Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cataphract
Sep 10, 2004

Fun Shoe

ThNextGreenLantern posted:

It's been a bit, but there was something about the Blood Angels codex I wanted to talk about : No build-your-own Chapter Master. I'm not complaining here, we still get Dante and Gabriel Seth (And Malakim Phoros), it just came as a bit of a surprise. I know the Dark Angels and Space Wolves don't have that option either, but they don't have Successor Chapters. Well, Dark Angels say they have Successor Chapters, but they act like a legion anyway. On the other hand, Blood Angels have successor chapters popular enough that they have 3 unique Chapter Masters. Between this and the move of Chapter Masters to the Lord of War slot, do you think the Codex Space Marines might lose the generic Chapter Master?

I think the generic chapter master will stick around. At least as long as there aren't rules for all the chapter masters of the first founding chapters

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AbusePuppy
Nov 1, 2012

BEST DAY OF MY LIFE!!!!!! so far.

Ghost Hand posted:

Missed that... so sorry.

Still a great freakin book.

Yeah, I think IA13 is possibly the best book Forge World has made yet. The fluff side of it isn't quite as nice as, say, the Badab War books or some of the others, but most of the stuff in there is actually good, which just feels crazy given how CSM usually gets treated. And R&H is a really neat list, even if I do hate the Uncertain Worth rule more every time I have to play with it. But as a whole, the book is just filled with a ton of really fun and neat and unique stuff and I wish they would do this sort of thing more often.

Cataphract
Sep 10, 2004

Fun Shoe
Ok, so I'm slowly building my 30k Night lords and I should have some painted tonight. I haven't given a lot of thought to a list yet so if there's some thoughts y'all have I'd appreciate it. I'm thinking I want to use the terror assault rites of war and I spose this is the backbone that I've been building towards but I don't really know what else to add.

10xterror squad - volkite chargers, chainglave, melta bomb, drop pod
10xterror squad - volkite chargers, chainglave, melta bomb, drop pod
10xterror squad - boltguns, chainglave, melta bomb

10x Night raptors

Mortis contemptor with kheres assault cannons

Sicaran battle tank

Kurze

I figure maybe a praetor to roll with the terror squad or night raptors... maybe a melta gun toting tactical support squad. I'm keen for it to be a nice balance of fluffy/not terrible.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.

Ignite Memories posted:

Hey remember that time Hollismason toxx'd himself

What the gently caress dude, do you like follow my posts seriously it's at this point getting creepy. ( Ps. I was right)

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Hencoe posted:

BULBASAUR
Have you used the Hammer of Olympia rite yet and how did it work out if you did, what did you run? I'm debating on Ebaying a bunch of tanks and such to make use of it, and does it work with the extra FoCs, I think it's Onslaught that let's you take 4 heavy supports

I've never run it before since the rules are pretty :flaccid: I mostly play as Iron Hands :(

Warsmith's kinda suck. They cost a lot, loose you an extra VP, and let your opponent choose to play 6 turns whenever they want. IW's do have some good support units though- I'd consider some missile havocs on a bastion with an ammo dump, or some siege terminators standing in front of that new dodo contemptor for a sweet wall of 2+ 3++. Kyr Vhalen pairs up really well with havocs, since he grants them a free ammo dump, and is pretty good marching inside a blob or sitting in a fortification. Expensive though.

I really like your idea of an onslaught list though. You can't ally in anybody or use a ROW, but who cares! It's better than the RWO by a longshot since it removes half your troops tax. You do loose out on the IWs biggest asset- being battle bros with admech, but there are ways around that. If I was running an IW onslaught list I'd start with the new Praevian HQ. Then mount your 10 man tactical tax into a rhino/drop pod. From here you have loads of heavy support and elite choices to choose from. That said, other legions can do the same thing, better so don't be scared to do what I did and just pick whichever legion has the best rules for how you play.

BULBASAUR fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Feb 18, 2015

Tadhg
Aug 5, 2007

AUT MORS
AUT GLORIA

:hist101:
Against all better judgements, I dusted off my space barbies this weekend and played my first game since... I dunno, summertime? Felt good to drink beer and roll stupid amounts of dice with friends; probably going to become a regular thing again.

What's the state of things these days? Is 7th edition actually worth picking up? How much is my Land Raider retirement fund worth now?

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you
'sup Tadhg? :cheers:

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

MY LIFE GOAL IS TO STICK A FLESHLIGHT INTO THE END OF A HOWITZER AND FUCK THE SHIT OUT OF IT

BULBASAUR posted:

I've never run it before since the rules are pretty :flaccid: I mostly play as Iron Hands :(

Warsmith's kinda suck. They cost a lot, loose you an extra VP, and let your opponent choose to play 6 turns whenever they want. IW's do have some good support units though- I'd consider some missile havocs on a bastion with an ammo dump, or some siege terminators standing in front of that new dodo contemptor for a sweet wall of 2+ 3++. Kyr Vhalen pairs up really well with havocs, since he grants them a free ammo dump, and is pretty good marching inside a blob or sitting in a fortification. Expensive though.

I really like your idea of an onslaught list though. You can't ally in anybody or use a ROW, but who cares! It's better than the RWO by a longshot since it removes half your troops tax. You do loose out on the IWs biggest asset- being battle bros with admech, but there are ways around that. If I was running an IW onslaught list I'd start with the new Praevian HQ. Then mount your 10 man tactical tax into a rhino/drop pod. From here you have loads of heavy support and elite choices to choose from. That said, other legions can do the same thing, better so don't be scared to do what I did and just pick whichever legion has the best rules for how you play.

Whats the Praevian do? I want to stick with Iron warriors more for fun than competition I have my admech for that, im currently working on/waiting for
Legion Praetor kit, 35 tactical dudes with 30 bolters and a 5 meltagun set, Reconnaissance squad with combi weapons im running as seekers, 3 rhinos, 3 tfc/rapier platforms (3rd party stuff) and a fire raptor.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Hollismason posted:

What the gently caress dude, do you like follow my posts seriously it's at this point getting creepy. ( Ps. I was right)

Your posts are literally twice as big as everyone else's and you never ever stop.

edit: holy poo poo he has 28 pages of posts in this thread.

Ignite Memories fucked around with this message at 07:46 on Feb 18, 2015

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.

Ignite Memories posted:

Your posts are literally twice as big as everyone else's and you never ever stop.

I will never get rid of this custom title because its more annoying to other people than it is to me. Also didn't post for like 3 days and just posted today or yesterday because I was to busy this past weekend. Again you are being creepy and weird about things but you should definitely just keep bringing up poo poo like this in the thread.

Here are some cool models.

And this , whatever this is

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 07:32 on Feb 18, 2015

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
A Praevian is a consul HQ with a cortex controller that must be joined by 1-5 castellax. He can't be joined by other models, but it's still a majority toughness 7 fearless deathstar. If the pravian shoots and hits an enemy model the castellax also get preferred enemy whatever-the-pravian-shot-at.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

BULBASAUR posted:

A Praevian is a consul HQ with a cortex controller that must be joined by 1-5 castellax. He can't be joined by other models, but it's still a majority toughness 7 fearless deathstar. If the pravian shoots and hits an enemy model the castellax also get preferred enemy whatever-the-pravian-shot-at.

Holy poo poo. Is that the new consul type that got rules from the recent Horus Heresy weekender?

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Yep. It gets better. The legion astartes rule confers over to the castellax. This means comedy such as:

Imperial Fists- BS5 bolters for free
Iron Hands- majority toughness 8, lol
Raven Guard- infiltrating/scouting castellax, double lol
Alpha Legion- infiltrating castellax or castellax with tank hunters

There's probably some other good combos out there since you can also arm the castellax with wargear from your legion.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

serious gaylord posted:

Is he the one thats usually more wrong than right? I hope not since Genestealer cultists would own.

He did post about a brand new 30k plastic starter box the other day though.

Once upon a time Hastings was alongside Harry as the 2 people that actually knew what they were talking about, although one favoured fantasy and the other 40k. Can't remember which way around. I thought Hastings hung up his rumour shoes years ago though.

drgnvale
Apr 30, 2004

A sword is not cutlery!
Necron game report:

Tyranid victory!

My list can be seen in some previous post of mine (it was the one with a single flyrant). My opponent had a ghost ark + 10 warriors, 10 immortals and a cryptek, some destroyers (3?), a monolith (took me 5 turns to take a single hull point off, while its blast was erasing my troops every other turn. gently caress warp blast), and some lychguard with an overlord.

For the first 3 or 4 turns it looked like I was in the process of getting tabled, but then I drew a bunch of easy maelstrom cards (3x get objective 5, do some psyker powers, etc) and got something like 6 points in turn 6 and ended the game on turn 7 with another few. The only point I had until turn 4 was first blood from my opponent's deathmarks mishapping off the table on turn 2.

At the bottom of turn 7 I had way more stuff alive than he did though, since he spent most of his effective shooting wiping out various gants and the tervigon; once he got to the other things I just had amazingly good luck with cover and zoanthrope saves.

I enjoyed the game (largely because my opponent was fun to talk with), but I don't think I enjoy playing tyranids. I'll give the army a few more tries (maybe once I've built some more MCs), but it's likely that this will be the first army I sell off.

I'm starting to get really soured on maelstrom missions; only one of the games I've played with them has been a close one in points, and that one was where all I had was a bike chapter fleeing a horde of choppa boys and making all of his saves against lootas while running around and collecting objective points. That one was a tie. The rest have been blow outs where one player (usually me) got a ton of low effort points across a turn or two and the other player was never given the chance to catch up.

hobocrunch
Mar 11, 2008

I'm walkin' here
I need some strategies for 4x Multi-Melta Squad of Devastators. Seems like every game they just get dunked or don't engage properly. (Salamanders)

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Ignite Memories posted:

I think 99% of the thread has toxx'd Hollismason by this point.

drgnvale
Apr 30, 2004

A sword is not cutlery!

hobocrunch posted:

I need some strategies for 4x Multi-Melta Squad of Devastators. Seems like every game they just get dunked or don't engage properly. (Salamanders)

How are you getting them places? I've never run MM devastators because it seems like MM range is kinda short and you have to use up a force org slot to give them a ride. Missile launcher, lascannon or plasma gun devastators can just hide in ruins and act like an immobile turret until I need them to run to a nearby objective, but those units cost a lot of points and prevent me from bringing my predators and thunderfire cannons. And the predator and TFC both seem to do the job of killing armor or infantry pretty effectively.

I know that wasn't really helpful, but it seems like transport options are kinda limited so I don't know if there is a good answer. I'd love to be wrong about that.

Edit: Welp, I have no idea how I missed that they get dedicated transports. I'm still skeptical of MM utility unless you're just plopping them down somewhere to discourage any vehicles from getting close.

drgnvale fucked around with this message at 10:32 on Feb 18, 2015

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Cataphract posted:

I think the generic chapter master will stick around. At least as long as there aren't rules for all the chapter masters of the first founding chapters

They're here to stay, at least until GW redoes the fluff again. According to http://www.games-workshop.com/en-GB/Space-Marine-Masters-of-the-Chapter 'Chapter Master' is essentially a 'Super Captain' rank and a Chapter can have multiple 'Masters'.

Then again maybe they just made that up for that kit so they don't have to explain why the Ultramarines apparently have like 14 Captains.

Karandras
Apr 27, 2006

Chapter Master is different to Master of the Chapter. Master is a synonym for Captain in some legions. That box set starts with a description of what a Chapter Master is then confusingly slips into talking about various Captains, but there's still just one Chapter Master per Chapter.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

drat that is confusing. GW fluff writing at it's finest!

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Those guys are meant to represent captains with specific roles like Master of the Armory or Master of Recruits. Basically, every captain has an additional role assigned depending on the company they command. This is probably laid out in the codex or whatever.

A bunch of chapters have unique names for their captains though. Like the Dark Angels who just call them (company) masters. :downs:

BULBASAUR posted:

Yep. It gets better. The legion astartes rule confers over to the castellax. This means comedy such as:

Imperial Fists- BS5 bolters for free
Iron Hands- majority toughness 8, lol
Raven Guard- infiltrating/scouting castellax, double lol
Alpha Legion- infiltrating castellax or castellax with tank hunters

There's probably some other good combos out there since you can also arm the castellax with wargear from your legion.
Hot drat. By legion wargear do you mean things like banestrike shells, sonic shriekers, and chem munitions? I can't think of any actual unique weapons that aren't melee. A castellax throwing around some World Eaters gladiatorial weaponry would probably be pretty cool, but I don't see that happening.

Safety Factor fucked around with this message at 12:16 on Feb 18, 2015

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.
Which is why the SW is once again the greatest chapter. They dont care about any pissy-rear end Master of the Fleet.

Hra Mormo
Mar 6, 2008

The Internet Man
On the other hand they gently caress plushies.

ChrisAsmadi
Apr 19, 2007
:D

ThNextGreenLantern posted:

It's been a bit, but there was something about the Blood Angels codex I wanted to talk about : No build-your-own Chapter Master. I'm not complaining here, we still get Dante and Gabriel Seth (And Malakim Phoros), it just came as a bit of a surprise. I know the Dark Angels and Space Wolves don't have that option either, but they don't have Successor Chapters. Well, Dark Angels say they have Successor Chapters, but they act like a legion anyway. On the other hand, Blood Angels have successor chapters popular enough that they have 3 unique Chapter Masters. Between this and the move of Chapter Masters to the Lord of War slot, do you think the Codex Space Marines might lose the generic Chapter Master?

While I don't think they'll lose it, I wonder if it'll be the first generic character Lord of War we see.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Ignite Memories posted:

Remember that day he was wrong about something?

that day is called everyday

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Remember that day everyone complained about his posts yet can't stop posting about him?

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.

Moola posted:

Remember that day he was wrong about something?

that day is called everyday

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

Tadhg posted:

Against all better judgements, I dusted off my space barbies this weekend and played my first game since... I dunno, summertime? Felt good to drink beer and roll stupid amounts of dice with friends; probably going to become a regular thing again.

What's the state of things these days? Is 7th edition actually worth picking up? How much is my Land Raider retirement fund worth now?

Hey dude, welcome back!

The state of things are good, if a little weird. 7th Edition is about what we determined to begin with, a revamp/fix of 6th Edition with generally better (but imperfect) rules. If you can get over buying a new codex after only a few years I'd suggest picking it up, especially since there's a number of cheap and available mini-Rulebooks from the various dual sets they've been releasing (Stormclaw, Deathstorm).

GW is really shaking up how you can build your army and continues to make new and interesting (even sometimes good!) Formations and other grouping rules. The Necron Decurion system seems to be the latest thing, where you build a super-Formation out of other Formations and get free bonuses, essentially making an FOC out of groups instead of single units. I'm not sure if it's going to carry into the next codex and become a normal thing, but it's certainly interesting.

We just got Codex: Space Clowns, which seems to have made people who like them happy and people who hate them mad. We're not sure what's coming next but we might get Codex: Limousine so that's pretty cool.

Cataphract
Sep 10, 2004

Fun Shoe
Man I'd be so happy if they released codex:buglovers I could dust off my 2nd ed army.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Codex arbites would be rocking too

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
And while we're wishing for things that will never happen in a million years, Codex: Squats.

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

Captain Invictus posted:

And while we're wishing for things that will never happen in a million years, Codex: Squats.

You mean the Lizardmen army book, right? :smuggo:

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Captain Invictus posted:

spacegoat
Dec 23, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Nap Ghost

drgnvale posted:

I'm starting to get really soured on maelstrom missions; only one of the games I've played with them has been a close one in points, and that one was where all I had was a bike chapter fleeing a horde of choppa boys and making all of his saves against lootas while running around and collecting objective points. That one was a tie. The rest have been blow outs where one player (usually me) got a ton of low effort points across a turn or two and the other player was never given the chance to catch up.

My problem with Maelstrom missions are that you have no way of preventing your opponent from scoring the objectives they draw. If you scored at the beginning of your next turn (before you discard/redraw) I'd be a lot happier with it.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Ignite Memories posted:

edit: holy poo poo he has 28 pages of posts in this thread.
Just ignore him like everyone else in this thread.

serious gaylord posted:

Codex arbites would be rocking too
I'm REALLY hoping they do this. A 5 man box just like the Scions box with shotguns and bolters would sell really well to old school hams, and any opportunity they have to release another Guardsmen stand-in kit is a good one if you ask me.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

I just preordered the limited edition

SRM posted:

I'm REALLY hoping they do this. A 5 man box just like the Scions box with shotguns and bolters would sell really well to old school hams, and any opportunity they have to release another Guardsmen stand-in kit is a good one if you ask me.

http://store.warlordgames.com/collections/judge-dredd

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Better tear off this bar association logo.
Hey Bulbasaur, could you take a good hard look at Word Bearers Ashen Circle and tell me if you think they're worthwhile? Cheap power axes seem nice and I love the models (as we've already discussed), but a squad of 10 is marginally more expensive than Assault Marines with what seem to be pretty marginal advantages, aren't a Troops choice, and Assault Marines seem kind of terrible as it is. Would you take them, and if so, how would you build them?

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
You're paying 25 points for +1 WS, Str 5 HoW (that always works), and useful ranged weapons. You can also give 2 of them power axes for the price it costs an Assault Squad to take 1. They're not troops but it's not like my Legion lists are ever strapped for FA slots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

SRM posted:

Just ignore him like everyone else in this thread.

Holy loving poo poo it works on his avatar

• Locked thread