Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

J posted:

The real question is what's worse, printers or banks?

Banks. Printers at least haven't actively tried to ruin the world economy (to my knowledge, at least). :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

J posted:

The real question is what's worse, printers or banks?

I have a client who has endless troubles with printing custom checks from Quickbooks, pretty sure it's given me PTSD.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

THF13 posted:

So if I'm understanding everyone correctly, the best way to send money in the US is to scan a paper check, embed it in a word document, print to a pdf and email it?

you actually have to fax it.

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.
Anyone here use one of those Cisco Merakis, that you get for free for watching the webinar, as a home wifi? Can you put something like dd-wrt on it so you don't have to pay their subscription thing?

I think my wifi (cheap netgear) is flaking out and I have one of those Meraki that is just sitting in a box. I never set it up because of the 3 year subscription thing.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009
You put the meraki up on amazon and you sell it. They aren't good for anything else. Can you flash DD-wrt? Of course, if desired. Or flip it for a good home router.

Also, :yotj: update - a job that exactly fit my skillset and desires that I posted about went with someone else because I apparently (unintentionally) called out a number of bad decisions made by the VP during the interview that violated basic network administration best practices, and so even though I aced the interview process (including highest score on a CCNA/network+/a+ group of tests), they refused to hire me. I found out from other people I knew who worked there.

So much for that!

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

notwithoutmyanus posted:

You put the meraki up on amazon and you sell it. They aren't good for anything else.

Also, :yotj: update - a job that exactly fit my skillset and desires that I posted about went with someone else because I apparently (unintentionally) called out a number of bad decisions made by the VP during the interview that violated basic network administration best practices, and so even though I aced the interview process (including highest score on a CCNA/network+/a+ group of tests), they refused to hire me. I found out from other people I knew who worked there.

So much for that!

Honestly, I feel like you dodged a bullet.

If the VP can't admit he likely knows dick all about networking then you probably don't want to be there.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

FireSight posted:

To be fair, if I'm going anywhere that cell service might be spotty, I print out a copy of my map directions.... I had google maps crash on me when I was in the mountains once. That wasn't fun.

My dad put a pirated map database on the garmin we had and it forgot I-5 existed. Made a 2 hour trip into a 5 hour trip.

I didn't even care. I had the entire 200 mile trip memorized. Didn't even have a smartphone to fall back on. I work in IT

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

notwithoutmyanus posted:

You put the meraki up on amazon and you sell it. They aren't good for anything else. Can you flash DD-wrt? Of course, if desired. Or flip it for a good home router.

So much for that!

What sort of things did you point out, out of curiosity...

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
Re: payments, there are some companies like Google, Square, and Venmo that are trying to fill the gap here by allowing paying person to person through their own walled gardens .

Hell, pay by email.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

m.hache posted:

Honestly, I feel like you dodged a bullet.

If the VP can't admit he likely knows dick all about networking then you probably don't want to be there.

That is almost verbatim what the friend who works there told me. I'd agree. Sad, waking to a workplace so close I don't even need public transportation plus a huge salary bump would have been a dream considering that I have a two month old.

AlternateAccount posted:

What sort of things did you point out, out of curiosity...

Not sure? Asking for SLAs with vendors, expecting to create an inventory and documentation expectations? Conducting site surveys to figure out their wifi issues? Expecting to interact with vendors and establish end to end monitoring with a non shoestring budget? They dislike their existing vendors but don't even know their sla, so it was kinda hard to say the vendor is the problem when I don't know what they agreed on.I did point that out. That's all I remember.

You know, groundbreaking demands that rock the boat. Some part was something their VP(non technical) hosed up.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

Volmarias posted:

Re: payments, there are some companies like Google, Square, and Venmo that are trying to fill the gap here by allowing paying person to person through their own walled gardens .

Hell, pay by email.

When Gmail started rolling out paying by e-mail, I got a notification that I could send money to the person I was emailing. Except I was emailing a city councilor about a thing, so Google was basically telling me to bribe a city official.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
I.. I think I just :yotj: ? I'm not sure. It's obvious I got the job, but it's now between this in San Diago or another one in Holland Michigan.

Both would be great and have similar benefits, and similar pay in regards to cost of living. I don't know what to do! :smith:

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
User: My laptop can't see my home wifi network!
Me: Have you rebooted? Did you try flipping the hardware switch on the front?
User: I did reboot and the switch looks to be correct.
Me: *grumble* <remote in> ok, the wifi isn't disabled. Can you try actually moving the little switch?
<wifi suddenly shows networks>
user: Really? The little red light means off?

:psyboom:

Taliesyn
Apr 5, 2007

ratbert90 posted:

I.. I think I just :yotj: ? I'm not sure. It's obvious I got the job, but it's now between this in San Diago or another one in Holland Michigan.

Both would be great and have similar benefits, and similar pay in regards to cost of living. I don't know what to do! :smith:

If it helps, this is what Michigan looks like right now:

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Today I learned that the 'site surveys' performed by our network cabling sub-contractor are just Aerohive predicted coverage maps. When I asked if they could do a proper survey they started asking us how to do it.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Aunt Beth posted:

Hey there WNY Goon! You in Roc or Buff?

Hello! Buffalo here. Why are there so goddamn few of us? Are we all just antisocial? The goonmeet threads never ever go anywhere.

ratbert90 posted:

Buffalo has similar weather compared to Michigan. Please take this into consideration when I tell you run, you fool! RUN TO SAN DIEGO AND NEVER LOOK BACK! Unless you enjoy 8 months of frigid, bleary winter per year, get the gently caress to San Diego!

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

neogeo0823 posted:

Hello! Buffalo here. Why are there so goddamn few of us? Are we all just antisocial? The goonmeet threads never ever go anywhere.

Buffalo has similar weather compared to Michigan. Please take this into consideration when I tell you run, you fool! RUN TO SAN DIEGO AND NEVER LOOK BACK! Unless you enjoy 8 months of frigid, bleary winter per year, get the gently caress to San Diego!

Jamestown here. gently caress this icy hellscape. (The MSP that does our out of warranty fixes is in Buffalo).

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse

ilkhan posted:

Me: *grumble* <remote in> ok, the wifi isn't disabled. Can you try actually moving the little switch?

Let me guess, this user was about 40 or older, right? Long, long ago in the Dark Times before all these fancy colored LEDs were around, all of the little "this thing is turned on" lights on electronic gizmos were red, because red was all we had, you see. If a thing was off, there'd be no light at all. Then you kids and your fancy green and blue and yellow lights came along and now everything is all confusing and poo poo. :corsair:

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

ilkhan posted:

If the light is on the device is on too. :colbert:

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

dennyk posted:

Let me guess, this user was about 40 or older, right? Long, long ago in the Dark Times before all these fancy colored LEDs were around, all of the little "this thing is turned on" lights on electronic gizmos were red, because red was all we had, you see. If a thing was off, there'd be no light at all. Then you kids and your fancy green and blue and yellow lights came along and now everything is all confusing and poo poo. :corsair:

Keep chatterin' grandpa, I'll be waiting by my phone when you can't figure out why your laptop hibernates when you try to turn it off

No lie, happened to my 58 year old dad, he was always "shocked at how fast it seemed to boot up"

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse

Ozz81 posted:

Keep chatterin' grandpa, I'll be waiting by my phone when you can't figure out why your laptop hibernates when you try to turn it off

No lie, happened to my 58 year old dad, he was always "shocked at how fast it seemed to boot up"

Clearly you mean "sleep" since waking up from hibernation means loading several gigs of memory data from a lovely consumer-grade 5400RPM spinning disk, which could only be considered "fast" if you're talking in terms of a geologic time scale. :colbert:

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

neogeo0823 posted:

I live in a place where this is a thing.

The Fool fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Feb 18, 2015

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

The Fool posted:

Hey, University of Alaska. Neat. This past weekend, it was -30 with the wind chill. I heard we actually beat a not-insignificant part of your state out for being that drat cold.

gently caress Buffalo and this icy hellscape, is what I'm trying to say.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

The Fool posted:

As long as you're out of the wind this isn't that bad.

If there's even a breath of wind when it's that cold, however, no amount of jackets will keep you warm.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

E: I'm an idiot. Nvm

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
Left Side <--- Many Whelps
Shoutout to svchost.exe that is maxing the CPU on all my servers right now. What the gently caress.

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

The Fool posted:

The one and only time I was in -45F weather, my car engine was so cold it didn't want to turn over, and I almost got my hand stuck to my seatbelt buckle. Those people are insane.

Cosmic D
Feb 17, 2015

Swink posted:

Shoutout to svchost.exe that is maxing the CPU on all my servers right now. What the gently caress.

Check Microsoft/Sysinternals Process Explorer to find out what services are causing the bottlenecks.
https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896653.aspx

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

The Fool posted:

I think ice fog is the most "gently caress you" Alaskan weather. It gets so cold the vapor in the air freezes.

EDIT: Actually I guess that's probably some in the background of your picture too.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Holland is a great place to live and work because it's right near Grand Rapids, my hometown and an awesome city full of delicious beer.

Winter is fun and snow rules, quit complaining and send me all your snow, we don't get enough here for my liking. :colbert:

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer

neogeo0823 posted:

Hello! Buffalo here.

Nerdrock posted:

Jamestown here.
I'm in Rochester, though my work territory occasionally extends itself to Buffalo and Jamestown. Are there WNY goonmeet threads? I very rarely venture beyond SH/SC or A/T. Have you guys- have you seen the sun? I did today. I'd nearly forgotten what it looks like. I grew up in the Hudson Valley and moved to Rochester in 2005. I guess since I grew up in Upstate I don't particularly hate the cold, but I don't like the gray, and by February I'm over shoveling.

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
Left Side <--- Many Whelps

Cosmic D posted:

Check Microsoft/Sysinternals Process Explorer to find out what services are causing the bottlenecks.
https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896653.aspx

Its the windows update \ wueng service chucking a spaz. Maybe a bad update when down the pipe the other day. I dont even care anymore. I just gave the important servers another CPU and I'm going home.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Sirotan posted:

Holland is a great place to live and work because it's right near Grand Rapids, my hometown and an awesome city full of delicious beer.

Winter is fun and snow rules, quit complaining and send me all your snow, we don't get enough here for my liking. :colbert:

http://live.buffalonews.com/front-pages-buffalo-news-six-days-snowvember-storm-coverage/

So, Snowvember. Some of you may have heard about it in the news. It was a lake effect storm that blew upwards of 9 feet of snow over the course of 3 days over pretty much all of the southern 2/3rds of the city, down all the way towards Pennsylvania. Then just a couple days later, it warmed up to roughly t-shirt wearing weather and we got 6 inches of rain. The first picture in that link I posted shows a literal wall of snow falling, but a somewhat better picture can be found here.

I used to like the snow, once, a long time ago. Then I stopped sledding in it and started shoveling it and now all I want to do is move to, say, Arizona, or the warmer parts of Colorado. gently caress snow. gently caress it hard.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

neogeo0823 posted:

http://live.buffalonews.com/front-pages-buffalo-news-six-days-snowvember-storm-coverage/

So, Snowvember. Some of you may have heard about it in the news. It was a lake effect storm that blew upwards of 9 feet of snow over the course of 3 days over pretty much all of the southern 2/3rds of the city, down all the way towards Pennsylvania. Then just a couple days later, it warmed up to roughly t-shirt wearing weather and we got 6 inches of rain. The first picture in that link I posted shows a literal wall of snow falling, but a somewhat better picture can be found here.

I used to like the snow, once, a long time ago. Then I stopped sledding in it and started shoveling it and now all I want to do is move to, say, Arizona, or the warmer parts of Colorado. gently caress snow. gently caress it hard.

Get a snowblower, shoveling is for chumps.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
I live in Berkeley. It's been in the high 60s - low 70s this week.

Also, are you a Harp Seal Sirotan?

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Sirotan has a seriously long picture delay. I was just about to go "Wait, it was a cactus yesterday" when it flipped. And now it's a lobster! And a cat! I never noticed before.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Bhodi posted:

Sirotan has a seriously long picture delay. I was just about to go "Wait, it was a cactus yesterday" when it flipped. And now it's a lobster! And a cat! I never noticed before.

I did the same thing.

:sigh:

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

I live in Berkeley. It's been in the high 60s - low 70s this week.

I'm in Palo Alto, where the temperature range, year round, is a mere 20 degrees to either side of 70. I haven't worn a jacket since I moved out of Ohio.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Also, are you a Harp Seal Sirotan?

Yes. If it gets above 70 I start to melt. Snow and grey skies forever please.

Bhodi posted:

No I just have a really big monthly avatar budget. :D

I need to get something new now that the avatar size requirements have changed, but I really love my little cactus Sirotan...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Sirotan posted:

Pouring out a 40 12oz for my homie blackswordca.

:cheers:

This is my favorite Sirotan avatar.

• Locked thread