Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A TURGID FATSO
Jan 27, 2004

Here's to ya, JACKASS

Optimum Gulps posted:

It's a sarcastic line in an angry song and I don't know why you decided to take it out of context.

"So shut your face and take a seat
cuz after all you're just talking meat
and music...well, it's just entertainment, folks!"

You're thinking of his song Earth Day:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UZF3qmGfDws

It's really god drat good, and I don't like a lot of Devin Townsend's stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Optimum Gulps
Oct 6, 2003

You wanna save this place, right? And I want to destroy it. Brick by hypocritical brick.

Turk February posted:

You're thinking of his song Earth Day:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UZF3qmGfDws

It's really god drat good, and I don't like a lot of Devin Townsend's stuff.

I'm about as familiar with Devin Townsend's work as is possible for someone to be...guess I should have quoted Hammer Floyd to avoid confusion.

Von Sloneker
Jul 6, 2009

as if all this was something more
than another footnote on a postcard from nowhere,
another chapter in the handbook for exercises in futility
http://www.centurymedia.com/newsdetailed.aspx?IdNews=15529&IdCompany=3

quote:

Century Media Records are proud to announce the re-issue of two groundbreaking technical death metal albums by long-running Canadian legend GORGUTS on April 6, 2015 in Europe and April 7, 2015 in North America. Founding member Luc Lemay (vocals/guitar) comments:

"Hi everybody!
It's with excitement that I write these lines to you today, because I'm proud to announce that our 1998 record "Obscura" and 2001's "From Wisdom To Hate" will finally be re-released! We did a lot of touring for our latest record, "Colored Sands", and everyday someone would ask me when "Obscura" would be out again. Well, here we are!!!!

For this re-issue, I decided to include liner notes that tell the story behind each record. How we got together as musicians, what was the composition process that made this sound possible and that made us grow as artists.

You'll also notice that both re-releases bear the new logo. Well, I decided to change the logo because, with a step back, I realized that I never really like the original one on "Obscura" and I wanted to give the record a fresh look. I kept the same logo for "From Wisdom To Hate", because it was created for this record.

Thanks again to all our fans for their unconditional support through all those years...

Format details at the link.

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

wAstIng 10 bUcks ON an aVaTar iS StUpid

I really hate how now labels issue everything in over 5 versions. I know that they need to somehow compensate for downloading but, drat.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
Is there really a lot of demand for Obscura?

Seems a weird thing to re-release.

MMF DOOM
Sep 3, 2007

i  am
the  god  of
hellfire

MrBling posted:

I'll fuckin' buy it again.

Von Sloneker
Jul 6, 2009

as if all this was something more
than another footnote on a postcard from nowhere,
another chapter in the handbook for exercises in futility
It regularly sells on ebay and discogs for around $50. Also it's pretty much synonymous with "out of print/feverishly sought."

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

New stuff from Xibalba . Straight up Entombed worship here and it's awesome!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MsqlhsFKrA0

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

So I went to Barnes and Nobles for the first time in forever and I saw they sell music now. I was expecting Metallica, Zeppelin, maybe Maiden. I was presently surprised, though. They had quite a few obscure bands (for a popular book store chain, at least). I remember seeing Diamond Head, Riot, Banshee, and even Immortal. Dunno if this is because metal is becoming more accepted-ish or what. Ended up buying JP's "Painkiller" and Dio's "Holy Diver". Would have bought more but I was short on cash.

symbolic fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Feb 15, 2015

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

UltraVariant posted:

So I went to Barnes and Nobles for the first time in forever and I saw they sell music now. I was expecting Metallica, Zeppelin, maybe Maiden. I was presently surprised, though. They had quite a few obscure bands (for a popular book store chain, at least). I remember seeing Diamond Head, Riot, Banshee, and even Immortal. Dunno if this is because metal is becoming more accepted-ish or what. Ended up buying JP's "Painkiller" and Dio's "Holy Diver". Would have bought more but I was short on cash.

Barnes and Noble has sold music for longer than I've been listening to music. I bought my first CDs there at age 13.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

UltraVariant posted:

Immortal are on nuclear blast, you can find them basically anywhere. same with most metal blade and century media stuff.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Henchman of Santa posted:

Barnes and Noble has sold music for longer than I've been listening to music. I bought my first CDs there at age 13.

I'm more surprised to hear Barnes & Noble still exists.

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

MrBling posted:

I love you, MrBling

Bulkiest Toaster
Jan 22, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Does anyone know any thrash bands like Death Angel and Havok? Thrash with a strong groove element to it. I have been listening to a lot of Killing Season by Death Angel and I really enjoy it.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

Bulkiest Toaster posted:

Does anyone know any thrash bands like Death Angel and Havok? Thrash with a strong groove element to it. I have been listening to a lot of Killing Season by Death Angel and I really enjoy it.

Nuclear Assault.

A TURGID FATSO
Jan 27, 2004

Here's to ya, JACKASS

MrBling posted:

Nuclear Assault.

I'd go with "Handle With Care" to start with.

Feb 8, 2008
Alestorm was a blast live. gently caress the haters. Went with my black metal obsessed friend and even she had fun without knowing anything about the bands. The venue was packed and it was great to see people from 10 to 50 having such a fun time. Lots of energy and a decent mosh pit. Seeing a few hundred people singing along to a song about a famous 18th century naval battle was one of the many high lights of the night. Whatever people's opinion are on the subject matter and aesthetic of the band are, I thought it was exactly what a metal show should be.

Cervix-A-Lot
Sep 29, 2006
Cheeeeesy
Typical metal heads hate everything.

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!

7734 posted:

Alestorm was a blast live. gently caress the haters. Went with my black metal obsessed friend and even she had fun without knowing anything about the bands. The venue was packed and it was great to see people from 10 to 50 having such a fun time. Lots of energy and a decent mosh pit. Seeing a few hundred people singing along to a song about a famous 18th century naval battle was one of the many high lights of the night. Whatever people's opinion are on the subject matter and aesthetic of the band are, I thought it was exactly what a metal show should be.

you scored a date with het?

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

7734 posted:

I thought it was exactly what a metal show should be.
I disagree, but I'm glad you have fun.

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

A metal show should be 12 people in a basement not talking or making eye contact leaning against the back wall while the band plays.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
A metal show should have a pit with one really huge (read: fat) guy who is there mostly to hurt somebody and ruins it for everyone because they're trying to avoid being crushed during their favorite song.

Shakenbaker
Nov 14, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Henchman of Santa posted:

A metal show should have a pit with one really huge (read: fat) guy who is there mostly to hurt somebody and ruins it for everyone because they're trying to avoid being crushed during their favorite song.

This guy either does this or wear a kilt and he smells so bad that you can still notice even while in the pit.

gently caress that guy.

NarkyBark
Dec 7, 2003

one funky chicken
There's the occasional small wiry guy who is full of energy and really wants to do something so he occasionally pops in and goes a round, still avoiding fat dangerous guy.

Everyone else stands around with arms folded.

Stay Safe
Sep 1, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q_VruXoh13c

Myrkgrav single out. Didn't notice it until now.

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic
It's me I'm the fat guy- I'm not trying to hurt people though, just run around and yell a lot. Sorry if your brittle little bitch self gets in my way.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!
Relevant http://imgur.com/gallery/dH6yI

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Young Metalhead/Thrasher reporting in.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

lol'd at "Hank Hill Jeans"

Iceberg-Slim
Oct 7, 2003

no re okay

"You're just jealous my fav bands actually know how to sing!" - hits super close to home. Also guilty of owning a drinking horn but damnit I needed it as soon as I saw it.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
I'm an amalgamation of the power and folk/viking metallers, who stole the brutal death guy's button-up shirt.

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!
Goddammit. God loving dammit. At least I don't LARP or watch AMVs.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

BrienneGetsHanged posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q_VruXoh13c

Myrkgrav single out. Didn't notice it until now.

Is this Mr. V singing? Because it sounds like Mr. V. Holy gently caress.

IronLawnmower
Aug 28, 2014
So what's the deal with earache have they just given up being a metal label now?

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

Speaking about fat guys at shows... . I was at a show last night and, Jesus, some. Stinky fuckers.

Edited out the the part where I was a bit cunty

Redrum and Coke fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Feb 17, 2015

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
I aspire to be the fat gently caress with the pantera shirt on

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

Nordick posted:

I'm an amalgamation of the power and folk/viking metallers, who stole the brutal death guy's button-up shirt.

Honestly I figured this is most goons.

With a fedora, if course.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

I totally got caught singing Heart of Steel by Manowar today at work while I had my headphones on. It didn't help that I was air drumming in the middle of the office, but whatever.

gently caress that song gets me pumped.

Less Claypool
Apr 16, 2009

More Primus For Fucks Sake.

muike posted:

I aspire to be the fat gently caress with the pantera shirt on

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Easy Mac posted:

Typical metal heads hate everything.
Heavens, music that's overwhelmingly about nihilism or nihilistic escapism has fans who are also musical nihilists