Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Reivax posted:

I've seen the term Tactical Realism thrown about on the forums, but have never seen an actual definition, either here or on the internet at large.
What the earlier guy said is the heart of it. The name probably comes from the fact that 99.5% of anything involving guns in movies, TV shows, and video games is totally unrealistic. Well, more generally it's probably anything technical enough that a writer wouldn't know a lot about it, but a ton of people in the US are familiar with how firearms work in real life so it's an easy target (versus medicine, chemistry, physics, etc). I'm guessing these are also the same type of people who violently reject the concepts of allegories or really any deeper meaning in a film other than the most straight-forward surface reading.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

david_a posted:

What the earlier guy said is the heart of it. The name probably comes from the fact that 99.5% of anything involving guns in movies, TV shows, and video games is totally unrealistic. Well, more generally it's probably anything technical enough that a writer wouldn't know a lot about it, but a ton of people in the US are familiar with how firearms work in real life so it's an easy target (versus medicine, chemistry, physics, etc). I'm guessing these are also the same type of people who violently reject the concepts of allegories or really any deeper meaning in a film other than the most straight-forward surface reading.

Well that's a worst case example. For some people, things that are "tactically unrealistic" are immersion breaking. Lots of things can be immersion breaking, depending on what the writers care about getting right. It's just the gun nut equivalent of how doctors feel during hospital scenes or lawyers feel during courtroom scenes. Also, unlike learning the actual protocols of the ER or going to law school, most tactical realism errors could be prevented with 20 minutes on google. Almost more important is how the portrayal of firearms in fictional media influences public opinion. Lack of tactical realism is why people are always asking "why don't police just shoot them in the leg" "why didn't they just shoot out the tires".

But yeah, on the internet it's easy to find people who sperg about tactical realism and totally disregard the actual qualities of a movie/series.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
Yo, folks, I just saw Selma a couple days ago, and I'm trying to remember all the actors in one of my favorite scenes from it: It's when the SCLC and SNCC guys are all back at Richie Jean Jackson's house, and there's this great moment where they all take turns going step-by-step down the ladder of how dangerous and difficult it is to vote if you're Black in Alabama. Of course, Oyelowo is in there as King, and I'm fairly certain Common as James Bevel and Wendell Pierce as Hosea Williams are there, but for the life of me I can't remember which other actors specifically are in the scene. Can anybody else help me out?

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

The guy who played Captain Montgomery on Castle is one of the actors involved in that scene.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

Klungar posted:

The guy who played Captain Montgomery on Castle is one of the actors involved in that scene.

Thanks, mate. I'm pretty sure Colman Domingo is also in it, and also one of the younger male supporting cast, though I don't remember if it was Andre Holland or Stephan James.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Does anyone know how many times James Bond fakes his death? I'm going through the series now, after not watching them for a long while and so far it's come up once in You Only Live Twice, and i know it happens in Skyfall.

User-Friendly
Apr 27, 2008

Is There a God? (Pt. 9)

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

Does anyone know how many times James Bond fakes his death? I'm going through the series now, after not watching them for a long while and so far it's come up once in You Only Live Twice, and i know it happens in Skyfall.

He sort of does it briefly in Die Another Day? I think that's it though.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

I'm not sure Skyfall even counts. He didn't fake his death so much as almost die and then decide not to tell anybody he lived.

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Tactical realism is like those Everything Wrong With [movie] videos but not joking. They're the kind of people who view movies as challenges to be beat, and if you beat it then you can be like "yeah this movie sucks and I don't care about it because [list of niggling details]" and then you "win" the movie, or something. It's lovely surface-level analysis.

Is there further discussion on this topic to be had anywhere? I have been looking for some kind of article or resource that goes over "here is what deeper-level analysis of films actually is" so that I can feel better prepared when I run into idiot acquaintances that start blathering on about how THEY PERSONALLY would handle the zombie apocalypse and therefore that is why XYZ is a failure!

I am glad to see that others are struggling with the sheer amount of Tactical Realism Reviewers that are out there. The internet and YouTube especially are just chock full of loud shallow analyses of anything and everything and it pains me. I was actually getting to the point where I was wondering "am I reviewing movies wrong? Is this what reviewing movies actually is?" You know the sad thing is that we live in a world of data mining, and the droves of Tactical Realism discussions on various comment streams, Facebook, and other outlets may actually begin to drive the direction of future films.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
Honestly, like, the first step is just getting someone to disassociate from the idea that either the protagonist is an avatar of the viewer or the film is in favor of itself, if that makes sense. Half the issue is people treating movies like failed VR simulators and being disappointed that they don't have any input. Like, no, you don't have influence over the production of the film but that doesn't mean you can't have a dialogue with the finished product. Once you get to the point of asking yourself why a film is doing something rather than being simply annoyed that it's not doing what you want it to do, then you're on a pretty good road.

Siets posted:

You know the sad thing is that we live in a world of data mining, and the droves of Tactical Realism discussions on various comment streams, Facebook, and other outlets may actually begin to drive the direction of future films.

oh dear god

Bolek
May 1, 2003

Didn't that insufferable man who writes his film criticism in all caps without articles as the Hulk write like 3 books on this topic?

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Bolek posted:

Didn't that insufferable man who writes his film criticism in all caps without articles as the Hulk write like 3 books on this topic?
He wrote an article on plot holes which is very similar to the topic in question. I don't know if he's insufferable - I like his stuff - but I do find the allcaps thing extremely trying.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Siets posted:

You know the sad thing is that we live in a world of data mining, and the droves of Tactical Realism discussions on various comment streams, Facebook, and other outlets may actually begin to drive the direction of future films.

Won't happen because they also know the demographics and know that those people show up to films anyway.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
Tactical realism is somebody saying that drumming isn't how it's portrayed in Whiplash without thinking at all how it makes one feel.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

therattle posted:

Tactical realism is somebody saying that drumming isn't how it's portrayed in Whiplash without thinking at all how it makes one feel.

I mentioned it in the thread for that movie. But seeing an article that's basically 'Musician reviews Whiplash' just makes me tune out. Because I don't care. I know it's not going to be 'realistic'.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
I actually enjoyed the Whiplash correctives. The ones I read at least had a sense of perspective about the movie, and it was interesting to read where it broke from reality. Workplace complaints always seem a little more understandable, anyway — even if it's kind of missing the forest, people get invested in what they do, and it makes more sense to have an emotional block about that than stuff like character logic or "plot holes."

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Reality is uncinematic.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

morestuff posted:

I actually enjoyed the Whiplash correctives. The ones I read at least had a sense of perspective about the movie, and it was interesting to read where it broke from reality. Workplace complaints always seem a little more understandable, anyway — even if it's kind of missing the forest, people get invested in what they do, and it makes more sense to have an emotional block about that than stuff like character logic or "plot holes."

Yeah, I feel the same way. I like learning stuff I didn't know before, even if it's posed in a snotty way. poo poo about plot holes is just whatever, leave that poo poo wherever you find it.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!

Disharmony posted:

How exactly is The Guest a John Carpenter homage?
The director or writer, I can't remember which, said he came up with the idea after watching Halloween and Terminator in the same night.

regulargonzalez posted:

Great is debatable, but he was certainly a very good actor at one point. Edward Scissorhands, What's Eating Gilbert Grape, Donnie Brasco, and (above all) Ed Wood are a testament to that. He just seems to always play the same type of gothy or silly-wacky character nowadays.
Depp is basically the go-to guy when your protagonist is weird and quirky so your lead needs to be a "character actor," and that's a testament to his talent. After the Pirates franchise, people got the idea that he could carry basically anything. It's unfortunate, but still impressive, that the culmination of this is somebody thinking that Mortdecai not only deserved to get made but could actually become a huge franchise.

FreudianSlippers posted:

The "handheld" shake might all be added in post or possibly they're using some sort of motorized rig where the shake is pre-programmed which allows them to film the scene dozens of times with the exact same shakes.
One thing that earns special loathing from wrestling fans nowadays is that WWE's production has decided they need to add shakeycam in realtime when someone hits a high-impact move. How do they do that? Is it as simple as a cameraman making his hand tremble?

david_a posted:

For me it's usually aesthetic. For example, it was kind of eye-opening when I read a retrospective on Bruce Lee's Hong Kong films, and it was pointed out that a lot of his co-stars were practicing a kind of lazy, simple long-hand "swingy-arm" kung fu that was common in movies at that time.

TychoCelchuuu posted:

He wrote an article on plot holes which is very similar to the topic in question. I don't know if he's insufferable - I like his stuff - but I do find the allcaps thing extremely trying.
I enjoy reading Film Critic Hulk reviews after running them through CorrectCase. Except that thing he did on GamerGate, it was just long and rambling and boring and not particularly insightful.

Edit: VVV That's probably because, by his own admission, he gets 2-4 hours of sleep per night and blogging about film is the last thing he does before going to bed.

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Feb 17, 2015

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
In addition to the all caps thing, Film Crit Hulk's columns tend to read like a first draft.

Dr Monkeysee
Oct 11, 2002

just a fox like a hundred thousand others
Nap Ghost
Film Crit Hulk seems like a decent writer trapped in a gimmick that wore out its welcome ages ago.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

FreudianSlippers posted:

Reality is uncinematic.

And I wouldn't argue, but reality can be interesting in its own right.

krampster2
Jun 26, 2014

Can anyone tell me what this is from? I remember watching this really conceptual and weird film in High School film class and finding it quite intriguing.

http://webmup.com/3el2i/
Sorry there's no sound.

Lamanda
Apr 18, 2003

krampster2 posted:

Can anyone tell me what this is from? I remember watching this really conceptual and weird film in High School film class and finding it quite intriguing.

Sorry there's no sound.

Performance artist and sculptor Olivier de Sagazan. Some pretty neat stuff.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

Dr Monkeysee posted:

Film Crit Hulk seems like a decent writer trapped in a gimmick that wore out its welcome ages ago.

His piece on Do the Right Thing last year was excellent, but I struggled to take it seriously knowing that it was written by an anonymous man who pretends to be a comic book character on the internet. I think I heard somewhere that he works in the industry and wants to keep his name unknown, but even then just use a better pseudonym that makes people think you're an adult.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

krampster2 posted:

Sorry there's no sound.

Lamanda posted:

Performance artist and sculptor Olivier de Sagazan. Some pretty neat stuff.

It might be from Samsara (2011).

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

TrixRabbi posted:

His piece on Do the Right Thing last year was excellent, but I struggled to take it seriously knowing that it was written by an anonymous man who pretends to be a comic book character on the internet. I think I heard somewhere that he works in the industry and wants to keep his name unknown, but even then just use a better pseudonym that makes people think you're an adult.

I believe that he's actually a screenwriter and the gimmick just started on Twitter, and then a blog when people were interested in what he was doing, and then onto Badass Digest.

His book on Bond is actually pretty great. And I liked his pieces on plot holes as well. It's a shame people dismiss the gimmick when the writing is strong. I get why it happens though.

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!

TrixRabbi posted:

Yes, it definitely is, about 50 minutes in iirc (I just watched it last week :shobon:)

Unmature
May 9, 2008

Dr Monkeysee posted:

Yeah, I haven't read his stuff in a couple years because I just can't stand the gimmick. Reading in all caps is ever fun, no matter what the personis saying.

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Unmature posted:

Yeah, I haven't read his stuff in a couple years because I just can't stand the gimmick. Reading in all caps is ever fun, no matter what the personis saying.

For what it's worth, I just read through his "plot-holes" article by copy-pasting the content into a website that converted everything to lowercase. Quick problem solver. It is definitely also worth reading and answers pretty much every stupid thing any defender of Tactical Realism might throw out at you. Just what I was looking for, thanks thread!

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

I just wish the two most popular internet critics weren't a guy pretending to be a comic book monster and a guy pretending to be a serial killer

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Siets posted:

For what it's worth, I just read through his "plot-holes" article by copy-pasting the content into a website that converted everything to lowercase. Quick problem solver. It is definitely also worth reading and answers pretty much every stupid thing any defender of Tactical Realism might throw out at you. Just what I was looking for, thanks thread!

Now if you can get a website that automatically inserts articles into their proper places, we're in business

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Now if you can get a website that automatically inserts articles into their proper places, we're in business

If I had the know-how and Russian mafia connections, I would totally leverage email attachment viruses and the bot-net to do exactly this to pretty much every YouTube comment stream. I think YouTube commenters singularly broke my faith in humanity.

morestuff posted:

I just wish the two most popular internet critics weren't a guy pretending to be a comic book monster and a guy pretending to be a serial killer

I think this speaks more to what the problem really is, in that these are the resources people are turning to as authorities on how to talk about and analyze film so it ends up being what they mimic as accepted practice. It sucks. We unfortunately need someone to sell the general public on deeper-level analysis by packaging it in a more entertaining wrapper and making it easier for novice critics to discover.

Siets fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Feb 18, 2015

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

morestuff posted:

Serial Killer gimmick? Haven't seen that guy.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

MacheteZombie posted:

Serial Killer gimmick? Haven't seen that guy.

I think he's referring to Red Letter Media and their Plinkett reviews.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

TrixRabbi posted:

Oh that makes sense.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

TrixRabbi posted:

Yeah.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
What do you call the genre of movies like Airplane, Hotshots, and the Naked Gun ? I'd call them parodies I guess, but is there a name for a comedy that has constant on screen jokes while the plot is played straight faced?

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.

Dr_Amazing posted:

What do you call the genre of movies like Airplane, Hotshots, and the Naked Gun ? I'd call them parodies I guess, but is there a name for a comedy that has constant on screen jokes while the plot is played straight faced?

Spoof

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

krampster2
Jun 26, 2014

TrixRabbi posted:

That's the one. Thanks, I'm gonna watch it again.