Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Let us English posted:

If I brought my PS4 over would I be able to access PSN without going through a VPN on my router?

It works fine. Download speeds are kinda random between OK-ish speeds and slow beyond imagination, and latency will depend a lot on what you're playing. Some games just connect to global servers no matter what region you're on PSN through, so those will work fine for online play. I get play-able pings to Japan and HK on my PS4.

One caveat is UPlay seems kind of hosed in China without a VPN and sometimes just won't connect, but most of the time will just connect super slowly. Keep this in mind for any Ubisoft games!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cokeysmoke
Nov 6, 2010
I'm going into the mainland for a few days coming up this Friday - Shenzhen for one day, then Guangzhou for two days, one night. Any recommendations that I might miss skimming the standard tourist websites? I'm there to mostly take photos and eat food, if anything.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Cokeysmoke posted:

I'm going into the mainland for a few days coming up this Friday - Shenzhen for one day, then Guangzhou for two days, one night. Any recommendations that I might miss skimming the standard tourist websites? I'm there to mostly take photos and eat food, if anything.

Well, you picked an interesting time to visit.

Cokeysmoke
Nov 6, 2010

fart simpson posted:

Well, you picked an interesting time to visit.

I'll try and survive the train journeys. Maybe i'm being naive but surely the transport won't be that bad right?

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

You should be ok traveling from Shenzhen to Guangzhou on those dates but everything will be closed. And you and I will be 20% of the total population of Shenzhen.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Cokeysmoke posted:

Maybe i'm being naive but surely the transport won't be that bad right?

If forced to choose between the two, I would choose the first one

Cokeysmoke
Nov 6, 2010

fart simpson posted:

You should be ok traveling from Shenzhen to Guangzhou on those dates but everything will be closed. And you and I will be 20% of the total population of Shenzhen.

That works for me, mostly. I'm basically going as I have gently caress all else to do in Hong Kong in the day, besides uni work. Taking a few photos then leaving is fine by me. And I'm going back to Hong Kong on fridayin the evening too - I'm not coming from too far abroad.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Total Eclipse of the Heart
Crowded in China is just another level. Imagining the most crowded thing you've ever seen in the US or Western Europe and 'China crowded' is just several levels worse. Not only will there be more people, but none of them will have the basic etiquette that normally goes along with a super crowded situation. Also Chinese people don't use deodorant, and in winter they sometimes only shower once a week or every or less.

If you'd like to know more about the chinaman (and/or chinawoman, to be PC), just ask

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

systran posted:

Crowded in China is just another level. Imagining the most crowded thing you've ever seen in the US or Western Europe and 'China crowded' is just several levels worse. Not only will there be more people, but none of them will have the basic etiquette that normally goes along with a super crowded situation. Also Chinese people don't use deodorant, and in winter they sometimes only shower once a week or every or less.

If you'd like to know more about the chinaman (and/or chinawoman, to be PC), just ask

It's only northern savages that don't shower.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

and meramjert

Jimmy Little Balls
Aug 23, 2009
My girlfrend only showers every other day, but if I step on the floor without wearing slippers for even a millisecond I get put into quarantine whilst she screams dirty at me.

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Text BEEP to 43527 for the dancing robot!
Pillbug
God forbid you wash socks and underwear at the same time!

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Ceciltron posted:

God forbid you wash socks and underwear at the same time!

Actually this is only a thing in Harbin.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Cokeysmoke posted:

I'll try and survive the train journeys. Maybe i'm being naive but surely the transport won't be that bad right?

donttakethetraindonttakethetraindonttakethetraindonttakethetraindonttakethetraindonttakethetraindonttakethetraindonttakethetraindonttakethetraindonttakethetraindonttakethetraindonttakethetraindonttakethetraindonttakethetraindonttakethetraindonttakethetraindonttakethetraindonttakethetraindonttakethetraindonttakethetraindonttakethetraindonttakethetraindonttakethetraindonttakethetraindonttakethetraindonttakethetraindonttakethetraindonttakethetraindonttakethetraindonttakethetraindonttakethetraindonttakethetraindonttakethetraindonttakethetraindonttakethetraindonttakethetraindonttakethetraindonttakethetraindonttakethetraindonttakethetraindonttakethetraindonttakethetraindonttakethetraindonttakethetraindonttakethetraindonttakethetraindonttakethetraindonttakethetraindonttakethetraindonttakethetraindonttakethetraindonttakethetraindonttakethetraindonttakethetraindonttakethetraindonttakethetraindonttakethetraindonttakethetraindonttakethetraindonttakethetraindonttakethetraindonttakethetraindonttakethetraindonttakethetraindonttakethetraindonttakethetraindonttakethetraindonttakethetraindonttakethetraindonttakethetraindonttakethetraindonttakethetraindonttakethetraindonttakethetraindonttakethetraindonttakethetraindonttakethetraindonttakethetraindonttakethetraindonttakethetraindonttakethetraindonttakethetraindonttakethetraindonttakethetraindonttakethetraindonttakethetraindonttakethetraindonttakethetraindonttakethetraindonttakethetraindonttakethetraindonttakethetraindonttakethetraindonttakethetraindonttakethetraindonttakethetraindonttakethetraindonttakethetraindonttakethetraindonttakethetraindonttakethetraindonttakethetraindonttakethetraindonttakethetraindonttakethetraindonttakethetraindonttakethetraindonttakethetraindonttakethetraindonttakethetraindonttakethetraindonttakethetraindonttakethetraindonttakethetraindonttakethetraindonttakethetraindonttakethetraindonttakethetraindonttakethetraindonttakethetraindonttakethetraindonttakethetraindonttakethetraindonttakethetraindonttakethetraindonttakethetraindonttakethetraindonttakethetraindonttakethetraindonttakethetraindonttakethetraindonttakethetraindonttakethetraindonttakethetraindonttakethetraindonttakethetraindonttakethetraindonttakethetraindonttakethetraindonttakethetraindonttakethetraindonttakethetraindonttakethetraindonttakethetraindonttakethetraindonttakethetraindonttakethetraindonttakethetraindonttakethetraindonttakethetraindonttakethetraindonttakethetraindonttakethetraindonttakethetraindonttakethetraindonttakethetraindonttakethetraindonttakethetraindonttakethetraindonttakethetraindonttakethetraindonttakethetraindonttakethetraindonttakethetraindonttakethetraindonttakethetraindonttakethetraindonttakethetraindonttakethetraindonttakethetraindonttakethetraindonttakethetraindonttakethetraindonttakethetraindonttakethetraindonttakethetraindonttakethetraindonttakethetraindonttakethetraindonttakethetraindonttakethetraindonttakethetraindonttakethetraindonttakethetraindonttakethetraindonttakethetraindonttakethetraindonttakethetraindonttakethetraindonttakethetraindonttakethetraindonttakethetraindonttakethetraindonttakethetraindonttakethetraindonttakethetraindonttakethetraindonttakethetraindonttakethetraindonttakethetraindonttakethetraindonttakethetraindonttakethetraindonttakethetraindonttakethetraindonttakethetraindonttakethetraindonttakethetraindonttakethetraindonttakethetraindonttakethetraindonttakethetraindonttakethetraindonttakethetraindonttakethetraindonttakethetraindonttakethetraindonttakethetraindonttakethetraindonttakethetraindonttakethetraindonttakethetraindonttakethetraindonttakethetraindonttakethetraindonttakethetraindonttakethetraindonttakethetraindonttakethetraindonttakethetraindonttakethetraindonttakethetraindonttakethetraindonttakethetraindonttakethetraindonttakethetraindonttakethetraindonttakethetraindonttakethetraindonttakethetraindonttakethetraindonttakethetraindonttakethetraindonttakethetraindonttakethetraindonttakethetraindonttakethetraindonttakethetraindonttakethetraindonttakethetraindonttakethetraindonttakethetraindonttakethetraindonttakethetraindonttakethetraindonttakethetraindonttakethetraindonttakethetraindonttakethetraindonttakethetraindonttakethetraindonttakethetraindonttakethetraindonttakethetraindonttakethetraindonttakethetraindonttakethetraindonttakethetraindonttakethetraindonttakethetraindonttakethetraindonttakethetraindonttakethetraindonttakethetraindonttakethetraindonttakethetraindonttakethetraindonttakethetraindonttakethetraindonttakethetraindonttakethetraindonttakethetraindonttakethetraindonttakethetraindonttakethetraindonttakethetraindonttakethetraindonttakethetraindonttakethetraindonttakethetraindonttakethetraindonttakethetraindonttakethetraindonttakethetraindonttakethetraindonttakethetraindonttakethetraindonttakethetraindonttakethetraindonttakethetraindonttakethetraindonttakethetraindonttakethetraindonttakethetraindonttakethetraindonttakethetraindonttakethetraindonttakethetraindonttakethetraindonttakethetraindonttakethetraindonttakethetraindonttakethetraindonttakethetraindonttakethetraindonttakethetraindonttakethetraindonttakethetraindonttakethetraindonttakethetraindonttakethetraindonttakethetraindonttakethetraindonttakethetraindonttakethetraindonttakethetraindonttakethetraindonttakethetraindonttakethetraindonttakethetraindonttakethetraindonttakethetraindonttakethetraindonttakethetraindonttakethetraindonttakethetraindonttakethetraindonttakethetraindonttakethetraindonttakethetraindonttakethetraindonttakethetraindonttakethetraindonttakethetraindonttakethetraindonttakethetraindonttakethetraindonttakethetraindonttakethetraindonttakethetraindonttakethetraindonttakethetraindonttakethetraindonttakethetraindonttakethetraindonttakethetraindonttakethetraindonttakethetraindonttakethetraindonttakethetraindonttakethetraindonttakethetraindonttakethetraindonttakethetraindonttakethetraindonttakethetraindonttakethetraindonttakethetraindonttakethetraindonttakethetrain

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Alternatively: take the train.

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Text BEEP to 43527 for the dancing robot!
Pillbug
If you take the train, make sure you are in the class of carriage that does not allow standing room, or get a sleeper that has a door. Anything else and you will have a terrible time.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Don't be a pussy. Get on the train. There will be like, max, 400 million other people on it.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Guys he's only talking about taking a train from Shenzhen to Guangzhou. That's a 1 hour train ride, 30 minutes if you take the high speed. There's no sleeper cars and nothing to worry about midweek in Chinese New Year.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe
He should worry if he has a crippling fear of trains.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Total Eclipse of the Heart

fart simpson posted:

Guys he's only talking about taking a train from Shenzhen to Guangzhou. That's a 1 hour train ride, 30 minutes if you take the high speed. There's no sleeper cars and nothing to worry about midweek in Chinese New Year.

fart simpson is a PRC apologist, basically imagine pro-PRC Laowai minus the Mandarin proficiency and with no meat curing skills

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

systran posted:

If you'd like to know more about the chinaman (and/or chinawoman, to be PC)

big mouthful of coffee on the floor right now after reading this lol

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

systran posted:

fart simpson is a PRC apologist, basically imagine pro-PRC Laowai minus the Mandarin proficiency and with no meat curing skills

Actually I just bought some curing salt to start making my own cured meats.

hong kong divorce lunch
Sep 20, 2005
From Shenzhen to Guangzhou you still need to be prepared to force somebody out of your reserved seat they sat in.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

augustus gluten posted:

From Shenzhen to Guangzhou you still need to be prepared to force somebody out of your reserved seat they sat in.

Unlikely it will actually happen, but if it does, they'll probably immediately get up and scramble around looking for a new potentially unoccupied seat.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
I'm going to China in about a month. I have it mostly figured out but I have a few questions:

1. What's the best VPN at the moment? Having one that's free/cheap for the first month would also be good.

2. Should I buy a SIM card in the US or wait till I'm at the airport (I'll be in PEK)? Also same question but with exchanging currency?

3. I've been asked to bring about a carton of cigarettes and I don't want to spend $50, can I get good and/or cheap ones at the airport?

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

fart simpson posted:

fart simpson posted:

fart simpson posted:

Unlikely it will actually happen, but if it does, they'll probably immediately get up and scramble around looking for a new potentially unoccupied seat.

All of this is true. The high speed trains should be better than regular ones too. Even riding a nonlettered train, people will move immediately for you if you have a ticket for their seat unless they're passed out drunk.

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

What the hell is wrong with you people?
And if you like smoking and drinking (aka youre cool), take a longer train during Spring Festival and get wasted while playing weird card games.

LosMein
Feb 15, 2006
I'm currently teaching English in Thailand but I'm looking to start teaching elsewhere in Asia. I've heard that it is more difficult to find a job in Hong Kong, but I was thinking about going there for a few days next month to see if I can find anything in person. Is this a good strategy? If so, is there a good place to start? I'm not a certified teacher but I have 3 years' experience.

I was there for 10 hours when I was flying through on Christmas Eve, and it was a pretty good time. I'm hoping I can find something worthwhile there.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Try jobs db?

http://hk.jobsdb.com/hk

Tutoring centers are more lenient and relaxed. There's also public schools under the NET scheme. http://www.edb.gov.hk/en/curriculum-development/resource-support/net/index.html

You are supposed to have all these credentials but sometimes schools just grab whoever they can as a temp and then sponsor them. So it's all random

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

computer parts posted:

I'm going to China in about a month. I have it mostly figured out but I have a few questions:

1. What's the best VPN at the moment? Having one that's free/cheap for the first month would also be good.

Astrill, ExpressVPN and Pandapow are what most people use. I think they all have a free month? Sign up for this before you come since most of their sites are blocked without a VPN.

quote:

2. Should I buy a SIM card in the US or wait till I'm at the airport (I'll be in PEK)? Also same question but with exchanging currency?

Buy a sim here, I don't think a sim you bring over would even work? They're generally like 20-30rmb when you sign up so no big. Go with China Unicom, though. China Mobile and Telecom do not support the 3G and 4G bands that everyone in Europe and NA do, so you phone wi,ll probably not work with anyone but them. They have a deal now for like 500mb of 4G, plenty of texts/call for 76rmb (like 12 bucks) a month. You can add on more if you need it.

Exchange at airports are all scams. Just use an ATM. Almost every ATM here will handle visa/maestro/mastercard and you'll get a better exchange rate than the kiosks at the airport. Tell your bank you are coming over though or they will most likely shut down your account.

quote:

3. I've been asked to bring about a carton of cigarettes and I don't want to spend $50, can I get good and/or cheap ones at the airport?

You were asked to bring them over cause foreign cigarettes are much cheaper and higher quality than here (some packs are upwards of 10USD in some places). Maybe duty free at your point of origin is the best?

SB35
Jul 6, 2007
Move along folks, nothing to see here.

computer parts posted:

I'm going to China in about a month.

Spend the $50. They asked you because the brand they want isn't available in China or is pretty expensive. Airport duty free only carries a small selection of the most popular stuff like Marlboro... Typically no menthols, no cigars, Swisher's, no kreteks, etc.

Actually, have e-cigs been picking up in popularity in China like they have in the US lately?

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

SB35 posted:

Actually, have e-cigs been picking up in popularity in China like they have in the US lately?

Well you can get them as "smoke quitting aids" in taobao a while ago

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

The only people I've seen "smoking" them are whiteys though. :shrug:

Trammel
Dec 31, 2007

computer parts posted:

1. What's the best VPN at the moment

3. I've been asked to bring about a carton of cigarettes and I don't want to spend $50

1/ VPN recommendations seem to be weirdly personal things. I use both PureVPN and Witopia. There's no real right answer, just what fits your needs in terms of how many devices you want to connect simultaneously, and what mix of OS the devices run.

But sign up to one before you leave.

2/ Wait until you get here, then buy a China Unicom SIM card. Because China.

Get a bank account that doesn't charge fees for international ATM withdrawals (they are rare, but exist) and use that and local Chinese ATMs.

3/ Somebody is asking because either the brand is unavailable, or they think US packaging is important. Either way, spend the fifty bucks. It's an investment.

Toys For Twats
Sep 30, 2007
One awesome dude
I was recently living in hangzhou on a student visa and now i'm back in england, I have to move out of my mums house and it's cheaper to move back there, looking at the visas, it's a lot harder to get a visa that lets you stay there long term, does anyone know what my best options are if i plan to go over there looking for a job?

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

E: double post

simplefish fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Feb 18, 2015

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

cabbagedude posted:

I was recently living in hangzhou on a student visa and now i'm back in england, I have to move out of my mums house and it's cheaper to move back there, looking at the visas, it's a lot harder to get a visa that lets you stay there long term, does anyone know what my best options are if i plan to go over there looking for a job?

Find a job before you go.

If you turn up and look for work on a tourist visa, you will have to leave and reenter to activate a work visa if a company chooses to sponsor you. Also looking for work on a tourist visa is technically illegal.

Plus an employer might pay for your flights from the UK, depending on your industry

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

simplefish posted:

Find a job before you go.

If you turn up and look for work on a tourist visa, you will have to leave and reenter to activate a work visa if a company chooses to sponsor you. Also looking for work on a tourist visa is technically illegal.

Plus an employer might pay for your flights from the UK, depending on your industry

Note that now the government is actually cracking down on work permits and stuff. You need 2 years of experience to teach/5 to do anything else which means there needs to be a gap of 2-5 years between now and your graduation from university.

Of course there are a lot of ways to bend the rules, but it seems that it is significant;y harder now than it was a couple of years ago to fake it.

SB35
Jul 6, 2007
Move along folks, nothing to see here.
Happy new year goons!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
congrats, make money, become rich, give me my red envelope