Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.
Wow a shuttle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

It'll be great when they do a shuttle event week again in two years.

AfroSquirrel
Sep 3, 2011

Need to pad out the sales and metrics and stuff before the event ends.

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

AKA: Orthonormal

Berke Negri posted:

It'll be great when they do a shuttle event week again in two years.

They've got a shuttle event on the calender for Feb 19th.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

Asimo posted:

The more baffling thing is how "exploration missions" are winning by a commanding lead. While no sane individual willingly played them before or is looking forward to whatever half-assed procedurally-generated crap Cryptic pisses out.

The only thing I can think of (beyond the usual incompetence and autism of the playerbase) is the usual nerd problem of getting this dream of some feature (explore infinite exciting worlds!!) that has no relation to how said feature would ever work in reality. But even then there's the prefect counter example in recent memory... :psyduck:

Perhaps it isn't the players, but pwe and cryptic employees.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

AfroSquirrel posted:

Need to pad out the sales and metrics and stuff before the event ends.
Pretty much. I won't mock them for it, since there's really no downside to the offer. But dropping a huge ship pack, a zen sale, and a free bonus all at once is a bit... surprising.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

The starter pack is actually a pretty good move, in that it is a ~free~ throw in if youre already buying zen. Stuff like that is better than "here's nine new ships, buy them all at once or buy them separately for three times more"

PWE seems to have a real issue with not getting that they dont have a whale problem, they have a concurrent user base problem. They should be moving to double their concurrent user base while dropping pre existing costs to make up for level cap increases. The whales aren't the cstore useres, they're the ones buying lock box ships for $250 dollars of gambling.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Well, it's the usual problem. Ultimately the whales are just a percentage of the total population... the more people you have playing, the more big spenders you'll acquire. And even "normal" players often throw in some money now and then, even if it's just a few bucks for a starter pack, or a single ship, or what have you. But when you stop growing the playerbase the money's going to drop too... if nothing else, because the people willing to spend hundreds gambling will be less willing when there's nobody around to see it, or no queues to use it in.

In the long run it will probably be alright financially... Neverwinter is full of tiny inventory space you have to spend a lot to increase to manage the pointlessly numerous component drops, randomized cash sink grinds, and all that other kMMO bullshit and seems to be doing well enough. But it could have been a lot bigger, and STO's pretty much hit its peak unless there's some big changes soon.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

Goat Pillager posted:

Case in point, nobody wants you here :frogout:

Actually...on second thought, you could earn your place by working your way up through the Dental Academy!

Once you pay a 10 million EC security deposite and submit your resume I'll be happy to invite you in to start your re-education.

Nobody actually gives a poo poo since he's sponsored, calm down.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
lol

Celoth
Jun 21, 2014

Technically, Tribbles can't say No.

Psycho Landlord posted:

Nobody actually gives a poo poo since he's sponsored, calm down.

lol I still don't understand how much of this is hazing, how much of this is legit, and how much of is just generally giving me poo poo. I'm just here to talk about STO :p

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

Celoth posted:

lol I still don't understand how much of this is hazing, how much of this is legit, and how much of is just generally giving me poo poo. I'm just here to talk about STO :p

You're awful, truly awful at posting.

But it isn't like EVE so I don't think there's hard fast rules on this. And you're rec'd, I guess.

But christ your posting is awful.

Korgan
Feb 14, 2012

Talk about STO in here all you want, you passed the first test. Second test is gonna be a little more intimate though, we take our lovely dying MMOs seriously round these parts.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

In the end this thread is a suicide pact.

We're all in it to the end.

Year from now we're going to have 36 new ships that cost $30 a piece.

And we'll still be running the Winter event race course.

edit:

If you ask why, its because three days ago I witnessed a person slow RP walk in the start of BHE. And then I dropped a disco ball, and he got mad. That's why.

Berke Negri fucked around with this message at 08:19 on Feb 13, 2015

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President
Trip report: The command cruisers are garbage, holy poo poo, save your zen.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

What if I like torpedos? Please, someone post that dipshit alien picture of where they go "no, that is my playstyle. I am a tank."

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

Preechr posted:

How so?

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Oh? They didn't look that bad. I mean, a drat sight better than a Gal-X or something.

Edit: do they even come with a bridge?

Asimo fucked around with this message at 08:47 on Feb 13, 2015

Preechr
May 19, 2009

They do not. They handle like poo poo. The command boff abilities are horrible lovely pubbie traps. The inspiration mechanic must require a team to activate within a reasonable timeframe, because an entire Argala run with maximum skill spam was not enough to enable the innate command abilities. The tac version is mediocre at best and has no place in the current meta. The engi version is a laughably bad pubbie shitbucket for omgt0nk!!!11. The sci version is what you'd expect a sci-oriented cruiser 2 years ago to be: meaningless.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

quote:

The tac version is mediocre at best and has no place in the current meta.

I ask sincerely; define the current meta.

quote:

The inspiration mechanic must require a team to activate within a reasonable timeframe, because an entire Argala run with maximum skill spam was not enough to enable the innate command abilities.

Well, that explains it more than anything else. If you can't hope to use the thing it's built around, then what's the point? And for this you've lost the most useful Cruiser Command(The weapon power one).

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

So... scim-like inertia despite the eight turn? :toot:

Also what the gently caress is the pubbie obsession with tanking in space, christ.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Asimo posted:

Also what the gently caress is the pubbie obsession with tanking in space, christ.

Some people get their jollies from doing 10 million damage, maybe in a single glorious shot.

Others get it from taking 10 million damage, maybe even in a single shot, and laughing it off.

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Bloodly posted:

I ask sincerely; define the current meta.

Well, that explains it more than anything else. If you can't hope to use the thing it's built around, then what's the point? And for this you've lost the most useful Cruiser Command(The weapon power one).

The current meta requires either absurdly high impulse damage (for certain limited functions, such as PVP), a massive sustained DPS for elite STF content or speed run e-peen waving, or brutal damage-resistance debuffing. Healing and tanking have no place in the high-hull enemy dynamic. The only things dangerous to a competently-built and -flown ship are instakill bullshit that no amount of tank can withstand regardless.

Full Metal Boxers
Feb 20, 2007

COME LITTLE BITCOIN.... COME MY WAY.....IN THE MID NIGHT HOUR... I YELL NO NO NO... WITH A REBEL YELL I YELL MORE MORE MORE.... BIT COIN... I WANT TO FUCK YOU
Is requesting wiki/Next Gooneration access still a thing? If that's still a thing, I'm requesting that thing. I just registered a wiki account, same as this name but lowercase and without the spaces.

I played this for like... a month, back before the game was good. One of the roomies and I are bored and decided to re-download the client, largely because of this thread!

Korgan
Feb 14, 2012

Full Metal Boxers posted:

Is requesting wiki/Next Gooneration access still a thing? If that's still a thing, I'm requesting that thing. I just registered a wiki account, same as this name but lowercase and without the spaces.

I played this for like... a month, back before the game was good. One of the roomies and I are bored and decided to re-download the client, largely because of this thread!

Yeah it's still a thing, you're on the wiki now. What's your @handle, I'll get you channel access too.

Full Metal Boxers
Feb 20, 2007

COME LITTLE BITCOIN.... COME MY WAY.....IN THE MID NIGHT HOUR... I YELL NO NO NO... WITH A REBEL YELL I YELL MORE MORE MORE.... BIT COIN... I WANT TO FUCK YOU

Korgan posted:

Yeah it's still a thing, you're on the wiki now. What's your @handle, I'll get you channel access too.

I seriously do not even remember :ohdear: It might have been @outcry27? I'm still redownloading the client, sorry.

ed. also thanks for wiki.

Korgan
Feb 14, 2012

I seriously do not even remember :ohdear: It might have been @outcry27? I'm still redownloading the client, sorry.

ed. also thanks for wiki.

All good, let me know when you're done and I'll sort you out. :)

Full Metal Boxers
Feb 20, 2007

Korgan posted:

All good, let me know when you're done and I'll sort you out. :)

It's probably gonna be a while, but thanks :)

Full Metal Boxers
Feb 20, 2007

Did they do a wipe, or something? I logged in to my old account, but I don't see any of my old characters.

So I guess I'm on a new account? If anyone sees this, send an invitation to the chatroom to @fullmetalboxers, please and thankya.

Full Metal Boxers fucked around with this message at 13:11 on Feb 13, 2015

Goat Pillager
Mar 1, 2013

Celoth posted:

I'm just giving you a trial by fire. Though you can still join the Academy as an instructor if you want to, the job description is somewhere between medieval inquisitor and sadistic drill sergeant.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

quote:

or brutal damage-resistance debuffing

Just how much damage resistance debuffing is possible now? I mean, Disruptor damage has it's chance-based proc, I suppose slowing a ship would help, and Attack Pattern Beta inflicts a strong debuff(Which is what makes the Recluse still a solid ship even now, since it can throw out multiple copies of the debuff), but is that all that's possible?

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Bloodly posted:

Just how much damage resistance debuffing is possible now? I mean, Disruptor damage has it's chance-based proc, I suppose slowing a ship would help, and Attack Pattern Beta inflicts a strong debuff(Which is what makes the Recluse still a solid ship even now, since it can throw out multiple copies of the debuff), but is that all that's possible?

I forget the name... is it Ionic Turbulence? From the intel BoFF powers, it pretty much AOE fucks over everything defense wise because they're nigh-immobile.

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Bloodly posted:

Ideally, you want to bring a target to -200 all resists and 0 or negative defense.

VVV: if you only want to save for one, get the Faeht. The Delta pack, while expensive, has an excellent suite of boffs and a good doff.

Preechr fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Feb 13, 2015

McScumbag
Jun 30, 2012
FRONT LINE SOLDIER IN THE FIGHT FOR MEN'S RIGHTS

reddit 4 eva
So right now I am saving Dilithium up. Have enough to buy 2500 zen. Should I spend all of my Cryptic Funbucks on a Faeht Intel warbird, or the romulan command ship?

I currently have a Galor a2b ship with 7 pissbeams and a borg cutter, and all the proper consoles. Looking for something new because other than upgrading everything to MkXIV/Gold, I have nothing else to spend my dilithium on at this point.

Whichever ship I get, Im wanting to run a beam array build, mostly because Im too lazy to go grind even more dilithium in order to get cannons.

Celoth
Jun 21, 2014

Preechr posted:

How important do you think the tac trait will be (All Hands On Deck)? Is it worth grabbing the tac ship just for the trait?

g0del
Jan 9, 2001

Fun Shoe

I played this for like... a month, back before the game was good.
Wait a minute. When was this game good?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

g0del posted:

Wait a minute. When was this game good?

It was okay for a brief period sometime between the Voth patch and the release of Delta Rising. Or if not okay, heading in the right direction.

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Celoth posted:

How important do you think the tac trait will be (All Hands On Deck)? Is it worth grabbing the tac ship just for the trait?

poo poo no. Oh boy, faster recharge on my science abilities! If you plan on slapping the trait on some science-heavy build, keep in mind that you need to be using it on a ship that has a significant number of tactical boff ability slots as well or you're not going to get much benefit. Except for edge cases, science abilities don't matter enough that you should spend $30 for a trait that will make them recharge faster.

Celoth
Jun 21, 2014

Preechr posted:

poo poo no. Oh boy, faster recharge on my science abilities! If you plan on slapping the trait on some science-heavy build, keep in mind that you need to be using it on a ship that has a significant number of tactical boff ability slots as well or you're not going to get much benefit. Except for edge cases, science abilities don't matter enough that you should spend $30 for a trait that will make them recharge faster.

I was kinda tempted to grab it for the trait to slap on my Hazari sci-scort, but I think you've talked me out of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dootman
Jun 15, 2000

fishbulb

Preechr posted:

It also reduces the recharge time on captain abilities like attack pattern alpha.

• Locked thread