Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bobvonunheil
Mar 18, 2007

Board games and tea
I really want to back Final Attack but I am moving in September and wouldn't want the game to be delivered to the wrong country, and have been burned too often in the past by kickstarters taking months longer than anticipated. BL, could I back and get my shipment delayed until I have a fixed address?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

bobvonunheil posted:

I really want to back Final Attack but I am moving in September and wouldn't want the game to be delivered to the wrong country, and have been burned too often in the past by kickstarters taking months longer than anticipated. BL, could I back and get my shipment delayed until I have a fixed address?

Absolutely. I've known you for a while so it shouldn't be a problem.

Alternate answer: Just back at the Terrorist Tier and I'll hand deliver it to you lmao

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Poison Mushroom posted:

Dammit. Now two-player Final Attack will never measure up to the standards I'm now holding it to.

Edit I really want to back the kickstarter, but I'm not sure if I can justify $50 for a game I'll only ever play solo. No matter how good a solo experience it is.

Mage Knight costs nearly twice as much and remains a solo game even if you are sucking Vlaada Chvatil's dick while you play. Justification provided, give BL your drat money.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.

echoMateria posted:

Rahdo loves real time games and since he was a video game designer (and doesn't have some weird bias about some styles of cartoons unlike some people) would also get into the theme. Though I wonder how and if FA! would scale to 2. He and Jen wasn't able to play SA with 2, so it isn't amongst their favorites.

Out of curiosity, what did he work on? I jizzed my pants when I found out Vlaada was the designer behind Original War.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Lichtenstein posted:

Out of curiosity, what did he work on? I jizzed my pants when I found out Vlaada was the designer behind Original War.

Brink, Fable II and the Syphon thingy trilogy. He's in IMDB.

Zveroboy
Apr 17, 2007

If you take those sheep again I will bury this fucking axe in your skull.
Oh BoardGameGeek, you do brighten my days.

Woke up this morning to find a post in the Dominion sub-forum saying "I think that shuffling victory point cards into your deck is bad game design". OP then plays a game leaving the Victory cards out of the deck, only to discover "the game is clearly balanced around having cards that do nothing from time to time."

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
People still want to either take the attack cards out or want Moat to always be on the table, what do you expect?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Zveroboy posted:

Woke up this morning to find a post in the Dominion sub-forum saying "I think that shuffling victory point cards into your deck is bad game design". OP then plays a game leaving the Victory cards out of the deck, only to discover "the game is clearly balanced around having cards that do nothing from time to time."
At least he actually put his playtest where his mouth is and admitted he was wrong.

Context
Sep 11, 2006

Broken Loose posted:

There's a reason why 1P Space Alert doesn't use the soundtrack.

Just fyi, this isn't the case with my copy of the rules at least. It only says to not use the soundtrack if you're playing solo to get familiar with the mechanics of the game.

nonatomic retain
May 25, 2003
[[title alloc] init];
title.value = @"Title";
[title show:(GLKView*) view];
[title dealloc];
title = nil;

Zveroboy posted:

My favorite part of BGG is seeing what random "this or that" threads get posted, as if a meaningful comparison could be made between the two games in most cases.

Cosmic Encounter or Panamax?
Magic: The Gathering or Caylus?
Talisman or The Staufer Dynasty?
Candyland or Roads & Boats?

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

You know, I've got a funny feeling I've seen this all before.

nonatomic retain posted:

My favorite part of BGG is seeing what random "this or that" threads get posted, as if a meaningful comparison could be made between the two games in most cases.

Cosmic Encounter or Panamax?
Magic: The Gathering or Caylus?
Talisman or The Staufer Dynasty?
Candyland or Roads & Boats?

Happens all the time on reddit as well.

Poison Mushroom posted:

At least he actually put his playtest where his mouth is and admitted he was wrong.

He still says it's bad game design though, having just stated that the game does not work without it. Incredible.

I also laughed at this further down the thread:

quote:

Surprisingly many designers make the truly bizarre decision to have the cards that are worth the most victory points also the most valuable to have in one's deck, leading to severe runaway leader issues. The deckbuilders that don't do this, like Dominion and Star Realms (and to a lesser extent Ascension) are the only ones I can really stand to play.

He's right of course except that Star Realms is pretty guilty of this. There's a handful of green cards that you could maybe argue are 'bad' apart from doing a lot of damage but otherwise expensive cards generally do the best things, heal for the most and/or do the most damage simultaneously.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Deckbuilders without specific 'do-nothing' VP cards usually get around the problem by instituting a two resource economy, which is its own brand of terrible.

Zveroboy
Apr 17, 2007

I've also noticed in BGG's Reccomendations subforum and on the boardgames subreddit a consistent stream of threads about gamers seemingly desperate to get friends and family into board gaming.

They either go in too hard, too fast and you get thread titles like "Tired to get my non-gamer friends to play Castles of Burgundy they hated it and now they think I'm the most boring nerd in thr world, what's another game I can use to get them into the hobby?" or they just won't accept that some people just aren't interested resulting in "My girlfriend hates playing TTR, Catan, Love Letter, Candy Land, Monopoly, Risk and Game of Life. She always makes excuses to not play games when I want to. WHAT GAME CAN I USE TO GET HER INTO THE HOBBY?!!"

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Since the 18XX thread died (RIP), this thread will have to face once again my pics of 18XX boards. Managed to win this 3P one :getin:
This is a print and play made by one of the players: pretty beautiful in terms of 18XX components:

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend

fozzy fosbourne posted:

What do you ludoholics think about Pret-a-porter? Looks like it's super out of print. I have some friends who I think would be really into the theme

I've played it a couple of times at cons. I don't recall much about it, other than going into it mostly for laughs.

There's a funny story to it, though. The first time we played it, we sat in the convention games room and started grabbing at the cards. After a couple rounds, someone posited an important question:

What the hell is boho?*

Nobody at the table knew, and - as it always happens when you're with friends at cons, it seems - with every passing turn it became more and more of a joke. Suddenly, we noticed the designer passing by, so we called out to him. He comes up, we exchange some pleasantries, yeah, game is nice, we're having fun, but Mr Trzewiczek, what the hell is boho?

He looked at my sister, who was playing with us, and went "Well, the lady ought to know!", then he hosed off to do something else.

We still don't know.

*this term may or may not be present in the English version of the game

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

Tevery Best posted:

I believe the English term is boho-chic.

After accidentally stumbling into a boho trade fair last weekend I still have no idea what it is. Something hipster probably, as there were Mona Lisa socks for sale.

[edit] Also the story is a shameful lie. We sat in the corridor. :colbert:

echoMateria
Aug 29, 2012

Fruitbat Factory

fozzy fosbourne posted:

What do you ludoholics think about Pret-a-porter? Looks like it's super out of print. I have some friends who I think would be really into the theme

E: welp I know what I'm getting my nephew http://www.nerdist.com/2015/02/exclusive-hasbro-announces-star-wars-loopin-chewie-game/

Rococo is the currently available alternative since Pret-a-porter is long OOP. They are both well liked by people who aren't scared of the theme. Lorini commented back in the day that she prefers Pret.

Lichtenstein posted:

Moby Games / Richard Ham

Tevery Best posted:

I've played it a couple of times at cons. I don't recall much about it, other than going into it mostly for laughs.

There's a funny story to it, though. The first time we played it, we sat in the convention games room and started grabbing at the cards. After a couple rounds, someone posited an important question:

What the hell is boho?*

Nobody at the table knew, and - as it always happens when you're with friends at cons, it seems - with every passing turn it became more and more of a joke. Suddenly, we noticed the designer passing by, so we called out to him. He comes up, we exchange some pleasantries, yeah, game is nice, we're having fun, but Mr Trzewiczek, what the hell is boho?

He looked at my sister, who was playing with us, and went "Well, the lady ought to know!", then he hosed off to do something else.

We still don't know.

How come one one took out their phone to check Wikipedia?

echoMateria fucked around with this message at 12:31 on Feb 11, 2015

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It's rude to play with your phone when gaming.

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins
A friend of mine just let me know that he picked me up a couple Lagoon promo tiles from a convention. Looks like they're more of the Astral energy like the Kickstarter promo tile. I'm wondering if David Chott's going to make it into a full energy for an expansion. It'd be interesting to play with more than 4 people if there were more destinies to choose from.

Speaking of which, I've been trying to figure out if a +4 game could potentially work if you had 2 copies of the game and had a rule for no repeats (as in, if a tile's already on the board you have to use the other side). 5 players vs each other might be too chaotic, but 3 teams of 2 might work for 6 players.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

zandert33 posted:

I will pray every day that Broken Loose's Kickstarter is running that it will be successful so that a copy can get into Vasal's hands so he can review it, and this thread can have a meltdown.

Not sure there'd be so much of a meltdown as people reaffirming their dislike of the guy/group. I don't watch reviews or anything for games but i did listen to that top 10 overrated that was recently posted is just distilled "I hate X and since it is popular that means it is overrated". I don't like Agricola because the theme puts me to sleep but I do recognize it's mechanically a very good game.

Big McHuge
Feb 5, 2014

You wait for the war to happen like vultures.
If you want to help, prevent the war.
Don't save the remnants.

Save them all.
I have a couple friends that host a weekly gaming group, and twice a year they do an all-weekend kind of thing where we get some catered food, prizes, etc. It's really cool of them to do, but sadly I find myself GMing quite a bit, because most of the other people have bad taste in games (great people though). It's not for a few weeks, so I've got some time to brush up on rules and such, but my plan is thus:

Friday night: Kemet, Cyclades: Titans
Saturday morning: Keyflower
Saturday night: Samurai Spirit, Bunnyx2 Moosex2, Cutthroat Caverns (a lot of the people like Munchkin for some stupid reason, so I'm gonna try and convert them to a better version of it)
Sunday: Archipelago

I really wanted to do Mage Knight on one of the days, but I've only actually managed to play once, and I'm not sure that a few weeks is will have enough free time to refresh myself on the rules completely. Also I don't have much time during that weekend where I'm *not* teaching, but that's better than having to play Sentinels.

I also had a chance to play Xia for the first time. I may play it again, if only to convince the owner that it's easily breakable. We played the "beginner" version, only going to 10 points and no NPCs. I lost by one point, and I got that far simply by going back and forth between two space the entire game and rolling lots of d20's. Pretty much everyone except the owner of the game had a miserable time. I was not a huge fan of Merchants and Marauders when I played it (but I'm willing to give it another shot), and this piece of poo poo is 10x worse at everything it does.

I don't often get actually angry at games, but Xia tested my limits. There's so much design space for a space exploration and trading type game, and Xia fails so horribly at everything aside from the above-average components.

Dulkor
Feb 28, 2009

My opinion of Xia can be summed up as "Pretty pieces, it'll be nice when there's an actual game to play with them."

It actually nudged my opinion of Firefly upwards by comparison.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Tekopo posted:

Since the 18XX thread died (RIP), this thread will have to face once again my pics of 18XX boards. Managed to win this 3P one :getin:
This is a print and play made by one of the players: pretty beautiful in terms of 18XX components:

Sad about that thread, but happy to keep seeing these posts, so please do keep posting them.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

To be fair, I haven't played an 18XX for at least 6 months if not more.

Zveroboy
Apr 17, 2007

Broken Loose, your Kickstarter video had me grinning like an idiot, I'm sure my colleagues are now aware I wasn't actually writing that test plan like I said I was. gently caress it, you'll have my money by the end of the day.

And my Kickstarter cherry. I hope it's not disappointing :o:

Single Tight Female
Jan 17, 2008
Apologies for rubbing it in for you US folks, but I just received my fixed Dungeon Lords progress board. I'm in the UK for reference, so keep your eyes peeled for a weird bubble wrap package with Czech writing on it!

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Tekopo posted:

Deckbuilders without specific 'do-nothing' VP cards usually get around the problem by instituting a two resource economy, which is its own brand of terrible.
I know you ain't talking poo poo about Puzzle Strike right now.

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

Zveroboy posted:

I can't find it now, but there's seriously a thread on there where a dude talks about houseruling Dominion so that it has a variable market "like Ascension."

edit; link

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1283226/ascension-style-variant

EdsTeioh fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Feb 11, 2015

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

Zveroboy posted:

Broken Loose, your Kickstarter video had me grinning like an idiot, I'm sure my colleagues are now aware I wasn't actually writing that test plan like I said I was. gently caress it, you'll have my money by the end of the day.

And my Kickstarter cherry. I hope it's not disappointing :o:

For all of the quality issues of that video, the first 30 seconds are absolutely perfect.

Rahdo contacted me! I'm so excited!

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Broken Loose posted:

For all of the quality issues of that video, the first 30 seconds are absolutely perfect.

I saw that he added Final Attack! on his 'Games I'm excited about in 2015' geeklist as well. Also, the 2015 kickstarter geeklist seems to have convinced some people to pledge as well :)

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Broken Loose posted:

hazzah, congrats dude

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Oh also, are you currently submitting the thumbnail image for your game?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

I'll probably pledge closer to the deadline. Not because I'm hesitant, but just because I don't want to forget that I have $50 spoken for and get hit by another overdraft or some poo poo.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Broken Loose posted:

Nice going, I wish you good luck in the KS.

FWIW my housemate's been frothing for it since the preview went up and backed pretty much straight away :)

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

Time to rename this thread to Broken Loose's Kickstarter HQ and PR station.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

I can't wait to shout "Let's Final Combination" in an empty room and make the people I'm living with think I've gone crazy.

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

Poison Mushroom posted:

I can't wait to shout "Let's Final Combination" in an empty room and make the people I'm living with think I've gone crazy.

One of the stretch goals had better be a portable version you can play on the bus.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

Tekopo posted:

Oh also, are you currently submitting the thumbnail image for your game?

I did a while ago. I actually wanted to wait to submit it to Geeklists before the art posted, but somebody else beat me to the punch (!!!). BGG takes a while to approve things.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Poison Mushroom posted:

I'll probably pledge closer to the deadline. Not because I'm hesitant, but just because I don't want to forget that I have $50 spoken for and get hit by another overdraft or some poo poo.

Same thing here,I've had that happen once before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

EdsTeioh posted:

I can't find it now, but there's seriously a thread on there where a dude talks about houseruling Dominion so that it has a variable market "like Ascension."

edit; link

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1283226/ascension-style-variant

That could be an interesting variant, but you'd have to rebalance money and VPs to stop big money from being the only viable strategy.

Which I suppose means you just play Ascension where they already did that and leave Dominion as its own game.