog (daily updates) but would like a goon opinion before throwing down the $15.

Smoremaster
Aug 5, 2009

Don't forget to source your quotes!

Gorilla Radio posted:

Does anyone know if Frontiers is in a playable state yet? I've been following the development blog (daily updates) but would like a goon opinion before throwing down the $15.

Never heard of this until now, but I'm a sucker for this type of game so I might give it a go.

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW
So Overture is another game from the SantuaryRPG people, but this time top down real time, Binding of Isaac smashed into Zelda and played out on a Diablo 2 overworld. For $5 it's pretty amaze. The bosses all spit bullet hell projectiles and you can unlock like a dozen classes or something.

Me, I got a free copy from Downs Duck in the gifting thread :v: thanks again!

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Something called The Asskickers released. This is the first screenshot on the official Steam page:

I have not checked anything else about the game after seeing it.

Defeatist Elitist
Jun 17, 2012

I've got a carbon fixation.

Oh wow this is really something. Just downloaded it 'cause it was free.

There is no in game menu. In order to do anything you have to memorize the in game shortcut. Including saving (Alt-G) or quitting (Alt-Q). :captainpop:

Factory Davey
Jan 9, 2010

I am aware of what the hands look like. I did my best. :(

Palpek posted:

Something called The Asskickers released. This is the first screenshot on the official Steam page:

I have not checked anything else about the game after seeing it.

Glorious

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Wreath of Barbs posted:

Mediocre/Bad/Sometimes Good Game Giveaway!

So I've got seven random, cheap games in my inventory. Some good, some awful, some I have no idea. The first seven Goons to message me on Steam get one at random.

All I ask for in return is a trip report post.

Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/revweirdbeard/

Edit: All games gone! I'm so sorry to the winners!

There's no need to be sorry.

I got Urban Chaos.

It's a the person action game that came out on PC in late 1999 followed by PS1 and then Dreamcast ports in 2000. It reviewed pretty decently at the time, and a lot of people seem to be comparing it to GTA3, which is totally wrong because apart from being a third person action game with driving and killing muggers, there's not much similarity. This game has a bunch of distinct missions rather than an open world, although the levels themselves are fairly open. You play as D'arci Stern, a rookie policewoman who has to apparently do all the work cleaning up the city. This doesn't seem like a bad game, but it's got a few problems.

I'm not going to hold the graphics against it since it's now over 15 years old, but just for completenesses sake, it looks like this:

There's no widescreen support, at least natively, if that bothers you, and the resolution caps out at 768x1024.

Now for the biggest problem: the controls. It's a third person action game, but because it's from 1999 the gamepad support is poo poo. You can't map a lot of the controls, and it's a crapshoot as to whether the ones you have mapped will work. I couldn't get it to register my x, y or b buttons for punching, kicking and actions at all, but it didn't matter because I couldn't handle the movement at all anyway. After switching to mouse and keyboard, I discovered there was no mouse support at all anyway. It's got movement on the arrow keys and actions on z, x and c, which I think was standard at some point, but I haven't seen a scheme like that outside of flash games in a long time. It's workable, but the lack of camera control, mouse support or gamepad does make it a bit of a chore to get used to.

The game starts with some tutorials you have to do, one each for movement, combat and driving. The movement one has a lot of navigating narrow walkways, climbing fences and boxes, and jumping between tall things. It took me twenty minutes of failure with the gamepad before I gave up on that and then finished it second try with the keyboard. The combat is a perfectly reasonable system of punches, kicks, grapples and combos of those three things. You can do sidekicks to hit enemies trying to flank you, knock people over with a slide tackle, grapple them and kick them in the nuts until they fall over so you can arrest them. The combat system seems pretty good so far, although the combos are a little hard to hit and I haven't worked out the timing on them yet. There's not really a whole lot to say about the driving, other than it seems to work pretty well.

The missions themselves take place on a reasonably open map, where you'll be able to run or drive about hunting for objectives. There's primary and secondary objectives, but what's what isn't marked very well, so you can miss things if you go to the wrong one first. The game has a radar to point you in the direction of an objective, but it's not always particularly useful. The second mission has a side objective where you have to retrieve a stolen police car while the guy who lost it stands still making you work. The objective marker always points to him, and I never actually found the witness he sent me after or the car before I gave up and went to do something else. The other objective in that mission is to sneak up and ambush a guy threatening to jump off a building, and likewise, the objective marker will always point to him, despite the fact that you need to go a decent way away to find the ladder that will get you up to him. For bonus points, the ladder blends in to the wall and took me a good few minutes to find, leaving me pretty confused.

I've been pretty negative so far, so here's some good things. The combat seems to be a pretty good attempt at bringing a scrolling beatemup sort of thing to 3 space. The game isn't terrible looking - it could do with some higher res graphics and less grey, but for the most part it doesn't stand out as ugly or anything, which is more than you can say for some games of the era. The objective variety seems pretty good, so there's more interesting things to do than chase increasing numbers of gang members. Once you get used to the controls, it's pretty neat to start finding little back alleys and climbing all over buildings to grab all the little bonus pickups, although I'm not entirely sure what said pickups do a lot of the time. The actual gameplay, once you get used to it, is fun, although not particularly complex.

I'm only a few missions in, and I'll keep playing a bit longer, but my initial impressions are that it's generally a good game that I like. The steam reviews have people complaining about crashes, but it's been perfectly stable for the 90 minutes I've played so far. It's currently 75% off in the squeenix sale and probably worth a couple of whatever your local currency is (£1.24 for me right now). I'd probably rather play GTA or something more modern, but it's more dated than bad so it might be worth a look if sounds like your sort of thing. Probably not worth the $140 collectors edition, but worth what it's at right now. There's a GOG version if you'd rather go DRM free, but that's not on sale.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Doesn't Urban Chaos have saves between missions only?

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.
I remember playing Urban Chaos when it first came out, and being REALLY impressed by all the leaves. I've always been a dumbass.

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

(and can't post for 5 years!)

Ziggurat is really good and i don't normally like this type of game.

This is all.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

Defeatist Elitist posted:

Oh wow this is really something. Just downloaded it 'cause it was free.

There is no in game menu. In order to do anything you have to memorize the in game shortcut. Including saving (Alt-G) or quitting (Alt-Q). :captainpop:

From its store page:

quote:

The game has docs (93 pages), commands (3 pages), tutorial (97 pages) built-in. You can access them using SHIFT+H, ALT+H, CTRL+H.

:captainpop: indeed.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Honestly, the best part about Urban Chaos is the completely batshit storyline.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008
I kind of wish Urban Chaos: Riot Response would have been released on Steam instead, but i guess that never had a PC port in the first place.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Oh my. No in game tutorial, so Derek Smart is telling people to print the 97-page document and read it while they play the game instead!

Edit: Beaten, but still, :laffo:

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY

Arnold of Soissons posted:

So Overture is another game from the SantuaryRPG people, but this time top down real time, Binding of Isaac smashed into Zelda and played out on a Diablo 2 overworld. For $5 it's pretty amaze. The bosses all spit bullet hell projectiles and you can unlock like a dozen classes or something.

Me, I got a free copy from Downs Duck in the gifting thread :v: thanks again!

Holy poo poo I wish I woulda snagged this than stupid rear end Sweezy Gunner. :doh:

snodig
Oct 5, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tIn1_9YvGds

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.
In the Steam Final Fantasy 7, can you only save at checkpoints or can you save anytime?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Ribsauce posted:

In the Steam Final Fantasy 7, can you only save at checkpoints or can you save anytime?

Same as the original; Save Points in dungeons/town, anywhere when you're on the World Map.

Sonel
Sep 14, 2007
Lipstick Apathy
I'm enjoying sniper elite 3 a lot more than 2. The maps are bigger and more open and I haven't gotten stuck in a firefight in small cramped corridors yet. Although that may change because now I'm supposed to infiltrate a bunker network. And the co-op multiplayer scene seems to be dead so you will need a buddy if you want to play the campaign that way. While it may not be worth $130 I'd say it's at least $100.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

RadicalR posted:

So, I'm playing Pool Nation. Hella fun game. But there's hardly any multiplayer to it. Unless I'm missing a group I can join?

I love this game, it's extremely chill. Endurance mode is fantastic, though I don't think the scoring is modified based on your aim-assist which it should be.

Oh well, *I* know I'm not cheating. :colbert:

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
This is a bit of a longshot, but are there any goons out there that haven't bought AssCreed 3/Black Flag yet, but want to in the future?

I want the Benedict Arnold/Aveline DLCs, because I'm an OCD completionist. Thing is, unless you buy the Deluxe Edition, you can't get the keys, since they never resold them through any other means. Since I bought the Standard Edition of AssCreed 3 due to the press around it near release, and didn't want to buy the Deluxe Edition of Black Flag after AssCreed 3, I'm missing both DLC. I also can't now buy the Deluxe Editions because I already own the Standard Edition, so the only way I CAN get the DLC is through taking someone elses.

Neither sounds exceptional ( both are sub40 minutes long ), so I propose a deal for some enterprising goon. I will give you $5-10 ( depending on price, if AssCreed 3 goes on sale for $11, I'm not buying the game for you. ) for your Benedict Arnold/Aveline DLC code, so you can get the Deluxe Edition of either game ( which has a whole bunch of other DLC I don't give a poo poo about ) for a lower price then the Standard Edition. Neither DLC is tied to the plot of the game, so you won't be missing out, and you'll get the game for an even lower price.

All I ask is for that key ( which is separate from the Game/Deluxe keys as I understand it ).

Obviously this will likely be a "lets wait till the games go on sale again" type deal, since nobody wants to buy the games at full price. I just imagine a sale will come up soon thanks to Rogue, so I'm preparing ahead of time.

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011
EDIT: Never mind, my computer lied about what page it was.

Corin Tucker's Stalker posted:

I remember playing Urban Chaos when it first came out, and being REALLY impressed by all the leaves. I've always been a dumbass.

I bought Watchdogs, so the joke is on me.

Ederick
Jan 2, 2013
So is Universal Combat CE worth looking into at all? Reading multiple 90+ page PDFs "before even thinking of starting the game" seems like garbage, but is there a super fun space game at the end of the tunnel? I've somehow gone 18 years on the Internet without hearing much about Derek Smart or his games, so I'm not sure what the general consensus is. Or should I just stick with Star Ruler or Sins of a Solar Empire or something if I wanna play with giant capital ships?

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Same as the original; Save Points in dungeons/town, anywhere when you're on the World Map.

You can always use an emulator. Save your save states in a dropbox or similar syncing software if you're playing on multiple devices (including Android, maybe iOS?) if that's something you're worried about. I have them on Steam too, but it seems to be easier through emulation for that exact reason. Sometimes things come up and I don't have 10 minutes to find a save point.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Ederick posted:

So is Universal Combat CE worth looking into at all? Reading multiple 90+ page PDFs "before even thinking of starting the game" seems like garbage, but is there a super fun space game at the end of the tunnel? I've somehow gone 18 years on the Internet without hearing much about Derek Smart or his games, so I'm not sure what the general consensus is. Or should I just stick with Star Ruler or Sins of a Solar Empire or something if I wanna play with giant capital ships?

it's derek smart so don't play it

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Ederick posted:

So is Universal Combat CE worth looking into at all? Reading multiple 90+ page PDFs "before even thinking of starting the game" seems like garbage, but is there a super fun space game at the end of the tunnel? I've somehow gone 18 years on the Internet without hearing much about Derek Smart or his games, so I'm not sure what the general consensus is.
The Derek Smart Pattern: 1) release a buggy overly ambitious pile of code 2) patch it a little 3) abandon it and make it free 4) announce a new commercial game that is an update of the earlier wreck 5) goto 1)
In a way he's been making the same game for decades and still hasn't finished it.
If anything, the earlier games that concentrated mainly on the capital ships were better and more focused, than UC where you also get lovely vehcles and crappy FPS. By "better" I mean you can still land of the surface Jupiter in Battlecruiser, if you find the right keys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Fattest PI
Mar 4, 2008
I just impulse bought valkyria chronicles because I like turn based strategy even though I hate anime weeaboo poo poo. Please tell me it's actually good.

Also recommend me other ones TIA

• Locked thread