Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spiking
Dec 14, 2003

Yeah I wonder if theres a way to play giants citizen kabuto on a modern pc with Good netplay.... That game was the poo poo, besides having a million bugs. Played it on a LAN once in college and had a blast. It was a little more like an rts than a shooter, though, if I remember right

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apple2o
Mar 25, 2009

by Pragmatica

(and can't post for 9 years!)

I was answering dudes question; and I get titles for a couple shitposts :smuggo:. I'm sorry it takes you pages and pages of threadshitting to get noticed, you may resume pissing and moaning about how your broke-rear end can't afford 5$ video game skins now.

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
I'm really sad I can't be a hot pink monster.

Sure it'd suck for stealth but hot pink.

VarXX
Oct 31, 2009
Evolve needs this

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Apple2o posted:

I was answering dudes question; and I get titles for a couple shitposts :smuggo:. I'm sorry it takes you pages and pages of threadshitting to get noticed, you may resume pissing and moaning about how your broke-rear end can't afford 5$ video game skins now.

Lmfao

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

VarXX posted:

Evolve needs this

Is this a real thing or just an excellent photoshop?

Poe's Law is in full effect here.

Kaedric
Sep 5, 2000

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

People saying "oh its not the fact that they don't like the game it's that there's no content to the posts" are full of poo poo. Some random guy posting "This game is a lot of fun!" is providing exactly as much content to the thread as "this game sucks horse balls". Yet somehow those posts never get called out by all the people who complain about threadshitting. I wonder why

Hey little buddy, I'll give you a hint: It's because your example something awful forums poster saying "This game is a lot of fun!!!" isn't doing so in 50+ separate low-content posts.

VarXX
Oct 31, 2009

The Shortest Path posted:

Is this a real thing or just an excellent photoshop?

Poe's Law is in full effect here.

It's 100% real
http://store.steampowered.com/app/281346/

quote:

Deliver chronic lethality when you customize with the new Blunt Force Personalization Pack, complete with all-new themed camo, reticle, patch, playercard and background.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Ahahahahah holy gently caress

DLC is bad.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Kaedric posted:

Hey little buddy, I'll give you a hint: It's because your example something awful forums poster saying "This game is a lot of fun!!!" isn't doing so in 50+ separate low-content posts.

I hope the well doesn't run dry, posts are a very precious and rare commodity

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Apple2o posted:

Hurp *shits pants* :downs:

Fixed that for you.

GenericOverusedName posted:

It's actually about ethics in gaming journalism

Clearly this is more about ethics in Steam Reviews now. How dare people hate on a game they... they don't even own! :911: They don't have any right whatsoever to be posting/reviewing/thinking/threadshitting about a game unless they own it because clearly that's the only way to ever be able to form a correct opinion about any game ever. Plus, why would you ever want to write a review for something you don't own? The nerve of these naughty, rascally, sweaty trolls!

VarXX posted:

If you look most of the negative reviews are also labled "Pre Release" now and none of the writers own the game. It's because the full game uses the same content ID as the early alpha so if you had access to the alpha you can write a review.

Let me introduce you to my friend called 'the internet'. It is the world's largest shitposting machine. Have you ever thought that maybe the bad reviews are, you know, a way of protesting the exceptionally greedy business practices of a publisher and that this is not the first time this has ever happened in the history of said internet? See: Spore DRM, Battlefield 4 launch, etc. Someone who's played the game during Alpha/Beta, thought it was meh, and hates the ham-fisted DLC practices of 2K might actually still have a valid opinion.

Kaedric
Sep 5, 2000

Eonwe posted:

I hope the well doesn't run dry, posts are a very precious and rare commodity

:agreed:

VarXX
Oct 31, 2009

LuiCypher posted:

Let me introduce you to my friend called 'the internet'. It is the world's largest shitposting machine. Have you ever thought that maybe the bad reviews are, you know, a way of protesting the exceptionally greedy business practices of a publisher and that this is not the first time this has ever happened in the history of said internet? See: Spore DRM, Battlefield 4 launch, etc. Someone who's played the game during Alpha/Beta, thought it was meh, and hates the ham-fisted DLC practices of 2K might actually still have a valid opinion.

Spore got bad reviews because it was really bad and not at all what was advertised and bf4 launch the game was completely broken people weren't putting negative reviews because of skins though. I'm not saying these aren't legitimate reviews I'm saying that all of the reviews that say Pre Release are from people who don't have not played the launch version of the game and that a lot of things changed from the alpha so the reviews talking about those things may not be from the final version of the game and should be looked at accordingly.

vvv That's not what I'm saying, and I'm sorry that I have seemingly upset you :(

how me a frog
Feb 6, 2014
Reviewers don't pay for games, clearly their opinions are invalid then.

Senethro
May 18, 2005

I unironically think I'm Garret, Master Thief.
this is getting kind of mean spirited

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Brackhar posted:

It's the rule changes I think. I miss the old ruleset where that type of stuff was banned/probated very quickly; it's definitely made this forum less useful to me as a developer.

developers shouldn't post in this forum at all because all they ever do is have a handful of loud and insanely retarded people tell them how wonderful they are all the time despite working on and creating some of the worst games ever made

Brackhar
Aug 26, 2006

I'll give you a definite maybe.

Larry Parrish posted:

developers shouldn't post in this forum at all because all they ever do is have a handful of loud and insanely retarded people tell them how wonderful they are all the time despite working on and creating some of the worst games ever made

Hah. Actually the reason I posted here as a LoL dev was specifically because everyone here would tell me poo poo was poo poo, as opposed to white-knighting the game.

a cock shaped fruit posted:

I just want to re-iterate, because it seems to be the most common miscon ception:

You CAN play as the monster in a party, you just cannot do so in regular matchmaking - Taking a party of 5 people and using the 'custom game' option let's you have 4 hunters and a monster all together.

I don't have solid facts WHY this is, but I suspect it's because regular matchmaking has leaderboards for both hunter teams, and monsters, and therefore people could try and game it to hit the top. There is also no EXP difference between a custom game and a matchmaking game, so the suspicions of exploiting is false.

Oh, that's really good news! I thought XP was disabled in that case.

VarXX
Oct 31, 2009
Yeah you can grind everything in solo if you really want to

Kewpuh
Oct 22, 2003

when i dip you dip we dip

Larry Parrish posted:

actually the fact that devs post here is pretty cool

Laterbase
May 18, 2011

Senethro posted:

this is getting kind of mean spirited

Truly, man is the real monster.

a cock shaped fruit
Aug 23, 2010

The true enemy of humanity is disorder.
At the risk of sounding like a fanboy or some other negative title bestowed on people who effort post, I offer this:

There are 2 factors at work with Evolve and it's immensely negative consumer response. There are the Developers, Turtle Rock Studios, and the publisher, 2K games. When trying to explain to a friend why people are so upset about Evolve, I ended up using a term I had never said before: Aggressive Monetization. 2K has pushed the selling potentional so far up peoples noses and asses that people don't really need to see any gameplay examples before they accept in their own opinion that the game loving sucks. I personally think Turtle Rock Studios have made a pretty cool game - It isn't changing lives or curing cancer, but it's pretty different as a base concept, borrowing heavily from what they did in Left4Dead and delivering something familiar, but richly different. It was slated for release last year, with something like 8 hunters and 2 monsters, and that would have been utter rear end at a regular price tag.

Now in it's pre-release marketing haze, the game get's poo poo on because it has like, 5 versions of the game, and a crazy variety of stupid DLC options. Then you open the store and there are tons of cosmetic things. I reacted the same way when I saw the store in Portal 2 - I laughed and thought "Who thought someone would buy the base product, then want to spend more release day cash on inconsequential poo poo" and moved on. I said before, to your average consumer it feels really lovely because you pay bucks to play, then it asks for more bucks. But at it's core, I still think the product - the actual GAME of Evolve is p.cool. But even then I have trouble recommending it to people because it asks a lot. I have had feedback like "The game looks greedy." I can't dispute that. It loving does. I bought a super base copy of the game, and have no plans to pre-purchase DLC - Hell, I might only get it when it's on steam. But it doesn't change the fact - 2K has put the game through the ringer, cash wise.

I guess a basic closing statement is that Evolve is a pretty good GAME. It's fun to play, great with friends, it isn't revolutionary but it's different in enough ways that you'll probably have a good time. However, Evolve is a loving terrible PRODUCT, with a high price of admission and a bunch of superfluous cost-based poo poo that will sour your experience with it.

VarXX posted:

Evolve needs this

And this is loving amazing. I am so happy it's real. Call of Duty: Tokes

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
^ good post

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Brackhar posted:

It's the rule changes I think. I miss the old ruleset where that type of stuff was banned/probated very quickly; it's definitely made this forum less useful to me as a developer.

People pointing out a game is poorly designed makes the forum less useful as a developer how?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Brackhar posted:

Hah. Actually the reason I posted here as a LoL dev was specifically because everyone here would tell me poo poo was poo poo, as opposed to white-knighting the game.

Oh, that's really good news! I thought XP was disabled in that case.

You seem to get XP even in single player, which is a good thing IMO.

Yeah not being able to matchmake as the monster + players is understandable but also really loving annoying. Custom games mostly resolve that though.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Larry Parrish posted:

Does anyone here remember StarDrive? Boy, that thread was a good time for all.

VarXX posted:

Spore got bad reviews because it was really bad and not at all what was advertised and bf4 launch the game was completely broken people weren't putting negative reviews because of skins though. I'm not saying these aren't legitimate reviews I'm saying that all of the reviews that say Pre Release are from people who don't have not played the launch version of the game and that a lot of things changed from the alpha so the reviews talking about those things may not be from the final version of the game and should be looked at accordingly.

OK. Horse Armor from Oblivion. Super Monday Night Combat 2 (all of it). Diablo 3's Real Money Auction House. Destiny (all of it). It doesn't matter that Spore was a positively meh game - it got a one-star rating on Amazon on the weight of its DRM alone. It doesn't matter that (maybe) Battlefield 4 was an OK game - the publisher released it in a horribly buggy state in order to start making their money. It doesn't matter than Diablo 3 is (now) the purest form of Loot Simulator - Error 34 and the Real Money Auction House were enough for people.

The bad reviews of Evolve are a lot of shitposts, yeah, but there's a kernel of people in there who are using it as a way to warn people away from paying full price for a game that's incomplete and intends to nickel and dime you for it to be complete. What other way do they have to tell people that when most of the review sites out there feel like they're in cahoots with 2K's marketing department? They're not really experiencing the whole DLC scam since 2K is more than happy to provide them with copies of the game, free of charge.

If you like the game and think it's fun, that's great. It can still be a fun game and a lovely exemplar of capitalism. 'Defending its honor' just makes you look like a moron though. The best way to enjoy the game (and the thread) is to just post about your experiences and ask people questions about strategies. This seems really hard for people to understand though, so as long as people are acting like morons I'm going to have fun playing the forums.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

LuiCypher posted:

The bad reviews of Evolve are a lot of shitposts, yeah, but there's a kernel of people in there who are using it as a way to warn people away from paying full price for a game that's incomplete and intends to nickel and dime you for it to be complete. What other way do they have to tell people that when most of the review sites out there feel like they're in cahoots with 2K's marketing department?

If you like the game and think it's fun, that's great. 'Defending its honor' just makes you look like a moron though. The best way to enjoy the game (and the thread) is to just post about your experiences and ask people questions about strategies. This seems really hard for people to understand though, so as long as people are acting like morons I'm going to have fun playing the forums.

I don't see how Destiny, who's offering DLC in the form of new areas, missions, and a decent amount of content off the bat, rather than Evolve who's got a poo poo-ton of DLC right off the bat but may be lacking in content?

Tim Pawlenty
Jun 3, 2006

Lblitzer posted:

I don't see how Destiny, who's offering DLC in the form of new areas, missions, and a decent amount of content off the bat, rather than Evolve who's got a poo poo-ton of DLC right off the bat but may be lacking in content?

I wouldn't cast that pile called Destiny in a favorable light on that front. It's the quintessential 'content cut for DLC money' game. At least with Evolve it's cosmetic crap and extra characters that aren't even made yet. As is Evolve is fine if you get it for cheap, whether or not it lasts through the next few months re: playerbase is going to determine if it's worth it.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Lblitzer posted:

Did you see the Polygon review for Destiny? Granted, Destiny is more of a case of hype and expectations not matching the end product, but still - it got negative reviews at launch because people wanted to warn people away from a game that was not going to be Super-Duper Halo 64 (not like it ever could be, though) and was kind broken out of the gate. Now I'm certain the game is in a much better state than it was at launch, but the point still stands.

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
I like to look at what dumb "artwork" people upload to the Steam Community for the idiot games I play. I don't know why people do the things they do or why, I just observe.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

LuiCypher posted:

OK. Horse Armor from Oblivion. Super Monday Night Combat 2 (all of it). Diablo 3's Real Money Auction House. Destiny (all of it). It doesn't matter that Spore was a positively meh game - it got a one-star rating on Amazon on the weight of its DRM alone. It doesn't matter that (maybe) Battlefield 4 was an OK game - the publisher released it in a horribly buggy state in order to start making their money. It doesn't matter than Diablo 3 is (now) the purest form of Loot Simulator - Error 34 and the Real Money Auction House were enough for people.

Diablo 3 was really bad and so was Super Monday Night Combat. Which is sad because Diablo 2 and Monday Night Combat are both very good. You keep naming bad games people called bad.

Tim Pawlenty
Jun 3, 2006

GenericOverusedName posted:

I like to look at what dumb "artwork" people upload to the Steam Community for the idiot games I play. I don't know why people do the things they do or why, I just observe.

This is beautiful actually.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Groovelord Neato posted:

People pointing out a game is poorly designed makes the forum less useful as a developer how?

I read every page of this thread out of boredom and next to nobody was doing this. It was all a bunch of whining about the lovely DLC model, with some people saying the game lacked content. Nobody really went into much detail though.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Internet Kraken posted:

I read every page of this thread out of boredom and next to nobody was doing this. It was all a bunch of whining about the lovely DLC model, with some people saying the game lacked content. Nobody really went into much detail though.

Also very astute observations that this game is AIDSy and For Fags. Why can't you babies take this reasonable criticism?!?

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

AndrewP posted:

Also very astute observations that this game is AIDSy and For Fags. Why can't you babies take this reasonable criticism?!?

this but unironically

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

LuiCypher posted:

The bad reviews of Evolve are a lot of shitposts, yeah, but there's a kernel of people in there who are using it as a way to warn people away from paying full price for a game that's incomplete and intends to nickel and dime you for it to be complete. What other way do they have to tell people that when most of the review sites out there feel like they're in cahoots with 2K's marketing department? They're not really experiencing the whole DLC scam since 2K is more than happy to provide them with copies of the game, free of charge.

If you like the game and think it's fun, that's great. It can still be a fun game and a lovely exemplar of capitalism. 'Defending its honor' just makes you look like a moron though. The best way to enjoy the game (and the thread) is to just post about your experiences and ask people questions about strategies. This seems really hard for people to understand though, so as long as people are acting like morons I'm going to have fun playing the forums.

You can't lump all DLC in together like that, though. There's so many different ways to handle DLC. Look at OVERKILL and Payday2, they handle that poo poo RIGHT. Everybody can play new DLC without owning it, so that there's no split community and there's no "well my buddies aren't buying this DLC, why should I buy it if I never play it?" They've had consistent DLC adding lots of content, and its all been fairly priced. And that's how the gameplay DLC in evolve works; you can buy new characters but you can always play with your friends who don't own the DLC. People who don't own a certain trapper can still have that DLC trapper on their party, and enjoy some of the unique gameplay it adds to the mix.

The thing about the cosmetic DLC in Evolve is the idea is that it subsidizes free content for everybody. Cosmetic DLC doesn't effect anybody by not having it, but it can be added to the game very easily and you can "overprice" it. Then you take that money from the rich customers and you use it to fund development of maps which you release for free to everybody. The reason this is better than adding maps and charging "a fair price" for those maps is it splits the community. Look at Halo or Call of Duty or Battlefield, the DLC maps are usually the least played maps because you can't guarantee everybody has those. Its not like nobody ever plays them, but the stock maps usually have way more people available to matchmake with at any given moment. Trying to get around that by charging for cosmetics and releasing maps for free is A Good Idea, actually.

The problem here is the publisher, 2K. They're marketing and communicating the DLC really, really poorly. On top of that, they have game versions ranging from $60 to $100, and that is going to put off people, knowing there's still more DLC to be bought. Instead they should have just sold a $60 box and released DLC later, then people wouldn't complain so much even though they'd be in literally the same situation. Its just bad marketing. Or better yet, sell the game for like $30 since you know you're going to make out on DLC later. And then you can have the "ultimate include everything" version be like $60, which feels fair.
It does seem like 2K got a little greedy here and that's naturally going to turn off customers.

But the business model of "overcharging" for cosmetics isn't really such a terrible idea on the face of it.

Those other DLCs you listed were mostly terrible for other reasons. Horse DLC didn't subsidize anything and if Evolve ends up charging money for maps, then that's bullshit and changes everything.

Diablo 3's RMAH was awful because it completely broke the balance of the game, that's completely separate from cosmetic-only DLC.

Lblitzer posted:

Destiny is totally hosed so its a bad comparison. The game was released with a frankly abysmally tiny amount of content, and asked customers to simply re-play the same 10 levels over and over and over and over ad nauseum, until DLC came out. (Which was still pretty loving small for how much it cost, there's barely any new areas other than the new Strike and Raid. And one loving strike and one loving raid isn't worth $20)

Have you played Destiny? I mean really describing the DLC as "new areas and missions" is pretty misleading.

If Evolve was released with only the Beta content (Hunt mode only) and then they tried to sell us Campaign in chunks of $20 for each 3 maps later on, that'd be like Destiny.

Evolve on the other hand feels like the $60 $45 box actually gets you $60 $45 worth of content, at least to me.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Feb 12, 2015

screech on the beach
Mar 9, 2004
Please stop bringing up Destiny. I was very excited for that game and was so let down by it I'm getting triggered.

WetSpink
Jun 13, 2010
wtf I bought this game since this thread was always on the first page, and then I read it... :suicide:

thanks guys

:negative:

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

WetSpink posted:

wtf I bought this game since this thread was always on the first page, and then I read it... :suicide:

thanks guys

:negative:

What the hell? Every thread for a game that was just released sticks to the front page for a while.

Literally every game is worth buying guys!

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum
Game good, thread bad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

LoG posted:

Please stop bringing up Destiny. I was very excited for that game and was so let down by it I'm getting triggered.

my friend was really hyped for destiny until i told him it required xbox live which he never pays for. he picked up a free month last week and rented the game. he couldn't understand how there was so little content after all the hype and we had a nice conversation about marketing budgets in games today

• Locked thread