Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠

IRSmurf posted:

Xenoblade:

gently caress me that is amazing.

For those of you wanting to get into Monster Hunter: Social Dissonance is pretty good at doing MH related things, and explains the game pretty well. He did a Tri LP and it helped me to stop sucking at it so bad. I don't know if he still posts here on SA or not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The processor can't handle emulating it. If we're very very lucky, maybe it's possible on the n3DS hardware.

Wait, seriously? You could emulate SNES on a regular DS Lite... like, really easily. That is the dumbest excuse I've ever heard Nintendo give, wow.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Fuzz posted:

Wait, seriously? You could emulate SNES on a regular DS Lite... like, really easily. That is the dumbest excuse I've ever heard Nintendo give, wow.

easily but badly

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
This topic's come up a lot (along with sister topic GBA VC) and I don't think anyone's ever answered with one hundred percent certainty

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Yeah, there's a big difference between "it works okay for some games" and "working properly"

Also I'd like to thank whoever donated to the TG Sanity fund.

Looper posted:

This topic's come up a lot (along with sister topic GBA VC) and I don't think anyone's ever answered with one hundred percent certainty

The simple truth with software emulating is it needs to emulate half the hardware as well, which eats a lot of extra processing power. It's not just Button A = Button 1, but going through and accounting for the little tricks abused in the hardware like "waiting for chip 1 to complete it's memory stack before running code C" that simply isn't going to work on another console natively.

edit: VVV Yeah, pretty much that exactly.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
The best answer is still, "The 3DS can do it but not to the standards Nintendo sets for its VC titles."

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Well, there's the above question of Absolute Accuracy and the associated issue of performance

Furthermore, while most SNES games do (just barely) render in juuust within the 3DS's native resolution, many use a "hires" mode at 512x448 for special effects that would be difficult or impossible to faithfully reproduce on the 3DS's 240p screen. (One such game is Earthbound, FYI.)

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Neddy Seagoon posted:

zuh?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Did you not see his avatar as it was of about five-ten minutes ago of the obese naked man sitting at a computer?

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Neddy Seagoon posted:

:cawg:

I knew it wouldn't last more than a month.

Honkey Magoo
Jun 22, 2005
I don't recall seeing this on here but for anyone that is interested:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00QSK6U2S/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=1P0B4PMSM3KYH&coliid=I2MLVGR7OQ4VR4

I got one, it works fine and got me 40 Club points.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Did you not see his avatar as it was of about five-ten minutes ago of the obese naked man sitting at a computer?

...no. i'll check SOAP

Exioce
Sep 7, 2003

by VideoGames
I got a copy of Majora's Mask with my New 3DS XL. I'm holding off on registering the game. Is there any chance of Nintendo doing a 'Register Majora's Mask and get a free game' thing they occasionally do, or should I just bite the bullet and get my stars?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Exioce posted:

I got a copy of Majora's Mask with my New 3DS XL. I'm holding off on registering the game. Is there any chance of Nintendo doing a 'Register Majora's Mask and get a free game' thing they occasionally do, or should I just bite the bullet and get my stars?

Just get your stars, they're closing out Club Nintendo at the end of the year.

Exioce
Sep 7, 2003

by VideoGames

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Just get your stars, they're closing out Club Nintendo at the end of the year.

Thanks, will do.

Isn't it weird that I'm registering 3DS games but I can only get points usable on my Wii? Or have I been doing it wrong all this time?

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

Exioce posted:

Thanks, will do.

Isn't it weird that I'm registering 3DS games but I can only get points usable on my Wii? Or have I been doing it wrong all this time?

You have been doing it wrong all this time.

Exioce
Sep 7, 2003

by VideoGames

noirstronaut posted:

You have been doing it wrong all this time.

:(

What should I have been doing???

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Exioce posted:

Thanks, will do.

Point Cards can be used on the eShop and 3DS as well as the Wii VC.

And I really wish we got the Point Cards on the australian Club Nintendo :sigh:.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

I just had problems with the Super Stable 3D when playing it in my kitchen. I think certain lights gently caress up the eye tracking camera

SL the Pyro
Jun 16, 2013

My soul cries out
with the desire to
FRACTURE
your puny spine.

what do you mean that hotkey disappeared
http://nintendonews.com/2015/02/majoras-mask-new-nintendo-3ds-xl-microwave/

:aaaaa: I do not know how to feel about this.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

rofl

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Play the Song of Healing at it, it'll be just fine.

Also, it amuses me that the serial number sticker is so intact.

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

If a Gameboy can survive a Gulf War bombing, then this can survive a microwave. I have faith in Nintendo hardware.

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax

DoctorWhat posted:

That's a bummer. You can turn off the super-stable without turning off the 3D but that's not super-fun either.

Yes you can. Go to system settings > Super stable 3D and toggle it off.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

gannyGrabber posted:

Yes you can. Go to system settings > Super stable 3D and toggle it off.

That's...what he just said?

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

KingSlime posted:

man wouldn't it be fantastic if MH4 had gyro aiming for the long-range weapons?

this is seriously a million dollar idea capcom i'll be waiting for my check in the mail

Monster Hunter isn't allowed to have gameplay features if they were invented after 1999.

greatn fucked around with this message at 13:18 on Feb 20, 2015

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Here's some lovely quality off-screen gameplay of Rodea from a really noisy event. There's a guy explaining the gameplay in more detail, too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n--e_5MWo6Q

Flint_Paper
Jun 7, 2004

This isn't cool at all Looshkin! These are dark forces you're titting about with!

I am an idiot.

I won a copy of Monster hunter 4 through Twitter.

The last Nintendo handheld I owned was a GBA SP. I don't have a 3DS.

Rather than selling the game/giving it to friends, I have bought a New 3DS XL. It arrives next week.

I am an idiot.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Flint_Paper posted:

I am an idiot.

I won a copy of Monster hunter 4 through Twitter.

The last Nintendo handheld I owned was a GBA SP. I don't have a 3DS.

Rather than selling the game/giving it to friends, I have bought a New 3DS XL. It arrives next week.

I am an idiot.

You'll feel that way until you bask in that warm embrace of 3D gaming. It's like a hug from grandma.

old man on a horse
Dec 27, 2014

I don't waste my magic on just anything
You're an idiot for taking this long to buy a 3DS

My New 3DS arrived yesterday from Toys R Us (check there if you're someone still looking for one). This thing is super cool but the new spot for the stylus sucks. It was much easier for me to access and put it away when it was on the right side rather than the bottom.

shaitan
Mar 8, 2004
g.d.m.f.s.o.b.
You're an idiot for never owning a DS.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Flint_Paper posted:

I am an idiot.
This was the correct decision as you now have a whole lot of to you brand new DS and 3DS games to experience.

Your first course of action should be to purchase A Link Between Worlds and Kid Icarus Uprising.

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax

jivjov posted:

That's...what he just said?

I saw the 'can' as a 'can't.' I guess I should learn to read. My bad!

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

cat doter posted:

Is there a way to make the super stable 3d crap not freak the gently caress out constantly? It looks like my glasses gently caress up the head tracking or something. I've tried fiddling with the calibration settings but it doesn't seem to fix the problem.

The image constantly splits and flickers and there's ghosting and all sorts of poo poo. I'd play without my glasses except I need them to see things. I like seeing things.

I like seeing things too, so I put my glasses on my head or next to me while I play and then put them back on when I need to see something.

It's not like super stable 3d won't work unless you throw your glasses into the ocean, they just need to be off your eyes.

Or get 90's super skinny wireframe glasses it can probably see through those.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

shaitan posted:

You're an idiot for never owning a DS.

On the other hand, he gets to experience the entire DS library and 3DS library up to this point, and he didn't have to trade up to get New3DS, so I think he might be the winner here.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I have to say in readily enjoying New Super Mario Bros 2 and think that game is somewhat unfairly maligned. I really love the super relaxed timer, which gives you a ton of time to fully explore whatever level you're in and just collect every coin, even if it seems the only thing you get for collecting coins is a message saying "You collected coins!"

The Ass Stooge
Nov 9, 2012

a hunger uncurbed
by nature's calling

Looper posted:

There are already ten GBA games on the 3DS VC, but they're only available to people in the 3DS Ambassador program (i.e. those who bought a 3DS before the initial price drop). So GBA is definitely a thing.

Flint_Paper
Jun 7, 2004

This isn't cool at all Looshkin! These are dark forces you're titting about with!

raditts posted:

On the other hand, he gets to experience the entire DS library and 3DS library up to this point, and he didn't have to trade up to get New3DS, so I think he might be the winner here.

The god drat broke as all hell winner, sure.

I've also never played pokemon. What's the best one to start with?

Beyond that, I'm planning on Kid Icarus Uprising, Link Between Worlds, the 2 n64 Zeldas, Xenoblade and...I dunno. Some of the sega 3d ones? Mario 3d, too OH GOD I AM SPOILED FOR CHOICE.

EDIT: I own a Vita so it will be nice to actually have some portable games to play rather than just Persona 4 and maybe MGS3.

Flint_Paper fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Feb 20, 2015

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Coin Rush is a fantastic addition and one that should be standard going forward but I think did it a disservice by pushing it the way that they did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Ass Stooge
Nov 9, 2012

a hunger uncurbed
by nature's calling

Flint_Paper posted:

I've also never played pokemon. What's the best one to start with?

X/Y, because you can dress your trainer up in adorable outfits.