Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

jason posted:

My iPhone 5s is out of warranty/Applecare coverage and about to poo poo the bed. Guess it's time to upgrade to the 6 and looking for some advice on the best way to proceed as far as plans go.

I am currently out-of-contract on a $60/mo 2GB Single Line Plan. Can I keep this plan if I buy a discounted phone with a new 2-year contract? Is there a better deal than this currently available? It doesn't seem so from looking at the website.

Yes you can keep your plan. Getting a phone with the subsidy pricing will not change your plan

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GUYS STOP
Jun 7, 2003
Grimey Drawer

drat NIGGA posted:

Weird, the website is showing my contract end date being in May. Am I missing something here, isn't supposed to end in March?
If you suspend service without billing the contract gets extended by the number of days you suspend and don't pay for the service. Did you ever suspend line for being lost or something?

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....
Is the Droid Turbo and the Galaxy Note Edge the hot new phone on Verizon for a while? I just became eligible for a upgrade and my company will reimburse me for a new phone (up to $200) so I want to max it as much as possible.

Deep Winter
Mar 26, 2010

BexGu posted:

Is the Droid Turbo and the Galaxy Note Edge the hot new phone on Verizon for a while? I just became eligible for a upgrade and my company will reimburse me for a new phone (up to $200) so I want to max it as much as possible.

S6 should be coming out in a month or so. Druid turbo or note 4 aren't bad choices though.

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

Deep Winter posted:

S6 should be coming out in a month or so. Druid turbo or note 4 aren't bad choices though.

That gets repeated every week

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
What's the expectation for S6 battery life? I'm about to get an upgrade available and the Turbo seems to dominate that category.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

mastershakeman posted:

What's the expectation for S6 battery life? I'm about to get an upgrade available and the Turbo seems to dominate that category.

S5 battery life is already very good, so probably a bit better?

Deep Winter
Mar 26, 2010

mastershakeman posted:

Current rumours say it'll be smaller, juice wise, than the gs5, but will charge faster and have wireless charging.

tofes
Mar 31, 2011

#1 Milpitas Dave and Buster's superfan since 2013
Does Verizon offer a monthly discount for bringing your own phone and not signing up for a two year contract?

Deep Winter
Mar 26, 2010

tofes posted:

Does Verizon offer a monthly discount for bringing your own phone and not signing up for a two year contract?

Yes, the month to month discount, which is the same as the edge discount. $25 off when your data is (currently) 6gb or above, $15 when it's at 4 or below.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Deep Winter posted:

That was a promotIonal plan, no longer available. I don't believe you should have to change plans when you upgrade. If 2 gigs is all you use, stay where you are.

Not entirely true. They offered that to me as a loyalty plan a couple of days ago when I mentioned I was thinking about jumping ship.

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.
If Verizon's not going to do the Nexus 6, is there a good Android phone that isn't a Galaxy? I'd like the least amount of bloat to turn off but mostly it's just the Samsung Edge stuff I'm not fond of.

Edit: Also, is there a way to pay more towards phones you have on Verizon Edge?

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Irritated Goat posted:

If Verizon's not going to do the Nexus 6, is there a good Android phone that isn't a Galaxy? I'd like the least amount of bloat to turn off but mostly it's just the Samsung Edge stuff I'm not fond of.

Verizon pushed back the release but should have the Nexus 6 on March 12.

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

Irritated Goat posted:

The Motorolas are a better choice. The Nexus 6 isn't exactly a good phone. http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2014/11/nexus-6-review-the-premium-price-still-comes-with-compromises/

quote:

• 6 inches is too freakin' big
  • Really slow sequential read times means slow app loading and multitasking.
  • No tap-to-wake functionality like on the Nexus 9 and flagship phones from LG and HTC.
  • Thanks to the pokey sequential write speeds, the Nexus 5 feels like an overall faster device.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Irritated Goat posted:

It's easy enough to consider the Moto X as smaller (and arguably better) version of the Nexus 6. Droid Turbo is by most accounts a better phone than either (but is hideous + godawful texture.) I'd heavily consider either if you don't want to wait on a Nexus.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
Hey y'all, should I use my upgrade to get an LG G3 or a droid turbo? I'm coming from a Note 2 and while I'd love a Note 4, the sticker price is a bit too high, Basic googling seems to reveal that the G3 is a very good phone and a clear upgrade from my Note 2 but my brother suggested I take a look at the Turbo instead.

I think the G3 is prettier and like the bigger screen size, though I'm aware it's a bit weaker on the battery. Not a big deal though and since it's $100 cheaper, I'm leaning towards it for sure. Any reason why I should spend a little more and get the turbo instead?

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Really dumb question here, hope this is the best spot. My office at work is the dead middle of a 12 story building. When the wind blows the right direction, I get a cellular signal and/or my phone will ring when someone calls. Does Verizon make a device that is like a cellular signal repeater or amplifier? If so, where do I get one?

Deep Winter
Mar 26, 2010

Goober Peas posted:

Really dumb question here, hope this is the best spot. My office at work is the dead middle of a 12 story building. When the wind blows the right direction, I get a cellular signal and/or my phone will ring when someone calls. Does Verizon make a device that is like a cellular signal repeater or amplifier? If so, where do I get one?

The only Verizon one afaik is a booster that requires you to have high speed internet where you are, and uses that. I'd recommend a 3rd party solution.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Goober Peas posted:

Does your company have a corporate plan through Verizon? Depending on the value of the contract you/your employer might be able to get them to install microcells in your building.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

We do have a corporate plan with Verizon, however, for reasons, no action has been made in the past when this issue has been raised. I'm open to 3rd party solutions, if anyone has recommendations.

GamerMage
Sep 25, 2004

Goober Peas posted:

You could try a Google Voice number with calls using Hangouts.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Goober Peas posted:

We do have a corporate plan with Verizon, however, for reasons, no action has been made in the past when this issue has been raised. I'm open to 3rd party solutions, if anyone has recommendations.
In that case, Googling for "Verizon microcell" yields this pretty quickly:

http://www.verizonwireless.com/accessories/samsung-network-extender-scs-2u01/

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

In that case, Googling for "Verizon microcell" yields this pretty quickly:

http://www.verizonwireless.com/accessories/samsung-network-extender-scs-2u01/

Thanks Sexy Parrot. I feel like a dummy for not finding it on my own, but I was looking for the wrong thing!

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

KingSlime posted:

Hey y'all, should I use my upgrade to get an LG G3 or a droid turbo? I'm coming from a Note 2 and while I'd love a Note 4, the sticker price is a bit too high, Basic googling seems to reveal that the G3 is a very good phone and a clear upgrade from my Note 2 but my brother suggested I take a look at the Turbo instead.

I think the G3 is prettier and like the bigger screen size, though I'm aware it's a bit weaker on the battery. Not a big deal though and since it's $100 cheaper, I'm leaning towards it for sure. Any reason why I should spend a little more and get the turbo instead?

Quick charging.
Motos always on voice poo poo.
Actually get updates.

I loved my G3 but yeah, turbo for sure.
Have a shiny new G3 here myself. To craigslist/swappa we go. Loving this 6+

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

EbolaIvory posted:

Actually get updates.
Except the G3 has Lollipop right now and the Turbo doesn't.

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

butt dickus posted:

yeah I have a Turbo but Motorola has been uh, less than stellar with updates. There's still a ton of poo poo that needs fixing and they've been pushing out these limp wristed updates that are vague at best as to what they're actually fixing.

redstormpopcorn
Jun 10, 2007
Aurora Master

this_is_hard posted:

yeah I have a Turbo but Motorola has been uh, less than stellar with updates. There's still a ton of poo poo that needs fixing and they've been pushing out these limp wristed updates that are vague at best as to what they're actually fixing.

They're reasonably decent about releasing patch notes, but so far I've only seen updates for VOLTE stuff.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

butt dickus posted:

News to me. Mine as of last week when I stopped using it did not have lollipop.

I'd still go turbo though. It'll actually get future updates for a bit.

Keep in mind I defended the G3 in the other thread quite a bit. And I really liked my phone. It's just eh, I liked my Motos better honestly. Better build quality for sure.

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

redstormpopcorn posted:

They're reasonably decent about releasing patch notes, but so far I've only seen updates for VOLTE stuff.

its still pretty broken though from all reports. call volume is complete poo poo and they haven't addressed any of the issues that have been there since launch, namely idle battery drain and the camera lag

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

this_is_hard posted:

its still pretty broken though from all reports. call volume is complete poo poo and they haven't addressed any of the issues that have been there since launch, namely idle battery drain and the camera lag

I don't have any of those issues on my Turbo.

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.
Posted in the Choose a phone thread and was recommended here for better idea:

Quick question. I'm looking at trading in my old iPhone for a Moto X. They quoted me $200. I've got some left on my edge agreement. Do they pay that with the phone? If so, do they remove the cost of the new phone from the quote?

2nd question: How does the trade work? Simultaneous shipping or they send mine as a separate transaction? It sounds like what I'd want to do but I have to figure out specifics as I don't want to be without a phone for 8 days or so.

If possible, does Verizon do this at store if I don't mind a stock Moto X?

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

bull3964 posted:

I don't have any of those issues on my Turbo.

You don't have the front camera lag w/ low lighting conditions?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

this_is_hard posted:

You don't have the front camera lag w/ low lighting conditions?

Front camera? You mean the user facing one?

Never used it, so I can't say.

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

bull3964 posted:

Front camera? You mean the user facing one?

Never used it, so I can't say.

Yeah, IIRC it effects the Turbo and the 2014 Moto X. The camera preview will lag horribly when in low light conditions

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
After further consideration, I think I'm just going to go all out and grab a note 4.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
I just made the incredible discovery that I somehow still have an unlimited line despite being on my family's shared data plan. Allegedly this unlimited got nuked back in December when my Dad got a new phone and had to use my upgrade but I guess that wasn't the case.

So given that, is it still even possible to upgrade phones on Verizon and keep unlimited?

Also, anyone have any idea how many unlimited folks are still out there? I'm guessing it's less than 100,000 now since the plans haven't been offered in years and you have to really work at it to keep it.

axeil fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Mar 4, 2015

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

Browse slickdeals.net and search for Verizon unlimited upgrade loophole. Involves Best Buy

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew
Something really weird happened tonight. My mom (primary account holder on our family plan) called Verizon to get the insurance removed from my iphone 5. About a month ago I swapped my sim card from my moto x into the iphone with no issues. Apparently the guy helping her tried to access some details about my phone, and said there was an issue because my sim card wasn't valid. He claims Android sim cards aren't compatible with iphone sim cards. I told him that wasn't possible because I've been using it for weeks with that sim card. Whatever he did seems to have deactivated my sim card, because now when I try to call any number, I get a voice saying "Welcome to Verizon Wireless. Your number is either inactive or invalid." He told me I need to go to a store to get a new card, which is a huge inconvenience. Do you guys know how I can fix this?

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

DangerZoneDelux posted:

Browse slickdeals.net and search for Verizon unlimited upgrade loophole. Involves Best Buy

:stare: I found it and this is the longest explanation I have ever seen. Good god.

Is posting the actual method verboten on here or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy

Super Dude posted:

Something really weird happened tonight. My mom (primary account holder on our family plan) called Verizon to get the insurance removed from my iphone 5. About a month ago I swapped my sim card from my moto x into the iphone with no issues. Apparently the guy helping her tried to access some details about my phone, and said there was an issue because my sim card wasn't valid. He claims Android sim cards aren't compatible with iphone sim cards. I told him that wasn't possible because I've been using it for weeks with that sim card. Whatever he did seems to have deactivated my sim card, because now when I try to call any number, I get a voice saying "Welcome to Verizon Wireless. Your number is either inactive or invalid." He told me I need to go to a store to get a new card, which is a huge inconvenience. Do you guys know how I can fix this?

go into the store and get an iphone nano, android nano sims can act really janky in iphones

• Locked thread