Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque può essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

Pook Good Mook posted:

Incidentally, if China ever does start qualifying readily for the finals expect to see an even larger call from the Middle East to get their own league. Especially if Australia stays in the Asian federation. Personally I'd be all for the Middle East getting a league if FIFA also requires that Israel be in it.

Surely this would just be a major exercise in nose-cutting and face-spiting? The AFC's ranking is held up by Japan, Korea and Australia, the best they could hope for without them is a couple of World Cups where one Arab team gets hosed harder than they did by Sykes and Picot and then afterwards being relegated to a play-off with New Zealand/Jamaica for a single spot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group
This was a story I read back when they had the final teams qualify for 2014, there was an interview with someone in FIFA that if the AFC wasn't expanded then the middle east would seek their own confederation. What I took was, give us a better chance to qualify our rented players or we start spending our money elsewhere.

Blue Star Error
Jun 11, 2001

For this recipie you will need:
Football match (Halftime of), Celebrity Owner (Motivational speaking of), Sherry (Bottle of)

Either this graph is using old data, Qatar genuinely have stopped killing their workers, or they've stopped counting them. The death toll was at ~1000 just counting Indians and Nepalis over a year ago.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Blue Star Error posted:

The death toll was at ~1000 just counting Indians and Nepalis over a year ago.

Out of nowhere Kwagga has just gotten a semi.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
How are they all dying are they really clumsy?

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Pissflaps posted:

How are they all dying are they really clumsy?

Qatar is hot

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747
Nepalis have thicker blood due to living at high altitude and as a result producing more red blood cells. When they work at sea level dehydration and heat stroke thicken their blood and the excess stress on the heart leads to cardiac arrest.

edit: But anyone working in the conditions the Qataris provide would die of heat stroke in the same fashion. Its just white people tend not to be so poor that working for a few cents a day in the desert seems a good option.

Poonior Toilett
Aug 21, 2004

m'lady

Kurtofan posted:

Qatar is hot

hot drat

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003

Kurtofan posted:

Qatar is hot

Kind of glad the World Cup is going to be in winter then. Good on FIFA for using their brains in this situation.

opus111
Jul 6, 2014

Der Shovel posted:

This poo poo is making me irrationally angry and I'm melting down IRL a bit over here. A bunch of corrupt cunts ruin the greatest sporting event in the world for their bribes, cover their lies with more outrageous lies and not only get away with it, but also get rich doing it.

Where's a bunch of angry terrorists when you need them?

Same.

azathosk
Aug 20, 2006

Sup guys?
Oh, this is just getting better and better:'

quote:

The date of 18 December remains a strong possibility for the final - it is Qatar’s national day and also falls on a Sunday, and would be early enough for the festive club programme in England to take place.

Valcke also confirmed that the 2022 World Cup will be four days shorter as a “concession” to the league and clubs, 28 days instead of the usual 32, and that the Africa Cup of Nations in 2023 will be moved from January to June.

And

quote:

Valcke told a news conference in Doha after a Qatar 2022 organising committee board meeting: “It’s not perfect, we know that - but why are we talking about compensation? It’s happening once, we’re not destroying football.

Dunban
Jul 4, 2012

OH MY GOD GLOVER
Football is dead, it can't be destroyed any more than it already is

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
I can't wait to see the thrilling Premier League matches that will result from players flying home from the World Cup and having to play in club matches two days later.

Hegay
Jun 29, 2012

Bundesliga has a 10 day winter break, which is apparently why Germany won??

Kwagga
Jun 11, 2002

I am small

vyelkin posted:

I can't wait to see the thrilling Premier League matches that will result from players flying home from the World Cup and having to play in club matches two days later.

More reason to have homegrown players then IMO. Smart managers can start investing in English talent now and by the time the World Cup comes around they'll have their full squad back home and rested within a couple of days of the group stage finishing.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Hamas Rodriguez posted:

More reason to have homegrown players then IMO. Smart managers can start investing in English talent now and by the time the World Cup comes around they'll have their full squad back home and rested within a couple of days of the group stage finishing.

The way the Premier League TV deal is going, by 2022 every single player who goes to the World Cup will be registered with an English club and paid 100k/week or more.

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003

At the same press conference:

quote:

The 2021 Confederations Cup will not be held in Qatar, FIFA announced on Wednesday.

Jerome Valcke, FIFA secretary general, said the tournament will be played "in an Asian country", but Qatar had been ruled out because of its climate.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
It's going to be tearjerking when the Qatar national team wins the cup on their national day

generally I prefer
Apr 17, 2006

Tigren posted:

and also because none of the stadiums will be ready by then either

Hegay
Jun 29, 2012

I don't give a poo poo about where the World Cup is played as long, the working conditions etc, I just want a World Cup that's played in the summer and not in an environment where the players will die of heat exhaustion. gently caress you FIFA. No more sitting in a park with cold beers on a hot summer day watching the footie on a big screen w. mates, rip.

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

Tigren posted:

:laffo:

Kwagga
Jun 11, 2002

I am small

Hegay posted:

I don't give a poo poo about where the World Cup is played as long, the working conditions etc, I just want a World Cup that's played in the summer and not in an environment where the players will die of heat exhaustion. gently caress you FIFA. No more sitting in a park with cold beers on a hot summer day watching the footie on a big screen w. mates, rip.

oh poo poo i didnt even begin to think about the viewing experience for me. loving hell. watching indoors no big screens out in the centre of the city gently caress

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

Hamas Rodriguez posted:

oh poo poo i didnt even begin to think about the viewing experience for me. loving hell. watching indoors no big screens out in the centre of the city gently caress

I think watching a game on the big screen on the edge of the christmas market with a hot cup of gluhwein or vin brule might be fun but it is a drastic shift and there are too many clothes to wear during this time imo.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack
lol at "TV" we'll have holographic displays where you gather round and watch the players in 3d like on star wars by then. Fact.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
4k illegal internet streams ftw bring on 2022

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

JFairfax posted:

4k illegal internet streams ftw bring on 2022

You know drat well FIFA will spend millions to shut down one illegal online stream before they spend a cent in workers' conditions.

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me
Lmbo if you think you'll get a beer or a nice hot toddy under the International Caliphate.

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010
So they moved the african championship to the summer? Uhh

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

Gigi Galli posted:

I think watching a game on the big screen on the edge of the christmas market with a hot cup of gluhwein or vin brule might be fun but it is a drastic shift and there are too many clothes to wear during this time imo.

An italian that likes glühwein. shameful.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Syncopated posted:

they could hold it somewhere down below the equator so it could be in the winter.

oldman
Dec 15, 2003
grumpy

Guitar_Hero posted:

and also because none of the stadiums will be ready by then either

Isn't that the whole point of the confederations cup? To be a kind of dress rehearsal for the World Cup?

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

I will have a whole army of zombies! A zombie Marine Corps, a zombie Navy Corps, zombie Space Cadets...

Syncopated posted:

Syncopated posted:

The juiciness of forcing the poorest continent to play in a hot as gently caress summer just so some oil barons get their way.

oldman
Dec 15, 2003
grumpy
Well, at least this should make certain that the 2023 Asian Cup won't be held in the Middle East or Australia. :)

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

oldman posted:

Well, at least this should make certain that the 2023 Asian Cup won't be held in the Middle East or Australia. :)

I hope the 2021 confed cup is held in Australia and they rub FIFA's faces in it the whole time.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

African AIDS cum posted:

I know how that is
-Ched Evans

lol

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

quote:

Fifa has effectively admitted handing a lucrative World Cup television rights contract to Rupert Murdoch’s Fox network in order to head off the threat of legal action over the decision to move the Qatar 2022 tournament to winter.

Jérôme Valcke, the Fifa secretary general, said no rules had been broken in awarding the rights to the 2026 tournament to Fox and NBC-owned Telemundo in the US without a tender.

Fox had been among the most vocal critics of the decision to switch the 2022 tournament to November in order to avoid the country’s summer heat, because the new dates would clash with the NFL season and college sport. “We have done what we had to do in order to protect Fifa and the organisation of the World Cup,” Valcke said.

Fox paid $425m for the rights to the 2018 World Cup in Russia and the 2022 tournament in Qatar three years ago when Fifa was still insisting it would take place in the summer.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2015/feb/25/fifa-world-cup-tv-rights-jerome-valcke-fox-telemundo-legal-fight

Incredible. What a bribe.

Blue Star Error
Jun 11, 2001

For this recipie you will need:
Football match (Halftime of), Celebrity Owner (Motivational speaking of), Sherry (Bottle of)
They are going to give the 2026 cup to USA with no tender too and I'm going to have a big gay meltdown about it

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

Watch the no-bid award to fox end up being called a bribe attempt of a US company, and THATS what ends Fifa

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747
There was clear court and royal enquiry tested evidence that Fox were in breach of the foreign corrupt practices act and the FBI declined to investigate or bring forward charges for prosecution. I doubt something as minor as a no bid contract would make them act if literal bribery of public officials and police didn't. Also alleged complicity in at least 2 murders.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Blue Star Error posted:

They are going to give the 2026 cup to USA with no tender too and I'm going to have a big gay meltdown about it

If we're lucky Blatter will have died before anything to do with the 2026 world cup happens and FIFA will meltdown instead