Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

TunaSpleen posted:

Haha, last year at Anime Milwaukee I had to help a lady in a Yuna outfit re-sew a button to her skirt in the bathroom because she was admittedly too drunk for the dexterity required. Good times, Milwaukee. I always bring a tiny kit with a needle, thread, rubber bands, super glue, nail clippers, spirit gum, safety pins, bobby pins, hand sanitizer, and bandaids.

Now hand that kit off to a guy with a blonde mullet and a leather jacket and you've got a very convincing MacGyver cosplay.

Holy poo poo, if I ever get my Deathstroke costume off the ground, now I know what's going in all my little pouches and accessories. Form and function.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Through The Decade
Mar 3, 2010

BANANA?!?!?

I've made enough progress on my latest costume attempt that it looks like I'm actually going to finish it, so time to post about it!

Kamen Rider Baron. I've always wanted to do a Rider costume but I've mentioned previously my lack of patience and skill overall, plus I can only use smelly materials like fiberglass and paint for a couple months a year before it snows. I got a 3D printer a while ago and managed to find pepakura files for this guy, so after a crash course in Blender and a few restarts to get the scale right I'm well on my way.

I printed the front of the helmet and cast it using some odourless resin stuff from Michaels. Printed plastic is hard to sand as it tends to just melt instead, but the cast sands nicely so I'll end up with a nice smooth finish after some work. I'm not sure if I want to cast the back half for now as it's pretty large and featureless, but then again if it gets damaged it's a pain to glue in and repaint the new piece.

I have the chest mostly printed, but I haven't decided what to do about the shoulder. It's too big for the printer so I'm thinking of getting one of those foam half circles and carving it, or maybe papier mache with fiberglass on top.

Tamir Lenk
Nov 25, 2009

Commissar Canuck posted:

I'm planning on making a Doctor Doom costume in the new year and could use any sort of advice/guide/info on making armoured bits for the legs and arms. In a perfect world, I would love to make something like this:

http://imgur.com/272c5Ai

But I think this is a more realistic (and still awesome) goal:

I am working on Dr. Doom right now, but need to sort out the strapping and harness elements for the armor. If you want to tackle it in sheet metal (mostly aluminum), I can point you so some info.

Here are some of the WIP images http://imgur.com/a/nGTUZ

I've re-done the mask a few times, and the current version looks like this:

When I have things in better shape, I can try to do some pics with a more complete outfit.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Tamir Lenk posted:

I am working on Dr. Doom right now, but need to sort out the strapping and harness elements for the armor. If you want to tackle it in sheet metal (mostly aluminum), I can point you so some info.

Here are some of the WIP images http://imgur.com/a/nGTUZ

I've re-done the mask a few times, and the current version looks like this:

When I have things in better shape, I can try to do some pics with a more complete outfit.

That looks cool, very industrial. What are you planning to do to dull the inside edges around the eyes and mouth? I only ask because I would be scared about having sharp sheet metal that close to my eyes.

Tamir Lenk
Nov 25, 2009

CzarChasm posted:

That looks cool, very industrial. What are you planning to do to dull the inside edges around the eyes and mouth? I only ask because I would be scared about having sharp sheet metal that close to my eyes.

I filed them down some, but the mask sits pretty far from the face, as it's mounted on the hardhat harness and rests on the skull, not the nose/cheeks.

Faltion
Jul 4, 2004

I am an anachronism
I recently became a full-time stay at home dad and needed something to keep me creatively stimulated. I've been wanting to get into prop making for a while, to the point of taking commission work so I can feel productive. Anyway I want to specialize in mostly 3d printed prop guns. I finished my first the night before PAX South a couple of weeks ago.

It's the first gun you pick up in Destiny.

Album: http://imgur.com/a/4sMxt

Faltion fucked around with this message at 07:16 on Feb 24, 2015

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
That is almost certainly a firearm with that 3D printed lower. Also, depending on who you sold it to, how you sold it, and delivered it to the person, you may be taking great leaps towards being a felon. I would get that back and destroy the lower receiver immediately.

Faltion
Jul 4, 2004

I am an anachronism
That gun is not for sale, neither can it function as a lower receiver. Thanks for being a fear monger.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd
Ooh, those are nice. 3D printers are really nifty. Wish I had the funds/excuse to get one. About how much does it cost to print something like that out? (not accounting for painting and stuff, just the price of the plastic cartridges.)

Faltion
Jul 4, 2004

I am an anachronism
All told the total material was somewhere around a kilogram of abs plastic, which generally runs about $40-50. I didn't time it, but total print time was probably around 100 hours.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Dear god the amount of sanding you had to do....

Came out looking amazing though!

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

Faltion posted:

That gun is not for sale, neither can it function as a lower receiver. Thanks for being a fear monger.

Way to be an rear end in a top hat when someone tries to let you know you're a loving retard to dress up a gun as a toy for conventions.

Whether it can function or not is irrelevant. Being seen as easily converted and greater than 80% complete are.

Check out this other cool prop!

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy
Gun looks drat amazing. I'm entirely out of my depth when it comes to what is or isn't legal when it comes to firearms, but I'm under the impression that like 95% of that is all fabricated plastic, with a few tiny metal bits from an actual gun? Is there any actual potential for abuse if someone took those parts out and applied them to a different AR-15?

If not, I entirely fail to see what the problem is.

The only thing I'd be worried about is that the finished piece looks so MUCH like an actual drat gun, but that's one of those good problems to have, I guess.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

The ATF doesn't care what it's made out of, just what shape it's in.

Please, please, please tell me that cannot accept any actual fire-control group parts. Like, I'm hoping that's just a solid block on the inside.

Look into the sort of differences that air soft manufacturers have to add to make it not legally a gun. There was a shipment that was seized a few years back because the lowers were similar enough that you could put an actual upper on it and have it function without much modification.

Again, it legally does not matter what it is made from.

That said, it's a really cool idea and looks great. I'd love to see more of your work. Just be safe about it.

Aquarium Gravel
Oct 21, 2004

I dun shot my dick off

Faltion posted:

So you're telling me you submitted a sample of your 3D printed lower receiver to the BATFE's Technical Branch, and they've given you the green light? Because BATFE doesn't care what material it's made from. TNArmsco also makes a polymer lower receiver that accepts AR15 parts:

It would not matter if you put a bunch of non-working bits on it - the lower receiver, stripped and on it's own, is a firearm. I'm looking at the 3D printed lower receiver you've printed - clearly from someone's blueprint of a 3D printable lower receiver - and that's a firearm. It accepts AR15 fire control parts and is over 80% finish "machined". By law, a stripped lower like the one you have there is a gun ALL ON IT'S OWN, regardless of whether it's built into a working firearm after. The ATF has a pretty specific legal definition of "prop gun" and it doesn't include firearms that are built on AR15 lowers.

Also, you can't bring guns into PAX, whether they're built into non-working props or not.

Edit - laugh, we're wasting our time, I just checked, PAX is today. He's walking an AR15 lower full of fire control parts around the expo pretending it's a toy, because it's made out of ABS.

Aquarium Gravel fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Feb 24, 2015

Bummey
May 26, 2004

you are a filth wizard, friend only to the grumpig and the rattata
I was just glad to zoom in and see there wasn't a third pin hole.

MohawkSatan
Dec 20, 2008

by Cyrano4747
C'mon son, I'm a goddamned Canadian and I know that poo poo is legally a gun in the states as long as it can fit actual internals. That said, it looks damned good.

edit:

Aquarium Gravel posted:

Edit - laugh, we're wasting our time, I just checked, PAX is today. He's walking an AR15 lower full of fire control parts around the expo pretending it's a toy, because it's made out of ABS.

God loving drat. Material does not loving matter. It could be wood and still be a gun. And filling it with internals is... Not wise. At all. Even slightly.

Also ignoring TFR goons on something related to guns, and then bringing the legally-a-gun prop to loving PAX=hella dumb. Is there gonna be a betting pool on whether or not he's been arrested already?

MohawkSatan fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Feb 24, 2015

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

McKilligan posted:

Gun looks drat amazing. I'm entirely out of my depth when it comes to what is or isn't legal when it comes to firearms, but I'm under the impression that like 95% of that is all fabricated plastic, with a few tiny metal bits from an actual gun? Is there any actual potential for abuse if someone took those parts out and applied them to a different AR-15?

Legally speaking this lower part is the gun. Nothing else matters for the legal definition. In some states that is enough to cause trouble. In others it is ok to make one of those as long as you don't plan to sell it. What it is made out of doesn't matter. It doesn't matter if it immediately falls apart when you try and use it. So he may or may not have created a legal weapon and he needs to be sure he knows the difference and the applicable rules. Spartan was just trying to help a brother out and I don't know why he got called a fear monger for trying to help.

See that on the right here with all the appropriate holes and dimensions? That is the part that matters.

Atticus_1354 fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Feb 24, 2015

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

I was gonna say we should probably keep the TFR chat out of the cosplay thread, because all this gun chat hasn't been as fun as the actual costume making stuff, but now I just wanna see if this goon got his dumb rear end arrested.

I don't know anything about the legalities of firearms, but from what I gather here, as long at certain parts of the printed thing can't accept certain other parts of a "real" working gun, then it's fine, right? So if that one bit that Atticus posted was, say, filled in completely with ABS, then it wouldn't legally be considered a weapon?

foxatee
Feb 27, 2010

That foxatee is always making a Piggles out of herself.
Yeah, claiming Spartan is fear mongering is ridiculous. The guy is trying to make sure that this gun is legal and safe, and that the person who made it (and any subsequent makers) are doing things right. You don't wanna get in trouble (or possibly arrested) for your cosplay prop.

Edit: ^ I have noticed a growing trend with conventions in which any prop guns (or repurposed guns, even if filled with loving cement) are not allowed. So really, just check with the convention guidelines to be safe, and never carry the thing around in public.

foxatee fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Feb 24, 2015

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING
Unless I'm totally crazy none of the PAX conventions are this weekend, PAX South (which he mentioned in his post specifically) was in January and PAX East starts next week on March 6. So if he's getting arrested for whatever mystery firearm thing you guys are talking about it's probably not going to be today.

Also I think I'm going to do a rapidfire build of the Witch King of Angmar's helmet this weekend before I get started on my big project for the year (Lich King from WoW) so there's my on-topic life update, I guess!

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

McPantserton posted:

Unless I'm totally crazy none of the PAX conventions are this weekend, PAX South (which he mentioned in his post specifically) was in January and PAX East starts next week on March 6. So if he's getting arrested for whatever mystery firearm thing you guys are talking about it's probably not going to be today.

Also I think I'm going to do a rapidfire build of the Witch King of Angmar's helmet this weekend before I get started on my big project for the year (Lich King from WoW) so there's my on-topic life update, I guess!

You best post pictures. Your stuff's been really great inspiration for a lot of goons, and it's always fun to see this stuff come together.

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

neogeo0823 posted:

I don't know anything about the legalities of firearms, but from what I gather here, as long at certain parts of the printed thing can't accept certain other parts of a "real" working gun, then it's fine, right? So if that one bit that Atticus posted was, say, filled in completely with ABS, then it wouldn't legally be considered a weapon?

Yes If it was filled in then it wouldn't be a firearm. There is such thing as an 80% lower that is not considered a firearm and can be finished by the buyer. Read about it here. Also feel free to drop in to TFR with questions if you are building or buying something. Plenty of us are in to scifi stuff as well and would be happy to help with details and keeping you legal or tracking down the parts you need to make your stormtrooper blaster or whatever.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Atticus_1354 posted:

Yes If it was filled in then it wouldn't be a firearm. There is such thing as an 80% lower that is not considered a firearm and can be finished by the buyer. Read about it here. Also feel free to drop in to TFR with questions if you are building or buying something. Plenty of us are in to scifi stuff as well and would be happy to help with details and keeping you legal or tracking down the parts you need to make your stormtrooper blaster or whatever.

For those who don't want to read, long story short, a lower that requires specialized tools and skills to machine into a state where the necessary parts to make it fire can be inserted is not legally a firearm. The only real question as to whether or not the prop gun is legally a real gun is what parts are actually assembled.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

Faltion posted:

Anyway I want to specialize in mostly 3d printed prop guns.

That is amazing work. Gorgeous!

For anyone (which should be everyone) rolling their eyes at the idea that what he has done here could in any possible way be a felony because it's clearly and obviously a nonfunctional plastic prop of a fake videogame gun, I wish I could tell you that the previous posters were pulling your leg.
:smith:

PirateDentist
Mar 28, 2006

Sailing The Seven Seas Searching For Scurvy

Mister Sinewave posted:

That is amazing work. Gorgeous!

For anyone (which should be everyone) rolling their eyes at the idea that what he has done here could in any possible way be a felony because it's clearly and obviously a nonfunctional plastic prop of a fake videogame gun, I wish I could tell you that the previous posters were pulling your leg.
:smith:

Yeah, sadly if it's a lower with the same cutouts then legally the ATF could consider it a weapon. They couldn't give two shits what it's made of or its intent. If it's mostly solid plastic and just externally looks like an AR pattern then it's probably no more illegal than a blue gun. (Solid plastic training guns)

No one here wishes anything bad on you Faltion, it's just that A LOT of people don't know how loving weird a lot of gun laws are, and you might be putting yourself in legal risk without realizing it. Ignorance of the laws don't make a good defense.

:siren:On topic::siren:

I've been wanting to make a pepakura mask from Payday 2 for a while now. My goal is to have it done by Phoenix Comicon, May 28th. It's not one of the default heisters, but another one of the masks...

But since I should probably practice my techniques before destroying elaborate papercraft I thought I should practice. So I bought a low poly mask pattern from Wintercroft and whipped it up out of regular paper:

Oh hey that looks like poo poo. Turns out his masks need very precise cuts, and there are no tabs, tape is supposed to hold it all together. I enlarged the pattern 15% and printed it on nice heavy cardstock, manually tracing out tabs using the first mask as a guide.

That's more like it!

Much nicer lines, a lot stronger as well.

Added a coat of resin inside and out, it's quite tough now. I made a triangular bar out of cardstock and hot glued it in place to hold the sides in a bit while the resin cured.

Next up I'm going to fiberglass the inside. Does it need it? Probably not, but fiberglass is cheap and I'd like the extra strength in the final one for wearing around a couple days at a con.

I really need to start work on getting a pepakura model made from the game files so I can start on the final one though, to my knowledge no one has made a real life version of the mask I'll be making.

Aquarium Gravel
Oct 21, 2004

I dun shot my dick off
Looks like PAX South was actually a month ago.

Also, I want it to be clear that I'm trying to help. It doesn't matter if his possible crime(?) was unwitting, you can still get nailed to the wall for it, especially if you provide detailed photo proof of it on the internet. I worry, for him, that the Justice Dept. probably has a vested interest in ensuring that people don't make a habit/job of treating 3D printers as a way to make and sell a part that legally constitutes a firearm with the entire raft of laws attached and sell them nationwide as toys, covered in other toy parts. They've jumped all over Airsoft importers, at one point, by claiming that Airsoft M4 lookalike rifles - which only fired 6mm plastic BBs using CO₂ - could be converted into real guns, even though the sizes and shapes were wrong for that. I personally think you should be able to print whatever you like. I hope that, in this forum where people build things for fun, that pointing out a potentially hazardous legal pitfall that could possibly get people felonied-up, would be seen as an attempt to assist people in either steering clear of that particular course of action, or at least knowing and following all applicable laws if you must.

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

quote:

Black parts are real metal parts made for an AR-15
Those real metal parts are the fire control group (trigger, hammer, safety). If they fit in the lower receiver, the lower is a firearm. The best thing to do is destroy the lower (or not use it for cosplay) and re-print it with the fire control area filled in.

Faltion
Jul 4, 2004

I am an anachronism
So I was off doing my day job and totally get arrested and all that. This particular gun isn't for cosplay or for sale, and if someone wanted to pull it apart to find out if it was able to be used as a lower it would destroy it considering it's chemically fused to the upper, magazine, and the stock. If I was to make another one I'd print it completely different to cover my rear end anyway and make it sure it couldn't be considered a firearm at all, which was totally on my mind the entire time of this gun's construction, and why I am hesitant to make a second copy. I collect guns as a hobby and I'm not a loving moron. Even if someone wanted to classify the part outside what I intended for in it's creation it is legal to create a firearm in my jurisdiction for personal use and not for sale (as mentioned), and since it isn't an NFA item I don't know what law I'd potentially be breaking. So maybe we keep to the to cosplay talk in here instead of summoning tfr?

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING

neogeo0823 posted:

You best post pictures. Your stuff's been really great inspiration for a lot of goons, and it's always fun to see this stuff come together.

:blush: Aww thanks. I'll always post pictures here, I love this thread. I don't really post progress stuff anywhere besides here and on my facebook page.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

Faltion posted:

So maybe we keep to the to cosplay talk in here instead of summoning tfr?

Stop posting guns in the cosplay thread and the gun forum will stop visiting it (probably, some of us were watching this thread before that though)

McPantserton, your stuff is always amazing. Keep posting updates please!

foxatee
Feb 27, 2010

That foxatee is always making a Piggles out of herself.

Faltion posted:

So maybe we keep to the to cosplay talk in here instead of summoning tfr?

I have no idea why you're being such a dick to those trying to help not just you, but other builders who may not be educated in the Dos and Don'ts of firearm safety (when it comes to cosplay).

----

Gimme all the photos, McP! ALL THE PHOTOS!

Faltion
Jul 4, 2004

I am an anachronism
Sorry, being told I should immediately destroy my work or be raided by the BATFE on allegations that I've committed a crime comes off as pretty offensive to me.

I'd like to move past the negativity of my previous project. Here's what I'm working on, another gun from Destiny, a Hawkmoon hand cannon in quick mockup:

It's my first commissioned piece so I'm pretty excited about it. I'm about to start finishing on it. It's 17 parts and something like 30 hours of printing. I wish the natural abs didn't obscure the details so much.

Faltion fucked around with this message at 07:33 on Feb 25, 2015

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Faltion posted:

Sorry, being told I should immediately destroy my work or be raided by the BATFE on allegations that I've committed a crime comes off as pretty offensive to me.

You're the guy who stated he was making works for sale (and you still imply that is the case, even in your now-edited post.)
The replies have been more or less polite and factual, to help educate you and more importantly any others who might be reading.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

The Oath Breaker's about to hit warphead nine Kaptain!
What brand of 3D printer are you using to make your guns?

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

Faltion posted:

I'd like to move past the negativity of my previous project. Here's what I'm working on, another gun from Destiny, a Hawkmoon hand cannon in quick mockup:

It's my first commissioned piece so I'm pretty excited about it. I'm about to start finishing on it. It's 17 parts and something like 30 hours of printing. I wish the natural abs didn't obscure the details so much.

This is super cool and I hope it leads to fewer painted nerf guns.

Faltion
Jul 4, 2004

I am an anachronism

BlackIronHeart posted:

What brand of 3D printer are you using to make your guns?

It's a modified Makerbot 2X. I print at .15mm resolution.

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

Why does everything STILL smell like pussy?

What amuses me is that it's like five minutes of work with some ABS and a heat gun to cram plastic into the cavity until it's not a lower any more, and maybe ten minutes with your 3d editor of choice to alter the file so it prints without a cavity. Did you not do any of that Faltion?

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Why would he? He didn't know at the time (or didn't care then and doesn't now anyway) so why would he bother? And it's glued together now in a way that it can't be pulled apart without destroying it so it's not feasible to go back in and do it if he cared, which he doesn't really.

It's not likely he'll wreck his awesome prop just so he doesn't get arrested in an ATF raid on his way back from buying diapers or whatever so I think the issue's over and done with.

vvv I think you're still missing the point (which is what is legally considered a firearm which has nothing to do with whether it can actually fire a shot or survive doing so) but w/e at this point.

The Eyes Have It fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Feb 26, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Faltion
Jul 4, 2004

I am an anachronism
It's not like I just grabbed an AR15 lower and slapped it on the gun. Parts of it are fused and filled to render it unoperable. I even snapped the drat stock off the thing once during construction so the inside is even more of a mess after I slathered it with epoxy and abs paste (made of acetone and abs bits) to regain some structure. I guess if you wanted to snap the upper off the lower, breaking the incredibly weak takedown pin support holes and then somehow mate it to an actual upper, ignoring the fused faux magazine, you could pull a bolt back into the nonexistent buffer tube, snap off the stock, and then discover there's not even a hammer or disconnector in the thing. If that's what someone wants to do, be my guest.